Elthir
RA
Bluebottle
Forest Shepherd
Eldorion
25 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 2 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:24 pm

I reckon both Kili and Tauriel will cop it, like some Mary-Sue Romeo and Juliet for Twilight fans, heck one of them even goes sparkly glowy. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 2 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by Tinuviel Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:05 pm

I'm 100% positive that's how it'll go down. They die, thus "ending their parents' strife"

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 2 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:19 pm

bungobaggins wrote:

Well done, Malick! Very Happy

Cheers!

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:26 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I reckon both Kili and Tauriel will cop it, like some Mary-Sue Romeo and Juliet for Twilight fans, heck one of them even goes sparkly glowy. No

I gurantee it will be in slow motion, with some overbearing music referencing Boromir/Gandalf/Theoden's death in LOTR, though with the effect somewhat muted after Tauriel and Kili slaughter dozens of orcs in the five minutes beforehand.

Personally I don't really care what happens to Tauriel, as long as it isn't milked as much as I fear it might be, and as long as Kili's death ends up being Thorin's fault. I don't care about any of the side characters enough to be that bothered, I just hope Jackson gives them memorable deaths, and revisits the attempt to out-epic ROTK.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:01 pm

milked is the operative word.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Are we back to trolls again?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:37 am

I'm not convinced that Tauriel will be killed off just because she doesn't appear in LOTR.  I can't imagine they'll kill off Thranduil, Dain, or most of the Company.  The Kili connection is the main reason why I think Tauriel might have a target on her back, but I don't think it can be called a certainty.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:09 am

I guess it depends on the route Jackson and Co. want to take with this one; the trailers make it seem like they may want to make it dark. But who knows?

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:25 pm

we could be having a Ygritte moment but crap.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:52 pm

More like an Eowyn moment, but without anything good.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:19 pm

More like a Xena moment without the lesbian subtext, amirite?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:05 am

More like the Trojan Queen from 300 but without any sex shaming, if-you-know-what-I-mean.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:08 am

More like a Molly Weasley moment without any swearing.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:13 am

More like Hermione but if Hermione was an idiot.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:30 am

I feel like I'm reading a reddit thread. Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:37 am

Damn, no love for reddit from bungo anymore.

Last edited by Eldorion on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:55 am

More like, Bungo WHY U NO LOVER ME NAYMORE?!!?!
reddit :sadface*:::
:'(

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:06 am

sadly they could have stuck to the story but instead we get a rehash of Arwen healing Frodo, right down to something Morgul (blade/Shaft), and the lighting around her. The whole thing reeks of bad script writing or lack of direction on the part of Jackson, since it is a direct rip off of LOTR. Then we get the whole sexual tension between Kili and Tauriel in the dungeons of the Elf King. Which to me seemed forced and just out of place in the whole film. The character herself seemed doomed right from the start with the lack of direction with her character.... I know if or when Tauriel bites the dust I'll be standing up cheering as loud as possible
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:22 am

Eldorion wrote:Damn, no love for reddit from bungo anymore.

Forest Shepherd wrote:More like, Bungo WHY U NO LOVER ME NAYMORE?!!?!
reddit :sadface*:::
:'(

This. An ubpoat for each of you, good le gentle-sirs. I'll just leave this here. To the top with you! See you on the front page. Am I doing it right? Nailed it! My girlfriend's roommate's uncle's autistic cousin doesn't think his painting of this super popular video game character is any good, what does reddit think? DAE le feels? Onions, man.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:43 am

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 2 30vEoo0

{{{I wonder if I just dated myself horribly by posting this picture?  Is Digg even around anymore?  And how many current Redditors still visit 4chan? Does anyone still remember The Human Centipede?  How out of it am I?}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:13 am

Well, Digg is still around, though I've never used it. But I remember they had some trouble a few years back.

As far as reddit's relationship with 4chan goes, I think this video sums it up nicely. @0:19

I think it's a little self-aggrandizing for 4chan to think that it's the gateway for most original content. A lot of original content can be found first in places like Deviant Art and Tumblr, which are sites with big enough user bases that they wouldn't need a outlet like 4chan to make their content better known.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:56 am

Laughing @ the video

4chan certainly earned its title as the "fountain of memes" back in the day (after seizing that title from Something Awful and, yes, eventually losing it to Reddit).  But all three of those also played a role as content aggregators and promoters as well.

And don't get too touchy about 4chan snobbery.  Any self-respecting /b/tard hates /b/ itself at least as much as he hates its imitators/competitors/rivals/precursors/random targets.

