malickfan
Ringdrotten
azriel
Forest Shepherd
Sinister71
14 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 5 Empty Re: script writing for the Hobbit...

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:54 pm

I am still not convinced you need even that much Sin. If the viewer doesnt now exactly where Gandalf is off too, never sees it, just knows its something to do with dealing with this Necromancer thats enough I think. His absence doesnt need explaining its just the reason for his absence. And less you know for sure the more mysterious Gandalf beocmes.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

script writing for the Hobbit... - Page 5 Empty Re: script writing for the Hobbit...

Post by Sinister71 Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:59 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I am still not convinced you need even that much Sin. If the viewer doesnt now exactly where Gandalf is off too, never sees it, just knows its something to do with dealing with this Necromancer thats enough I think. His absence doesnt need explaining its just the reason for his absence. And less you know for sure the more mysterious Gandalf beocmes.

true... I may just be satisfying my classic horror, scare the crap out of you with suspense side on it. The scenes I wrote are very tense and creepy. at the couple turns I have in it your almost thinking something is going to be coming out at you and then, its like what just happened this necromancer character fled rather than fight us. I'm sure when we get into the next draft it might come out that is something I will really take a good look at. I appreciate the advice

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:02 am

Happy to help Sin, but it just advice, and without reading the actual script.

For what its worth, if I were you Id stick with your gut impulse, see your own ideas and story out to the end, then worry about what might be needed or what best serves the narrative out of what you have afterwards when revising it.
Now as you write, go with the flow I say. If you start to question major structural things now you will never get to the end for tinkering.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:13 am

yeah true it can always be edited out later if it doesn't work right. My biggest thing is making the story that Tolkien wrote work in a visual format while not being like Jackson and making up a bunch of crap just to sell it to non-book fans. If the script is good and the film entertaining it should satisfy both film firsters and book fans. THAT is my overall goal with my script

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:30 am

yeah true it can always be edited out later if it doesn't work right. -Sin

Exactly, its a think about later issue. First get a finished piece. Then work on making yourself absolutely happy with it.
There was a famous writer whose name currently escapes me who used to pin his pages to the skirting boards when finished, then he would work on them, and each time he felt he had improved the page he moved it further up the wall- with the aim of considering it finished only when all the pages were at the very top. Tricky to do with Microsoft word mind you.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by dak Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:54 am

This scary and horror talk reminds me of how I hated that kind of thing in Jackson's movies. It's like he tries to do scary but it's just not done right. No subtlety. The Riders weren't done properly mysterious and creepy. And small stuff like the meeting between Frodo and Bilbo when he wanted to see the ring and then Bilbo "seemed like a little wrinkled creature with a hungry face and bony groping hands" to Frodo. Should have been an unsettling and sad scene just through acting and instead we get Bilbo pulling a beetlejuice scare face. Meh.
I'm more in line with sin's classic horror feelings.

dak
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:34 am

dak wrote:This scary and horror talk reminds me of how I hated that kind of thing in Jackson's movies. It's like he tries to do scary but it's just not done right. No subtlety. The Riders weren't done properly mysterious and creepy. And small stuff like the meeting between Frodo and Bilbo when he wanted to see the ring and then Bilbo "seemed like a little wrinkled creature with  a hungry face and bony groping hands" to Frodo. Should have been an unsettling and sad scene just through acting and instead we get Bilbo pulling a beetlejuice scare face. Meh.
I'm more in line with sin's classic horror feelings.

I grew up on stuff like the original Halloween, and Friday the 13th where it wasn't so much the grizzly things the killer did to the victim but the lead up and terror of the victim up till the deed. I think if done properly it would work to darken the story a bit. It's amazing what setting the mood can do with emotions IMHO. I don't think a horror story line would work in the Hobbit but there are certain elements of suspense and build up about certain characters that would let them feel important in some way but not make the audience feel they are overly important. In my adaptation the Necromancer is merely a foot note just like he is the book. He just gets a glimpse on screen and really nothing more.

