Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

+19
Johnnyd
chris63
Sinister71
Ringdrotten
Orwell
Norc
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
RA
malickfan
David H
azriel
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Tinuviel
Radaghast
bungobaggins
halfwise
Eldorion
23 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Then again the fanbase is a small minority compared to the absolute dejection these films seem to have left everyone else in.  Shrugging 

So maybe we're not all that far off after all.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 Empty Re: Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'...

Post by David H Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:11 pm

I think the fact that so many people would like to see the movies continue indefinitely is a tribute to the world JRRT created. Even through the filter of PJ's movies, it leaves people wanting to dig deeper and explore more corners of Middle Earth. Hopefully their curiosity will eventually lead some of them to the books.

Silmarillion movies would be hard for me to swallow, because I can imagine how butchered the stories would be by the time they made it onto the screen, but I could probably accept a bridge film or films a little more easily if I just thought of them as fan fiction like 'Born of Hope' or 'Hunt for Gollum'. Fans will be fans!  Rolling Eyes 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:08 pm

I have come to the conclusion that Cleansing Ceremonies are useful, some people take salt baths, some people burn Sage in their rooms, some people drink Buckie, seeing as my ancestors were Druids I should really make a human sacrifice or throw some gold object into a lake or bog, but failing that I tried to find a way of cleansing my mind of these idiot films, I tried reading the Hobbit again, and sad to say it was tainted by the forementioned idiot films. I keep seeing Armitage when Thorin was mentioned and once or twice I imagined Freemans twitchy Bilbo, I was even going to skip reading the Goblin caves, as I remembered the tedium of the idiot film, and was pleasantly surprised when the book was Not Boring At All, I enjoyed it, I enjoyed all the original beauty, so I think andI hope  I have cleansed my mind palace of idiot films and Tolkien is now in his rightful place. No human sacrifice needed. Result.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Glad you're feeling cleansed at last.

Me, I won't be reading the Hobbit all the way through until several months after I see TABA so that I don't co-mingle the stories in my mind. For now I'm just using the book as a reference. When I know something is wrong, I'll go to the appropriate chapter and refresh my memory, but I try not to do more than that.

And I'd just like to point out, while we're on the topic of purification, that cranberries grow in bogs, which from what you say may have something to do with their "purification" properties as well. Very Happy
And if you ever feel the urge to fling gold into a bog, just let me know. I'm sure I can help you out!  Nod 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Thumbs Up 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Well, I'm glad you refound the spirit of Tolkiens story in the book as well Figg. That's the part the movies missed for me completely. They might have had some of the same story elements. Little else sadly.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:01 pm

They definitely shared some of the same story elements in the sense that the book still includes a hobbit who goes on an adventure. Laughing It's not about him in the movie though and that's a problem.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Okay, some story elements were definitely shared.  Laughing 

And I agree completely. The shocking thing is that the best part of the movie, which was Bilbos conversation with Smaug, was cut so short to fit all their other nonesense in. And in a close to three hour long movie at that.  Rolling Eyes 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:
Recoveryanonymous wrote:I certainly hope we don't see a lotr cartoon show on kids WB.

We got a bit of that already with the silly story additions in the computer games, didn't we.  Rolling Eyes 

So people are obviously ready to go that far to make money off Tolkiens works.
Yeah those computer games are pretty bad for the most part. I think the ones that came out like ten years ago to tie-in with Two Towers and Return of the King were actually pretty good though. There was also the Battle for Middle Earth RTS series which wasn't half bad. Since like 2006 though the games coming out have been generally terrible.
Lord of the Rings Online came out in 2008 or so, and looks very good, draws from tons of lore, and has a great community. So there's one exception.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:27 am

bungobaggins wrote:

cheers 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Someone started this petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/warner-brothers-don-t-kill-thorin

Can we start one 'Warner Bros please kill Thorin twice to piss off the fangirls'?

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:37 pm

hahaha

No seriously, what?
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Yep it's a real petition, apparently Armitage's hair and grunting is that persuasive.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm

I like that he's a simple of courage and reclaiming one's homeland now, too.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:00 pm

I still picture Ian Mcshane (a less talented actor) when I see Armitage as Thorin-he's pretty much the only character from the books I still have my own imagery of, and he's a barely sketched out douchebag...so Armitage's charms haven't worked on me I'm afraid.

Laughing 

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:08 pm

I hadn't thought of McShane as Thorin until someone (possibly you) brought it up in another thread, but now I try to mentally paste him over Armitage when I think of Thorin. Razz

Fortunately my mental image of The Hobbit was pretty well-engrained from reading it so many times over the years so the movies haven't really eroded that. My image of LOTR, on the other hand, was tinted by the movies from the beginning since my first copies of the book had movie tie-in covers. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:12 pm

Resist the temptation to look for Silmarillion images on Deviant Art, there are some stunning peices of work on there, but I have pretty much lost most of my imagery.

And yeah I was me who mentioned Mcshane! (Oddly enough Billy Connoly would be a pretty good match as well, Armitage is actually close to how I picture Dain)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:57 pm

malickfan wrote:Someone started this petition:

Can we start one 'Warner Bros please kill Thorin twice to piss off the fangirls'?

Oh, wow, an internet petition. Those always accomplish their goal. Rolling Eyes

Some people should really consider getting a life.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:46 pm

Evil or Very Mad 

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:28 am

I can't wait for all of them to die! It will make me feel better about everything else.

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:17 am

bungobaggins wrote:Oh, wow, an internet petition. Those always accomplish their goal. Rolling Eyes

http://www.petitiononline.com/twotower/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:08 am

bungobaggins wrote:

Oh, wow, an internet petition. Those always accomplish their goal. Rolling Eyes

I really wish the petition for Merp had been successful, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm glad that the modding team now has an outlet for their creativity with their new project. It must have hurt an incredible amount to have years of hard work poured into a project all puffed out by some lawyer who probably saw it as a means of getting ahead in his own career; I'd like to imagine that the positive feedback they received from many of the signers helped boost their spirits and confidence in their craft through what I can only imagine as a very trying time for them all. So yes while some petitions may be silly or ill-conceived, I don't think the concept is inherently flawed.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 Tumblr_mzet9aZVrN1qk8t2to2_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 Tumblr_mzet9aZVrN1qk8t2to1_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 Tumblr_mzet9aZVrN1qk8t2to3_r1_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 Tumblr_mzet9aZVrN1qk8t2to4_r1_250
Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 Tumblr_mzet9aZVrN1qk8t2to5_r1_250Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 Tumblr_mzet9aZVrN1qk8t2to6_r1_250
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:03 pm

wow Kili looking like a Dwarf, who'd a thunk it? Tauriel wouldnt have got the hots for that.  No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:34 pm

THAT'S HOW HE SHOULD LOOK!!!! ELVES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PRETTY, NOT DWARVES!

Waiting for 'The Battle of the Five Armies'... - Page 3 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next