Ringdrotten
Eldorion
halfwise
Pettytyrant101
Norc
14 posters

Page 2 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 2 Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3]

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:26 am

Desember igjen Very Happy

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 2 Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3]

Post by Bluebottle Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:58 pm

You know. I don't think I'd ever heard that song before you posted it, but I guess it's an intrinsic part of Christmas in Trøndelag? It's interesting to hear what other peoples Christmas associations are, and how they can be so different even within the same country. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:59 pm

http://www.nrk.no/nordland/islendingene-overtar-sildemarkedet-1.12076759

More herring trouble. affraid

Apparently the Europeans are choosing to buy Icelandic hering over Norwegian (award winning, I hasten to add) herring, as the Norwegian herring is too expensive.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:02 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Sadly there is far too much of this sort of nonsense. Kids spending all their times indoors, getting bused and driven everywhere when they have to go anywhere (we never thought anything of walking the couple of miles between village and town, it was part of going there- there is a small loch on the way, and forests, and fields of sheep and horses, tons of birds and the occasional exciting glimpse of deer. Its just a blur of greenery and 2 secs of blue loch in a car and you notice nothing, or if you do you are passed it so quick you can't enjoy or appreciate it) and when kids do get to do stuff outdoors it seems it always has to be supervised now. Mad

Oh Gawd, I had hoped this was a purely American affliction - it's happening everywhere?

The race is doomed. Crying or Very sad

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:
Pick up your bokmål translations of The Lord of the Rings, fellow fjordians, and compare:

Spoiler:

And tell me that the bokmål translation ever came anywhere close to this. This is a sad day Sad

For non-Fjordlandians, I'd like to see a bokmal translation as well; just wondering if the change in poetry can be sensed from outside the language.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:30 pm

Bluebottle wrote:You know. I don't think I'd ever heard that song before you posted it, but I guess it's an intrinsic part of Christmas in Trøndelag? It's interesting to hear what other peoples Christmas associations are, and how they can be so different even within the same country. Smile

Yeah, that album is as much a part of Christmas for people from Trøndelag as the food we eat on Christmas Eve Smile

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:43 pm

For Halfy, same verse in Bokmål and Nynorsk

Bokmål:
Fra havets munn flyr et pust av vind over strender og stener fort;
Sønnavinde klager med måkers røst og stønner ved lukket port.
'Hva nytt fra sør bringer du med til meg i kveld, du sukkende vind?
Hvor bier min fagre Boromir nå? Jeg venter med sorgfullt sinn.'
'Spør meg ikke om blekede ben - så mange slumrer de der,
langs hviten strand eller sorten strand, under et mørknende vær;
så mang men har Anduin ført for å finne et åpent hav.
Spør Nordavinden som sendte dem sør, spør den hvor de ble av.'
'Akk, Boromir, utenfor porten blir mot havet en langsom vei;
og måkers skrik kom fra havet hit, men de kom uten deg.'

Nynorsk:
Frå havsens os flyg sunnandvind, han flyg yver steinut strond;
han kjem med høge måseryl og styn ved døri trong.
"Kva nytt kjem du med, du sukkand' vind, på vegen upp frå sud?
Kvar finst min fagre Boromir? Han drygjer, og eg ber sut."
"Spyr ikkje meg kvar han lakkar - det ligg att mang ein skrott
på kvitan strond, på svartan strond under myrke stormkavs brott;
så mange hev fare Anduin ned på leit etter fløymand' hav.
Frett heller nytt or nordanvind, frett honom kvar dei fór av!"
"Å Boromir! Burtum dyrane renn mot havet våte veg,
frå havsens os kom måseryl, men ikkje frette eg deg."

