The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful

+8
Forest Shepherd
Eldorion
Mrs Figg
Bluebottle
bungobaggins
Sinister71
Radaghast
Johnnyd
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful Empty The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful

Post by Johnnyd Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:50 am

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=787082;page=1;sb=post_time;so=DESC;mh=25;

Johnnyd
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful Empty Re: The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful

Post by Radaghast Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:33 am

"We even got Peter Jackson himself back!"

slap laugh

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful Empty Re: The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful

Post by Sinister71 Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:43 am

Good! I went through and read the thread. Still the same ol' people over there licking Peter Jackson's ass I see. The problem over at TORn is they get exclusives from WB and Jackson so they are always pro Hobbit and if people get too out of line or refuse to keep their post mild and take more shit than they give back they get banned. plain and simple. I got a lifetime ban on a first warning and when they drop the ban and I post general comments with NOTHING rude or demeaning in them I get banned again or the ban reinstated.. Damn didn't realize my opinion was to be feared that much slap laugh ... Oh well glad to see TORn never changes that's why i barely ever bother to read the message boards over there anymore which I can do when ever I want. I just choose to stay away from all the boot licking and negativity towards people who don't worship Peter Jackassson

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:48 am

I really can't be bothered to delve into any threads on torn anymore. I feel like I've seen it all.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Well, it's hard to be grateful if you feel someone is not only hurting the work and legacy of author in question, but are doing so with an astonishing lack of care and feeling for the original work. In that situation, feeling grateful you're getting a movie series isn't really at the forefront of your mind. I guess it's pretty much that simple. Shrugging

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:06 pm

slap laugh ye gods thats funny!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Well fortunately there are a few TORn members in that very thread who disagreed with the OP. But yeah, the attitude that fans should be grateful for any new installment in a franchise they like is one that pervades much of fandom in general. I've always found it to be somewhat unhealthy, or at the very least, counter-productive.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:20 pm

<deleted>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:50 pm

The films IMHO are more about Sauron and the ring than they are about Bilbo anymore.Way more than is really needed. I mean Bilbo is barely visible in a great many scenes of the films so far, his character arc from the book has been severely altered in the films, the emphasis in every scene with the ring is clearly on the ring with the music down to the focus of the scene pinpointing on it. Then you get all the made up Azog content which has no basis in Tolkien at all with the music resembling the Mordor theme, just to remind us who Azog works for. Which turns out to be a giant, dark dust ball floating around DolGuldur. Who ends up whooping Gandalf's butt. Still no Tolkien in these characters yet by the way. Then we get dwarfs fighting with Smaug with little jars of gunpowder, which from my take on it, does nothing more than piss the dragon off. Lets see then we melt a bunch of gold to form a statue which melts all over the dragon pissing it off even more.

I really don't think Jackasson tried to please fans of the rings films at all. He filled these films with his own vanity. Because he knew it was his last hurrah into middle earth. Why not make up a bunch of stuff and make the film about what HE wants to see rather what the fans want... Course then again you have so many fanboys /girls (like the majority of TORn) out there that Jackasson can do no wrong. So why not swing for the fence. Instead of making films that are consistent with his own LOTR trilogy he has given us OTT nonsense which resembles every generic D&D picture made. Something original would have been sticking to the story and making a film that fans of the source material want.

Oh well someone will remake these someday (hopefully in my lifetime) and hopefully do the source material justice.

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Ehh, people at TOrn seem to be more optimistic anyway (that's not a bad thing), and I'm not going to get too worked up about it if they see things differently, but I do find the notion we should be grateful for everything we've got kinda hard to pin down my thoughts on, whilst The Hobbit movies may not be the ones alot of us wanted (or were expecting), I do still respect Jackson for the amount of work he put into a rather chaotic production, I don't agree with alot of his decisions, and to be honest I'm not sure if I'd be that upset if the hobbit films never happened...but at the end of the day he has firmly stamped his mark on Middle Earth with a vision that has lots of people talking, I for one probably wouldn't have got interested in Tolkien if it weren't for the LOTR trilogy, the movies are popular, and they have made Tolkien more popular time will tell if the damage done was worth it. At least people actually care enough about the movies to talk about them so much.

*I did find the references to Tolkien's quickly aborted 1960 rewrite rather nauseating, the idea of Jackson 'finishing the job' on a rewrite Tolkien privately and shortly contemplated is one I simply don't agree with, given all we know of his own opinions on adaptation, and the circumstances surrounding this text.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:46 pm

malickfan wrote:*I did find the references to Tolkien's quickly aborted 1960 rewrite rather nauseating, the idea of Jackson 'finishing the job' on a rewrite Tolkien privately and shortly contemplated is one I simply don't agree with, given all we know of his own opinions on adaptation, and the circumstances surrounding this text.

