Sinister71
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Mrs Figg
Norc
29 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] Empty The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Norc Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:55 am

i don't know if a thread like this already exist but i thought we needed  a new thread to discuss our thoughts, hopes, doubts and such regarding the next hobbit movie.

I am gonna start this thread by addressing the barrel subject.
we all know the scene is going to be open barrels in a dramatic river. This is very different from the book, yes, because the barrels are closed and the river is slow (why would you risk crushing your barrels?). I on the other hand think this is a good change because how entertaining is it to whatch 13 closed barrels and one with a soaking wet and miserable hobbit float down the river calmly? vs. a wild and dramatic escape?
The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] Tumblr_mhmquudOMq1r09qfio1_500
The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] Tumblr_mhmquudOMq1r09qfio2_500
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

I think the closed barrels would be technically harder to film as presumably it would be pitch black inside the barrels, which would be boring. So at least we get some OTT reaction shots from open barrels I guess.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] Empty Re: The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:28 pm

I think it depends how much you want to make of it- Tolkien, being sensible and thoughtful realized that a journey down river in some barrels would not be a fun fair ride of waterfalls and rapids or there would be no point using such a river for sending barrels down- PJ on the other hand will give us a roller coaster ride for the barrels and it will not be in the slightest bit sensible, or make any sense as a means of moving barrels. Mad
Open barrels make more sense if you want to see reactions as they go into rapids and approach waterfalls, as PJ will- it will just makes no sense if you stop to think about it, as usual with PJ. Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:00 pm

but how boring it would be with five minutes of easy floating closed barrels floating down a sleepy river?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 pm

But it doesn't have to be a big scene- its not really in the book- escaping and getting into the barrels is the exciting bit- the river is the tense bit- will they survive or all be drowned?- and where they end up is the interesting bit.
There is no reason beyond Pj's inability to avoid cliche and doing the bloody obvious to turn the barrel sequence into a big event.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:32 pm

but big events are fun. there's still that aspect of "will they drown".
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Big events are fun- Norc

Not when PJ makes them up- storm giants? Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:41 pm

I know they're going to CGI it out, but part of me almost hopes they'll leave the railroad bridge in. Laughing It reminds me of my own outdoor adventures from when I was in the Boy Scouts. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Big events are fun- Norc

THEY'RE IN THE FUCKING BOOK!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] Empty Smaug is gonna take a backseat to the Necromancer

Post by Sinister71 Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:05 am

and end up being a secondary villain in the trilogy. That's my prediction. With all the Azog nonsense and Bolg being the Torturer of DolGuldur, its all gonna come back around to being all about Sauron and his wanting to dominate middle earth again. Nothing more. Jackson has already proved the films aren't about Bilbo or his adventure nearly as much as they are about Thorin and his determination to reclaim Erobor dragging a Hobbit along with them.

One of the things I missed in AUJ was Bilbo being brought along for the lucky number and the dwarves superstitions about starting out with 13 on the quest How will that play out in his conversation with Smaug? thats already one bit of dialogue we will be missing I'm sure.

One thing I am hoping for is Smaug NOT dying in DOS. I hope they end the film with him flying off to burn Laketown to the ground and leave the dwarves on a happy note and leave the audience with a cliffhanger. Wondering what happened to Smaug.
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:08 am

Norc wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Big events are fun- Norc

THEY'RE IN THE FUCKING BOOK!

But the dwarves weren't riding on them like a roller coaster. They were off in the distance in the book throwing boulders at each other during a storm forcing the dwarve to seek shelter. Nothing more. The whole rock em sock em robots amusement park ride nonsense was just OTT and poorly written and done IMO
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:20 am

And the atmosphere was edgy, creepy in the dark, in the book. But in the film, oh no, not PJs S.Giants, NO! It had to be a "do or die" situation, a chance to show off the Dwarves heroics. Apart from the Bag-End begining,at the start of the film, I can say that there isnt ONE bloody scene in the film that "moved" me as the book did. I felt NOTHING from the film except..."when is it over?". I was yawning heartily, looking at clock, shifting in seat due to a numb bum. watching the audience, (the ones still awake ) & was practically the 1st out of my seat at the end, I should never have to feel about a film like that ?! People have argued that the events are correct, The Dwarves meet Bilbo, they go off, Goblin town etc, all in chronological order, maybe, but the atmosphere,tone,feel,anticipation,suspense,excitement, wasnt there. I walked along with them as I read the book, When I had the visual of the film, I just couldnt join in, I found no joy in the 1st film, not after The Bag-End scene. If I wanted S.Giants like those I could watch "Clash of the Titans" or any other fantasy/sci-fi film.

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Desolation of Smaug pre-release thread [SPOILERS] Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Petty's back! cheers

Not gonna rehash old arguments, just wanted to agree with Sinister that I think it would be a good idea not to kill Smaug in the middle set of movies. Would make the third movie anti-climatic for anyone who doesn't know there's a big battle coming up (such people DO exist).

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:59 pm

agree with you Azriel, although thankfully I found it overall an entertaining film, but when I think of my expectations, and how long I had waited and dreamed of seeing it, it makes me very sad to think of the result. Some parts from the beginning to the Trolls were very nice, but nice isnt what I was looking for. I was looking for mind blowing. It started very well, I was enthralled by Erebor and Dale, and there were lovely bits with the Song and the sparks flying out into the night, that was magical, but I didnt feel anything. Although I love Martin, it felt like very good acting rather than me actually seeing Bilbo, and he feels very contemporary in his mannerisms. I dont get that acting feeling from Ian Holm, he makes me believe he is Bilbo.
As for the rest of it after Trolls well it was mediocre.

at the mo Ori is the least convincing, that 'comedy' doofus act doesnt sit well at all, its really fake. I think they are trying too hard for the comic moments, there are too many and very bad, they are not subtle at all. Its not ME humour, I dont think the Hobbit was meant to be comic, it has gentle humour but thats different to gross out belching and snot. Its a bad sign when the first thing I remember from the Party is Ori's belch.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:30 pm

i disagree with all of you, but the fact that they shouldn't kill Smaug in the second movie. what would the third one be about?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:31 pm

i would write a good argument-filled reply, but i feel a bit sick and i have to pack ^^
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:45 pm

I hope you feel better Norc, and have a good trip. Very Happy eat some strudel for me.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:04 pm

Kissing cheers figgy ^^ i will, whatever strudel is Very Happy

auf wiedersehn gutes freunde!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:42 pm

apple strudel. yummy. I tink iz German yah.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Laughing Yes - and it is delicious Razz

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:49 pm

German? Suspect

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 am

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Semiramis Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 am

lol!

Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:03 pm

forgot to eat apple-strudel...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Norc wrote:forgot to eat apple-strudel...

You are SUCH a screw-up.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next