malickfan
Ringdrotten
azriel
Forest Shepherd
Sinister71
14 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

script writing for the Hobbit... Empty script writing for the Hobbit...

Post by Sinister71 Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:57 am

Figured I would create a post to update everyone on it in here, instead of hijacking other threads. Things are going along well. I am to the mountain, on my first Draft of it.
I did keep a few of Jackson's more logical choices, and change a few things to make a bit more sense in places. The dwarfs rescue Bilbo together from the trolls like Jackson's version, they also start the quest with weapons and gear. I kept Jackson's idea of Thorin arriving later than everyone else. Lastly I kept the spiders voices associated with Bilbo wearing the ring, however it is not eluded to the ring Bilbo finding having any association with Sauron or the one ring. It's a mere trinket. But other than those few things much different. First off NO Tauriel. Then I have Thror with a very small group of dwarfs entering Moria when he is killed. All off screen other than his head being tossed out the door, as Azog emerges. I included Azog's head on a spike.Dain is shown early on killing Azog, with Bolg nearby. I did want their being kin to be evident and reason for Bold to want revenge. The contract is shown but Bilbo gives it back to Thorin, when he declines. Gandalf shows up next morning advising Bilbo he is late and proceeds to nudge him out the door, no backpack or walking stick. Bilbo is given a hood and cloak much too large for him. Bolg does show up right after goblin town as the bad guy chasing the dwarfs up the trees. There is no connection between Bolg and the necromancer. Beorn is strictly human looking, and his introduction is the next morning similar to the EE edition but the night before the dwarfs are fleeing something unseen. Could be an animal could be orcs, its unknown all they know is something is after them and the came across what appears to be an empty cottage and barricade themselves inside. I also included Beorn calling Bilbo "a little bunny" and commenting on him getting fat again.No kids for Bard and he is a bit older than the Bard in the films, Bilbo goes into Smaugs lair twice,  the first trip he brings a cup back out. Balin actually follows Bilbo almost to the bottom but chickens out last minute. Legolas is in Mirkwood but just briefly. The necromancer I have written in much darker and ambiguous. Only references to Sauron are small and visual only.  And there's none of this crap about the last light being the moonlight. The thrush is in, as are Roac and Carc. I haven't gotten to the battle yet, but there will be no Dune worms, or Legolas being super human or elven if you like. Smaug goes to the side of the mountain to look for the dwarfs and destroys the door trapping them all inside. Laketown's destiny is unknown to the dwarfs until Bard and Thranduil approach about restitution for its destruction. No white gems nonsense either. Thranduil is kind enough to the dwarfs but imprisons them similar to the book. Haven't decided about the Arkenstone yet, I feel I need to make it important but still figuring it out.

It's a work in progress right now

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

script writing for the Hobbit... Empty Re: script writing for the Hobbit...

Post by Sinister71 Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:06 am

I have also kept elements of the old Bilbo intro but it's nothing like Jackson's. No Frodo. Just an older Bilbo writing at his desk humming " the road goes ever on". Nothing fancy simple shot of Bagged coming around and over Bilbo shoulder to see him writing his memoirs. No facial shot just older hair than young Bilbo. Which I might change to showing a face and having a twinkle in his eye of the memory of his adventure. I am still just on the first draft

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:20 am

Well, thanks for keeping us posted!

I find it strange some of the Jackson and Co. unnecessaries that you have kept, but oh well.

(I must also admit to feeling rather disappointed that you do not have real talking animals in your script.)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:27 am

There is conversation between Thorin & Roac that peejers didnt include ? And Bard could understand bird speech from a thrush ? Shame peejers didnt make it clear that Bard was more noble than we thought & not just some grimey fisherman or barrel runner ?

script writing for the Hobbit... Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

script writing for the Hobbit... Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:45 pm

I have no animals talking however they do make an appearance in Beorn's home. Making their natural noises and sounds and Beorn answers back twice in common tongue. And they are pretty much like normal animals. Although I did substitute dogs and such for creatures who can use their hands, like raccoons. But Beorn mainly serves his guests. But I did include rabbits, foxes, raccoons, pigs, goats, and farm type poultry (chickens, ducks, geese) and yes the bees. The Ravens are in, Roac and Carc both speak. I kind of used parots as my model for them, just taking it to the next level giving them intelligence instead of just mimicking. My Bard is the leader of the Lake town militia, is grim but honest. I've kind of made him someone who just wants to be left alone but knows his duty and has earned his rank. But it's not one he took lightly. He does carry himself nobly but isn't someone who expects things because of his heritage. He believes a man should be judged by his own merits and deeds. The thrush is just like the book,. I kind of ripped of the 1977 cartoon a bit, by making Bard agitated by the thrush and then being surprised he can understand it. The black arrow speech is in it. So far all the iconic things that are in the book are in my script. Even the talking purse, even though it is reduced to a plain purse in the troll horde, and it's dialog given to one of the trolls. Bilbo gets caught trying to pinch some food for the dwarfs in my version.