I think a lot of the looking-down on reddit comes from the idea that it's a watered down/sanitized/corporatized version of "counter-cyberculture" (a term I just made up but I hope it gets the point across) websites, many of which prided themselves on their shock value and antipathy for the mainstream (while simultaneously consuming mass-produced pop culture voraciously).  Of course, there are plenty of subreddits with shock value galore, but there is some serious cognitive dissonance in seeing a site that became famous in part as a magnet for disaffected Anons being posted on by the President of the United States.

And I'm sure a large part of it is just hating on whatever's popular, especially if a substantial part of its popularity comes from teenagers.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:16 am

The Human Centipede has the most sickening scene that I cannot get out of my head ! Im not fussed by horror films generally but this ! pure yuksville ! & what the "dr" did to his dawg !! Same as the original "old boy", its what he eats once let free ! No pale my gut is tightening up as I speak, *blurgh*

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Eldorion wrote:Laughing @ the video

4chan certainly earned its title as the "fountain of memes" back in the day (after seizing that title from Something Awful and, yes, eventually losing it to Reddit).  But all three of those also played a role as content aggregators and promoters as well. Oh yes, how could I forget such fantastic content as le may-mays. Thank you r/adviceanimals for lowering the bar on content standards.

And don't get too touchy about 4chan snobbery.  Any self-respecting /b/tard hates /b/ itself at least as much as he hates its imitators/competitors/rivals/precursors/random targets.

I think a lot of the looking-down on reddit comes from the idea that it's a watered down/sanitized/corporatized version of "counter-cyberculture" (a term I just made up but I hope it gets the point across) websites, many of which prided themselves on their shock value and antipathy for the mainstream (while simultaneously consuming mass-produced pop culture voraciously).  Of course, there are plenty of subreddits with shock value galore, but there is some serious cognitive dissonance in seeing a site that became famous in part as a magnet for disaffected Anons being posted on by the President of the United States. I think I know what you mean by "counter-cyberculture" but the thing is that reddit's users need to realize that it is a popular site. It's not some secret hidden corner of the internet where all this great stuff is. It's very popular and I think a lot of people don't want to accept that. Maybe once all the college freshmen's parents start using it, reddit won't be "cool" anymore.

And I'm sure a large part of it is just hating on whatever's popular, especially if a substantial part of its popularity comes from teenagers. I put a filter on RES so that it would block any post about Justin Bieber. For as much as they hate that guy, they sure like to post and talk about him.

On a related note, have you ever met any reddit users in real life? I did once, and it was an excruciatingly awkward experience. I was just browsing reddit on my computer and this person comes up to me and says, "When does the narwhal bacon? *hyuck hyuck*". Talk about annoying. Reddit isn't some great community, it's just a race to the bottom to see who can be the "most right" or come up with the dumbest pun.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:08 pm

I think you're right that a lot of people don't want Reddit to be as mainstream as it is; in fact I think this is part of a broader phenomenon regarding the Internet in general.  It used to be that anything outside of AOL's walled garden was like a cool secret geek clubhouse, or at least it was easier to pretend that that was the case.  But even though many Internet users limit their activity to Facebook and a handful of other sites, the illusion has broken down, as has the idea that the Internet is free from corporate oversight or control (Reddit used to be owned by Conde Nast, but even if you're independent, you still have to deal with ISPs and hosting companies who will sell you out to the federal government in a heartbeat.  Even the founder of 4chan testified in federal court against a user of his site).

bungobaggins wrote:On a related note, have you ever met any reddit users in real life? I did once, and it was an excruciatingly awkward experience. I was just browsing reddit on my computer and this person comes up to me and says, "When does the narwhal bacon? *hyuck hyuck*". Talk about annoying. Reddit isn't some great community, it's just a race to the bottom to see who can be the "most right" or come up with the dumbest pun.

I'm sure I've met plenty of Reddit users IRL, but I don't tend to talk about Internet stuff all that frequently (especially not since I graduated college and wasn't around tech-savvy 20somethings as often).  It can definitely be weird seeing cyberculture overflow into the physical world, and a sense of humor that works in an indirect, text-based medium is not always going to be funny in a personal conversation.  But I try not to be too sensitive about stupid and/or repetitive jokes, because I know that I've made plenty of jokes that people around me think are stupid or kept going long after they stopped being funny.  And I do love puns. Very Happy Also, to be fair to Reddit, I have seen interesting conversations there (although I don't think the site layout is super-conducive to that), and I've found plenty of links to interesting content in places like r/history.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next