azriel
Bluebottle
Ringdrotten
RA
Norc
23 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] Empty Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2]

Post by Norc Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Continued from: http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t197p990-welcome-and-introductions-newbies-please

Eldorion wrote:Hullo, and welcome to Forumshire, the Hobbit Movie Forum for free spirits and everyone else who likes a laid-back, relaxed good time! cheers We're a close-knit community but everyone here started off new at one point and was welcomed in, and we continue to pride ourselves on that welcoming atmosphere.  While we are mostly rules-free, we do have a few guidelines in place, so please take a moment to look over the dead easy rules.

Please feel free to post here (or make your own thread in the Off-Topic forum) to tell us a little bit about you so we can get to know each other.  Of course, be smart about posting personally identifiable information on the Internet, here included.  If you like, you can get started with the following template, or just say whatever you like. Smile Again, welcome!

How did you first come across Tolkien?
What do you think of the movies?  We've got both purists and lovers of the films here. Smile
How did you pick your username?  Does it have any meaning?
How did you find Forumshire?  Search engine, referral, or something else entirely? Very Happy

----------

oh. is it that late O_O
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2]

Post by RA Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Murrica!  Metal 

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2]

Post by Norc Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:15 pm

F You i can open my christmas presents before u .
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:03 am

That's a win, Norc Nod You Americans and Brits with your Christmas day.. don't you know that day's not for presents, but for earning lots of cash? Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] T3904

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:05 am

This earning lots of cash on Christmas day sounds interesting, Ringo.

I do wonder exactly how though. scratch 

By selling your Christmas presents to Americans and Brits on ebay? Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:12 am

Yep Blue ! And we are daft enough to do it !

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Working Wink Christmas day pays well Nod

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Ah, even in the military?

I remember I worked both Christmas eve and New years eve once. pale I thought that was a bit much, but still it's very well paid.

And then you can afford to take time off when everyone else is working, I guess. Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Goatee Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:53 am

I like it when everyone else is working.  Wink 

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Hold on! Gandalf's Goatee?- sig quote from Wisey banks? Whiff of PJ liberalism?
Are you a cut down Gandalf's Beard?! Shocked

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Goatee Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:33 am

Petty.... Petty... Petty... You will always be dear Petty... Wink 

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:44 am

Well given the price of buckie these days Im not cheap!  Mad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:56 am

Don't believe a word of it Goatee... Petty invented cheap.  Laughing 

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:29 am

Hey! Im not cheap, Im just, prudent.  Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Arwen_Evenstar Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi, everybody! Smile

I'm relatively new to the Tolkien world by all accounts. I got The Hobbit and LOTR (a set with all of them) for Christmas, and just last week finished ROTK. I laughed, I cried, but above all, I loved, and I knew that these books made me think about the world in a different way, no matter how dramatic that sounds. Smile

I'm probably one of the minority here, but I have NEVER seen the movies. It's not that I don't intend to, mind you. I just have this thing where I usually have to read the books before I see the movies, so that's what I did with LOTR. (However, I cheated on The Hobbit. I watched the first two movies before reading and enjoyed them immensely, but have watched them since reading and enjoyed them even more.) I look forward to watching the movies, and please, no spoilers! ;D

My username is because I find Arwen, and basically the entire Elvish race, very fascinating. I love her and Aragorn. (Strangely, though, she's not my favorite female character - that would have to go to Éowyn, and favorite male character is Sam. Very Happy)

Lastly, in my mourning/emotional trauma/elation/unexplainable emotion that I was feeling after finishing LOTR, I was looking up some questions I had.. And voila! Here I am. Smile

Thanks for reading, and I hope everybody has a great day! Smile

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tower high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Arwen_Evenstar
Arwen_Evenstar
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Welcome to Forumshire Arwen.

I am heartened to hear you read LotR's before seeing the films, I am not the films biggest fan and I am delighted when people get Tolkien's version in their heads before any others. It really is the superior version.

But you will find folks who love the films here too (despite doing my best to enlighten them  Mad ) so I hope you stay around and join in the madness.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:24 pm

Arwen_Evenstar wrote: I just have this thing where I usually have to read the books before I see the movies, so that's what I did with LOTR.

I'm doing the same with Game of Thrones now - reading the books, then watching the series Smile If you liked AUJ and DOS after reading the Hobbit, I'm sure you'll fall in love with the LotR trilogy Very Happy Welcome aboard, Arwen, and happy posting! Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Hey Arwen ^^ welcome here Smile i did the same as you did, read the books before i saw the movies, that's the best way to enjoy tolkien in my opinion Nod
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Hiya,  Wave Absolutely, You've got to read before you weep  Very Happy

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) [2] Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:48 pm

Arwen_Evenstar wrote:Hi, everybody! Smile

Lastly, in my mourning/emotional trauma/elation/unexplainable emotion that I was feeling after finishing LOTR, I was looking up some questions I had.. And voila! Here I am. Smile

Thanks for reading, and I hope everybody has a great day! Smile

Hi Arwen!  Wave  I suspect you'll fit right in here.

What were the questions?  bounce 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:28 am

Hi Arwen, I'm glad you found us and decided to join. Very Happy I too read the books before seeing the movies.  In my case that was partially because I wasn't allowed to see the films when they were first coming out due to my age. Razz I am a big fan of the LOTR films (though not so much The Hobbit), despite some reservations about the changes they made.  I hope you'll share your thoughts on both the books and the films with us.  It's been so long since I first saw experienced either that I don't recall all of my thoughts and feelings at the time, and it's cool to see what other people make of the stories. Smile

Last edited by Eldorion on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:29 am

Welcome Arwen! Wave 
As others have said, your questions are welcome.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Arwen_Evenstar Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:31 am

Thanks for all the welcomes, you guys! You sure know how to make a girl feel loved! Smile I feel like I fit in here already! Very Happy

And as for my questions (feel free to reference me to another thread, of necessary) -
1) Were Gimli and Legolas gay?
2) Did Frodo metaphorically die at the end of ROTK? Did he literally die?
3) Why didn't Arwen and Aragorn go to the Grey Havens as well?
(Excuse me if they're actually very simple questions. My brain is a piece of work, I'm telling you.)

Thank you! Smile

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tower high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Arwen_Evenstar
Arwen_Evenstar
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:33 am

I will answer your questions over in the LOTR forum, mainly because that one could use a little love right now. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Arwen_Evenstar Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:34 am

Thanks!! Smile Is the thread called LOTR forum? O_o (I'm new at this. In case you couldn't tell. xD)

Arwen_Evenstar
Arwen_Evenstar
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next