One change I don't know if anyone will like is one of the dwarfs is thought dead after escaping the woodland realm. While all the other barrels make it to safety, Bifur's barrel gets swept into the Rapids and he is last seen going over a waterfall. He is presumed dead. Later he shows up right before the dwarfs leave Laketown. I chose him cause I hated that stupid Axe in his head in the films.

Like I've said before I am a huge fan of the historical realism, used for the most part in LOTR. I like reality based fantasy. This is still only my first draft though, once it's done I'll proof read it through and make any changes.

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:04 pm

azriel wrote:There is conversation between Thorin & Roac that peejers didnt include ? And Bard could understand bird speech from a thrush ? Shame peejers didnt make it clear that Bard was more noble than we thought & not just some grimey fisherman or barrel runner ?

Yes and yes... The Ravens are speaking in common tongue. They were bred by the dwarfs as couriers for centuries. Although Roac's speech is much more primal than Carc's. Years of nobody training them but the older ravens. And Bard understands the thrush but is surprised he can. It's been 175 or so years so Bard hasn't seen it first hand but has heard tales. I kept a similar time line so that the people of Laketown no matter how old would have reason to doubt Smaug's existence.

It's a work in progress

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:01 am

I like your thoughts so far, Sin, this sounds good. Not sure I like Bifur's disappearance and presumed death, though (like you said) - I can understand that you disliked the axe, I think we all did, but the dwarves in your TH will look like proper dwarves anyway (I hope Very Happy ), so I don't really understand the need to "hide" Bifur away for a few scenes?

script writing for the Hobbit... Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:33 am

Well I did it for added drama, and since he is Bombur and Bofur's kin. I know unnecessary drama. But since he does show up at Laketown  anyways. It's not so bad. And it's kind of a bit of mystery too cause my barrel scene is much shorter than Jackson's and I have lids on. So when it happens we really don't know which dwarf it is. At least there are no orcs chasing them down the river or the Bombur ninja. The dwarfs exit the barrels, we discover Bifur gone, then dwarfs realize elves are coming and rush back into barrels Then there is also conflict between elves and men because the elves deliver the barrels right to Laketown from the river location where they wash up on shore. One barrel is dropped and Thorin comes tumbling out to give a similar speech to the one in the 77 cartoon. Plus I kept the line "Thag you very buch" in Laketown.

Yes the dwarfs have proper beards and look like what we would consider dwarfs. I included the colored hood but made them rather earthly tones, that could be made out of natural dyes. Something to distinguish them. My Thor in is much older, not quite old man age, but along the lines of Ian McShane age. There is still some black in his hair, but a heck of a lot more Grey that Armitage's  Thorin. Some of the dwarfs are younger, but not young by human standards. Youngest being Kili and Fili with beards about mid chest maybe just a bit less.

I do have Bolg amassing orcs and goblins, (pretty much the same creature, except for size) and preparing for something but it isn't going to be revealed until Gandalf stops the elves men and dwarfs from waring with each other. Again I stole from the other places, and Gandalf comes in with a kind of explosion right in the middle of them, startling them all. Kind of like magic.

So far no Nazgul, no Radagast, no bunny sled, no Alfrid, no politics of Laketown, Sauron is never mentioned by name and he is a cloaked dark figure that looks like he might be a ghost, or something dead or dealing with dead things. Scene has lost of mist smoke, and is rather darkly lit. Only visual cues will give hints to the necromancer true identity. The master of Laketown slinks away into the night never seen again, no dragon falling on him. Still plenty of action. My dungeon scene is more cat and mouse than Jackson's. Elves don't know they have escaped but the dwarfs still have to avoid the guard patrols.

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:27 pm

My thoughts in Bold:

