Beleg
Tinuviel
Radaghast
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PJ admits he's not actually making The Hobbit Empty PJ admits he's not actually making The Hobbit

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Earlier today Die Geek Show Show, a German video series, posted an interview they conducted with Peter Jackson (in English!) on his DOS press tour.  The interviewer began by asking PJ what made him change his mind about making The Hobbit, and PJ's response was very telling.

Die Geek Show Show wrote:Interviewer: As a fan I'm looking back to the background, and 15 years ago you said in an interview with Ain't It Cool News, perhaps you remember it, that it would be pretty hard to make a movie out of The Hobbit, or a satisfying movie.  What changed?

Peter Jackson: Well I mean, I always thought that The Hobbit was written in such a particular style, that Tolkien wrote it like a children's bedside story, that it was always going to be very difficult to adapt because it's just such a different … it's connected to The Lord of the Rings, but it's such a different sort of way of telling a story.  And it always made me nervous, it really made me kind of unsure of how to do it.  And it wasn't really until I started to work on it myself and started to really think about it, and really what ultimately changed things was saying rather than adapting just The Hobbit as the 1936 [sic] novel, we would be taking the Appendices and notes that Tolkien wrote much later on where he was connecting The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and to treat these as three movies that are basically going to lead into the three Lord of the Rings films.  Because that was really the point, that's what I am doing and that's the reason why I'm doing it really, is to say okay, well after these next couple of years we're not going to be releasing one of these movies each year anymore, what's going to be the case from that point on for decades to come, hopefully for decades, is gonna be six movies that have an overriding sort of an arc.  So it was connecting it to The Lord of the Rings and saying we're going to tell it not in the style of Tolkien with the bedtime story, we're going to actually tell it as the filmmakers who did The Lord of the Rings.  So we're coming at it from a different direction for sure.

The TL;DR for those who don't want to watch or read the whole interview:

Peter Jackson wrote:[R]ather than adapting just The Hobbit as the 1936 [sic] novel, we would be taking the Appendices and notes that Tolkien wrote much later on where he was connecting The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and to treat these as three movies that are basically going to lead into the three Lord of the Rings films.  Because that was really the point, that's what I am doing and that's the reason why I'm doing it really, is to [make a series that is] six movies that have an overriding sort of an arc

Straight from the horse's mouth: the reason PJ is making The Hobbit is to make prequels to his LOTR movies, not to adapt the book.  I've been saying this for some time, but I never expected PJ to openly agree with me!
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

PJ admits he's not actually making The Hobbit Empty Re: PJ admits he's not actually making The Hobbit

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:03 am

I am slightly surprised he has admitted it, but then the evidence is there on screen so I suppose its hard for even him to refute it any more. He doesnt need the Tolkien or the book fans any more so he is not longer pretending to care what we think.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

PJ admits he's not actually making The Hobbit Empty Re: PJ admits he's not actually making The Hobbit

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:05 am

I'm not sure if he was just feeling a bit out of it (he did look pretty tired, which I'm sure the press junket will do to anyone) or if he was just tired of pretending otherwise.  But he really leaves no room for disagreement: "That's what I am doing and that's the reason why I am doing it". Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:07 am

He might as well have called it LotR: The Prequel Trilogy  Rolling Eyes
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:27 am

Just a reminder, I called this in February 2009 ... and was roundly flamed for it. Smugdog

http://eldorion.com/tolkienpurism/hobbitchanges/prediction/

PJ basically just ended one of the longest running debates in Tolkien fandom, at least as far as The Hobbit is concerned. My mind is still a little blown that he this blatant in his words.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:28 am

It's a story that needed to be told Rolling Eyes
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:09 am

Hence why he should NOT have made these movies. Produce it? Sure. But he should have hired a brand new team of writers and directors that actually felt like they could adapt the children's story as is. It all comes down to ego and pride.

PJ admits he's not actually making The Hobbit Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:14 am

That is a lame excuse for what he's done.  I can understand changing the tone of the book from being a children's story and making it conform more to the Middle Earth shown in the LOTR movies...dwarves don't have the colorful tunics, etc.  I get that.  It had to be done.  He didn't have to screw up the story though.  He didn't have to add orcs where there were no orcs.  He didn't have to resurrect a dead orc to be the primary antagonist.  He didn't have to change how things went down with the trolls (an iconic part of the story).  He didn't have to put a love triangle in it.  He didn't have to put the 9 in tombs they would have never had.  While we are talking about diverging from a children's bedtime story, Radagast's team of bunnies sounds like something out of a children's story (something sillier than Tolkien, but a children's story for sure) so why add it?  He didn't have to make the dwarves so stupid as to try to encase Smaug in molten gold (that too sounds silly enough for a children's story).

