azriel
Bluebottle
Ringdrotten
RA
Norc
23 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2]

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:49 am

The LOTR forum is one of the categories that the site is broken into. It's linked from the main page, along with all of the other subforums (The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion and Beyond, etc.). Once you click on one of those links, you can see all the threads within that subforum. Or just click the link below. Smile

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t934-questions-and-answers
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2]

Post by Arwen_Evenstar Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:50 am

Thanks a lot.. I'll definitely check it out. Smile

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tower high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Arwen_Evenstar
Arwen_Evenstar
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:50 am

Wave 

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] - Page 2 Funny_bear

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 am

Wave 
It's so cool when new people show up. We don't bite... people other than Jackson  Nod 
You'll do fine  Very Happy 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi Arwen_Evenstar welcome to Forumshire!  Wave 

Oh, how I envy you! I read LOTR after seeing the films, and whilst I love both (in different ways-though I'm not a big fan of The 'Hobbit' films personally) I never quite been able to retain my own imagery...

Feel free to share any thoughts, or ask any questions you have on the books or films, we might not always have the answers but it's certainly interesting trying to find them.

Glad to see new faces (and fans) around here, hope you have alot of fun!

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenelm Sat May 03, 2014 4:17 pm

Eldorion wrote:
How did you first come across Tolkien?
What do you think of the movies?
How did you pick your username?
How did you find Forumshire?

Hi everyone, I'm new here so here is my introduction.

I can't really remember when I first heard of Tolkien, he has always been a part of where I grew up, and still live, which is a ten-minute walk from his childhood home in Sarehole.

I really liked the Lord of the Rings films. As for the Hobbit, I've only seen the second one, and wasn't half so impressed as with the first trilogy.

Kenelm was a member of the royal family of Mercia, the kingdom that Tolkien based Rohan on.

A Google search.

Kenelm
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat May 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi Kenelm, and welcome to Forumshire! Have you visited many of the Tolkien-related landmarks in the Birmingham area? I'm from the States, but it's been a dream of mine to visit England for some time, and there a bunch of Tolkien places I'd love to visit (more of them in Oxford, but Birmingham too). Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Welcome, welcome Kenelm to Forumshire. I hope you enjoy your time here- just jump on into the fun and madness (its the best way) and I am sure you will find a warm welcome from all (even the Oz hobbits!  Very Happy  )

I've often wondered what Tolkien's part of England is now like (really like, as in from the pov of someone who actually lives there and knows not some stuffy academic who is passing through for a thesis  Mad ) - you would be the ideal person to tell us.  Nod 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenelm Sat May 03, 2014 4:50 pm

Eldorion wrote:Hi Kenelm, and welcome to Forumshire!  Have you visited many of the Tolkien-related landmarks in the Birmingham area?  I'm from the States, but it's been a dream of mine to visit England for some time, and there a bunch of Tolkien places I'd love to visit (more of them in Oxford, but Birmingham too). Smile

Hi, and thank you! I've visited pretty well all of the Tolkien-related landmarks in Birmingham, and indeed, even disagree with some of the "official line" on what inspired him. For example, why is the following never mentioned as a possible tower inspiration?

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] - Page 2 Tower-at-Night

It's the tower of Spring Hill College, just up the road from Tolkien in Sarehole, which he visited for a large garden party celebrating Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

Kenelm
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat May 03, 2014 4:50 pm

hello kenelm Wave welcome Very Happy hope we're not too crazy for you Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun May 04, 2014 10:53 pm

I have split the very interesting discussion that resulted from Kenelm's introduction and website into its own thread so it can continue to grow (and be found more easily in the future). Smile

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t966-middle-earth-and-the-modern-era
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 04, 2014 10:59 pm

Eldorion wrote:I have split the very interesting discussion that resulted from Kenelm's introduction and website into its own thread so it can continue to grow (and be found more easily in the future). Smile

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t966-middle-earth-and-the-modern-era

well this just means I will never find it again  Shrugging 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun May 04, 2014 11:11 pm

The link to the new thread is right there in the post you quoted. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 04, 2014 11:12 pm

affraid 

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Sun May 04, 2014 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun May 04, 2014 11:13 pm

Kissing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun May 04, 2014 11:16 pm

:brows: 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 05, 2014 12:28 am

Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 05, 2014 3:02 am

Twisted Evil 
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon May 05, 2014 11:27 am

elephant 

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 05, 2014 5:58 pm

Shocked 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon May 05, 2014 6:22 pm

Laughing

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:31 pm

no newbies in how long?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by huffjuff Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Heylo.
I am me. I play the euphonium in a couple of bands and I do some singing. (Get educated. Everyone should know what a euphonium is  :prof: )

My first encounter with Tolkien was when my father read to me when I were younger. Now I am struck with the whole Tolkien dilemma. I just got the books in english, so I am thrilled and can't wait to get going with them.

The movies are OK. First time I watch a movie, I always listen to the music and watch for bad plots. I love the way Shore made the music.
"Huff" is something most people understand. "Juff" is a short version of euphonium in my motherlanguage.

Norc put a gun to my head and made me come here! She is craaaayzy!!! Hurr durr
huffjuff
huffjuff
Ringwinner

https://andreashustadphotography.myportfolio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:36 pm

I AM NOT!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:40 pm

Euphonium was MY first instrument. It's a very select group of people who have absolutely no illusions about their place in the world.

Unlike, say, viola players.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next