Sinister71 wrote:Figured I would create a post to update everyone on it in here, instead of hijacking other threads. Things are going along well. I am to the mountain, on my first Draft of it.Nice! I was wondering how you were getting along with it Smile
I did keep a few of Jackson's more logical choices, and change a few things to make a bit more sense in places. The dwarfs rescue Bilbo together from the trolls like Jackson's version, they also start the quest with weapons and gearwas this a pacing cut, or just to make them seem less...well, idiotic? I always felt personally you could have three or four captured in a row, but it does drag on in in the book a bit, Jackson's version wasn't really an improvement i.m.o but i can see his/your reasons for changing things. I kept Jackson's idea of Thorin arriving later than everyone elseThis is probably a good idea as well, are you including a similar idea of Jackson's 'Meeting of the Dwaven Tribal Chiefs' off screen, or is it just to establish a litle dignity/Drama for Thorin early on? I could see this working, in my Head Canon Thorin was both feared and revered by the other Dwarves so keeping him at a distance from the others could play into his arrogance/age rather well. Lastly I kept the spiders voices associated with Bilbo wearing the ringAnother additon by Jackson I have no problem with, though I still would have loved to see the Attercop rhyme..., however it is not eluded to the ring Bilbo finding having any association with Sauron or the one ringGood!. It's a mere trinket. But other than those few things much different. First off NO TaurieGood!...I presume you will make some attempt to put in a few certainty females characters to spice things up though?l. Then I have Thror with a very small group of dwarfs entering Moria when he is killed. All off screenWhy? I get that it is Bilbo's story, and dosen't add that much to the Backstory, but it would do any harm I wouldn't have thought. My own opinion-it could work quite well in the Erebor scenes-i.e have a few flashbacks interspersed throught the film of Thror and Thrain, increasing in frequency the further along Thorin gets to the Mountain-This was what I imagined when Jackson made those (apparently pointless) comments of Father and Son parallels in DOS, I never wanted Thorin to become the lead character, but his backstory is quite interesting and after Bilbo completes his major character arc, I always thought it wouldn't do any harm to shift a little emphasis to Thorin-the catalyst for the BOTFA afterall other than his head being tossed out the door, as Azog emerges. I included Azog's head on a spike.Dain is shown early on killing AzogThank god! I sorta understand why Jackson wanted a last minute 'bad ass cameo warrior saves the day' character, but Dain has a a great backstory and deserves more screentime, with Bolg nearby. I did want their being kin to be evident and reason for Bold to want revengeMakes more sense than PJ's version.... The contract is shown but Bilbo gives it back to Thorin, when he declines. Gandalf shows up next morning advising Bilbo he is late and proceeds to nudge him out the door, no backpack or walking stickGood, Bilbo leaving on his own accord never sat right with me, his character arc grows out of both choice and necessity...to be honest Gandalf is too cuddly for my liking in Jackson's films, I wanted to see more of him pulling the strings and being a dick in the Hobbit, Bilbo should start out on the wrong foot imo. Bilbo is given a hood and cloak much too large for himAlways loved this in the book Nod I'll take gentle humour and whinsy over snot and burp gags any day.... Bolg does show up right after goblin town as the bad guy chasing the dwarfs up the trees. There is no connection between Bolg and the necromancerThere dosen't need to be one . Beorn is strictly human looking, and his introduction is the next morning similar to the EE edition but the night before the dwarfs are fleeing something unseen. Could be an animal could be orcs, its unknown all they know is something is after them and the came across what appears to be an empty cottage and barricade themselves insideNice idea, ramps up the tension. I also included Beorn calling Bilbo "a little bunny" and commenting on him getting fat again So are you picturing basically a enchanted Mountain Man?.No kids for Bard and he is a bit older than the Bard in the filmsGood, frankly everyone in the films seems too young for my liking... Bard the Grim afterall, Bilbo goes into Smaugs lair twice,  the first trip he brings a cup back out. Balin actually follows Bilbo almost to the bottom but chickens out last minuteHmm...that could work but it might make the Dwarves seem a bit well d*ckish rather late in the narrative, and goes against audience expectation, my own headcanon (kinda backed up by th text) was that Balin was the wisest and most respectful of the Dwarves he wouldn't chicken out of fight out of fear, perhaps out of age or experience 'Sorry Mr Baggins My old Bones have seen too much Dragon Fire, I'd only be a hindrance' etc. Legolas is in Mirkwood but just briefly What is his role? Killing Spiders? Head of the Guard? Is he named? I mentioned this a while ago when you first mooted the idea, but it would be kinda cool to see him in a few 'Hero' shots and generic dialgoue, it's only when we get to a (hypothetical-you aren't writing it obviously) LOTR follow up that we see flashbacks from a new perspective . The necromancer I have written in much darker and ambiguous. Only references to Sauron are small and visual only.  And there's none of this crap about the last light being the moonlightThat was utterly stupid wasn't it?. The thrush is in, as are Roac and Carc cheers . I haven't gotten to the battle yet, but there will be no Dune worms, or Legolas being super human or elven if you like. Smaug goes to the side of the mountain to look for the dwarfs and destroys the door trapping them all insideIs there any attempt at expanding this into a Battle? Perhaps they could fire a few Arrows (picked up at Laketown?) at Smaug...why would Smaug fly off to Laketown knowing that he had sealed the Dwarves in with the treasure he prized so highly? (That's a plot hole in the book as well I guess) it's kinda silly from a Dramatic point of view I guess (unless you establish Smaug's rage and greed very clearly in the conversation with Bilbo, so it dosen't seem quite as spur of the moment) . Laketown's destiny is unknown to the dwarfs until Bard and Thranduil approach about restitution for its destruction. No white gems nonsense either. Thranduil is kind enough to the dwarfs but imprisons them similar to the book. Haven't decided about the Arkenstone yet, I feel I need to make it important Yeah probably A good idea...perhaps substitute the Elven Necklace with it, and make it part of the Elf/Dwavr feud?but still figuring it out.

