malickfan
Ringdrotten
azriel
Forest Shepherd
Sinister71
14 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 3 Empty Re: script writing for the Hobbit...

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:33 pm

well there was supposed to be an award ceremony.... but Petty....was well...Petty Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 3 Empty Re: script writing for the Hobbit...

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:12 pm

Its still happening! Patience! And buckie!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:14 am

Forest - if you need something to perk you up, the squabbling on the Who thread has been bracingly vigorous this last week.  Otherwise it's been rather sleepy with no new Hobbit news to look forward to.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:16 am

Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:50 pm

halfwise wrote: no new Hobbit news to look forward to.

Suspect

Look forward to? My feeling of excitement left me about August 2011...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:51 am

Hobbits?
Bah! HUMBUG!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:17 am

There's always more squabbling on the Who thread though. Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:55 am

Thats not squabbling, its just me correcting everyone else on just how very wrong they are. Nod

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Rolling Eyes du-uh
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:30 am

Still working on it, but right at the moment I'm taking it very slow. I have actually been working on a heavy metal album writing and demoing. I have 7 songs written and want to have about 20 to 30 by the time I record them past the rough demo stage.

For those who want to read my script, Thank You from the bottom of my heart... I know that when I have a version I am happy with and its all ready to seal away for the day when the franchise gets a reboot, I will definitely share with you guys. Like I said right now its going slow. My script writing partner is readying another manuscript, so they have been busy on their own project for the last couple weeks.

One thing I found out is I am really mediocre with Dialogue LOL. I was told I am "not horrible" but "not excellent at it" either. The dialogue from the book and appendices at this point do have minor deviations, but over all, is very darn close to the way Tolkien wrote it.

Once its done to my satisfaction I'll get some email addresses and send out a few copies

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 am

good luck with your projects Sin. I think dialogue is flipping difficult to do. it seems easy but its the most difficult bit I reckon.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:50 am

Once its done to my satisfaction I'll get some email addresses and send out a few copies- Sin

Thumbs Up

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:09 am

Mrs Figg wrote:good luck with your projects Sin. I think dialogue is flipping difficult to do. it seems easy but its the most difficult bit I reckon.

Thanks I'm actually hoping that this music album I'm working on might lead to the end of me having a "day job". I have musicians (guys I grew up with who got lucky) who are already in world touring  "professional" bands gonna help me record this summer. They think the songs are good and are donating their time when they are off tour. So I really am knocking on wood, keeping my fingers crossed and all that kind of stuff. Everything works out the way it does for a reason

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:06 am

That sounds promising Sin. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:14 pm

Sinister71 wrote:
One thing I found out is I am really mediocre with Dialogue LOL. I was told I am "not horrible" but "not excellent at it" either. The dialogue from the book and appendices at this point do have minor deviations, but over all, is very darn close to the way Tolkien wrote it.

Once its done to my satisfaction I'll get some email addresses and send out a few copies

Dialogue has always seemed one of the hardest things about filmaking to me, how do you balance selling the realism of the characters, with entertaining wordplay? I find some filmmakers get so into the script, they end coming across as pretentious or self indulgent (or at the other end of things, merely translating plot points into Dialogue, you don't want to fall into 'Quick Thorin, we must run to Dooogly Door, before the Thrimy Thrams cross the ranging river of Tingily Bong ere Night creeps over the Farty Fells' mode, for the average film goer, its just an entertaining ride filmakers should never focus too much on the heightened fantasy or aim towards the hardcore fans imo, though obviously it's not my place to say who you should aim things at...perhaps Jackson's films are a blessing, most people should be familiar with the basic story by now...) obviously cinema is escapism, but Mr Tarantino I don't think people really have 10 minute monologues full of complicated one liners on the fly in real life...

