bungobaggins
Eldorion
Tinuviel
Orwell
halfwise
26 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 2 Empty Re: Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies'

Post by Bluebottle Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Someone put these together.

The 144-minute running time showcases Jackson’s worst tendencies: eons-long battle scenes, sloppy and abrupt resolutions, portentous romances, off-rhythm comic timing, and, newly in this case, patience-testing fan service.
– Inkoo Kang, The Wrap

“So began a battle that none had expected,” wrote JRR Tolkien in the third-from-last chapter of The Hobbit. “And it was called The Battle of the Five Armies, and it was very terrible.” Peter Jackson’s expansion of this epochal but barely-described fracas, in his third and final film from this slim book, is neither very terrible nor remotely unexpected. It’s a series of stomping footnotes in search of a climax. [...]

The trouble is that Jackson can’t make it mean very much: when every life on Middle Earth is seemingly at stake, few individually grab our attention. There’s more aftermath than plot left, and very little of it has to do with Bilbo (Martin Freeman), who feels increasingly like a forlorn bystander in his own franchise.
– Tim Robey, The Telegraph

A fitting conclusion to Jackson’s prequel trilogy and a triumphant adieu to Middle-earth. Now complete, The Hobbit stands as a worthy successor to The Lord Of The Rings, albeit one that never quite emerges from its shadow.
– James Dyer, Empire Online

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies promises to be the New Zealand director’s final excursion into Tolkien territory, and for that some praise is due, for staying the course if nothing else. The first Lord of the Rings film, The Fellowship of the Ring, was released almost exactly 13 years ago, in 2001, and the six instalments of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies make up a remarkably homogenous body of work. Like Agatha Christie’s detective novels, there would appear little in the way of aesthetic – as opposed to technological – progression; having set the tone so definitively at the outset, each film delivered exactly what it promised.
– Andrew Pulver, The Guardian

After all the initial fuss and bother about the 3D and 48 frames-per-second images, Jackson and his visual team made the necessary technical adjustments to smooth things out, the result being a strong, robust looking, CGI-dominant film with great detailing and gargantuan imagery.
– Todd McCarthy, The Hollywood Reporter

So, a bit of a mixed bag. Certainly.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 2 Empty Re: Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies'

Post by chris63 Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:04 am

She makes it sounds pretty good.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:22 am

I can't believe it's still over a week before it's released in the USA.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:30 am

I'm feeling a little impatient. It's like ripping off a band-aid. Just do it already!

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:33 am

Got to wait till Boxing Day

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 2 Giphy

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:51 am

I'm not sure why you have to wait so long, Chris. I always thought it had something to do with New Zealanders hating Australia.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:31 am

For some reason Australia often has really long delays for movies. Shrugging

Also, the film comes out in some European territories tomorrow (including midnight/late PM showings in Norway, if I'm not mistaken), so we'll need a thread for impressions from forum members.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:05 am

Indeed we will! Norc's adorations of Thranduil forthcoming! Very Happy

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:52 am

Eldorion wrote:For some reason Australia often has really long delays for movies. Shrugging

Each theater... or 'dingo' as it is called by Australians... is delivered the films by faithful but underpaid wallabies.

And you can believe that because it's not from Wikipedia!
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:39 pm

So... When Australians say, "Dingo ate my baby!" They're really saying, "My child chose to follow a career in theatre!"

It all makes so much sense now.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:28 pm

Laughing

Spot on Forest! Or as the Germans say: spot on Wald!

a lot of Germans speak English
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:10 am

chris63 wrote:Got to wait till Boxing Day

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 2 Giphy

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You will just have to, Chris. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:10 am

Elthir wrote:Laughing

Spot on Forest! Or as the Germans say: spot on Wald!

a lot of Germans speak English

A lot of English speak German. Saucy Wink

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:38 pm

hey Sin hope you are doing ok. are you feeling better?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:hey Sin hope you are doing ok. are you feeling better?