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:You know. I don't think I'd ever heard that song before you posted it, but I guess it's an intrinsic part of Christmas in Trøndelag? It's interesting to hear what other peoples Christmas associations are, and how they can be so different even within the same country. Smile

Yeah, that album is as much a part of Christmas for people from Trøndelag as the food we eat on Christmas Eve Smile

"Christmas in Trøndelag." Very Happy

Ah.. I guess you might not get the reference.. but if you read my story you will. Wink

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:52 pm

that Nynorsk definitely rolls and flows better. Nod

Amarië wrote:For Halfy, same verse in Bokmål and Nynorsk

Bokmål:
Fra havets munn flyr et pust av vind over strender og stener fort;
Sønnavinde klager med måkers røst og stønner ved lukket port.
'Hva nytt fra sør bringer du med til meg i kveld, du sukkende vind?
Hvor bier min fagre Boromir nå? Jeg venter med sorgfullt sinn.'
'Spør meg ikke om blekede ben - så mange slumrer de der,
langs hviten strand eller sorten strand, under et mørknende vær;
så mang men har Anduin ført for å finne et åpent hav.
Spør Nordavinden som sendte dem sør, spør den hvor de ble av.'
'Akk, Boromir, utenfor porten blir mot havet en langsom vei;
og måkers skrik kom fra havet hit, men de kom uten deg.'

Nynorsk:
Frå havsens os flyg sunnandvind, han flyg yver steinut strond;
han kjem med høge måseryl og styn ved døri trong.
"Kva nytt kjem du med, du sukkand' vind, på vegen upp frå sud?
Kvar finst min fagre Boromir? Han drygjer, og eg ber sut."
"Spyr ikkje meg kvar han lakkar - det ligg att mang ein skrott
på kvitan strond, på svartan strond under myrke stormkavs brott;
så mange hev fare Anduin ned på leit etter fløymand' hav.
Frett heller nytt or nordanvind, frett honom kvar dei fór av!"
"Å Boromir! Burtum dyrane renn mot havet våte veg,
frå havsens os kom måseryl, men ikkje frette eg deg."

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Rolling Eyes actually i don't understand much of that if i hadn't read it in both bokmål and english beforehand..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:27 pm

It's some form of landsmål, which is probably the reason why. Once you get into it (the translation), you'll love it Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:37 pm

It a very geek-a-licious translation. It gives the different dialects of Hobbits and men and elves the variation and historic roots that Tolkien wanted to show, but couldn't because English didn't have deep enough roots.

The Bokmål translation is wonderful too, it is a good and faithful translation of Tolkien's books the way they were written. The Nynorsk version takes it a further by doing it the way Tolkien wanted to.

You know, the exact OPOSITE of what PJ's doing...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Yup, it is a pretty fantastic translation Smile I think 2015 will be a good year for re-reads Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
Ringdrotten wrote:

"Christmas in Trøndelag." Very Happy

Ah.. I guess you might not get the reference.. but if you read my story you will. Wink

I'll have to get around to doing that.. sometime after December 19th Embarassed Got a paper I need to finish when I'm home from this little vacation, so there will be little time for fiction until the 19th I'm afraid. Meanwhile, another song from Jul in Trøndelag (let's just call it that Very Happy)

My favourite song on that album, however sad the lyrics. It's like the trønder version of Fairytale of New York.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Ah, yes, papers. I perfectly understand.  Smile

Well, why don't you treat it as a christmas present then. Wink

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:32 pm

As if the northern lights weren't spectacular enough. Rolling Eyes

http://www.nrk.no/nordnytt/glem-elg-i-solnedgang-_-her-danser-nordlyset-med-reinen-1.12133512

Video in the link. Wink

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:47 pm

I like that reindeer, at the end he's like, 'hold no, this is my good side' Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:31 pm

can you see the Northern Lights in Finland? If you can, I know an African kid who is going to get one hell of a shock when he gets of the plane. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:14 pm

Yes, but it depends where in Finland, if there are Northern Lights in the sky and if the sky is clear.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:48 pm

Laughing

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 2 C=0,0,1626,1076;w=420;h=278;36868
http://www.nrk.no/kultur/bok/om-the-social-guidebook-to-norway-1.12155043

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:30 pm

That book should be handed out at the airport... No joke.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Yeah. Very Happy Though the article does overstate some stuff, like I would apologize if I bumped into someone on the street. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:27 pm

maybe you guys need those UV light boxes Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:37 pm

I would turn the light on, but I can't see the switch. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Yeah. Very Happy Though the article does overstate some stuff, like I would apologize if I bumped into someone on the street. Shrugging

That's a little ambiguous. Are you saying Norwegians are likely not to apologize, or they apologize too much? Or would they swear a blue streak like Norc and carry on?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next