Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
Ringdrotten
Radaghast
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 8 Empty Re: DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 pm

I would really like to see the White Hart jumping over the black river. I think its meant to be Thranduil in disguise, in the film.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 8 Empty Re: DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:05 pm

I have read that somewhere too Figg- Thranduil is the Hart. And from what I have heard else where, based on one of the film companion books I believe, there is no boat, they try to cross by swinging on vines or some such silliness.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:10 pm

Radagast is a moth, Thranduil is a deer ... what's the over-under on Dain's boar actually being his spirit form or some shit?
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I have read that somewhere too Figg- Thranduil is the Hart. And from what I have heard else where, based on one of the film companion books I believe, there is no boat, they try to cross by swinging on vines or some such silliness.

Oh myyy gaaaawwwwddd!

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 8 Swingofdoom2

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:21 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:they try to cross by swinging on vines or some such silliness.

Oh of course! What was I thinking? :facepalm: 
Jackson's First Law:
Never pass up an opportunity to dangle people.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:25 pm

lol!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:29 pm

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Edit: Hey, where'd your monkeys go? scratch 

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:34 pm

they swung off to find bananas  Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:49 pm

David H wrote:Jackson's First Law:
Never pass up an opportunity to dangle people.

We should have known years ago. No

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 8 QBV63T4
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:51 pm

but that dangling is legit, its in the book.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:53 pm

In the book he just falls, no dangling. Wink The "fly, you fools" line is yelled as he's falling, not whispered just before letting go.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 pm

but it would look silly onscreen. It would be like,

FLYYOUFOOOOOLLLLLZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *thump*
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Eldorion wrote:Radagast is a moth, Thranduil is a deer ... what's the over-under on Dain's boar actually being his spirit form or some shit?

Radagast is a moth? Is that implied or is that said somewhere?

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 8 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:but it would look silly onscreen. It would be like,

FLYYOUFOOOOOLLLLLZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *thump*

Yep, one change not worth quibbling about.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:24 pm

Tinuviel wrote:Radagast is a moth? Is that implied or is that said somewhere?

Just a fan theory, but one I'm partial too.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:25 pm

halfwise wrote:Yep, one change not worth quibbling about.

The only reason it's ever bugged me is that it turns Gandalf's fall into something deliberate as he has the chance to at least try to clamber out, but he doesn't take it.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:30 pm

But he cant, the Balrog has his whip round his leg and is dragging Gandalf down with the weight of the creature. I dont care about the nitpickery of exactly the Balrogs weight vs Wizard, or the tensile strength of Balrogian whips vs Wizard leg sinew, this is what it looks like onscreen to the casual observer with no beef.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:34 pm

Eldorion wrote:
halfwise wrote:Yep, one change not worth quibbling about.

The only reason it's ever bugged me is that it turns Gandalf's fall into something deliberate as he has the chance to at least try to clamber out, but he doesn't take it.

It also sets up the Sam/Frodo dangle at Mt Doom. There's no doubt it's good crowdpleasing drama for the target audience in both cases, but for me the melodrama crosses the line into cheesiness, and it brings me out of the moment. I'm sorry. I wish it didn't, but I've just seen this exact scene too many times before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:45 pm

yes the Frodo dangle teeters on the edge of cheese, but I understand why they did the Gandalf dangle.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:06 am

Mrs Figg wrote:But he cant, the Balrog has his whip round his leg and is dragging Gandalf down with the weight of the creature. I dont care about the nitpickery of exactly the Balrogs weight vs Wizard, or the tensile strength of Balrogian whips vs Wizard leg sinew, this is what it looks like onscreen to the casual observer with no beef.

I'm gonna have to disagree here.  It looks pretty clear to me that the whip does not remain looped around Gandalf's foot for more than a second, and clearly detaches while the Balrog continues to fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGjSoL97yQY#t=2m5s
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 am

I was bothered by the tensile strength of whips, etc...but if it lets loose I suppose the reason he fell is sweaty palms?

(put it looked like he got snatched down from the speed that he disappeared)

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:24 am

The problem is not so much Gandalf couldnt pull his own body weight back up, its that no one rescues him, like they all know he is supposed to go in now because thats how the script goes, and so they better wait for it to happen, they even have time to stop Frodo trying to help.
They could just have reached out a hand and pulled him back up, there was enough time for Gandalf to scrabble about, stare at them all get their emotional response and then speak a whole sentence.  Mad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:The problem is not so much Gandalf couldnt pull his own body weight back up, its that no one rescues him, like they all know he is supposed to go in now because thats how the script goes, and so they better wait for it to happen, they even have time to stop Frodo trying to help.
They could just have reached out a hand and pulled him back up, there was enough time for Gandalf to scrabble about, stare at them all get their emotional response and then speak a whole sentence.  Mad 

dont be daft. If Gandalf doesnt fall he cant become Gandalf the White.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Yes but the characters in the film shouldnt be acting as if they know that.  Mad 

If he is going to dangle there that long they are going to try to pull him up before he falls- that's only sense- the only reason they dont is because the script says not to- and that's lousy writing however you cut it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Gandalf told them to fly. I think he meant it. Aragorns first duty was protecting Frodo, shit was hitting the fan, its perfectly logical.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next