6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Eye - my own game Empty The Eye - my own game

Post by tsg Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:48 pm

Hello all!

I would like to present you my new upcoming android game: “The Eye”

The Eye - my own game Kvh8xg6

Download link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SomaLabs.TheEye

It will be an arcade game set in the fantasy world (so I decided to put it here). There is a greedy dragon sleeping on a piles of looted treasure and the hero, who will try to steal them (player takes the role of hero). However, this is not as simple as it seems to be. Huge chunks of rock will randomly drop at the hero’s head. Moreover, “The Eye” of dragon opens from time to time and the player has to hide before the dragon wakes up. To achieve a high score player needs good tactics and skills.

Official trailer:

Amateur sketch shown below will help you (or at least it will try) to imagine how the game will look like Wink.

The Eye - my own game Jmzv3PD

Final graphics will look more professional. Graphics should be ready in a few days, however, until they are not finished I will present the process of creating the game on such scribbles. Short video from the initial process of creating the game:

Do you like the idea? Would you like to play this kind of game? Or maybe you have an idea how to do it differently – better? Any suggestions and questions are welcome.
The game will be ready probably around December 13. Keep checking this topic if you are interested in the development process.

I sincerely hope that this is the right place to share my own creative work

Last edited by tsg on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

tsg
Shireling

Back to top Go down

The Eye - my own game Empty Re: The Eye - my own game

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:25 am

Hi TSG, welcome to Forumshire! This is indeed the appropriate sub-forum to share your own creations in. Smile I took some introductory programming classes a long time ago, but I was never good at doing stuff with graphics (though my best friend had a knack for it and created a bunch of games in BASIC that we used to kill time with. I was wondering; does the "Eye" mechanic occur in the same environment as in the sample video, and if so, what is there to hide behind?

It's cool that you're putting together a game like this, and I hope you'll share the finished version when it's ready.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by tsg Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Thank you for your comment Eldorion Smile. Hiding will be represented by animation - character graphic will become transparent.

With regards to the "Eye":
I added the animation of a titular eye today, but I am wondering what to do with it. There are two options:
1. The eye keeps opening randomly - the player must react accordingly quick.
2. The eye keeps opening as the dragon's anger increases gradually (there is a bar indicating anger levels) - the player has to hide in order for the dragon to fall asleep again.

What do you think about it?

tsg
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Smaug only ever suffered the loss of one of his pieces of treasure. After he discovered that he had been robbed he slept with one eye half-lidded, only pretending to slumber.

This sounds like a simpler and, obviously, game-like scenario however, and I think your idea of increasing rage at the loss of the dragon's treasure would be the most appropriate.

Edit:
This is nothing similar, but the phrase "my own game" reminded me of my own turn-based descriptive-type game that I have been running for a while on this forum. Like I said, it really has nothing to do with computer scripts or coding or whatever. Check it out if you want! Most of the pages are full of confusing babble, but the game itself is still in there somewhere.
And welcome to the forum.
http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t996-roll-to-dodge

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:53 am

Oh, so by hide, the Player puts the Ring on (or some similar invisibility mechanic)? Sounds cool. The Eye was definitely opening really frequently in the mock-up, but I get that it may be different in the finished game. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Welcome TSG.
Interesting idea.
Conceptually reminds me of the classic Geoff Crammond game The Sentinel.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by tsg Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:06 am

Thank you for your opinions.

Forest Shepherd: I decided to choose this option, but more on that below. Thank you for the link, I will definitely check it Smile.

Eldorion: Exactly something like this - I've been thinking about a cloak that the character would don in order to hide. The idea with the ring is also very good, but I'd prefer to utilize my own unique solution Razz.

Pettytyrant101: I'm glad you like it Smile.

I decided on an option where the eye keeps opening as the dragon's anger gradually increases, with the player having to hide in order to decrease the anger levels. This option allows to minimize the randomness of the gameplay.

