Ringdrotten
Sinister71
Tinuviel
19 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Worst Case Scenarios - Page 8 Empty Re: Worst Case Scenarios

Post by bungobaggins Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:39 am

Looks like all the cool kids are getting banned on torn. Now I want to get banned on torn! Cool 

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:20 am

bungobaggins wrote:
Also, here's the video I was referring to earlier.

That dovetails really nicely with this.

It's odd that people would call Adam Sessler a fanboy, seeing as how he is one of the least biased guys in the industry. Don't mess with the Sess! lol!

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:41 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well there is Ally- wouldnt suprise me if her brand of whimsy was really anarchy of some sort but Im not smart enough to notice it!
Well yes, of course there's Ally. That goes without saying. It's the less obvious anarchists you have to watch for.....cherry 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Recoveryanonymous wrote:So I'm gathering that TORn is a fun place.
They have pretty strict rules of behavior that makes them a bit of a nanny forum, though to be honest that's really not uncommon.  Sometimes I think people don't know how good they have it here. :PA lot of people think the TORn mods have a pro-PJ bias and are unfair to people who criticize the movies, and based on my experience I have to say there's probably some truth to those complaints.  That said, there are a lot of cool people on TORn and plenty of interesting discussions, although as the highest-profile Tolkien forum TORn also attracts a disproportionate share of kids and casual fans who sometimes overwhelm discussions.
Interesting discussion until you have to constantly defend yourself because people see things with a biased attitude. twisting words and taking quotes out of context to suit their own agenda. I had to defend facts that I proved to them but had to hear things like, "open to interpretation", "That's not what they meant" or being in denial when a definition from the dictionary is posted. As far as I know the dictionary definitions are usually correct in comparison to some fanboy who wants to deny what it says. I love them trying to deny Jackson's changes are not fan fiction because he is getting paid for it. Well if the author were paying him I could say that was true but in the case of the Hobbit Jackson has littered it with fan fiction because he has no affiliation what so ever with the author and is making up his own stories based on Tolkien's characters and places which is the definition of fan fiction. TORn likes to try and get rid of those who bring intelligence to the table in their arguments, and post things that discredit Jackson and his films.TORn is fun if you enjoy following along like the rest of the sheep over there but if you have free thought which rocks the boat, forget it your doomed
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Eldorion wrote:I wish I had a dime for every time I saw someone compare Internet forum moderators to fascists/Nazis. Very Happy
well on my forum they address me as Mr Hitler affraid 

Yeah I'm that bad Twisted Evil 

Well not really but I can try... Actually i'm really fair. I wont defend someone who loves the Hobbit films position on it but I will defend their right to believe what they want to and I'll respect their opinion even if I don't agree with it. cheers 
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:34 am

Worst case scenario which is more like the most realistic scenario: Once all three films are released we will look back on AUJ as the most "faithful" to the source material. (If it could ever be considered faithful. But in the light of DOS and TABA it will be considered closer to the source material than the other two.)

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:35 am

I think that's most likely.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Shocked  Mind.Boggles
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:01 pm

David H wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well there is Ally- wouldnt suprise me if her brand of whimsy was really anarchy of some sort but Im not smart enough to notice it!
Well yes, of course there's Ally. That goes without saying.  It's the less obvious anarchists you have to watch for.....cherry 
this anarchy symbol tells you that i want to seem angry in a vaguely political sense without actually having to form substantiated opinions

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Nice new Fascist uniform BTW Ally. Fascism is really all about the uniforms. Thumbs Up 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Ally wrote:this anarchy symbol tells you that i want to seem angry in a vaguely political sense without actually having to form substantiated opinions
This is very true, but I can't say that in front of my younger brother or else his vaguely political anger becomes directed at me. pale
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Worse case scneario for me is if the entire governing board of the Tolkien estate reisgns or dies, and Royd Tolkien grabs hold of the rights to the Silmarillion and gives them to PJ...

I'm feeling sick just typing it...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:19 am

David H wrote:Nice new Fascist uniform BTW Ally. Fascism is really all about the uniforms. Thumbs Up 

i am going on a post strike until the fascist moderators on Forumshire stop deleting my comments asking for a veronica mars subforum and also [intil we hav 1]

#forumshireisallaboutthesuppressionofveronicaunityunlessitisintheinterestofmaintainingdiscussionofthehobbit

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:21 am

malickfan wrote:Worse case scneario for me is if the entire governing board of the Tolkien estate reisgns or dies, and Royd Tolkien grabs hold of the rights to the Silmarillion and gives them to PJ...

it or what u typed b4 u said u were feeling sick just by typing it

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:22 am

malickfan wrote:Worse case scenario for me is if the entire governing board of the Tolkien estate resigns or dies, and Royd Tolkien grabs hold of the rights to the Silmarillion and gives them to PJ...

Yeah that is vomit inducing isn't it? Damn I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit Embarassed 

I think there will be measures taken on the part of Christopher Tolkien so that NEVER happens though. Especially with Jackson's treatment of the Hobbit. I would love to ask ol' Royd what he thinks of Jackson now after bringing Azog back from the dead and covering Radagast in bird poo
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:11 am

Most of the members of the Tolkien family who are closely involved in the running of the Estate -- including the "heir apparent", Adam Tolkien, tend to agree with Christopher's perspective, so I think there is very little chance of the writes to The Silmarillion being made available any time in the next several decades. Possibly longer, given how copyright periods keep being extended by law.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:03 pm

I seem to recall reading on another message board one member quoted from a private correspondence he had with C.Tolkien who stated he'd rather see The Silmarillion go out of print than see it's sales increase due to the films.

No idea if this is true (Heck I might have been imagining it) but I sure hope it, an extreme opinion it may be, but at least it would prove the estate has no interest in further bastardisation of the stories.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Yeah, I don't entirely agree with Christopher's opinions on the film (he makes Petty look like a Tolkien Liberal Very Happy). But then again, neither I nor anyone else currently alive has Christopher's relationship with the works of his father. So yeah, the Estate is definitely not going to be parting with the rights to any further works while Christopher heads it, and probably not anytime soon afterwards either.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:45 pm

malickfan wrote:Worse case scneario for me is if the entire governing board of the Tolkien estate reisgns or dies, and Royd Tolkien grabs hold of the rights to the Silmarillion and gives them to PJ...

I think if Royd ever gets hold of Silmarillion he's going to try to make it himself. Twisted Evil 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:22 am

Notice to those who also post at Bree....

ok just to let people know I have been in contact for the last couple days with the new owners of the Bree site. Sometime this month they will be updating the site and there will be some changes going on. As far as I know I will still be a mod and will be hopefully working with the new owners to make the site better than ever and hopefully be able to get fans pro film as well as those who have issues with them. And be able to coexist and have many healthy debates over film and Tolkien alike. I'll keep everyone posted as I know more

Thanks Sin

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:29 am

At least they are taking an interest now Sin.
I hope they also fix whatever it is that means I cant sign in there or get a new working password for my account. Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:45 am

I'll keep you posted Petty pub 

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:30 am

That sounds really encouraging, Sin! Smile I hope that the planning and improvements to Bree go well and that the site owners are able to help make the forum even better. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:47 pm

Thumbs Up  good news Sin.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Good news for Bree! Cheers to that! pub 

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next