It's a work in progress right now

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:40 pm

Sinister71 wrote:I have no animals talkingWhy not? You have talking trolls and Dragons after all, I don't think a Thrush etc would be much different however they do make an appearance in Beorn's home. Making their natural noises and sounds and Beorn answers back twice in common tongue. And they are pretty much like normal animals. Although I did substitute dogs and such for creatures who can use their hands, like raccoonsAren't racoons native to just North America? Not very European...sounda kinda like Looney Tunes to be honest. But Beorn mainly serves his guests That is probaly a good idea, I don't think animal waiters would work very well in a love action film. But I did include rabbits, foxes, raccoons, pigs, goats, and farm type poultry (chickens, ducks, geese) and yes the bees. The Ravens are in, Roac and Carc both speak. I kind of used parots as my model for them, just taking it to the next level giving them intelligence instead of just mimickingThat would work quite well I think, the hard part would be to make them not sound a bit corny...Roac's age always made it easier for me, I got a sense of mystery/magic tied in with his lienage...random suggestion, maybe only Thorin/Dain/Bard can understand them, sorta like a private breed for Kings only, maybe add a few scenes of Thorin sending messages with Roac to Dain-Bilbo gets the wrong end of the stick and things Thorin's Dragon Sickness is coming into play, that way when Thorin dies, his remdemption could be mirrored by Bilbo's?. My Bard is the leader of the Lake town militia, is grim but honest. I've kind of made him someone who just wants to be left alone but knows his duty and has earned his rankThat's more or less how I would have done it. But it's not one he took lightly. He does carry himself nobly but isn't someone who expects things because of his heritage. He believes a man should be judged by his own merits and deeds. The thrush is just like the book,. I kind of ripped of the 1977 cartoon a bit, by making Bard agitated by the thrush and then being surprised he can understand it. The black arrow speech is in it. So far all the iconic things that are in the book are in my script. Even the talking purse, even though it is reduced to a plain purse in the troll horde Sad , and it's dialog given to one of the trolls. Bilbo gets caught trying to pinch some food for the dwarfs in my version.

One change I don't know if anyone will like is one of the dwarfs is thought dead after escaping the woodland realm. While all the other barrels make it to safety, Bifur's  barrel gets swept into the Rapids and he is last seen going over a waterfall. He is presumed dead. Later he shows up right before the dwarfs leave LaketownHmm...that could be good way to give some of the Tertiar Dwavrs more character, but it would drag out the pace of the film (the Barrels scene almost seemed like more a climax that a mid point to me)...but I don't think there were any real rapids in the book...kinda neagtes the idea of the sending frail wooden barrells down river!. I chose him cause I hated that stupid Axe in his head in the filmsFair enough, though It seems he looses in the BOTFA unharmed Rolling Eyes .

Like I've said before I am a huge fan of the historical realism, used for the most part in LOTR. I like reality based fantasyThe thing is though, The Hobbit is a whimsical fairytale drawn into the borders of the Historical fantasy of LOTR and Sil, in tone and pace it dosen't entirely match its sequel, nor should it i.m.o). This is still only my first draft though, once it's done I'll proof read it through and make any changes.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:47 pm

Sinister71 wrote:Well I did it for added dramaWhilst a fair enough idea in princicple, it just seems like a Jackson idea-a cheap minor cliffhnager that ultimately leads knowhere , and since he is Bombur and Bofur's kin. I know unnecessary drama. But since he does show up at Laketown  anyways. It's not so bad. And it's kind of a bit of mystery too cause my barrel scene is much shorter than Jackson's and I have lids on. So when it happens we really don't know which dwarf it isGood idea. At least there are no orcs chasing them down the river or the Bombur ninja. The dwarfs exit the barrels, we discover Bifur gone, then dwarfs realize elves are coming and rush back into barrels Then there is also conflict between elves and men because the elves deliver the barrels right to Laketown from the river location where they wash up on shore. One barrel is dropped and Thorin comes tumbling out to give a similar speech to the one in the 77 cartoonIt always amused me Thorin tried to find diginity and respect in the worst of situations.... Plus I kept the line "Thag you very buch" in Laketown cheers (out of interest is your version of BOTFA set in Winter like the timeline in the appendices? Maybe Bilbo develops a cold...).

Yes the dwarfs have proper beards and look like what we would consider dwarfs. I included the colored hood but made them rather earthly tones, that could be made out of natural dyesGood idea, no multi coloured beards I take it?. Something to distinguish them. My Thor in is much older, not quite old man age, but along the lines of Ian McShane age cheers Smile. There is still some black in his hair, but a heck of a lot more Grey that Armitage's  Thorin. Some of the dwarfs are younger, but not young by human standards. Youngest being Kili and Fili with beards about mid chest maybe just a bit less.

