Ringdrotten
Eldorion
halfwise
Pettytyrant101
Norc
14 posters

Page 31 of 31 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 29, 30, 31

Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 31 Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3]

Post by Amarië Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Halftime... A relative of yours I assume? The family business, perhaps?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 31 Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3]

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:36 pm

Halftime does seem to be the family business in recent years. My sister, brother and I take turns being underemployed. It's been my turn for the last year or so.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:39 pm

halfwise wrote:
Norc wrote:
Forest Shepherd wrote:Those glasses of beer make Norc look like a hobbit: they're huge!

haha, well i am tiny so any beer above 0,5L makes me look small..

edit: also i have a funny feeling Ringo purpously bought the biggest one..

> They call it "a pint."
> It comes in pints?

One of the rare examples of good non-Tolkien writing in the movies.
It's another patch on Pippin and Merry's jester costumes, is the downside.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun May 10, 2020 2:44 pm

halfwise wrote:The alcohol content does tend to increase with the designation.  I've read that it comes from the rinse of the wort, with successive rinses producing less malt so less alcohol; but that doesn't really hold up because the traditional style has a doppel with malty, chocolately taste and color, a trippel is usually light in color but more fruity and spicy. The trippel is a bit of a mix of the two; but since it would be the first rinse you'd think it would have the more chocolaty taste, etc.  

But unless you're a beer person you probably wouldn't be paying attention to these rather localized styles.  I think Ringo or Blue may be up on it.  For me, anyone who claims to like beer but isn't fascinated by the Belgian styles is problematic.  I can be friends with them but will skirt that topic like I would politics if I knew they were a Trump supporter.  Some dark parts of the soul don't need to be explored.

Hey, Halfie Smile I am quite the beer drinker and i am also quite fond of the belgian beers, although, sour beers i still haven't warmed up to. i have never heard of the trippel, druppel etc. labeling of beers... sounds very americnized to make it more easy to.. idk.. comprehend. I have gotten the impression that young americans drink beer and not a lot of vodka etc. at parties because of the drinking age, so that might explain why the alcohol percentage is kinda important part of the naming. if you wanna be fancy here an get strong beer (as we call it) you need to go to the (state-run) liqour store (the only place you can buy wine, spirits and strong beer over 4,7 %).

about the long overdue meet up in oxford... fuck corona, but it should definietly happen. hope everyones ok out there.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 pm

Norcy! :carrot:

Beer in Europe definitely tastes different from beer here, because like cheese about half our beer is pasteurized. To ensure getting living beer you need to go to a brewery, which has become popular in recent decades, thankfully. Much beer is now distributed unpasteurized, but there's no uniformity.

I've been warming up to sour beers. But you definitely have to seek out the good ones.

So good to hear from you! I hope your live is going well. And yes, the Oxford meet-up has to happen, but I think we have to let this dang blasted virus blow through. And money is tight for many people right now, including me. (Within a month I'll know if I should do a job switch. Chasing research money is not working.) So we'll keep the dream alive.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun May 10, 2020 3:23 pm

halfwise wrote:Norcy!  :carrot:

Beer in Europe definitely tastes different from beer here, because like cheese about half our beer is pasteurized.  To ensure getting living beer you need to go to a brewery, which has become popular in recent decades, thankfully.  Much beer is now distributed unpasteurized, but there's no uniformity.

I've been warming up to sour beers.  But you definitely have to seek out the good ones.

So good to hear from you!  I hope your live is going well.  And yes, the Oxford meet-up has to happen, but I think we have to let this dang blasted virus blow through.  And money is tight for many people right now, including me.  (Within a month I'll know if I should do a job switch.  Chasing research money is not working.)  So we'll keep the dream alive.

yes, the meet up seem even more unattainable.. but as i just discovered, there is a discord server, so maybe technology is trying to tell us something ...

that's so weird, are you joking, or are they actualt pasteruzizing (idgf how it's spelled) beer? why?!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 10, 2020 3:41 pm

Cheese, beer, everything. But with domestic brewers and creameries that knee jerk reaction is going away. America is still recovering from the plastic food culture that started in the 1950's.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 10, 2020 3:45 pm

I'd much prefer zoom to discord. But I've learned face meetings must involve alcohol or they just don't work as well.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun May 10, 2020 3:54 pm

halfwise wrote:I'd much prefer zoom to discord.  But I've learned face meetings must involve alcohol or they just don't work as well.
that is true. although zoom is kinda bad with your personal data etc.. 

america always seem to ruin good food..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 16, 2020 1:39 pm

I've decided that with the snow still falling in Fjordlandia, this is the most appropriate thread in which to post.  I fell under the spell of mint juleps about 20 years ago, and it was this bit of historical recipe that captured my imagination.

