Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
Ringdrotten
Radaghast
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 6 Empty Re: DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:29 pm

it had some good Actors, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes, it could have been good. But it bored my pants off.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 6 Empty Re: DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:39 pm

The thing about the original is how grounded the world is. Whilst its full of mythical creatures and Gods the actual mortal world is pretty gritty.
I mean the hole chucking the baby into the sea stuff is bad enough but when the hero arrives in the city where the Princess is up for marriage  they are burning the failed suitors. And you see the charcoaled corpse at the stake and they talk about the smell of the burning flesh, its pretty dark stuff.
The new one is all froth, it has no meat on its bones.

Aliens was great.- Bungo

Mad  Alien was great, Alien 3 the directors cut is decent (even though I prefer the original story idea where they were all monks in a space monastery not prisoners with a shoehorned religious bit left over from the original grafted on  Mad ) Aliens is the most overrated of the original trilogy.  I loathe every single one of the clichéd space marines, the TE edition which is minus all the stuff about her Daughter and the discovery of the derelict makes the plot look stupid (as it seems pure coincidence that they happen to lose contact with the colony right after discovering her floating about for a hundred years) and it substitutes for tension and atmosphere a lot of overly loud bravado filled Americans shouting and firing high powered weaponry in a random fashion.  Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:01 pm

plus the 1981 version of Clash of the Titans had an actor who could pass for being Greek
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:19 am

Mrs Figg wrote:plus the 1981 version of Clash of the Titans had an actor who could pass for being Greek

Burgess Meredith? scratch

I love Ray Harryhausen's special effects. I love you

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:35 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:plus the 1981 version of Clash of the Titans had an actor who could pass for being Greek

Burgess Meredith? scratch

I love Ray Harryhausen's special effects. I love you

Harry Hamlyn the lead actor  Shocked 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:41 pm

I love Ray Harryhausen's special effects- Bungo

Nod 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:55 pm

talking of Faramir, this is how I imagine him.

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 6 ImagesGWLA46F3_zps4f0ab183

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 6 ImagesZ5AV0DHQ_zpsedd24b7f
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Im ok with the top pic (except his face is bit too chubby) but the second one he looks way to grim for Faramir- I dont see the warrior poet in him.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:13 pm

its the same actor in the same film.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Neither the friendly smile in the first or the scowl in the second fits my image of him.  I think this comes closer for me:

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 6 Faramir-catherin

I also think David Wenham did a good job capturing the most common expression we'd expect on Faramir's face.

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 6 Faramir_by_ginger_snuffkin-d3r7ybm

Because most of the time he managed to nail Faramir's inner character I was able to forgive some of the changes they made to the storyline.  (In contrast John Noble was not once allowed a correct portrayal of Denethor).

Edit: other changes weren't right even if done in character, such as the treatment of Gollum. But Wenham normally had the introspective look you'd expect, or the air of far-off Numenor even when being friendly. He must have read the books.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:38 pm

If I remember correctly, he was reading them while filming, and that's when he realized how drastically different the two Faramirs were. Not sure if he'd read them before hand...

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 6 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:00 pm

That's interesting. I don't suppose John Noble ever had any misgivings about how his character ended up?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:17 pm

The only thing I've found is buried in a far-ranging interview:

http://www.avclub.com/article/john-noble-55690

"Lord Of The Rings fandom was massive, worldwide, entrenched. Generally it had been part of the fans’ life all their life, because they had it read to them as children; they’d become Tolkien students. So when I met Tolkien fans, they were incredibly knowledgeable, and, thankfully, incredibly flattering about what I was able to do with the character, because the fandom was terribly frightened we’d messed it up, which we didn’t. So that was almost an intellectual approach with them. They would ask terribly difficult questions, and sometimes, I didn’t know the answers."

"Peter Jackson led like Alexander the Great. For that period—I don’t say that he could do that all of his life—but he inspired everybody. Inspired everybody to lift the bar. They were very true to Tolkien and to the books. "

I get the impression he didn't read the books, or if he did, not too deeply.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:10 pm

I get the impression he pulled a Stephen Fry as the Master; he showed up and did it.

DOS theatrical on DVD, Blu-ray, streaming - Page 6 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Its funny we expect all the actors of Tolkien films to actually love Tolkien. Its a strange concept. I think 90 % of the time Actors just turn up and act, its not necessary that they love the source, and its a bit unfair of us to expect they do. Billy Connolly has said he despises LOTR and a lot of people get angry about it, but at the end of the day its just a job, if they do love Tolkien its a bonus, but not mandatory.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:26 pm

Good point. I have friends who can't stand Tolkien.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:36 pm

I dont think there is anything wrong with not liking the original stories, but I do feel an actor should have a feel and ideally some appreciation for the writing and the style in order to be able to perform it properly, or they should think twice about taking the role.
Otherwise you end with Mel Gibson's Hamlet.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Had no idea Mikael Persbrandt was a coke-head.

http://www.thelocal.se/20140415/swedish-hobbit-actor-jailed-for-buying-drugs

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:53 pm

I always assumed actors were routinely drug tested and if they were clean they were made to take some drugs  Shrugging

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 pm

slap laugh 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Ironically five months in prison may give him time to grow a proper beard...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Had no idea Mikael Persbrandt was a coke-head.

"I don't like dwarves. They're greedy, and blind to the lives of those they deem lesser than their own. But narcs I hate more."
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:16 pm

lol! lol! lol! 

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Could the cocaine use explain some of his characters characteristics, I wonder.  Razz 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 am

I'd love to see some fan art of Beorns house, but with drug paraphernalia all over his big table. A few lines of cocaine, dirty syringes, etc.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next