Ringdrotten
Norc
halfwise
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
14 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Star Wars Episode VII will be made now that Disney bought Lucasfilm - Page 3 Empty Re: Star Wars Episode VII will be made now that Disney bought Lucasfilm

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:33 pm

But its Star Trek not Star Wars- its not supposed to be a science fantasy- what always made ST stand out was its emphasis on the science bit. Thats why they had moblile phones, flat screens and pads before reality- thats why we are still trying to make transporters and replicators! Without it its just another scifi film- and the plot is really, really, really weak and atrocious.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Star Wars Episode VII will be made now that Disney bought Lucasfilm - Page 3 Empty Re: Star Wars Episode VII will be made now that Disney bought Lucasfilm

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:50 pm

And a piss-poor example of Star Trek to boot!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:04 pm

Yeah the new Star Trek isn't sci-fi.
That's the dividing line for most people. If you can accept it as an alright action movie, it's sort of enjoyable. If looked at as Sci-fi, even though that's what it's supposed to be, it doesn't hold up well at all.
I think Plinkett liked the new Star Trek movie because he's fixated on Star Wars. He goes to great lengths to differentiate Science Fiction and Science fantasy and acknowledges that the new Star Trek movie is far closer to science fantasy. He even says that this new Star Trek movie is what we didn't get with the prequels.
"J.J Abrams should have directed the prequels and George Lucas should have directed people to their seats in the theatre."

I find it analogous to Lotr. I personally think they were good movies, but were weak adaptations for reasons I've covered elsewhere.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:26 am

Yeah, Plinkett is a character and the voice is not his real one. The guy who does the voice uses his real one for Half in the Bag (he's Mike). Incidentally, Plinkett appears in that show as well, but he played by someone totally different. Personally, I find the droning stroke victim voice to be hilarious, but that might just be me. Laughing

Anyway, I'm glad a few more people have been introduced to Mr. Plinkett as a result of this thread. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:28 am

Did he do a Lord of the rings review? I can judge his merits on that- he is so far on a draw- he gets a point for the phantom menance review and one off for the ST review. I need a decider.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:58 am

He's teased about the possibility of doing a LOTR review but he's mainly stuck to sci-fi reviews. If it means anything to you, he also tore into Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, as well as Avatar.

Edit: here's a link to all his reviews. http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 am

Thanks Eldo- I forced myself to watch the second half of his St review- I couldnt face it earlier- his basic conlcusion appears to be its a good film so long as you are a brain dead idiot. Interesting way to put it.

ps if anyone is interested my latest editing project is my favourite ST film- ST: the motion picture- whilst there are times when you want a long slow film and to watch 20 minutes of a cloud getting bigger- there are other times when it would be nice to have a things a bit tighter- so as an alternative I am doing a version with less looking at a cloud.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:23 am

He tore into Kingdom of the Crystal Skull too, Eldo.
As well as Cop Dog and let's not forget, Let's not forget!, the infamous Baby's Day Out review! Nod

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:34 am

*shrug* I think most of the Crystal Skull haters were looking for blood after the prequels. Sure, it's got it's dumb moments, but so do all of the Indiana Jones movies. I can't help but shake my head when people bitch about the fridge scene as if nothing of the sort happened in the first three. It's not up to the level of Raiders, but the '80s sequels didn't achieve that either. I still had fun watching the film. Even Shia LaBeouf was tolerable. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:39 am

Don't get me wrong, I don't pay much attention to Lucas's movies. I just think that Plinkett's reviews are funny. That's what I meant by "tore into". It's also why I listed the other 2.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:44 am

That is very true. I'm just a bit (lol) of a Star Wars fanboy. Laughing

I loved the Cop Dog review but I haven't gotten around to seeing Baby's Day Out yet. :/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:10 am

I personally am quite disgusted by your attitutdes. The negaivity you show toward one of my favorite characters ever (after a fashion) is totally uncalled for. I don't come to this thread to hear such horrible stuff. Are you guys trying to completely put me off Episode VII? Shame! Shame! Shame!

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:42 am

Star Wars Episode VII will be made now that Disney bought Lucasfilm - Page 3 A6oa2w10

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:10 am

Thought I'd update this thread now that there's some new news to report. The pre-production is ongoing and along with George Lucas' and Kathleen Kennedy's input on the story, they've also hired a screenwriter: Michael Arndt. Even if the name isn't familiar, you've likely heard of at least one of the movie's he's written. His credits so far include Little Miss Sunshine, any indie road movie, Toy Story 3, the Pixar film, and Catching Fire, the sequel to The Hunger Games (the latter won't be out until next year).

http://starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

As pre-production of Star Wars: Episode VII begins, Lucasfilm has confirmed that award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay for the new Star Wars film. As revealed in the ongoing video series posted here on StarWars.com, Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas have begun story conferences with Arndt. Arndt won an Academy Award® for Best Original Screenplay for writing Little Miss Sunshine (2006), and was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for writing Toy Story 3 (2010).

For more news about Star Wars: Episode VII -- slated for a 2015 release -- keep checking StarWars.com.

Arndt's Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Arndt
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Ive often wondered what the hell is 'Best Adapted Screenplay? Adapted from what? Another screenplay? scratch

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:27 am

Usually adapted from a book, sometimes a musical or play.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:33 am

Thanks I just did a quick check on wiki- what was throwing me is that sequels to films are counted! So Star Wars wouldn't get in, but Empire could.

#All sequels are automatically considered adaptations by this standard (since the sequel must be based on the original story).'- wiki

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:58 am

Counting a sequel as an adapted screenplay just makes no sense at all. Mad I'm guessing if a sequel gets in by this technicality nobody would vote for it. Wondering if any sequel not based on a *real* text has ever won this category.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 am

Huh, I didn't know that sequels were automatically considered adaptations. Looking through the Wikipedia page for the award, the only otherwise original sequels to have been nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay were Before Sunset in 2004 (which I'd never heard of before) and the aforementioned Toy Story 3 in 2010. Neither of them won.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Yep, the fact that Toy Story 3 could even get on the list for best adaptation shows how nonsensical it is. Toy Story is the very essence of newly created movie making.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Does explain how PJ's LotR won though- its based on an adaptation of the Bakshi version! Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Nice one, Centaurian.... Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Centaurian? Is Petty half-horse? Shocked
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:52 pm

The big question there Eldo is which end!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 am

....and which colour!
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next