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:56 am

I think there are places for it Sin- the goblin tunnels for example- that should be terrifying in there, dark, claustrophobic, Bilbo should be  being half shoved and half dragged along in abject terror.
Basically the opposite of everything PJ did.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:02 am

And you might want to think about use of sound in the goblin tunnels too- you've long winding narrow tunnels, the sound should be echoing round, an incredibly loud and harsh close by- even if you don't have them singing the song in the book (I'd be tempted to have at least a bit of it) I think the clash of steel, banging of drums, and of course the cracking of the whips should all be used in full horror film fashion here. It should be harsh and industrial sounding, as thats how the goblins are presented in the book, makers of evil but clever devices.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:03 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I think there are places for it Sin- the goblin tunnels for example- that should be terrifying in there, dark, claustrophobic, Bilbo should be  being half shoved and half dragged along in abject terror.
Basically the opposite of everything PJ did.

oh I have it there. Bilbo loses Gollum a couple times and breathing is heard and you think Gollum has found Bilbo out. I think its preetty cool... plus I have a guarded back door where buttons get lost unlike Bilbo running around aimlessly and happening upon the exit

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:05 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:And you might want to think about use of sound in the goblin tunnels too- you've long winding narrow tunnels, the sound should be echoing round, an incredibly loud and harsh close by- even if you don't have them singing the song in the book (I'd be tempted to have at least a bit of it) I think the clash of steel, banging of drums, and of course the cracking of the whips should all be used in full horror film fashion here. It should be harsh and industrial sounding, as thats how the goblins are presented in the book, makers of evil but clever devices.

My goblins are comparable to primitive cannibals... There are times your wondering when the dwarfs are going to be tortured and then eaten Twisted Evil

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:52 am

Mrs Figg wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:pc's are here to help us and drive us to distraction in equal measure- right now I am trying to output renders for the awards (that should be up by now) but for some reason hitfilm keeps ctd at random moments during the process- and I cant work out whats causing it- starting to think I may have to reinstall the whole thing Evil or Very Mad

Universe?! I told you to leave Petty alone. Mad

Figg must have been telling it the opposite thing. No

hey! that's mean. Mad

I only meant in the sense of wishing a small annoyance upon him. Like stepping in a puddle or something. Embarassed

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Your mistake there Blue was forgetting that our Figg is a proud northern lass, she would never wish the universe to cause me harm, that would take all the fun out of doing it herself Twisted Evil

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:02 pm

She would rather push you into the sea herself? Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Bluebottle wrote:She would rather push you into the sea herself? Shocked

only if he were wearing a brick necklace Very Happy

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:20 pm

And the sea was freezing cold and infested with her electric eels. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:32 pm

I might have made it worse. Sofa

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:21 pm

Laughing  I am liking the brick necklace, or concrete boot. eithers good.

and its true about being a Northerner. We tend to say things to your face rather than behind your back. The brutal honesty doesn't make you popular but at least you know whats what. Wink
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:43 pm

The brutal honesty doesn't make you popular but at least you know whats what.- Figg

I wouldn't have it any other way lass. Handbag

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:45 pm

Yeah, I got that. Wink

Mrs Figg wrote:Laughing  I am liking the brick necklace, or concrete boot. eithers good.

You would only give him one? Shocked

Well, I guess there's no need to waste good concrete.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Laughing  I am liking the brick necklace, or concrete boot. eithers good.

and its true about being a Northerner. We tend to say things to your face rather than behind your back. The brutal honesty doesn't make you popular but at least you know whats what. Wink

it might not be a popular concept but I admire blunt honesty esp when its to someones face.. I was raised the people might get mad over it but they will get over it or they will be mad a long time. either way they should respect you for being honest

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:23 pm

Its not easy when you are a kid though. we go through a kind of baptism of fire at school where you get any fancy pants ideas knocked out of you, so if you are ginger you get told you are ginger, and theres not a lot you can do about it. theres non of this soft southern 'no no its a lovely strawberry blonde' flim flaming. nope. you are a carrot top and that's if you are lucky. it could be worse. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:30 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Its not easy when you are a kid though. we go through a kind of baptism of fire at school where you get any fancy pants ideas knocked out of you, so if you are ginger you get told you are ginger, and theres not a lot you can do about it. theres non of this soft southern 'no no its a lovely strawberry blonde' flim flaming. nope. you are a carrot top and that's if you are lucky. it could be worse. No

just saying I think Gingers are HOT... and in a very I love you I love you I love you good way LOL

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:48 pm

we didn't have Harry Potter to make being ginger and having geek spectacles cool though. that was when it definitely wasn't cool at all. No

or a witch for that matter. But that's another story. No I was tormented throughout ALL my school days by being called a witch, dammit! if only Rowling had written that bloody book when I needed it. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:34 pm

just saying I think Gingers are HOT... and in a very I love you I love you I love you good way LOL - Sin

Aw, thanks Sin, I never knew you cared. Wink

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next