The Falkland Islands- another war in the making?

+4
Eldorion
Mrs Figg
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The Falkland Islands- another war in the making? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Falkland Islands- another war in the making?

Post by Lancebloke Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:19 am

That President Kircher chick is a bit of an odd one. Was reading some in depth article about the whole situation the other day and it seems like a lot of countries are starting to distance themselves from Argentina because of a lot of it policies, foreign and domestic.

They still have the broad support of the Latin American countries, but I believe they have got on the wrong side of their North Ameircan friends as well as some European and Asian countries.

While the Kircher administration keeps making these noises to rally the population and other foreign policy cracks stay below the surface, I think we can expect to have this rhetoric continue as they are in power following the next elections. I do think, however, that cracks will start to appear and more of their 'friends' will start to waiver, affecting trade relations and then the economy which is fragile enough as it is right now. Someone new will come in will new promises to fix what the old government neglected an the Falklands will probably be forgotten for a while.

Think those guys are all fine for now!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

The Falkland Islands- another war in the making? - Page 3 Empty Re: The Falkland Islands- another war in the making?

Post by Orwell Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:54 am

If you think of Argentinians as orcs, and Falklanders as hobbits, then it is easy to understand Britain wanting to defend the latter. "Respectable", Odo would say. sunny

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:31 pm

You see - Kircher has gone and pissed of the Spanish now!!

Told you it would all fall apart soon.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Kirchner seems desperate for a foreign enemy to rally her country around. I'm not familiar with Argentinian domestic politics but it seems like she must feel really unstable if she's trying so hard to keep people looking at foreign issues.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:What if the situation were reversed and the Isle of Wight belogned to Argentina and we disputed it? WOuld we allow planes and shipping to use UK ports and airports? Especially if there were votes in not doing so? I wonder if we would be any better?

I'll take it one step further: aren't there oil fields around the Falklands? Can't say the same for the isle of Wight, but the UK would still fight for it.

I was in Argentina about a year ago. Nice country. I think most people there don't give a tinker's damn about the Falklands, this is just those in power trying to secure resources for their country. Don't really blame them. But they won't have a much better chance than the Spanish trying to push the Brits off Gibraltar.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:07 am

Halfwise - I am not sure if this is as much an exercise of securing resources or diverting attention of the public away from domestic issues. I suppose both could go hand in hand.

I do think it is a very dangerous place for the administration to position themselves. Countries that isolate themselves from the international community tend to end up either with a swift change of administration and complete reversal of policy via the normal election process or, more worryingly, a people that focus their internal angers by uniting behind the 'national cause' and dragging the whole country down. That normally ends up in some form of civil or foreign war.

Not sure there is much appetite or ability for Argentina to wage a war with anyone so the civil version (in which I am including mass strikes, riots and a coup) is probably more likely.

Lets hope that people see some sense before then.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3