Beleg
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:37 am

Right from the horse's mouth. It's like someone slipped him a truth serum!

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if this is being discussed on torn at all...

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:51 am

That he gets the publication year of the book wrong is very telling, I think  Nod
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:22 am

Tinuviel wrote:Hence why he should NOT have made these movies. Produce it? Sure. But he should have hired a brand new team of writers and directors that actually felt like they could adapt the children's story as is. It all comes down to ego and pride.

I do really wonder what GDT's Hobbit would have been like. Based on the little bits of information that trickled out during his tenure, I think it would have been really weird and not very Tolkienish, but at least it would have been more original and creative than what we've been seeing. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:23 am

There are no Hobbit Films!
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:23 am

bungobaggins wrote:Right from the horse's mouth. It's like someone slipped him a truth serum!

Someone posted the interview on TORn and I pointed out the significance of PJ's one statement, but it hasn't sparked any discussion.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:25 am

Eldorion wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:Right from the horse's mouth. It's like someone slipped him a truth serum!

Someone posted the interview on TORn and I pointed out the significance of PJ's one statement, but it hasn't sparked any discussion.

I am not surprised.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:28 am

I'm totally going to pull this interview out in debates if the opportunity presents itself, though. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:30 am

Indeed Eldo, quite the powerful debate-silencer. Your own One Ring to end the babbling of the Council of Elrond that is fandom discussion.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:32 am

I don't expect it to work to silence debate, but it is a pretty convincing piece of ammunition. Between this and Boyens' recent comments about Tauriel and the love triangle, the Coven has been my strongest ally lately. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:35 am

I take quiet satisfaction that, no matter what the casual observer may believe, the phrase "PJ and Co." actually stands for "Peter Jackson and Coven." Razz

Edit: unless it never was meant to be PJ and Company, in which case the jokes on me big time.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:37 am

I've changed my avatar in order to display the amount of done-ness I feel for these people. It's just not right what they've done to something that is classic literature.

PJ admits he's not actually making The Hobbit Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:41 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:I take quiet satisfaction that, no matter what the casual observer may believe, the phrase "PJ and Co." actually stands for "Peter Jackson and Coven." Razz

Edit: unless it never was meant to be PJ and Company, in which case the jokes on me big time.

{{{I had always used it as an abbreviation for PJ and Company, but now I wish that I'd thought of the secret Coven abbreviation myself. Razz}}}

Tinuviel wrote:I've changed my avatar in order to display the amount of done-ness I feel for these people. It's just not right what they've done to something that is classic literature.

You tell 'em, Your Maj!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 am

I like the new avatar Tin  Thumbs Up 

At least now Peter Jackson is admitting that he isn't making an adaptation of the Hobbit and just making up his own prequel to LOTR... Something that still irks me.... Thank god I ain't payin to see it.

Here's to you Pete...   F You
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Eldorion wrote:Just a reminder, I called this in February 2009 ... and was roundly flamed for it. Smugdog

http://eldorion.com/tolkienpurism/hobbitchanges/prediction/.

Great essay, Eldo, and in hindsight very (and sadly) accurate on several points you made Sad

Reading that interview makes me so /&#)(!&/)¤! angry at Jackson. That he admits it makes it ten times worse. If he had made an honest attempt at adapting the books faithfully, but just f***ed up majorly... that would've been ok in five years, and when the disappointment had died down a little I would have been able to forgive him his mistakes and accept that the Hobbit films will never be what LotR was. But now - I feel like he's ripping pages out of the Hobbit book, rolling one of them into a blowpipe and using it to spit the rest of the torn and curled up pages at my face. !"#% you, Peter Jackson.

PJ admits he's not actually making The Hobbit Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:05 pm

I feel like he's using the torn up pages as toilet paper.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:13 pm

I think I would have been willing to give it a try if GDT was still director and there were only two movies. But once PJ was announced as director, I immediately lost interest.

I did see AUJ, of course, but didn't pay to see it and it was the first factor in my intent to avoid the others.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

PJ admits he's not actually making The Hobbit WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 pm

It would have been nice to see a new and fresh take on Middle-earth.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next