halfwise
Bluebottle
Eldorion
17 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Empty Re: Game of Thrones [2]

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Funny how background guides interpretation. Given the scale of Westeros, I always read it as north and south America.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:16 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Well, I was reading a bit about something GoT related, and I came across a comment that back in Season 3 Sansa didn't know what the crude word for dung was (shite). 

In that scene with Tyrion where she talks about "sheep-shift" I had always thought that "shift" was an old word for sheep droppings. Apparently, she just said "shift" instead of "shit". 

I don't know whether I'm smarter or dumber than the average viewer for whom, apparently, this was meant to be obvious.

Anyway, I just got back from watching episode 6. I liked this episode probably the most this season, thus far, because I was reminded of the things about the show that I like.
Spoiler:

I've been trying to place, for quite a long time, why it is that I don't like Danaery's dragons. I realized today that that reason was because they are really gross. I mean, there have been a lot of depictions of dragons over the centuries. Everything from odd creeping beasts:

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 SanJorge

to beautiful creatures like this one:
Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 9499093e9be8a0cc3ea69671792299a4

I understand that the showrunners want to set these dragons apart from the others that we have seen over the years. But by my foot, they are just so flipping ugly:

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Latest?cb=20140407194747

Like, bugger off you you hideous poop-monster, kind of ugly.

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Dragon-wink-final

Blech. 

Reminds me of the diarrhea-snake from Ragnarok more than anything else:

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Ragnarok_by_rattlerjones-d8om43q

And that shot inside it's mouth this episode?
Spoiler:

Perhaps it's part of the show's "realisticness" that its [fantasy] dragons have to be ugly and smelly. But I don't like it, either way.

I appreciated your interpretation of the artistic depictions of dragons and I have to agree with you that Danys dragons are ugly brutes in comparison with the lovely and elegant white creature you posted. Obviously Danys dragons are not as aesthetically pleasing, but I like them because they look so dangerous and brutal, after all these are creatures that can destroy whole cities and devour men whole, if the dragons were elegant and cute like say the dragon in Dragonheart, you couldn't imagine them being vicious and well, animalistic. I like their bestiality and harshness, their skin reminds me of the Iron Throne itself, sharp daggers of adamant. I think real dragons would look like this, kind of T-Rex red in tooth and claw, but they have this contrast between such dangerousness and this strange bond of love with Dany which makes it all the more awe inspiring when they do occasionally act gently. That ending scene with Dany and Drogan was freeking awesome. Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:07 pm

It's nice to see a video/webpage in general about drawing parallels between GOT and RL that acknowledges that there are more than just 1:1 correspondences. Razz That said, the Westeros:Essos::Britain:Europe inspiration is basically confirmed by GRRM.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Geography

You get plenty more parallels with the history. Targaryens:Normans, Seven Kingdoms:Heptarchy, Andals:Anglo-Saxons (though the Andals brought the Faith with them rather than being converted post-conquest), etc.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:11 pm

halfwise wrote:Funny how background guides interpretation.  Given the scale of Westeros, I always read it as north and south America.

I can see that I suppose. I guess the Wall was always so reminiscent of Hadrian's Wall for me (deliberately so IIRC) that I ran from there. The South = Southern England, the North = Northern England, Beyond the Wall = Scotland in the time of the Picts or something. Razz Some people say the North = Scotland and I can kinda see that but less so.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:37 am

Apparently the dialogue coaches, or writers, or directors, or casting people, Whomever it is that handles that sort of thing, seems to think that parts of the North are basically Scotland, what with that Lord Umber's accent.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:43 am

Mrs Figg wrote:I appreciated your interpretation of the artistic depictions of dragons and I have to agree with you that Danys dragons are ugly brutes in comparison with the lovely and elegant white creature you posted. Obviously Danys dragons are not as aesthetically pleasing, but I like them because they look so dangerous and brutal, after all these are creatures that can destroy whole cities and devour men whole, if the dragons were elegant and cute like say the dragon in Dragonheart, you couldn't imagine them being vicious and well, animalistic. I like their bestiality and harshness, their skin reminds me of the Iron Throne itself, sharp daggers of adamant. I think real dragons would look like this, kind of T-Rex red in tooth and claw, but they have this contrast between such dangerousness and this strange bond of love with Dany which makes it all the more awe inspiring when they do occasionally act gently. That ending scene with Dany and Drogan was freeking awesome. Razz

I will argue to death the idea that dragons would look this way "if they were real". But I agree about the general point that these dragons are meant to look like dangerous, unfriendly bests.

