Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
Ringdrotten
Radaghast
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 3 Empty Re: DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming

Post by David H Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Eldorion wrote:
I'm not entirely sure he would have been the best fit for Middle-earth, though.  I think a creative mind like his might have run roughshod over the books.  

I'm pretty sure you're right. It would have been interesting though, and I'd still love to see that sketchbook in your article! Here's the quote on Smaug:

I turned to a lateral image of the dragon. Smaug’s body, as del Toro had imagined it, was unusually long and thin. The bones of its wings were articulated on the dorsal side, giving the creature a slithery softness across its belly. “It’s a little bit more like a snake,” he said. I thought of his big Russian painting. Del Toro had written that the beast would alight “like a water bird.”

Smaug’s front legs looked disproportionately small, like those of a T. rex. This would allow the dragon to assume a different aspect in closeup: the camera could capture “hand” gestures and facial expressions in one tight frame, avoiding the quivery distractions of wings and tail. (Smaug is a voluble, manipulative dragon; Tolkien describes him as having “an overwhelming personality.”) Smaug’s eyes, del Toro added, were “going to be sculpturally very hidden.” This would create a sense of drama when the thieving Bilbo stirs the beast from slumber.

Del Toro wanted to be creative with the wing placement. “Dragon design can be broken into essentially two species,” he explained at one point. Most had wings attached to the forelimbs. “The only other variation is the anatomically incorrect variation of the six-appendage creature”—four legs, like a horse, with two additional winged arms. “But there’s no large creature on earth that has six appendages!” He had become frustrated while sketching dragons that followed these schemes. The journal had a discarded prototype. “Now, that’s a dragon you’ve seen before,” he said. “I just added these samurai legs. That doesn’t work for me.”

Del Toro’s production design for “The Hobbit” seemed similarly intent on avoiding things that viewers had seen before. Whereas Jackson’s compositions had been framed by the azure New Zealand sky, del Toro planned to employ digital “sky replacement,” for a more “painterly effect.” Sometimes, instead of shooting in an actual forest, he wanted to shoot amid artificial trees that mimicked the “drawings in Tolkien’s book.” In his journal, I spied many creatures with no precedent in Tolkien, such as an armor-plated troll that curls into a ball of metal plates. Del Toro said that it would be boring to make a slavish adaptation.

It makes you wonder if del Toro was an enabler for Jackson's extremes of adaptation. Suspect 

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 3 Empty Re: DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:55 pm

I've wondered that myself. I remember being kinda upset the first time I read that article, though at the same time it would have been exciting to see something so fresh and different. But I think I'm glad it wasn't put out there under the Hobbit name. I've heard mixed things about what course the project took after del Toro's departure, but generally it sounds like PJ and co. started over from scratch. Most of the excess in The Hobbit feels very much like PJ to me, though he and del Toro share a passion for monsters so there are some similarities.

It would definitely be nice for an artbook that included del Toro-era drawings, I agree. Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:21 pm

I wonder if the goblins were GDTs. They originally used animatronic faces, so that to me sounded very un-PJ like to me. Of course in the end they scratched the animatronic faces and then scratched the actors completely and replaced them with cgi because it "looked better." IMO, I thought just cg heads would have been fine, but no.

And I think that the 6 months refers to after the green light

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 3 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:36 pm

It's strange that a writer of Tolkiens stature would land himself with two directors, neither of which loved his work or was prepeared to treat it with any great respect. That seem to play a large role in how a writers works are treated.

I guess he in many ways became a victim of his own success.  Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:51 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=235790859956341&set=vb.224540764414684&type=2&theater

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Too bad the movie distracted from the scenery.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:15 pm

That was the most positive I think I've ever heard Martin Freeman get in one of his Hobbit interviews.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:19 am

they re-used bits of the AUJ version of that, but who cares really. This just makes me angry. They did those on location shots for literally about 30 second shots before switching to green screen. Seems an awful lot just to get some establishing shots

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 3 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:29 pm

yeah I agree, those video blogs they plugged were all about the NZ landscape and the various outdoors sets, they made a big thing of it, but all that monstrously huge production we actually see about 5 minutes of actual real scenery on film. All those hundreds of people helecoptering about and building bridges over moorland what the hell was the point, its all faked.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:37 pm

But... putting New Zealands landscapes on the green screen is the same, right? Rolling Eyes  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:47 pm

bungobaggins wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=235790859956341&set=vb.224540764414684&type=2&theater

New Zealand is Not the home of Middle Earth. it really pisses me off when they say that.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Eldorion wrote:I didn't think Pan's Labyrinth was all it was made out to be, but that's not really the film's fault.  More of a problem with an overly evangelistic fanbase.  (Also, I was bracing myself for a hyper-violent film after all the warnings about how "this is NOT a movie for kids" and "the Captain is one of the scariest villains ever".  Not quite, though I do agree it's not for kids.)  I loved Pacific Rim, as I've made clear in several other threads, despite its flaws, which I am sure GDT was fully aware of.  So he's 2/2 in my book.

Ayup Eldo...
I wanted to like Pans Labyrinth, but the Fascist stuff was just too violent for me, culminating in when the captains (?) cheek was slashed open and sewn up. I wanted to see much more of the creatures rather than any pseudo-political stuff. Spains Fascists need dealing with by some other means I think. I also think though that GDT is maybe too much of an original thinker to be constrained by Tolkiens work... but not in a bad way.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 am

I preferred his first film The Devil's Backbone- the ghost story one set during the Spanish civil war.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:27 am

Welcome back, Petty! cheers

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:28 am

Thanks Ringdrotten- had 'stuff' happening- but glad to be back in my barrel.  Nod 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:31 pm

Eldorion wrote:I didn't think Pan's Labyrinth was all it was made out to be, but that's not really the film's fault.  More of a problem with an overly evangelistic fanbase.  (Also, I was bracing myself for a hyper-violent film after all the warnings about how "this is NOT a movie for kids" and "the Captain is one of the scariest villains ever".  Not quite, though I do agree it's not for kids.)  I loved Pacific Rim, as I've made clear in several other threads, despite its flaws, which I am sure GDT was fully aware of.  So he's 2/2 in my book.

