Amarië
Mrs Figg
Eldorion
20 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 11 Empty Re: Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:14 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Winter is Coming. That is all that needs to be said.

Winter? its nice and warm here.

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 11 Game-of-thrones-burn-baby-burn_zpscc50f772
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:01 pm

It won't be soon.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Eldorion wrote:
IIRC, Martin has said that he doesn't write gay male sex scenes because that's outside the realm of his experience and he's not sure how to write one.

So his realm of experience does include decapitations and eviscerations?  Shocked 

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Doesn't everybody Dave?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:33 pm

talking of eviscerations, when everybody has seen all 4 seasons can we have a top 5 or 10 favorite moments or scenes from the show? I kinda know what mine are, but it would be interesting to know you guys faves.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:41 am

Top 5...let's see. I'll do top 5 from season 4, cuz I'm finding it hard to pick just 5 from all 4 seasons (and season 4 is pretty fresh in my mind).

1. Tyrion and Jaime discuss Orson Lannister and beetles.

Spoiler:

2. Tyrion demands trial by combat at King's Landing (the clip that got me interested in giving the show a second chance).

Spoiler:

3. Stannis the Mannis arrives at the Wall.

Spoiler:

4. White Walker brings Craster's son north.

Spoiler:

5. Joffrey bites the dust.

Spoiler:

Runner up: Arya and the Hound arrive at the Bloody Gate.

I'll have to think of a top 5 for seasons 1, 2, and 3.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:50 pm

hmmyeah..not in any order..

1. Tyrion and Jaime talk about beetles. brilliant acting
2. Brienne in the bear pit. epic
3. White walkers at end of season 3, Sam trying to hide. oooh scary
4. Bran and co find the Tree/three eyed Raven. beautiful imagery
5. Arya and the Hound roadtrip. all of it gold
6. Jaquen says goodbye to Arya. mysterious
7. Red Wedding. bloody hell! the quiet butchery
8. Dany becoming mother of Dragons. iconic moment
9. Dany becoming Mhyssa. moving music
10. Daario, Jorah and Greyworm fight. balletic yet ferocious

its hard, so many to choose from but these stick in my imagination most.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:59 am

Was rewatching season 1 with the audio commentaries the other day. Thought this opening with the Stark kids was hilarious. Laughing

Not sure if youtube will block it for copyright, so let me know if it doesn't play.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Just finished season 2. I really like what they've created so far, a worthy adaptation. Peter Jackson could learn a thing or two Mad Loved Pyat Pree and the House of the Undying, even though some changes were made here. I can see that the changes are becoming more apparaent in season 2, but overall I don't mind them. As opposed to the changes made in the Harry Potter films, most of the time there's an obvious explanation for why they've chosen to change or omit events in this show. The only thing I didn't like at all so far is how they handled the Jon Snow/Qhorin Halfhand thing. Jon actually killed the Halfhand in his fury, it was not a command he relucantly obeyed. Ruined the whole thing in my opinion. Still, I guess I should be glad that Lord Mormont is riding a bunny sled Laughing

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 11 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:39 pm

The changes get more pronounced in each season, at least so far, though season five is shaping up to be the most radical departure yet simply because they're combining AFFC and ADWD and (almost certainly) condensing so much. Also, earlier changes are having sometimes surprising impacts on the continuing story. Still, all in all I think it's been a fairly faithful adaptation, though sometimes the changes they make are much more far-reaching than it seems that the showrunners realize. For instance,

Season 4 spoiler:

So I am a little nervous about the rest of the series, especially once they pass the book series entirely (they're already basically at the end of several character's AFFC/ADWD arcs by the season four finale), but they have a pretty good track record so far so I'm fairly optimistic.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Glad to hear you're enjoyed the series, Ringo. Very Happy Particularily the first season, I always had a soft spot for it. Probably partly as it was the first thing I saw by George.  And while it clearly, as the first book, is the smallest in scope I always rather liked it. Sean Bean being a good part of the reason for that too. That was the role of his career, I think, and he only lasted a season. (A bit like Boromir really, and George always said Boromir was his favourite character from LotRs.)