A mint julep is not a product of a formula. It is a ceremony and must be performed by a gentleman possessing a true sense of the artistic, a deep reverence for the ingredients and a proper appreciation of the occasion. It is a rite that must not be entrusted to a novice, a statistician nor a Yankee.

https://civilwarhome.com/mintjulep.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:28 pm

Since nobody's posted in days I thought I'd throw this out for speculation:

In this forum the song "det snor det snor, tiddeli bom" has some currency.  I wonder if that tiddeli bom has a direct relationship to the Winnie-the-Pooh song "The more it snows, tiddely pom...".  They both have the same delightful sensibilities:

The more it snows (Tiddely pom)
The more it goes  (Tiddely pom)
The more it goes  (Tiddely pom)
On snowing

And nobody knows  (Tiddely pom)
How cold my toes (Tiddely pom)
How cold my toes (Tiddely pom)
Are growing

It snows it snows,
tiddeli bom.
That's what it does
tiddeli bom.
Now it snows more than before
tiddeli bom and tuttemei tu.

So cold it is,
tiddeli bom.
I know it here -
tiddeli bom,
I can feel it on my toes,
tiddeli bom - and huttemei tu.

I wonder if the first song (written around 1930) inspired the second one?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:29 pm

Yes, it certainly is. Egner translated the book (books?) into Norwegian, and made it into a song for the book. Thorbjørn Egner is famous in Norway for making stories and songs for childre. Also a very well knows voice on the radio with stores for children in his time.

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 31 9788202544638

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:45 pm

Ah, that brought back some memories, Amarie Very Happy

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 31 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:21 pm

{{Ringo! cheers Good to see you about the place again. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:17 pm

Når en pepperkake baker, baker pepperbake kake
Tar han først en stekegryte
Og en kilo margarin
Oppi gryta smelter smøret, og det neste han må gjøre
Er å røre sammen smøret og en kilo med farin

Farin, det er det samme som sukker det
Ja, jeg veit det

Og mens smør og sukker skummer
Tar man åtte eggeplummer, som man rører ut i gryta
Med en kilo hvetemjøl
Og til slutt i gryta slepper man en liten teskje pepper
Også rører man omkring og tømmer deigen på ei fjøl

Sånn er det
Da er det ingen sak!
Etterpå kjevler du deigen så flat som en pannekake
Så flat som en pannekake
Så tar du mann- og koneformer og lager mann- og konekaker
Mann- og koneformer og lager mann- og konekaker
Og legger dem på kakebrettet, og steker dem i steker ovnen
Og legger dem på kakebrettet, og steker dem i stekerovnen
Det er utmerket, gå i gang!
Det er i gang, jeg går utmerket!

Når en pepperkake baker, baker pepperbake kake
Tar han først en stekegryte
Og en kilo margarin
Oppi gryta smelter smøret, og det neste han må gjøre
Er å røre sammen smøret og en teskje med farin

Og mens smør og sukker skummer
Tar man åtte eggeplommer, som man rører rundt i gryta
Med en kilo hvetemjøl
Og til slutt i gryta slepper man til slutt en kilo pepper
Også rører man omkring og tømmer deigen på en fjøl!

Spot the error Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 pm

It's got little round dots over the 'a'.  Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [3] - Page 31 1f608

(trying out the new emojis.)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:02 pm

Didn't temper the egg yolks before mixing into hot ingredients.

Also fried them in the oven.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:47 pm

There is one very obvious error if you look closely, you're on the right track with your recipe approach Wink

Last edited by Bluebottle on Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:53 pm

First time around it's a teaspoon of pepper. Then he got carried away.

Is this a popular song or just a misprint?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:08 pm

It is a popular song of two rabbits, one the master baker and another the apprentice, the first teaching the second who when left to his devices.. it's a famous children song by the same writer mentioned above from a play called Dyrene i Hakkebakkeskogen

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:19 pm

So I just learned that in Fjordlandia "Texas" has long been a synonym for crazy. As in "that party was totally Texas."

Somehow I don't think any Texans would be offended by this.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:46 pm

I read somewhere it's a reference to old western movies. Before the hero rides into town to bring law and order and an end to the bad guys.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 31 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 29, 30, 31