malickfan
Ringdrotten
azriel
Forest Shepherd
Sinister71
14 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 7 Empty Re: script writing for the Hobbit...

Post by Sinister71 Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:03 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Yeah. Did you say somewhere that you felt Peter Jackson just lost interest in the movies when they didn't have the popular culture impact he expected? That's very much how the ending felt to me, anyway. Like he lost interest.  Shrugging

I have said that before, but I know others here have said it too. That's exactly how it felt to me though. Like because his experiment in 48FPS didn't have the impact he wanted he lost interest in the films overall. I mean I feel he should have concentrated on the story rather than all the bells and whistles of 48fps, or 3D. But as you can tell there was always something flying at the screen or some big OTT action sequence designed to show off the new technology. He was so animated in the Vlog about the epic red cameras making such a big deal about them. I get technology but when you have a tried and true method in front of you that has never failed you. You should stick with what works especially when your doing a set of films directly related to what you already did before.

I think once DOS didn't get the same anticipation and hype from fans as AUJ he completely lost interest. Just the story telling over all in the third film indicates such a thing. Not to mention the abrupt ending. I mean he barely did any Vlogs for the second film and there were NONE for third film at all.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 7 Empty Re: script writing for the Hobbit...

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:05 pm

The vlogs were supposed to be production diaries, so they focused on the filming process, not editing. Most of the filming was done before AUJ, with lengthy pickups before DOS, and very little before BOFA. So the releases of vlogs makes sense to me.

I'm sure PJ was disappointed by the reception a little bit, but I don't want to speculate too much about his thought process.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Yeah, one should probably also consider that there was no further filming made for the third movie. And making a movie up in the editing room probably had some effect. It just seems sloppy to me though. Thrown together with little care. Because that ending didn't make a whole lot of sense in the end. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:28 am

Eldorion wrote:The vlogs were supposed to be production diaries, so they focused on the filming process, not editing. Most of the filming was done before AUJ, with lengthy pickups before DOS, and very little before BOFA. So the releases of vlogs makes sense to me.

I'm sure PJ was disappointed by the reception a little bit, but I don't want to speculate too much about his thought process.

Maybe but there is so much cool stuff IMHO in the editing process that they could have touched on, and at least given us 2 more Vlogs to document the post production work.

It seemed to me that once Jackson realized things weren't going the route he had hoped for he quit giving a crap and just slapped the final cut of the film together without any real thought into it. Other than what to save for the EE.

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:10 am

Maybe if the editing in these movies was actually good, but there's some really atrocious stuff here. Plus they did a whole thing in the editing room with PJ and Jabez during the live event for DOS back in 2013.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:39 am

bungobaggins wrote:Maybe if the editing in these movies was actually good, but there's some really atrocious stuff here. Plus they did a whole thing in the editing room with PJ and Jabez during the live event for DOS back in 2013.

The editing of the third film was atrocious, like I said I think Jackson had given up by that point and the editing is the proof. I mean its as if he just quit giving a shit and phoned in the editing choices for the final film. Even the EE of DOS the editing wasn't up to par with any of the LOTR films

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:23 am

The Kili or is it Fili! death scene with Tauriel is appallingly edited- well actually its excellently edited if you were making a parody, but as a supposed emotional serious scene, all the long slo-mo cuts back and forth are just hysterical, there are so many of them.
I cant believe professionals made that and didn't think it looked like a editing in-joke.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:26 am

Speaking of in-jokes, did anyone hear the Wilhelm scream in BOFA?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:50 am

I'm sure it was in there but I can't recall off the top of my head.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Perhaps they left it to the audience. You know, like a performance art thing. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:22 pm

I'm so going to win #mostliberal, aren't I. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:27 pm

watching BO5A I remember feeling like being in the Dentists waiting room reading a tatty copy of Readers Digest, only there are some interesting articles in Readers Digest. Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:37 pm

She aint wrong chuck Nod

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 7 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:37 pm

Eldorion wrote:I'm sure it was in there but I can't recall off the top of my head.

Found it! Very Happy {{{Razz}}}

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Heard it ! Razz

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 7 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 7 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:48 pm

I fuckin' lost it. slap laugh

Quick, someone make a "funniest video edit" award so we can give it to bungo. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:20 am

Oscars

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:53 pm

That's just trolling. Mad I took that for the real thing. Mad

Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:00 am

Sinister71 wrote:well I must say my Thorin so far is a wind bag but his word count is not as much as Bilbo's.  My Thorin is kind of a pompous ass, thinking himself above the entire company. Not to say he doesn't have civil conversations with them but there are many times in what i wrote where he has a condescending tone. I did give a few of Thorin's lines to Balin, like Thorin was above Bilbo at one point and Balin was kind of Thorin's second relaying his wishes or intentions to Bilbo. But have edited it back to the way it was in the book for the most part

I want to keep my story Bilbo-centric showing him as the main character and that it is his story and not Thorin's or Gandalf's as Jackson did
Well I don't see how the bold can work out. Giving Thorin's invented dialogue to Balin is not returning things back to the way they were in the book.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:26 pm

Like I said Forest for the most part everything has been put back to the way the book had it. Dialogue returned to characters who originally had it. But I found there are certain things that are needed to make a character come across in a certain way. delivery can only get you so far, the rest has to be in the way the lines are delivered. and by whom they are delivered. I want Thorin coming across as he is too good to talk to someone of Bilbo's stature unless it is necessary.Some of the lines Thoriin have could be given by another dwarf in order to make Thorin seem like he feels he is above Bilbo's stature

Thorin in the book is not a very likable character, which should be conveyed in the story as well, he is a character who knows he is in line to be king even though there is no kingdom at the time and demands the respect a king should be given. Balin knows him better than any of the other dwarfs, so rather than have Thorin lower himself to talk to Bilbo in some instances I figured a dwarf of a lower status that Thorin, who knows him from the glory days of Thorin and his kingdom would intervene on Thorin's behalf, sort of as an educator. This way Bilbo may better understand Thorin without Throin actually having to explain himself, which in his mind everyone should already know. (Like I said pompous ass, he thinks he is more famous or well known than he really is)

I hate to admit it but sometimes things need to be changed slightly to get a story across. In my version I want to get across that this is Thorin's last shot, not at regaining his homeland but at getting his treasure back. I want to get across how big a dick Thorin is. I don't want him being a heart throb, I don't want him likable. I wan't people to associate with Bilbo,and wonder why Bilbo is going through all this for someone who is an asshole. Thorin will have moments where he respects Bilbo and treats him kindly and then moments where they are becoming friends but at the height of their relationship Bilbo takes the Arkenstone and breaks that friendship for the time being, to save Thorin from himself. By the end Thorin will change from the pompous ass he was in the beginning to a more humble dwarf and Bilbo will go from a timid, shy Hobbit to someone who is sure of his own worth and has the confidence to over come anything he sets his mind to.

Last edited by Sinister71 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:48 am; edited 2 times in total

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:03 am

Well reasoned.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:45 am

Seems legit.

(Of course I haven't seen this draft yet)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:50 am

once its ready and I feel its as good as it can get I plan on sharing it. I've lost track of how many hours have gone into this thing. So it definitely a passionate project for me to say the least

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:12 pm

I thought they would make Galadriel look more like this, but they didnae No

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 7 Imagesvnnnm_zps2migvzy4
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:16 pm

That looked pretty dumb, too.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next