I've got good days and bad days but overall I think its getting better. The meds kind of make me loopy and i sleep quite a but overall I'm getting better I walked 1 mile earlier today, was able to pick up a guitar for the first time in a month without it hurting my back. Just need to keepon pushing myself is all. Thanks for asking Figgs

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Sinister71 wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:hey Sin hope you are doing ok. are you feeling better?

I've got good days and bad days but overall I think its getting better. The meds kind of make me loopy and i sleep quite a but overall I'm getting better I walked 1 mile earlier today, was able to pick up a guitar for the first time in a month without it hurting my back. Just need to keepon pushing myself is all. Thanks for asking Figgs

Glad to hear you are getting better Sin pub

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Thumbs Up good to hear you are walking miles. that's pretty great.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Good to hear things are going the right way Sin- keep yer pecker up!

Watched the review of BoFA on the BBC Film 2014 show.

Three reviewers- one who thought it was ok, but wasn't exactly enthusing and two that really weren't impressed, some quotes-

"Its all over- are you relieved?"

"I am very relieved. Basically its one giant battle scene. Its a million dollar scrap in a car park...as a film lover I have always felt PJ was a very mixed bag, but he has always put on a good ruck. My great advantage in watching TH films is I have a life long indifference to Tolkien, I don't care how faithful these are to the books or otherwise."

(Other reviewer) "I am just really disappointed. I mean Jackson has been afforded the opportunity to tell this story beloved of millions of people around the world, and given the budget to do it, and he has said nothing with it.....the way PJ has constructed these films is a very bitty, piecemeal process....there is also a lot of toilet humour which Jackson loves worked into it, I mean the first line is a joke about constipation. And it means the film is tonally incoherent and it has no idea what it is trying to say or do."

Presenter- "Don't you get the feeling that Jacksons heart was not in this...for example the death scene of Boromir in FotR....that was a genuinely frightening and sad moment....there isn't a moment to compare with that is there?"

"The problem is the films have become completely lost in cgi...Legolas looks like someone has put a tunic  on a mini-milk icelolly, springing about these rocks like sonic the hedgehog. These are being treated like Jacksons own prequel to his lotR's film, not a Tolkien adaptation."

presenter- "I agree."

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:43 pm

I usually record the BBC Film show but I missed that ep, unusual to have three reviewers so critical, most of the reviews I have read are relatively positive.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:58 pm

One of them thought it was basically ok- like I said, he was hardly enthusing about it, but he seemed to enjoy it for what t was- the other two really were not favourable at all however.

The ep is on the iplayer.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:33 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Good to hear things are going the right way Sin- keep yer pecker up!
Shocked

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:32 am

''These are being treated like Jacksons own prequel to his lotR's film, not a Tolkien adaptation."

that in a nutshell is what its all about. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:51 am

Mrs Figg wrote:''These are being treated like Jacksons own prequel to his lotR's film, not a Tolkien adaptation."

that in a nutshell is what its all about.  No

It's too late. It's been too late for years now. There was no coming back from the inevitable course these films took, though it's funny how so many people hung on and continue to do so hoping for some kind of book-like payoff. The Hobbit movies that could have been never happened. And we don't even get a lazy semblance to the book in the film's closing, apparently.

So I figure one has two options. Ignore the final film (which is close to impossible, though would be a mark of strong character), or just go see it and get it over with, friends and popcorn bucket present. And then get drunk and talk about how awesome the films could have been.
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:56 am

This is completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but parzival, I have to say that the Smaug in your avatar looks like he's thinking "do you even lift, bro?" If his feet were touching he'd look just like that one kangaroo.

Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 2 PdNy1y3
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by parzival Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:21 am

Eldorion wrote:This is completely unrelated to the topic at hand, but parzival, I have to say that the Smaug in your avatar looks like he's thinking "do you even lift, bro?"  If his feet were touching he'd look just like that one kangaroo.
Critics review 'The Battle of the Five Armies' - Page 2 Bilbo
parzival
parzival
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next