I do have Bolg amassing orcs and goblins, (pretty much the same creature, except for size) and preparing for something but it isn't going to be revealed until Gandalf stops the elves men and dwarfs from waring with each other. Again I stole from the other places, and Gandalf comes in with a kind of explosion right in the middle of them, startling them all. Kind of like magic.

So far no Nazgul, no RadagastWill you include him in the Dol Guldor stuff, maybe a quick nameless cameo like Legolas, no bunny sled, no Alfrid, no politics of Laketown, Sauron is never mentioned by name and he is a cloaked dark figure that looks like he might be a ghost, or something dead or dealing with dead things. Scene has lost of mist smoke, and is rather darkly lit. Only visual cues will give hints to the necromancer true identity. The master of Laketown slinks away into the night never seen again, no dragon falling on him. Still plenty of action. My dungeon scene is more cat and mouse than Jackson's. Elves don't know they have escaped but the dwarfs still have to avoid the guard patrols.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:34 pm

are you including a similar idea of Jackson's 'Meeting of the Dwaven Tribal Chiefs' off screen, or is it just to establish a litle dignity/Drama for Thorin early on?

There is no mention of dwarven meetings, I did this for a couple reasons, first Thorin is in line to be king, he has an arrogance about him that he would want to be "noticed" when he arrived. He needs to feel more important than he really is. And the second reason is that while the other dwarfs are inside singing about Bilbo dishes and having a fun time. Thorin's arrival shows the mood go from fun and light to a much more serious tone. Thorin in my script is kind of a arrogant jerk, not some hot young noble prince.

Why? I get that it is Bilbo's story, and dosen't add that much to the Backstory, but it would do any harm I wouldn't have thought. My own opinion-it could work quite well in the Erebor scenes-i.e have a few flashbacks interspersed throught the film of Thror and Thrain, increasing in frequency the further along Thorin gets to the Mountain-This was what I imagined when Jackson made those (apparently pointless) comments of Father and Son parallels in DOS, I never wanted Thorin to become the lead character, but his backstory is quite interesting and after Bilbo completes his major character arc, I always thought it wouldn't do any harm to shift a little emphasis to Thorin-the catalyst for the BOTFA afterall

Thror's death is off screen to give Azog a dramatic entrance. The flashback stuff is going to be split with current time while Thorin is telling Thror's story. The scene shows Thorin starting the tale fade into flashback. We see Thror searching for Moria  (scene is cut to show time), upon finding Moria all looks safe. We see Thror and all but 1 companion enter (left to stand guard) fades back to Thorin for a couple lines of dialog. Then it fades back to our guard outside Moria, we hear commotion inside and then a head comes flying out the entrance. Head comes to a rest and we see the name Azog carved into its forehead. Then the scene from the appendices with the coins and dwarfs being called beggars happens. As the lone survivor turns to leave to report to the others it fades back to Thorin who has a mixture of rage and tears on his face. He is facing away from everyone at this point and tells them he won't discuss it any farther at this time. Arrogantly moves to his private sleeping area away from the others.

Is there any attempt at expanding this into a Battle? Perhaps they could fire a few Arrows (picked up at Laketown?) at Smaug...why would Smaug fly off to Laketown knowing that he had sealed the Dwarves in with the treasure he prized so highly? (That's a plot hole in the book as well I guess) it's kinda silly from a Dramatic point of view I guess (unless you establish Smaug's rage and greed very clearly in the conversation with Bilbo, so it dosen't seem quite as spur of the moment)

My Smaug has a temper. I establish his greed and horrible temper with Bilbo's converstaion, yes. He goes out and ravages the mountain tearing the stone to shreds as well as burning it. The dwarfs do fire a couple arrows and throw one spear, even though it's more out of fear than thinking they will actually do anything. Then Smaug believes he has killed any dwarfs that were there. I have the dwarfs inside but are in a side passage and thought dead for a few minutes (anyone who knows the book will know they're not) But Smaug renters the mountain to inform Bilbo his dwarf entourage is dead, and that he is off to "remind" Laketown who is now, king under the mountain, for their part in what he calls treachery. Smaug then tells Bilbo he will deal with him upon his return. Which we know doesn't happen. But someone who never read the books thinks oh crap, the dwarfs are dead and this dragons gonna come back and eat Bilbo. Bilbo then heads to the tunnel searches only find something of the dwarfs to assume they are dead like Smaug had said, dramatic pause as Bilbo sits with his head in his hands losing hope. Cue dwarfs coughing and pushing rubble to get out of the side tunnel.

