Biffo Banks
Norc
Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
gray gundulf
26 posters

Page 20 of 39 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29 ... 39  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 20 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:05 pm

yeah its weird, 11 days, time really has flown. Shocked 

I think I will have Pettys edited DOS dialogue running through my mind as I watch the film, even though he hasnt written it yet I can just imagine the kind of things he will be saying during a certain Orc/Elven interview, I will probably get a few unwelcome Benny Hill music interludes during the many chase scenes as well.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS] - Page 20 Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [3] [SPOILERS]

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:13 pm

It's strange; a lot has happened for me this year so in a way it feels like it's been a really long time since last December.  But I have very distinct memories of watching The Hobbit and talking about it here; much clearer than most other things from that same time. I suspect it's because I've continued to think about the film and run over parts of it in my mind throughout the year when discussing it (mostly online). Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:15 pm

11 days. Eek. That was fast. Only recently I was seeing people with countdown clocks that began at 100 days to go. Surprised 

I might be able to go on opening day with my brother and sister-in-law. Hoping that is the case, otherwise it'll just be little lonely old me in the cinema in a couple weeks.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:21 pm

I'll be waiting until about a week after the film comes out I think. No need to go with the crush on opening week-end!
Cherish these moments, fellow forum-geeks, for soon our expectations will be put down, and we will have two dreary Hobbit films, where once we had but one.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:23 pm

I am counting down the days, from when I see the film to when I think I can at the earliest forget them again through vast alcohol consumption Twisted Evil drunken 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:23 pm

I am expecting the worst, but going with others who have a positive attitude could do me some good, I think. Shrugging 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:27 pm

but going with others who have a positive attitude- Bungo

Where do you find them!? I cant get anyone to go because they have all seen the first one.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:28 pm

Will that be Glasgow or your local shed, Petty?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:30 pm

bungobaggins wrote:I am expecting the worst, but going with others who have a positive attitude could do me some good, I think. Shrugging 
This was definitely helpful for me when I saw the films for a second time last year. I think people who haven't followed the films' development have a different perspective regardless of their purist or other sympathies.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:31 pm

The shed Blue- I resent paying any money towards Pj for these films, I am definitely not shelling out the extra for ferry and trains too, let alone expending that amount of time travelling to see them.
Im just one more shit announcement away from opting for just watching a crap cam copy and refusing to pay Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Yeah, I can get that. Judging by AUJ, maybe it's just as well.

Eldorion wrote:
This was definitely helpful for me when I saw the films for a second time last year.  I think people who haven't followed the films' development have a different perspective regardless of their purist or other sympathies.
Haha, that reminds me.

My brother was all positve after seeing the movie for the first time. Then he reread the Hobbit and his opinion of the movie took a nosedive. Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:51 pm

My dad tried to introduce both my brother and I to Tolkien at the same time. I wasn't interested at first but eventually read through both TH and LOTR and loved it. He kept trying to get my brother interested but it didn't take. A few years later we watched the movies together, but my brother has never been a Tolkien fan. Just a week ago though he asked to borrow my copy of LOTR so he can read it once he finishes his re-read of Dune. He said he wasn't interested in TH because he wanted to read a story with more complex world-building, though. I've got my fingers crossed that he likes it now. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Eldorion wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:I am expecting the worst, but going with others who have a positive attitude could do me some good, I think. Shrugging 
This was definitely helpful for me when I saw the films for a second time last year.  I think people who haven't followed the films' development have a different perspective regardless of their purist or other sympathies.
My brother hasn't read the books, and his wife is a big fan of the movies (and I'm fuzzy on whether or not she's read them). But anyway, I saw AUJ alone. I had asked a bunch of friends to go, they all said no. Then who shows up at the midnight screening? One of the friends I had asked. Pfff. I still sat alone. At least I know that my brother and sister in law will actually be there, and I can trust them.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Last week my 12 year old niece was over for the day. She wasn't reading any story-books for school at the time, so I offered her The Hobbit.
She said that she had seen the movie, and never wanted to read the book. Mad 

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Ouch. Sad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:20 pm

b-b-b-b-b-b-but Peter Jackson's movies make people want to read the book!

/s

pale 

Maybe she was so bored by the movie that she doesn't want to read the book.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:23 pm

bungobaggins wrote:b-b-b-b-b-b-but Peter Jackson's movies make people want to read the book!

/s

pale 

Maybe she was so bored by the movie that she doesn't want to read the book.
The first trilogy* you mean.
Then again, she's also twelve, and spends more time texting than reading anyway.

And yes that is exactly why. She was bored and thought it stupid.

But then again, she is twelve.

The point being, I was near her age when I watched LotR and read the books thereof. This is a single instance of it, but it would seem Jackson's The Hobbit is not having the same effect this time around.

Then again, this is a single instance. I know I've been rereading the book because of the movies; more for a reason Petty would identify with however.  Razz Razz

Edit: This is my fifth edit. I keep adding lines Smile

6th Edit: Does anyone have a particular pre-showing ritual for Tolkien movies?
I remember wearing ear-plugs for a few hours before I went into the theatre for TT and RotK. I suppose it was to make the experience more powerful!

7th Edit: I was, and am, such a nerd. Cool 

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Aren't girls that age usually into Twilight and the like?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:33 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Aren't girls that age usually into The Hunger Games* and the like?
*Fixed it for you.

We went to see Catching Fire together. I was vastly entertained because I really liked the movie, and she had read the book, unlike me, and was quite crabbit about the differences. (She also enjoyed it a lot though.)

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:34 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:6th Edit: Does anyone have a particular pre-showing ritual for Tolkien movies?
I usually just sit quietly for about an hour before I leave for the theater, and I try not to think about anything.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:Aren't girls that age usually into The Hunger Games* and the like?
*Fixed it for you.

We went to see Catching Fire together. I was vastly entertained because I really liked the movie, and she had read the book, unlike me, and was quite crabbit about the differences. (She also enjoyed it a lot though.)
I just can't keep up with what the kids are into these days.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:39 pm

Well, currently, if you need any browny points with young people in that age bracket, simply ask of them what the fox says.
That should be useful for a good long time.
If they break into frantic dance movies while emitting ringing bell noises, do not panic as this is to be expected.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:And yes that is exactly why. She was bored and thought it stupid. 
Boring, stupid and didn't have a real ending Mad

As for TH part two, I find that I may have zero, maybe negative interest in seeing it. Not out of curiosity nor the desire to be able to criticize it authoritatively.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:45 pm

bungobaggins wrote:I just can't keep up with what the kids are into these days.
If you want to know what the next big thing is going to be, then go to your local bookstore and walk through the kids and teens sections.  Whatever the most advertised book series is, it's probably being groomed as a potential franchise and has a movie somewhere in the pipeline.  Ever since Harry Potter, movie producers have been raiding young adult literature for ideas.  Currently, the front-runner to be "the next big thing" is Divergent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_(novel)

The young adult bubble is inevitably going to burst at some point, but even though plenty of them have bombed (hello, Mortal Instruments!), so long as we continue to get new $300 million-plus franchises from the genre every couple of years, studios will keep trying to go back to the well.  IMO.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:46 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:The shed Blue- I resent paying any money towards Pj for these films, I am definitely not shelling out the extra for ferry and trains too, let alone expending that amount of time travelling to see them.
Me too. I'm trying to think about it not as giving money to WB and PJ, but to helping support our local theater.
View locally! pub
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 39 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 29 ... 39  Next