Elthir
RA
Bluebottle
Forest Shepherd
Eldorion
25 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] Empty Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by malickfan Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:49 pm

Continued from: http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t884p990-waiting-for-the-battle-of-the-five-armies

----------

Mrs Figg wrote:

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] DXbMjWd

[/quote]

I guess this proves how fondly The Hobbit films are regarded here...we've discussed the minutiae of  a featured pig's genitalia at least three times...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Laughing its more interesting I guess
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2]

Post by azriel Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:06 pm

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:07 pm

malickfan wrote:I guess this proves how fondly The Hobbit films are regarded here...we've discussed the minutiae of  a featured pig's genitalia at least three times...

I'm pretty sure I've been responsible for bringing the pig balls up most times.  What can I say ... they're pretty impressive. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:10 pm

pig it must be difficult to walk with those things scratch
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:13 pm

On the plus side, they stick out the back, and don't seem to dangle between the legs. On the other hand, they look pretty vulnerable out there. pale
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:21 pm

azriel wrote:I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us.

Going in my signature!

Can't believe a discussion about pig balls lead to my to my 1000th post...

...but still

1000 posts!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked

It's only taken a year!

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] Congrats_fireworks_zpsfd664113

Well done Malick !

Last edited by azriel on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Cheerleader :carrot: Metal Congratulations, Malick! Thumbs Up cheers afro
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks!

Embarassed

I've been a member of Torn for almost three years and I haven't even hit it yet, what can I say I like it here more I guess!  :hug:

I'm rather surprised I ended up posting this frequently to be honest, I suppose that means you are a very interesting bunch of guys and gasls to converse with. Very Happy Nod

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:52 pm

I'm very glad that you decided to visit and even more glad that you've stuck around to become part of the community, Malick!  You've been a pleasure to chat with and get to know a bit, and your posts on a variety of topics often make me stop and think before responding, which is always a good thing. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:07 pm

Well the problem with that comic is that the logical steps it takes are not only hyperbolic, they're also based upon false assumptions.
Or, in another way of putting it, the statements being put out by "Jackson" in the comic are not simply opinions, but inherently wrong because they assume that The Hobbit films actually succeed wherever "Jackson" sees The Hobbit book failing.
It's full of red herrings and non sequiturs!

"So a fast-paced adventure with little to no character development except for the title character?"

Is this really what the Hobbit is like? Arguably Bilbo, Gandalf,Thorin and Gollum are the only characters in the book that are fleshed out to any real extent. Thorin is questionably not so core, were it not for the fact that he is front and center for so much of the book. Regardless, all four of these characters are described well; given motivations, shortcomings and doubts (Gandalf... not so much on the doubts); and play important roles in the story.

Already that's not the same as only Bilbo receiving character development, and the fact that the films, more and more, skip over Bilbo's character scenes and focus on the rest of the cast is, of course, not mentioned here at all.

"...and tralala-singing, flamboyant elves that feel like old-school disney cartoons and go against the whole idea that Tolkien later set up?"

Oh we mean like singing elves in Rivendell? Oh my I can't imagine that being in the mighty Lord of the Rings book!
(Except of course it's there. During the first night after Frodo wakes up (my book has been misplaced, so I paraphrase) he hears and sees the elves singing along the banks of the river in the moonlight. And that was right after the Ringwraiths, the darkest servants of Sauron were at their border! Imagine how much more carefree they must have been when Bilbo arrived there with the Dwarves.

Purely from a reading standpoint there really isn't any discrepancy between the elves of Rivendell in the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. As has been said countless times it is Jackson's treatment of elves that has shifted their love of nature and music to a lust for war, their cherishing of the vestiges of the past to a doomed melancholy, and their their mistrust of the changing world to an outright animosity to all other races.)
Sorry but you won't find any spider-web-leaping Legolases in The Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings.

"...and a bunch of random, faceless orcs, who have little to no personal motivation for chasing the heroes down the road?"

First off, WHAT BLOODY CHASING?!!!?
And secondly, it sure seemed to work that the orcs were entirely nameless and faceless during the Fellowship of the Ring, and when actual orc-characters are introduced in the TT and RotK they are minor characters. This fascination and focus on the Big Bad Guy is a carry-over from DnD more than any kind of trend found in Tolkien's writing. War and killing is NOT the focus of the Hobbit book!

"...and overly comedic, cowardly dwarves who are only there to provide a list of funny names, and behave nothing like the dwarves of middle-earth described in the lotr, the silmarillion, and so on?"

Are you f***ing kidding me??
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] Bombur-poster

I'm sorry but what the actual fuck difference is there between this assumed "childishness" of the book and the immature stupidity of the dwarves in the movies?

*Thorin and Co are being chased by warg-riding orcs*
*Gandalf disappears for about 8 seconds*
"Where's Gandalf!"
"He's abandoned us!  Mad "

Yeah I think I'll take the dwarves of the book thanks. If the price of half-decent moments like Bofur's speech from AUJ must be accompanied by the tripe posted above.