Last edited by Sinister71 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Why not? You have talking trolls and Dragons after all, I don't think a Thrush etc would be much different. Aren't racoons native to just North America? Not very European...sounda kinda like Looney Tunes to be honest.

The animals don't really play that big a role. Pretty much just there to show Beorn's love for nature and wildlife creatures. I'm from North America which is probably why I used raccoons. They were the only animal I could think of that actually use their hands in a humanesque way. There are also squirrels. I need to research more animals native to England and Europe that might work. As for the thrush again ripped of the 77 cartoon. Thrush just uses clucking noises and chirps in Bards ear. At first Bard is getting annoyed but then realizes that the clicking and noises the thrush are making make sense to him. Bilbo in my version doesn't send the thrush, the thrush over hears Bilbo talking to himself out loud about the missing scale

I'm inspired by the 77 cartoon a few times. I've seriously thought about killing more dwarfs like they did. In the 77 cartoon they killed off 6 of the original 13. But I'm still working on that.

no multi coloured beards I take it?.

Not really, I mean there will be different tints to their beards, as well as dwarfs with brown and black hair, plus Kili and Fili both being blonde. Kind of like Fili in Jackson's films.

Will you include him(Radagast) in the Dol Guldor stuff, maybe a quick nameless cameo like Legolas.

Well Legolas is named he just doesn't play a large roll. I believe he will be left to keep watch of the woodland realm in case Thranduil doesn't return. Can't kill off the entire line since there really isn't any idea how a battle will go. As far as Radagast goes the only thing I have with him is when Gandalf mentions his name to Beorn. In my version the reason for the greenwood turning has already been discovered andthe white council knows its Sauron, it's just not mentioned. Sauron is only ever referred to in my script as the Necromancer. Some things need to be left out so that information from LOTR isn't spoiled, during the Hobbit.

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:27 pm

Nice to try to redo a screen play, and it's interesting you felt compelled to follow some of Jackson's logic, but I do have one quibble.

If you have the dwarves barricade themselves in Beorn's house, it kinda makes Gandalf's story introduction non sensical.  In the EE cut they come out of the house while Beorn is calmly chopping wood, and doesn't know how many there are.  Now why the damn hell would he be all up for calmly listening to a story if he's watching people come out of his house?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:45 pm

halfwise wrote:If you have the dwarves barricade themselves in Beorn's house, it kinda makes Gandalf's story introduction non sensical.  In the EE cut they come out of the house while Beorn is calmly chopping wood, and doesn't know how many there are.  Now why the damn hell would he be all up for calmly listening to a story if he's watching people come out of his house?  

Beorn isn't there the night before. In the script I have 'something' following the dwarfs, but we dont see what it is. I know its obviously Beorn but to the viewer it could be orcs/goblins or something completely unknown. I have Beorn outside where he just got to his home, I wrote feeding his ponies by the barn. Beorn in what I have written doesn't hate dwarfs. He hates evil things like goblins, orcs, wargs. The kindly beings of middle earth he is courteous, kind and willing to help. I rationalize it by even though we didn't see Beorn chasing them, he drove them in there because he knew they would be safer there than out in the wild. He hasn't met them yet doesn't know how many of them there are and Gandalf has never met him before. Only rumors and tales so that is why he introduces the dwarfs like he does the next morning. Beorn is rather gruff with Gandalf, but we later learn he is joking. He doesn't get much company and enjoys it when he does but in smaller doses than 15. I want to show a more 'happy', if you will Beorn. Someone good natured unless your evil, or get on his bad side.  I've also tried to write it as if it shows a couple weeks of time, not just an overnight stay. I've also killed the orc/goblin and skinned the warg, which Bilbo looks at in horror.

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Is the only reason to change it from Tolkien in order to up the suspense? If it's a couple weeks of time it's an interlude anyway, but so long as you can stay true to the characters and keep Gandalf's story I suppose it works.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Having the dwarves chased about Middle Earth is a large part of what's wrong with the story as it is presented in the film. Therefore, keeping that pointless chase before Beorn's house is like picking out the moldy apples and putting them in the pie with the good ones.
You only get one suspenseful scene in this part of the story, and that's when the company finds themselves in the midst of the Warg's meeting place in the forest. There is a primeval fear involved here that would work very well on-screen. Are you even going to separate the goblins from the wargs as distinct groups?

Apart from that I don't like the idea of Sauron being in the film at all. But if he must be, then is it appropriate to give him a body-shaped form at all?

Anyway, goodluck on the writing!

