Pettytyrant101
Bluebottle
Eldorion
halfwise
Norc
15 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [2] Empty Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [2]

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:That looks so cool- like a massive starburst! Or was your sister driving so fast you hit hyperspace?! Shocked
i really hope they didn't drive fast... and i really hope my sister didn't drive and took the picture.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [2] Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [2]

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:14 pm

halfwise wrote:bye Norc.  It's been fun, we'll entertain ourselves with the more Southern Fjordlandians while you're gone.
i'm not going anywhere.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [2] Empty Re: Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [2]

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:28 pm

You're about to become one with the ice block that is your home. Once you thaw and your life functions have resumed we'll pick the conversation back up, okay?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm glad that we don't have mandatory service in America. I can see some of the arguments in favor of it, but I think that (at least in the case of America) we're better off without it. Although one of the problems with the all volunteer army is that they keep lowering the requirements to get into the army because they need people for the wars in Afghanistan and (until recently) Iraq, so you see more and more criminals and gang members getting into the army. But that's more of a problem with trying to fight a war without going on war footing than anything else.

I did have to register for the draft when I turned 18, and I have to keep the Draft Board informed of my whereabouts until I'm (IIRC) 25. Girls are exempt from this, though. They haven't prosecuted anyone for draft evasion since the '70s, but if you don't register you're automatically and permanently disqualified for certain government jobs, and as a political science major I wanted to keep my options open. Razz I don't know what I'd do if a draft occurred in the next six years. I was raised a Quaker, who are one of the historic peace churches in the US and have a long history of conscientious objection. So I'd be expected by my family and many friends to refuse to serve (there would probably be alternative service available for conscientious objectors. That's been the case since WWII, although before then you were more likely to be imprisoned and possibly tortured). I'm unsure how I'd respond though, largely because I don't identify as a Quaker any more, but I would feel very uncomfortable morally with serving in the US Army.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:49 pm

oh you hippie.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Though I object to the often senseless killing that accompanies war, I also accept that a very strong military, used correctly, can prevent much bloodshed in an often crazy world.

I remember a friend of mine who had a military background went and tried to sign up again when Clinton finally authorized troops for Serbia.  He didn't like Clinton, but felt it was appropriate use of force and I agreed with him.  (he was rejected as too old).

The second Iraq war was simply wrong, though I think the first was well done. Textbook, in fact.  Afghanistan suffered from lack of force and concentration - sometimes the fewer soldiers you send the more people die. Some people are too dumb to read the textbook.

So on balance I agree with about half the battles the US fights, but think unless the country is truly under threat they should be fought by those who choose to do so.  And they deserve all the after service benefits they get for making that choice.  No complaints with recruitment at schools so long as they are honest.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Recruitment of minors really bothers me, although if my dad hadn't been convinced to join ROTC when he was 17 I likely wouldn't be here cause he never would have met my mom. Razz Recruitment in general makes sense though. Service benefits should absolutely be a thing, too; I think the GI Bill in particular is one of the most important pieces of American legislation in the last hundred years.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:35 pm

I've seen two kinds of recruitment: quietly sitting behind tables waiting for people to approach, and actively participating in school life through ROTC programs. I looked down on ROTC when I was in college, but when I saw the positive impact a correctly designed ROTC program could have when teaching high school, I became a supporter.

Aggressive recruitment to minors I'm against, but so long as they simply let people approach I'm in favor.

{{{ have we Norced the Viking thread yet? I think at least one more must join in before it's official. }}}

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:48 pm

NO BLOODY WELL HAVE NOT IT WAS ABOUT THE NORWEGIAN ARMY THIS IS JUST A MINOR DEVIATION!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:56 pm

{{{ Gee Eldo, maybe we should go off and Norc another thread where the inhabitants are less touchy. }}}

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:57 pm

Very Happy 

Actually, I might have to take the blame for that Halfwise. I responded to Petty asking Norc if she had been drafted into the army and I only now realise it was on the completely wrong thread. Embarassed 

Still it has lead to a stimulating discussion, non.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Norc wrote:it keeps snowing and hailing and it is ridiculous. the windows at my school were snowed down and there is snow on the walls.. and from the five minutes it took walking from my bus stop (had to take another buss) my face was numb and i couldn't feel my thighs.. 
just to show.. my sister took this picture out of the front window of the while driving home.
Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [2] 1441406_10201170576242762_1023413049_n
Wow, wouldn't like to be driving in that weather. Shocked 

Hopefully you won't get completely burried, though maybe you'll get a go at the snow record this year?

At least it must be glorious weather to sit inside with a cup of kakao looking out of the window at in. Very Happy 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:14 pm

weeeeell.. i guess..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:20 pm

oh you hippie. - Norc

Laughing Laughing Laughing 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:48 pm

What a strange country.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/vaer/artikkel.php?artid=10133419

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Yep, they even talk funny.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:23 pm

Laughing 

Well. You might have to qualify that statement by saying which part if you want to give it any real sting. With the amounts and variabilty of dialects in this country it's a bit like saying the english speaking world sounds funny. Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:27 pm

he finds the R's weird. or sexy, can't remember...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Its Halfy we are talking about- my moneys on him finding them sexy Very Happy 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:06 pm

I found the rolled R's to be a safety hazard.  But you all talk like you're one step west of the Swedish Chef.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:13 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Laughing 

Well. You might have to qualify that statement by saying which part if you want to give it any real sting. With the amounts and variabilty of dialects in this country it's a bit like saying the english speaking world sounds funny. Laughing 
the British speaking world does all sound funny.  But they can't hold a candle to you Fjordians.  I'm sure the vikings were quite terrifying until they got to the war cry bit.  Then it was all "Angrep! Drepe! ...Bjork!!" and the English all fell over laughing and were slaughtered.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Laughing weell.. u haven't heard a northerner Nod you'de be terrified Very Happy

also.. swedish chef <3
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:That looks so cool- like a massive starburst! Or was your sister driving so fast you hit hyperspace?! Shocked
Love that you said that, Petty Very Happy When I was a kid, maybe 5 or 6, and sat in the front seat I used to imagine that we went into hyperspace when the snow came rushing against the windshield like that Very Happy Once a nerd, always a nerd Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [2] Icon_tie1

Fjordlandia Viking bar & kaffistove, main str. 221B, Needlehole [2] Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:42 pm

aw, that's so cute ^^
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:13 pm

halfwise wrote:"Angrep! Drepe! ...Bjork!!"
That's actually quite insightfull, Halfwise. Picking up on the fact that the people in question wouldn't be speaking norwegian at all, but norrønt. Which is quite similar to the language spoken on Iceland, where Bjørk is from.

Last edited by Bluebottle on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next