And here is another video. The eye opens only when the dragon's anger bar is full. I think that I'll be able to add the ability to hide by tomorrow.

tsg
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:50 am

with the player having to hide in order to decrease the anger levels.- tsg

I am not sure this is enough, it will tend to run into the stealth game problem of you are spending game time doing nothing as all you are essentially doing is waiting for a bar to go back down.
Perhaps what you need is a reason to panic, panic is always a good thing to provoke in a player.

Perhaps when you are 'seen' you lose treasure until you can hide, lose all your treasure and game over, hide and then the dragon goes back to sleep but your treasure is still reduced.
This would give you a few handy game mechanics. First it generates the sense of panic as your treasure diminishes, secondly if you need x amount of treasure to progress to the next level it gives a stake to your hiding and treasure seeking, and thirdly it gives a reason beyond 'thats the game' for the player to really not want to be seen and lose treasure.

Just some thoughts.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by tsg Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Pettytyrant101: Your idea is very good, it could be an interesting solution. However, I would like to create a dynamic game, which will be very simple at the same time. Anger bar will decrease very quickly if you hide (not like in the video - it's just a prototype, I need to adjust all parameters). So at higher levels of the game it’s like: hide, dodge, hide, dodge,…try to grab the treasure…Smile.

And now the news:

As I promised yesterday, I added ability to hide, which will be used to decrease anger levels.

tsg
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by tsg Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Professional graphics of the titular "eye". How do you like it? Smile

The Eye - my own game Kvh8xg6

tsg
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:15 pm

I think that looks really cool! Smile Cheerleader

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:50 am

Very nice. Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Shaping up nicely tsg Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by tsg Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:38 pm

I'm glad you like it Smile

Today I made an animation of the eye. What do you think?

tsg
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:48 pm

I like the pulsing effect, gives it a sense of life it wouldn't have if it was static. Also creates a nice tension, like a clock ticking. Thumbs Up

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by tsg Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:11 pm

And here is animation of the character:

tsg
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:36 am

Coming along nicely tsg Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by tsg Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:53 pm

Short gameplay with new graphics Smile

tsg
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:23 pm

I dont 'play', never even tickled a 'One arm Bandit', mainly due to lack of interest, tho Ive done a bit of helping people out when they get stuck with puzzles in games,like, getting sequences in the right order to unlock gems & stuff, but, its looking interesting. Got any thoughts on how to take the game further ? as in, the goal, the end result & how to get there ?

The Eye - my own game Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Eye - my own game Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:46 am

Its looking good tsg, but I may be missing something- but what is it causes the eye to open? Is it just random, on a timer, or is it a result of something the player does?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:35 pm

As it stands right now, it seems that the eye will only open if that meter fills up (if the player gets greedy).
As a suggestion, it would be more worthwhile to have the demo videos contain the eye opening.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:05 pm

The meter fills up if you steal too much gold?
That seems a bit counter intuitive to me.
A player would more naturally assume the idea was to avoid the rocks, dont get seen and steal as much gold as possible.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by tsg Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:34 pm

azriel: It’s meant to be a simple “time-killer”, useful when one is on their way to work/uni or just has a free moment or a few. Gather X treasure = Get X points (and some coins), while surviving as long as possible in order to make the best score.

Forest Shepherd: Eye opens only when the bar is filled (and it’s game over).

Pettytyrant101: Dragon rage bar fills up slowly, no matter what you do.

The players has to move the treasure from the right side of the screen to the left, which awards points. The stones keep falling and need to be avoided. Additonally, one needs to hide now and then in order to decrease the dragon’s anger level (visible in the form of a bar that gradually fills up). All in all, a fairly repetitive activity where players can attempt to beat their current scores and compare the results with friends and other people from around the world.

I made menu prototype today:

The Eye - my own game CookedGreedyIberianbarbel

tsg
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by tsg Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Hello all!

I created a fanpage on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Eye-Android-Game/351672761680713

If you are interested in supporting the project, please ‘like’ and share with your friends Smile.

tsg
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Done.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next