P.S.
If Gandalf is going to be showing off a similar "type of explosion thing," then why not have him burst the embers and flames of the Goblin's torches and fires into their midst? It is a crappy kind of wizard that must deafen and knock over his friends in order to hurt their enemies.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:22 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:Having the dwarves chased about Middle Earth is a large part of what's wrong with the story as it is presented in the film. Therefore, keeping that pointless chase before Beorn's house is like picking out the moldy apples and putting them in the pie with the good ones.
You only get one suspenseful scene in this part of the story, and that's when the company finds themselves in the midst of the Warg's meeting place in the forest. There is a primeval fear involved here that would work very well on-screen. Are you even going to separate the goblins from the wargs as distinct groups?

Apart from that I don't like the idea of Sauron being in the film at all. But if he must be, then is it appropriate to give him a body-shaped form at all?

Anyway, goodluck on the writing!

P.S.
If Gandalf is going to be showing off a similar "type of explosion thing," then why not have him burst the embers and flames of the Goblin's torches and fires into their midst? It is a crappy kind of wizard that must deafen and knock over his friends in order to hurt their enemies.

Well I do have to add a bit of something. I would love to not add bits of suspense but since I'm writing it for the Tolkien fans as well as Joe q public, who might get bored too easily. I'm adding just little things and not going over the top like Jackson did. As for the wargs they were their own entity in the book. Jackson merely reduced them to mounts for the orcs. I have utilized both wargs AND wolves. ( wargs are much bigger and have almost like a mane following their spine) BUT unlike Jackson the chasing isn't constant. The wargs already have the dwarfs up the trees by the time the goblins/or cs show up. They are only chased a bit until the Eagles rescue them from the trees.  I do have a scene with Bolg and a pack of orcs (some riding wargs, some on foot) looking for the dwarfs after the rescue but since they are only looking and not finding. It doesn't really count as a chase scene. Although the way it is intercut between seeing shadows moving and growling (which is Beorn keeping his borders in check) in the woods, and the dwarfs trying to evade something unseen but they feel is after them. Might seem like it. I just don't find it logical the orcs/goblins are gonna just give up looking for them after they kill the great goblin. After that though Bolg isn't a major player until the BO5A

Sauron is never named and only given subtle visual hints as to his identity. He is robed and hooded and looks more like a ghost than a physical being. The way I described him it's as if the fabric covering whatever is underneath it, it rotted and tattered, covered in dirt and debris. But I have also kept a heavy mist and a very dark atmosphere surrounding the character. Almost as if he is a ghost. I also wrote the camera circles him but one shot I really want is a gauntlet ed hand missing 3 fingers. The White Council at this point arrives after he flees finding only his rotting robe in the middle of what would have been his inner sanctum. Together the white council through whatever means lay DolGuldur  to the ground. But the name Sauron isn't mentioned once. The white council basically agrees the necromancer is fled and can not let such evil go unchecked, right before seeing the structure of DolGuldur come crashing down from a distance.

As far as Gandalf's actions, he is watching. He is just waiting for the right moment to act. The dwarfs are already knocked to the ground or on their knees at least. My Great goblin has no one liners and is a bit more brutal with the dwarfs. There will be some bloodshed, not enough for death, but dwarfs will have cuts and scrapes before the great goblin is done with them. But no chutes and ladders with all the scaffolding, my Goblin town is through stone tunnels with rock and dirt under their feet. And the only weapon they have when they escape is Glamdring  only because it is thrown in front of Thorin right before Gandalf reappears.

Thanks for the input guys, like I said first Draft and I am trying to make it more Tolkienesque but also give those who haven't read the book the story it tells. In an adaptation there needs to be some minor changes. But I'm really trying to keep them to a minimum.

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:39 am

Sounds good.
I'm curious as to how the difference between wolves and wargs will play into this.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by ElendilTheShort Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

If you are doing a fan edit/script rewrite then please, please ,PLEASE, leave in the scene where Kili dies and him and Toeragdoll spend what seems like 5 hours melodramatically staring at each other as he lays dying hung over Bolg's knee like a limp fish. I was so glad Kili's crappy book death was changed to this absolute masterpiece. When I see this I am eternally grateful that Sir PJ & Cowriters got to do these movies so they could add in enduring gems such as this and all but eliminate trivial useless side characters like Beorn. I was actually quite annoyed to see Beorn for 5.38 seconds in this film, I had to avert my eyes in disgust at his inclusion as they could have taken that precious screen time and extended the longing looks between the dwarf and elf. These two have actually replaced Beren and Luthien as my favourite love story included in or based on Tolkiens work. I mean who could not love the whole "it was real love " bullsh.... I mean poetic script writing compared to the sort of poor wordsmithing Tolkien came up with such as "Beyond his hope she returned to him where he sat in darkness, and long ago in the Hidden Kingdom she laid her hand in his."

The truth I know is Tolkiens books will be as loved as much 100 years from now as they ever were and the movies will quite rightly be viewed as shit.