I'm not entirely sure he would have been the best fit for Middle-earth, though.  I think a creative mind like his might have run roughshod over the books.  Not in the way PJ does, where he tells what is superficially the same story but misses the point because he's distracted by shiny toys, but in a more fundamental way where he just ends up telling a story that takes some cues from the book but is really entirely different.  A lot of his design ideas that we heard about (never saw) were reminiscent of the Boorman attempt, though to a lesser degree.

Whether or not that would have been preferable to PJ's version is a matter of personal taste, I suppose.
This phrase "evangelistic fanbase" seems rather oddly used, considering the content of the film and the views of its fanbase. I could see this being used about a Narnia film, for example, but not Pan's Labyrinth.

The largest difference between Jackson's and Del Toro's Hobbits would, I think, have been the liberties taken with creature design. Del Toro has a specific style that tends to show up in his fantasy films, and you would think that with him in the Director's chair, he would have influenced the designs for Smaug, Beorn, wargs, the Wood-elves, etc. rather heavily.
Then again, you may be right that he would coerce the story into a different direction due to his creative interests, changing the entire emphasis of the story in several major sections. I suppose this would have been preferable to changing the entire emphasis of several major sections due to being a puffed-up wanker.

Speaking of Boorman...

Breastplate nips!   Smile  (placed rather high methinks)
DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 3 E1.bmp

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Now, Forest, dont get all sweary ? I thought you were talking about Peejers when you wrote "puffed up wanker" ? Then I realised you were'nt..... PJ is just........'A' wanker  Nod (a category all his own)

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Dont worry Azriel too much birthday cake always makes kids a bit sugar rush tetchy.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:31 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:This phrase "evangelistic fanbase" seems rather oddly used, considering the content of the film and the views of its fanbase. I could see this being used about a Narnia film, for example, but not Pan's Labyrinth.

I suppose that was a little unclear on my part. I didn't mean to imply that the fanbase of Pan's Labyrinth tends to be evangelical Christian, but just that many of the most devoted fans of the film that I have met seemed very intent on spreading the "good news" about it and trying to convince others to see it. And ultimately I felt that the film, while good, did not live up to the inflated expectations I had after hearing so many people call it "(one of) the best fantasy movies ever!" I felt the same way about The Matrix, actually.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:31 pm

True !  Nod  Very Happy (Figgs)

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:16 pm

azriel wrote:Now, Forest, dont get all sweary ? I thought you were talking about Peejers when you wrote "puffed up wanker" ? Then I realised you were'nt..... PJ is just........'A' wanker  Nod (a category all his own)
I was implying that Peter Jackson violated the Hobbit because of his being a puffed-up wanker.
For me "wanker" isn't swearing, it's just some thing that British people call eachother. Razz

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Forest Shepherd wrote:This phrase "evangelistic fanbase" seems rather oddly used, considering the content of the film and the views of its fanbase. I could see this being used about a Narnia film, for example, but not Pan's Labyrinth.

I suppose that was a little unclear on my part.  I didn't mean to imply that the fanbase of Pan's Labyrinth tends to be evangelical Christian, but just that many of the most devoted fans of the film that I have met seemed very intent on spreading the "good news" about it and trying to convince others to see it.  And ultimately I felt that the film, while good, did not live up to the inflated expectations I had after hearing so many people call it "(one of) the best fantasy movies ever!"  I felt the same way about The Matrix, actually.
Ah, I see. I was thinking, because of the way that more forward Christians can sometimes use a popular film's themes as a conversation starter to talk about faith and such, that you meant a similar thing in this case. I see that you used the looser meaning of "evangelistic" here, which makes more sense.
This seems to be another iteration of the "fanboyism" complaints that one hears sometimes. Best to keep a tighter rein on your expectations, if the excellent Pan's Labyrinth managed to fall short of them.

P.S.
I do not mean to subtly hint that I dislike it when more forward Christians bring up similarities between the story of a movie and biblical parallels (most often the idea of a Christ-figure actually): that can be just another form of film discussion.

P.P.S.
Interesting thing about that video you shared Eldo. The filming in Paradise covered, it seems, all the outdoor stuff near Beorn's house. It looks great, the grass is probably not the right length, but it's green and sunny and has nice backdrops for the Misty Mountains. In the movie though, and I think I said this elsewhere, Beorn's home appears to be very small. His pastures and orchards and bee-hives and gardens and pens all fit into a round rock-walled area that didn't seem very large at all. The area in Paradise they filmed looked great, but on-screen it has lost much of its warmth and doesn't feel right at all.
Of course, it doesn't help that the entire stay at Beorn's was nothing but a relative breathe or two in the midst of a never-ending orc-chase. "Oh god the orcs are going to kill us.. but so may Beorn as well! And we have no choice for doom is upon us, Doom!!" doesn't exactly suggest idyllic and restful farmlands.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:24 pm

"For me "wanker" isn't swearing, it's just some thing that British people call each other."...Forest.
 Right  scratch Ok, Not my first thought I have to say ? Im always being called "mate" ! I fooking hate being called "Mate" !  Mad  Even when Ive made it clear Im a woman, & ...... I aint your mate........never will be your mate...........so fook off with the "mate" ! THAT ticks me off !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Chill out, mate

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:50 pm

u wot m8

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next