Oh but I suppose the trifecta of hairless man-dwarfs--Fili, Kili, and Thorin-- are what we're supposed to be thinking of here.  Rolling Eyes

Anyway the original came from Deviantart apparently, and the user has some amusing comic-things as well, so I do not mean to criticize the individual...
...just the idiotic things they say. Razz

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Nod agreed
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:33 pm

This probably won't come as a surprise to anybody, well at least anybody here.

http://thorinoakenshield.net/2014/09/21/hobbit-battle-of-five-armies-article-in-cinema-magazine/

Now the metropolis on Erebor’s mountainside is again becoming the scene for death and destruction. Men that fled into Dale’s ruins are being chased out of Esgaroth by gruesome orcs. (note: No, this sentence makes no sense in German either…) With drawn axes and swords they fight screaming through the narrow streets of the ruined city. And are finally defeated by the Mirkwood elves.

At the end of the massacre, Thranduil (Lee Pace), king of the wood elves, at the same time angry and sad looks at his fallen companions and the dead bodies of the orcs as he is torn out of thoughts by Gandalf (Ian McKellen). The wizard is clad in grey and pleads to Thranduil for help in the fight against the powers of darkness. He however only replies: “The elves have already shed enough blood in this land.”

Pointless action sequence? ✅
Faux drama? ✅

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:36 pm

malickfan wrote:

1000 posts!!!!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  cheers  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  :carrot:  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Shocked  

It's only taken a year!

Well done, Malick! Very Happy

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:47 pm

For new page.

bungobaggins wrote:This probably won't come as a surprise to anybody, well at least anybody here.

http://thorinoakenshield.net/2014/09/21/hobbit-battle-of-five-armies-article-in-cinema-magazine/

Now the metropolis on Erebor’s mountainside is again becoming the scene for death and destruction. Men that fled into Dale’s ruins are being chased out of Esgaroth by gruesome orcs. (note: No, this sentence makes no sense in German either…) With drawn axes and swords they fight screaming through the narrow streets of the ruined city. And are finally defeated by the Mirkwood elves.

At the end of the massacre, Thranduil (Lee Pace), king of the wood elves, at the same time angry and sad looks at his fallen companions and the dead bodies of the orcs as he is torn out of thoughts by Gandalf (Ian McKellen). The wizard is clad in grey and pleads to Thranduil for help in the fight against the powers of darkness. He however only replies: “The elves have already shed enough blood in this land.”

Pointless action sequence? ✅
Faux drama? ✅

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:53 pm

" Further Peter Jackson is constantly haunted by new ideas on how to end the final chapter in Middle-earth. "
WTF ? Shocked Isnt there only ONE way ? you dumb F**k S**T !

"This means he has written some sequences already two years ago and others as late as last night. "
Oh yeah ! this makes sense Mad

"“I still don’t believe that we are done”, Ian McKellen jokes. “I have said goodbye to Tolkien’s world already a lot of times.”
No surprise there, I bet underneath, half the actors could very well be feeling a bit miffed ?

QUIT IT ALREADY PJ ! Argh to hell with it ! let him have a breakdown & get carted off, at least we'll get some peace from him for a good while.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:55 pm

are they making Lee Pace look like the Glorfindel they never had in LOTRs ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Yeah, I think one definite adverse effect of the success of the lotrs movies is the lack of any accountability for Jackson in the process of making these movies.

After the first two movies shouldn't it be becoming pretty clear that the making it up as you go along formula isn't neccesarily a key to cinematic quality and certainly not to making a coherent adaptations?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:40 pm

Hoo Roo Blue, Your not wrong there ! He may be 52 in years, I reckon hes 52 INCHES round his head where its swelled up so much, Hes like a run away train without the brakes, ideas popping up willy nilly, I can just see Hitchcock doing that !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:25 am

What jumps out at me is that the magazine states that Thranduil refuses to fight against "the forces of darkness" after the battle with the orcs is done.  So either this is a preliminary skirmish and we're just getting some much-needed will-they-won't-they drama before the main battle (the most likely case), or Gandalf is trying to put together a long-term alliance to go after Sauron once the BOFA is over, and Thrandypants is having none of it.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:30 am

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] 16203911

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  pub
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:54 am

Is that you in the pic, Sin? Shocked You're a lot cuter than I'd imagined!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:40 am

I have a feeling it will be the other way around. Tauriel will die for Kili. If they do that, then it sure as hell better not be becasue of her dumb ass crush Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:22 am

Sinister71 wrote:Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies' [2] 16203911

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  pub

Love it Sin Very Happy Tho Id do the above just for making the bloody film in the first place ! Mad
( someone should have done this when the scripts arrived )
(...and the casting crew)
(...financier )
(.anyone with an idea.....)

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next