ElendilTheShort
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:13 am

"I had to avert my eyes in disgust at his inclusion as they could have taken that precious screen time and extended the longing looks between the dwarf and elf."

lol!

script writing for the Hobbit... Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:26 pm

I know Very Happy Love sarcasm Laughing Thumbs Up Would peejers get it ? I dunno,

script writing for the Hobbit... Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

script writing for the Hobbit... Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:51 pm

lol!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:04 pm

ElendilTheShort wrote:If you are doing a fan edit/script rewrite then please, please ,PLEASE, leave in the scene where Kili dies and him and Toeragdoll spend what seems like 5 hours melodramatically staring at each other as he lays dying hung over Bolg's knee like a limp fish. I was so glad Kili's crappy book death was changed to this absolute masterpieceI'm not a fan of Tauriel/Kili, but I do kinda like Kili's death in the film, it's toitally against Tolkien (which came as a massive surprise in a PJ film Rolling Eyes) but it was quite brutal and out of the blue, the casual film goging audience seemed very shocked, it's just a shame Thorin's relationsahip with Kili was never expanded on.... When I see this I am eternally grateful that Sir PJ & Cowriters got to do these movies so they could add in enduring gems such as this and all but eliminate trivial useless side characters like BeornAs far as I'm concerned a mildy grumpy hairy bugger with a backstory that leads nowhere who looks like Sonic the Hedgehog and David Bowie had a lovechild isn't Beorn.... I was actually quite annoyed to see Beorn for 5.38 seconds in this film, I had to avert my eyes in disgust at his inclusion as they could have taken that precious screen time and extended the longing looks between the dwarf and elfSure to get longer in the extended edition.... These two have actually replaced Beren and Luthien as my favourite love story included in or based on Tolkiens work. I mean who could not love the whole "it was real love " bullsh.... I mean poetic script writing compared to the sort of poor wordsmithing Tolkien came up with such as  "Beyond his hope she returned to him where he sat in darkness, and long ago in the Hidden Kingdom she laid her hand in his.Hey, Phillpa Boyens took the time to read The Silmarillion, once, 27 years ago so I'm sure she knows what's she's doing, she co-wrote The Lovely Bones after all sarcasm obviously..."

The truth I know is Tolkiens books will be as loved as much 100 years from now as they ever were and the movies will quite rightly be viewed as shit Which ones? Hollywood is sure to milk the crap out of lovingly expand on this franchise as long as they can .

lol!

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:41 pm

ElendilTheShort wrote:If you are doing a fan edit/script rewrite then please, please ,PLEASE, leave in the scene where Kili dies and him and Toeragdoll spend what seems like 5 hours melodramatically staring at each other as he lays dying hung over Bolg's knee like a limp fish. I was so glad Kili's crappy book death was changed to this absolute masterpiece. When I see this I am eternally grateful that Sir PJ & Cowriters got to do these movies so they could add in enduring gems such as this and all but eliminate trivial useless side characters like Beorn. I was actually quite annoyed to see Beorn for 5.38 seconds in this film, I had to avert my eyes in disgust at his inclusion as they could have taken that precious screen time and extended the longing looks between the dwarf and elf. These two have actually replaced Beren and Luthien as my favourite love story included in or based on Tolkiens work. I mean who could not love the whole "it was real love " bullsh.... I mean poetic script writing compared to the sort of poor wordsmithing Tolkien came up with such as  "Beyond his hope she returned to him where he sat in darkness, and long ago in the Hidden Kingdom she laid her hand in his."

The truth I know is Tolkiens books will be as loved as much 100 years from now as they ever were and the movies will quite rightly be viewed as shit.

Well sorry to disappoint on that one, but Kili and Fili both die protecting a fallen, mortally wounded Thorin. I still have Fili run through if that's any consolation. Bolg, whom Thorin wounds pretty badly but is finished off by Beorn, as we see Thorin being dragged from the battlefield, by Dain who orders a couple dwarfs that came with him, to do so. I have Dain seeing Thorin fall and trying to get to him to help, but gets caught up in battle with one of Bolg's bodyguards. Beorn takes out the other 3 of them.

The battle stuff is rather tricky, because I want Bilbo knocked out but want to show a decent battle. But I want Bilbo to still be the focus in the script. I think it's coming along though. The main points are all there though. Bilbo gets knocked out early in the battle, no taking word to Thorin about stuff. No Dune worms digging tunnels, no trolls, no siege weapons, no mountain goats. I honestly thought about keeping Dain on a boar ( i mean a real boar and not a giant pig) and having a dwarves cavalry on boar but didn't. I seen it as a counter point to the orcs on wargs. Wolves are wiped out rather quickly, eagles show up and start picking up and dropping wars and Orcs. Eagles are shown in a way not to use talking in the eerie as well. Gandalf recites the tale of fixing the Lord of the Eagles wing to Bilbo after the Eagles drop them off. And we hear Gandalf tell the Eagles the line, "May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails, and the moon walks".

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next