Although Tolkien's Dialogue is usually excellent, it sometimes felt out of place in Jackson's films, modern one liners don't gel all that well with middle age esque ruminations on death. Depending on how faithful you are to the spirit of LOTR or The Hobbit it might be kinda hard to mesh the dialogue tones of the two works faithfully I guess

Anyway, good to hear things are going Ok Sin, good luck with your projects.Thumbs Up

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38 pm

the writers for GOT seem to have the balance just right. considering its faux medieval fantasy. It never gets out of the bounds of possibility, apart from Littlefinger, and he skates close to the wind a couple of times, heck what am I saying, always. Laughing hes a bit wordy.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Tolkien's Dialogue is usually excellent, it sometimes felt out of place in Jackson's films- Malick

When I watched LotR's (my edits of course!) with my little brother for the first time and it got to Edoras where Wormtongue, in Eowyns chamber, says Gandalfs lines from the houses of Healing about her, which is one of the few actual chunks of genuine Tolkien in the films, he turned and said to me in all innocence having never read the books, "I think these films would be better if everyone spoke like that."

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:50 pm

a trutch to hammel some wild thing :clap:
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Tolkien's Dialogue is usually excellent, it sometimes felt out of place in Jackson's films- Malick

When I watched LotR's (my edits of course!) with my little brother for the first time and it got to Edoras where Wormtongue, in Eowyns chamber, says Gandalfs lines from the houses of Healing about her, which is one of the few actual chunks of genuine Tolkien in the films, he turned and said to me in all innocence having never read the books, "I think these films would be better if everyone spoke like that."

Better perhaps, but more popular...no.

More than a few of the people I know who have read the books after watching the film struggle with the dialogue, I know my 10 year old self probably would have found the films less enjoyable if everyone spoke like they were from Beowulf, not saying it's right, but Jackson understood LOTR was a difficult book to adapt, the changes he made could arguably be justified due to the films success Sofa

I may be alone on this in this forum, but if Jackson hadn't made a sweeping epic blockbuster version of the book, the films probably wouldn't have been as sucessful, I would probably have never been interested enough to read the book, and you would have to argue with figgs on a different forum.

Shrugging

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 pm

you are certainly not alone Malick. I agree with you 100%. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 pm

well after pouring over notes and notes and pages of Tolkien. I really am trying to keep the dialogue on point with how Tolkien would have done it. My writing partner has some great ideas and has been looking at Tolkien's notes and influences as well, to maintain the feel of his work through into what we are doing.  I have also been looking at medieval conversations and the way they talked in general without seeming like an elitist snob about the dialogue. I still want it to be entertaining but still be Tolkien. I find British humor more on point to bring Tolkien to life than Jackson's toilet humor. Me myself being an American find it English humor hilarious, most of my friends think I'm crazy

My writing partner asked me WHY i was doing this again and I explained I am doing this for my love of the work of Tolkien, my thoughts that the material can be made into a cohesive entertaining script without sacrificing the essence and story of the book just to make an adaptation. They haven't seen the movies of the Hobbit yet but promised me they would watch them to compare them to the source material. My fingers are crossed with all the irons I have in the fire right now :brows:

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:51 am

Spent the day rewriting 3 pages of the script that got corrupted somehow. Tried to do some proof reading today and got to the 55th page in my script and it was just gibberish. Page 55, 56, and 57 all a mess. No idea how it happened. Mouses went flying computer almost did as well. My wonderful wife calmed me down in about half and hour. But at that point I was rather upset. Normally I keep a back up but this time had forgotten to so I had to go back in and rewrite those pages... THIS TIME I have a back up on 2 separate thumb drives. I know a week ago I had an issue with Mozilla and had to completely uninstall it from my computer, but since it had nothing to do with Microsoft Office I didn't think anything of it. Wondering if that is where the problem came from. I also put a copy on my wife's computer.

What a day.

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:58 am

Bugger- hate it when stuff like that happens. Mad
Id recommend trying Open Office over Microsoft Word.
Doubt that was the issue, just I recommend Open Office in general and like to see open source programs supported.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:13 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Bugger- hate it when stuff like that happens.  Mad
Id recommend trying Open Office over Microsoft Word.
Doubt that was the issue, just I recommend Open Office in general and like to see open source programs supported.

Thanks Petty... Like i said I'm not sure what happened. probably my stupid luck for not making a back up LOL I use Microsoft office because through work I got the big bundle of it for $9.99 normal price was around $130 or $140 for the one we got. but it was a deal through work so I took it. It's always been reliable until now

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:20 am

Use Google docs. Backs up right to the cloud as you type.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next