Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
Ringdrotten
Radaghast
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 2 Empty Re: DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:00 pm

He's in both TT and RotK as well Mad

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 2 Empty Re: DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Only in the EE of ROTK.

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 2 Tumblr_lga66maXQj1qgutswo1_400

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Why is he a Klingon?

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 2 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:09 pm

That is an insult!

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 2 Worf_worf

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Hey, I didn't say he was a good Klingon Laughing

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 pm

That was the best cameo! He got shot!!!!!!

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 2 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:46 pm

The "accidentally shot by a warning shot" gag.  Rolling Eyes 

At least he had to face the consequenses himself that time.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:25 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Only in the EE of ROTK.

Technically he's in the theatrical ROTK as well, but it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cutaway shot during Gandalf and Pippin's "deep breath before the plunge" conversation.

http://framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html/episodes/images/rotk/rotk0506.htm
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:26 pm

Bluebottle wrote:The "accidentally shot by a warning shot" gag.  Rolling Eyes 

Gimli might disagree with that description. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Eldorion wrote:

Technically he's in the theatrical ROTK as well, but it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cutaway shot during Gandalf and Pippin's "deep breath before the plunge" conversation.

Oh I completely forgot about that one.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 pm

It's very easy to. Razz Took me ages to remember where it was in the film (I ended up having to ctrl+f through the script).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:The "accidentally shot by a warning shot" gag.  Rolling Eyes 

Gimli might disagree with that description. Razz

Yeah, maybe ""accidentally" shot by a warning shot" would have been better. Laughing 

Though I was more aiming at the fact that at least he was the butt of his own joke on that occasion.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Eldorion wrote:

Nonsense! I saw that rounded plumpousity from miles away!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:14 pm

LOL: "plumpousity". He is indeed very plumpous Laughing

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:29 pm

I vaguely remember reading PJ was eating a carrot because he tried smoking a pipe but felt very ill afterwards.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:56 am

I've been watching the AUJ appedices (it was cheap on itunes and I had a giftcard!) and I wasn't too pissed off until Phillipa Boyens said something so.... ugh.

On Oin's character being a sort of apothecary, she awkwardly giggles before saying "you're not going to believe this, but Fran and I came up with the idea from a joke. Oin needs more OINtment." :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: 
Also they only had six months of planning as opposed to the year and a half they had for LOTR, which explains much more to me.

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 2 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:23 am

Tinuviel wrote:Also they only had six months of planning as opposed to the year and a half they had for LOTR, which explains much more to me.

Shouldn't they have had a lot of time to plan while the film was languishing in pre-production? They'd already started working on the scripts unless I'm very much mistaken. scratch {{{Or I misunderstood you, which is very possible. Razz}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:26 am

Apparently they tossed out a lot of Guillermo del Toro's work after he left. So they basically had to start from the ground up with designs and what not.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:49 am

I hope some of the GDT concept artwork has survived.  I remember he specifically did NOT want a CGI Smaug, and was planning on using animatronics. It would be interesting to see that script.....

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:28 am

And he said Ian Mcshane would have made a perfect Dwarve (As everyone knows by now he was who I wanted for Thorin).

Alot of GDT supposed designs were really just ideas he mentioned in interviews (he seems to have done alot more of these than Jackson and co) so I'm not sure whether the animatronic Smaug was really feasbilbe.

I do know however he wanted to make first and foremost a HOBBIT film keeping Bilbo front and center with as much of the fairytale vibe as possible (he wanted talking animals for instance I believe), he was also interested in using a different colour palette and digital sky replacement to show the passage of seasons.

All of which sounds great IMO.

Sure it might have been a mess like Jackson's versions, but at least it would be something different.

I honestly feel that with an outsider's perspective GDT 'got' the Hobbit more than the 'fans' that took over from him.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:06 am

Nod Agreed. GDT stays true to his inner Faerie. He portrays fairy tales as they were originally, dark, creepy, scarey. full of hints & morals, a smattering of pixie dust, a bit of fantasy magic & he leaves you with a thoughtful feeling, whereas Peejeers are dim, corny,shitty, full of 'huh' & 'mmmm', a smattering of powdered drug (abuse) a bit of fooking madness & he leaves you with a 'thankgod thats all over' feeling !

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:58 am

Tinuviel wrote:On Oin's character being a sort of apothecary, she awkwardly giggles before saying "you're not going to believe this, but Fran and I came up with the idea from a joke. Oin needs more OINtment." :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Ah, yes. The spirit of Tolkien.  Rolling Eyes 

At least they didn't claim it was in the appendices..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:39 pm

One thing I found Ironic is she mentions in the dvd appendices that as Bofur first sings 'The Man in the Moon Song' it must have been him who taught the song to Bilbo.

But I'm pretty sure in TAOTB or The Road Goes Ever On it notes it was the Elves who taught the song to the Hobbits.

And the prologue in Bree completely rewrites the reasoning behind 'The Quest Of Erebor'.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm getting more and more annoyed with Boyens 'expertise'...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:36 pm

I don't think we'll ever see any of the concept art or script from the GDT era.

I do think it's funny that people on torn usually blame GDT when there's stuff they didn't like in the movies. It's also infuriating when they see Pacific Rim and say, "Oh, his hobbit movie would have been awful." Or they'll make fun of the designs in Pan's Labyrinth and say that his hobbit movie would have looked like that. I really dislike that ignorance/arrogance.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:07 pm

I didn't think Pan's Labyrinth was all it was made out to be, but that's not really the film's fault.  More of a problem with an overly evangelistic fanbase.  (Also, I was bracing myself for a hyper-violent film after all the warnings about how "this is NOT a movie for kids" and "the Captain is one of the scariest villains ever".  Not quite, though I do agree it's not for kids.)  I loved Pacific Rim, as I've made clear in several other threads, despite its flaws, which I am sure GDT was fully aware of.  So he's 2/2 in my book.

I'm not entirely sure he would have been the best fit for Middle-earth, though.  I think a creative mind like his might have run roughshod over the books.  Not in the way PJ does, where he tells what is superficially the same story but misses the point because he's distracted by shiny toys, but in a more fundamental way where he just ends up telling a story that takes some cues from the book but is really entirely different.  A lot of his design ideas that we heard about (never saw) were reminiscent of the Boorman attempt, though to a lesser degree.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/07/110207fa_fact_zalewski?currentPage=all

Whether or not that would have been preferable to PJ's version is a matter of personal taste, I suppose.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next