Their ugliness and rapidly-increasing size makes them feel more like general threats against humanity than creatures that Danaerys can use to conquer Westeros. I don't know if she can really control them, and I'm kind of worried about the question of feeding them. I mean, how many whales per year is thing going to be eating within a couple years?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:15 pm

hey at least they are more scary and dangerous than Smaug. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:22 am

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 16%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:56 am

Laughing

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:41 am

Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Tumblr_inline_o7ufzrfP2Q1se7pqt_500

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:46 am

Really looking forward to next weeks episode.

Last edited by chris63 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:22 pm

me too! Razz

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:24 pm

I got around to watching Episode 7 last night. Several things were rather frustrating, but I liked the new faces on the show. Even though at least one of those new faces was short-lived, I enjoyed seeing some of the Northern Lords and, of course, the fellow who a certain wood-chopping person talked to about values for a while. 

I do think it's idiotic that a show that's set in a quasi-medieval fantasy setting somehow thinks that a religious figure can't be related to by the audience unless they have this post-modern disillusionment with the entire idea of religion. Hey, how about this, how about we suspend our disbelief for a moment and actually make it so that a flippin' priest of the Seven actually believes in the Seven?? Wouldn't that be a blast! Fuckin' snowflake bullshit. Mad

Whatever, not too big of a deal. It was far more disturbing that he was Olly'd right away.

I liked seeing the windmill or whatever being built. It's always fun to see attempts at historical reconstruction on tv or in movies. 

I do think the location was shite, down in that valley, but perhaps there's something particular about the weather there and the valley works as a wind-tunnel or something.

Margaery is a doofus, and Septa Spoonbutt can go bugger themselves.

And I totally thought Arya was going to die. That scene evoked some traumatic memories for me, of a certain mother-to-be being stabbed to death in the stomach back in Season 3. Something was about that scene: who the fuck just watches as some moderately-well-dressed girl in pants (trousers) makes her way down the street with blood welling out of her stomach? 

And I think that she really shouldn't be moving about with that wound!! It can't be good, especially for stabs to the stomach.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:53 pm

''Margaery is a doofus, and Septa Spoonbutt can go bugger themselves.''

hey at least Septa Spoonbutt doesn't have ''post-modern disillusionment with the entire idea of religion'' she's a beeleever.

just sayin Wink

and yep the wood chopping chappie was cool. He is a very angry wood chopping chappie. pale

I am wondering how Arya is going to save herself, those Bravosi don't seem to understand she is bleeding out. No there are theories its not actually Arya but Jaqen in disguise testing the Waif, or the Waif doesn't actually exist and is a pigment of Aryas imagination. these theoriz Rolling Eyes Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Margery isn't a doofus. Tommen is and the sooner her gets castrated the better. I forsee Margery turning on the sparrow... possibly killing him but more likely getting caught and turning Tommen against her... and therein Lannister against Tyrell.

Arya, I think, has a part to play still. She won't die. I think she will ultimately kill Cersei.

And yes Figgy... pretty sure little finger will come and save the day. I think he still has a part to play in all this too... not sure what his ultimate angle is but he has been playing everyone since the start.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:16 pm

"and yep the wood chopping chappie was cool. He is a very angry wood chopping chappie. Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Icon_pale"
-Figgs

Why is he so angry? 

"

I am wondering how Arya is going to save herself, those Bravosi don't seem to understand she is bleeding out. Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Kopfschuettel there are theories its not actually Arya but Jaqen in disguise testing the Waif, or the Waif doesn't actually exist and is a pigment of Aryas imagination. these theoriz Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Icon_rolleyes Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Icon_razz

"
-Figgs

Yeah but those theories sound like utter nonsense. 