And it doens't help that Jacksons alterations and additions have no basis in the 1960 Hobbit rewrite either..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:49 pm

malickfan wrote:Ehh, people at TOrn seem to be more optimistic anyway (that's not a bad thing), and I'm not going to get too worked up about it if they see things differently, but I do find the notion we should be grateful for everything we've got kinda hard to pin down my thoughts on, whilst The Hobbit movies may not be the ones alot of us wanted (or were expecting), I do still respect Jackson for the amount of work he put into a rather chaotic production, I don't agree with alot of his decisions, and to be honest I'm not sure if I'd be that upset if the hobbit films never happened...but at the end of the day he has firmly stamped his mark on Middle Earth with a vision that has lots of people talking, I for one probably wouldn't have got interested in Tolkien if it weren't for the LOTR trilogy, the movies are popular, and they have made Tolkien more popular time will tell if the damage done was worth it. At least people actually care enough about the movies to talk about them so much.

*I did find the references to Tolkien's quickly aborted 1960 rewrite rather nauseating, the idea of Jackson 'finishing the job' on a rewrite Tolkien privately and shortly contemplated is one I simply don't agree with, given all we know of his own opinions on adaptation, and the circumstances surrounding this text.

I agree he should get props for all the hard work he has done. i know the amount of work isn't easy. I mean he is a film maker and who could blame him for making a third, granted I think its all about profit since 1/3 of the hobbit films is made up rubbish, but that is only opinion. I really love the behind the scenes stuff on both EE films actually more so than the actual films themselves. So I can give him props for his hard work and running the ship. Probably nothing else but I can give him that.
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
malickfan wrote:*I did find the references to Tolkien's quickly aborted 1960 rewrite rather nauseating, the idea of Jackson 'finishing the job' on a rewrite Tolkien privately and shortly contemplated is one I simply don't agree with, given all we know of his own opinions on adaptation, and the circumstances surrounding this text.

And it doens't help that Jacksons alterations and additions have no basis in the 1960 Hobbit rewrite either..

The 1960 rewrite is blown well out of proportion, sure it features more descriptive prose, less narration and greater references to the wider mythology and geography of LOTR, but it still features the Dwarves being bumbling idiots who gate crash things with a noisy party, a talking purse, and cockney talking trolls, there really is too little of it to come to any real conclusion, it was an experiment, Tolkien attempted fruitlessly in old age, if my memory is correct he didn't even how the 1960's drafts to hand when he reedited The Hobbit in 1966. He may not have been happy with The Hobbit as it stands, but assumptions and hints elsewhere aren't really (imo) a good enough excuse to treat these films as finishing Tolkien's work, not least becuase I doubt he would have been overly pleased with them...

If it was so important, why wasn't it published by Christopher Tolkien? And why was it left to the 2000's? Hardly something to get that worked up about...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:57 pm

And no Azog.. And no bunny sled.. And no..

One could probably go on like that for a while. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Bluebottle wrote:And no Azog.. And no bunny sled.. And no..

One could probably go on like that for a while. Razz

a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG while I'm sure Twisted Evil
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:03 pm

<deleted>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Didnt snow in the Hobbit did it. I dont suppose they bothered with Christmas either ? Didnt hear anyone say " Oooh, its my birthday next week". I think Hobbiton, Bag End, The whole Shire would look lovely dusted in clean white snow, They could build Snow Orcs or Snow Trolls Very Happy

The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:28 pm

What sort of new, unexplored thoughts do you think we should be discussing, Forest?  I agree that these debates can grow stale after a while, but I think we've already looked at the films from a multitude of different angles over the past several years.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:29 pm

azriel wrote:Didnt snow in the Hobbit did it. I dont suppose they bothered with Christmas either ? Didnt hear anyone say " Oooh, its my birthday next week". I think Hobbiton, Bag End, The whole Shire would look  lovely dusted in clean white snow, They could build Snow Orcs or Snow Trolls Very Happy

That would be cool. As gorgeous as the Shire looks in its spring/summer glory, it would be neat to see it in autumn or winter. Although now I wonder how much it even snows in Matamata where the outdoor locations for Hobbiton are.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:47 pm

Very Happy I can visualize pretty little fairy lights strung up every where & the Green Dragon's door open with golden light pouring out & loud, happy singing. Dark evening sky & moonlight. am I going nuts but, didnt I read that Hobbits gave away presents when it was their birthday ? instead of receiving them ? Cor, imagine Christmas then ! Right chaos Laughing

The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Well if you're quick on the pause button you see the Shire under snow in the Bakshi version during the '17 years passed sleepily in the Shire' bit.

Although he over does it a bit, as I seem to recall Sam in the snow on Caradhras mentioning the snow would be welcome in the Shire, as it doesnt often lie there except on the downs.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well if you're quick on the pause button you see the Shire under snow in the Bakshi version during the '17 years passed sleepily in the Shire' bit.

I always thought it was ironic that Bakshi's visual representation of "sleepy" was a seizure-inducing series of still images flashing by in about three seconds.

Although he over does it a bit, as I seem to recall Sam in the snow on Caradhras mentioning the snow would be welcome in the Shire, as it doesnt often lie there except on the downs.

Ooh, good catch, there. Smile Edit: Just checked and it says that a "heavy fall" was rare except on "the high moors of the Northfarthing".

Last edited by Eldorion on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:53 pm

Didn't wolves attack over the frozen Brandywine the last time they had a proper winter though? pale

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:52 pm

The one ring members angry at people for not liking the hobbit and being ungrateful Cybermen___delete___campaign_by_degaspiv-d33hjoa

<deleted>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:23 pm

God I'm just so sick of this. I can't take it anymore. I'm done.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next