(I think you mean figment. Razz )

"Margery isn't a doofus."
-Lancebloke

Well, I think she is a doofus. She's actively working towards having the heir of her entire house disinherited. It doesn't matter if she's pretending or not: this is idiotic. Also, she's a doofus for thinking that a drawing of a rose is either meaningful or helpful.

"Tommen is and the sooner her gets castrated the better. I forsee Margery turning on the sparrow... possibly killing him but more likely getting caught and turning Tommen against her... and therein Lannister against Tyrell. "
-Lancebloke

Tommen is just a kid though. It seems like his family are the true idiots for allowing him to spend so much time around High Sparrow-tard. 

She's not helping her case very much, by helping to spread the High Sparrow's influence and power over the city. Honestly the more time that goes on without somebody manning up and running the High Sparrow out of the city, the more frustrated I become with the whole story.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:16 am

Forest - isn't the rose the symbol of house Tyrell? I saw that as showing where her allegiance lies and for her grandmother to get out while she can to fight another day. I think margery knows the score and is waiting for the right time so that she doesn't lose any of her family.

On the Tommen front, I agree. Cersei has made the situation what it is and is losing her family/power through her stupid actions. Sparrow has played them all very cutely and I don't believe his outward motives at all.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:40 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:"and yep the wood chopping chappie was cool. He is a very angry wood chopping chappie. Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Icon_pale"
-Figgs

Why is he so angry? 

Why? Because he saw a glimpse of redemption but had it snatched away at the last minute. He actually respected the man who saved his life and obviously became angry, who wouldn't?  No  The Hound isn't an evil person, he has done evil things, but deep down life has screwed his pooch, and I think he has a tiny bit of him which is more than capable of showing pity and compassion if he was allowed to heal. But he feels damned and lost. and very very angry.

"

I am wondering how Arya is going to save herself, those Bravosi don't seem to understand she is bleeding out. Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Kopfschuettel there are theories its not actually Arya but Jaqen in disguise testing the Waif, or the Waif doesn't actually exist and is a pigment of Aryas imagination. these theoriz Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Icon_rolleyes Game of Thrones [2] - Page 38 Icon_razz

"
-Figgs

Yeah but those theories sound like utter nonsense. 

lets wait and see. There was something strange about Arya wandering without a care in the world round Bravos. last time we saw her she was in hiding because.. you know.. killer Waif.

(I think you mean figment. Razz )

"Margery isn't a doofus."
-Lancebloke

Well, I think she is a doofus. She's actively working towards having the heir of her entire house disinherited. It doesn't matter if she's pretending or not: this is idiotic. Also, she's a doofus for thinking that a drawing of a rose is either meaningful or helpful.

Margaery is a very clever woman, she is totally playing the High Sparrow because she knows that her brother is in dire danger and incapable mentally of being strong enough to fight. Loras was a gibbering mess, so Marge took on the responsibility herself to save the Tyrells from extinction. She saw that fighting the HS head on isn't going to work because he holds all the cards, so she uses the same weapons he does, using religion to manipulate and rule. Marge is 100 times cleverer than Cercei. marge drawing the Rose told her grandmother that its game on, that she hasn't gone mad and drank the Septa Bumfluff coolaid, it tells her grandmother she is acting the part and she is still a Tyrell.

"Tommen is and the sooner her gets castrated the better. I forsee Margery turning on the sparrow... possibly killing him but more likely getting caught and turning Tommen against her... and therein Lannister against Tyrell. "
-Lancebloke

I think Tommen will be killed but not by Marge. She needs him to keep her and Loras safe. She is playing the long game.

Tommen is just a kid though. It seems like his family are the true idiots for allowing him to spend so much time around High Sparrow-tard. 

She's not helping her case very much, by helping to spread the High Sparrow's influence and power over the city. Honestly the more time that goes on without somebody manning up and running the High Sparrow out of the city, the more frustrated I become with the whole story.

I think in the end Cercei will go apeshit and burn Kings Landing to the ground.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:49 pm

http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/145800647472/consent-does-not-really-exist-in-westeros-or

:facepalm:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:54 pm

oh please not the rape thing again. Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:01 pm

What? You want to eat your popcorn in peace without thinking about what you're watching? Rolling Eyes

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:06 pm

yes.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:58 pm