As to your other point about Renly, I would agree he was one of the character who was majorly changed from the books, though not necessarily with regards to the Loras relationship. Though I missed his general sarcastic nature and humour more than anything else I think. Though he did get some good quips in.

"Born amidst salt and smoke? Is he a ham?" Laughing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Eldorion wrote:
halfwise wrote:The problem with looking things up in SOIF is that the chapter names aren't descriptive; you're basically thumbing through looking for a scene almost page by page.

Protip: the Westeros.org wiki has exhaustive chapter summaries (and cross-edition page numberings!) that make it way easier to look stuff up in the book. Thumbs Up

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters_Table_of_contents

Also in these cases it's often good to note that someoone else has probably already done the work for you.  Nod 

Here you go, Halfwise.

Are Loras and Renly Gay?

Throughout the series, the reader is given an outside look at the relationship between Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell. While, at first glance, it seems that it is nothing but innocuous friendship, there are some clues to suggest that their love for each other goes beyond mere companionship. In fact, it seems likely that the two men may be gay lovers. The evidence comes only in small bits and pieces, but, when pieced together, paints an interesting picture.

I. THOUGHTS ON RENLY

Lots of rumors seems to circulate around Westeros concerning Renly. Let’s take a look at a few.

1) Margaery’s Maidenhood

Renly’s own brother seems to doubt his sexuality. From CoK, pg. 478, a conversation between Renly and Stannis:

“...I got Margaery. You’ll be pleased to know she came to me a maid.”
“In your bed she’s like to die that way.”

This could be mindless sibling banter, but Stannis seems like an honest man, and his words imply that Renly is less than infatuated with women. Mace Tyrell swears the Margaery is still a virigin when she marries Joffrey, so it appears that Stannis was correct in this.

2) Renly’s Servants

Tyrion hires some of Renly’s old servants, in SoS, pg. 655

Varys had suggested the woman to him; in former days, she had run Lord Renly’s household in the city, which had given her a great deal of practice at being blind, deaf and mute.

What secret could Renly have that his servants must keep quiet about? There could be plenty of options, but homosexuality seems the most likely.

3) The Rainbow Guard

Instead of a standard Kingsguard, Renly decides to call his group the “Rainbow Guard.” Since in our world, rainbows are often a sign of homosexuality, this could be GRRM adding a little joke to imply that Renly is gay. Of course, it could just be coincidental.

4) Fashion Sense

Renly also has a reputation for being well into fashion and the best dressed man at court. (GoT, pg. 191) Since such fashion sense in a male is another sign of being gay in our world, this could be another clue put in to help point out Renly’s doubtful heterosexuality.

II. THOUGHTS ABOUT LORAS

If anything, Loras just as many rumors floating around about him as Renly, all of them pointing toward the fact that he might just be gay.

1) The Knight O’Pansies

On CoK, pg. 466, Chiswyck tells his friends a story of what Gregor did after he was defeated by Loras in the Hand’s Tourney. He mentions that Gregor was “brooding on the Knight o’ Pansies and that bugger’s trick he played.” On one hand, this seems to imply that there are well-known rumors that Loras is gay. On the other hand, of course Gregor would be upset that he was defeated, and want to believe such rumors.

2) Garlan’s Remarks

Like Renly, Loras also has his brother seemingly believing that he is gay. Garlan makes a strange remark to Sansa during her wedding:

“Loras is valiant and handsome and we all love him dearly...but your Imp will make a better husband.”
--SoS, pg. 322

Now Garlan is known to be chivalrous, and he could be simply trying to soothe Sansa over her forced marriage. But again, he seems to be implying that Loras would not make a good husband. Why?

3) The Kingsguard and Littlefinger’s Remarks

While on route to the Vale, Littlefinger explains some political things to Sansa. Among them, he mentions why Loras joined the Kingsguard:

“And it relieved him {Mace} of the difficult task of trying to find lands and a bride for a third son, never easy, and doubly difficult in Ser Loras’s case.”
--SoS, pg. 769

Of course, it does make sense to have a third son join the Kingsguard, saving the trouble of finding marriage arrangements for him. But Littlefinger’s line “doubly difficult in Ser Loras’s case” implies that there were more reasons. Why would finding marriage for Loras be more difficult? If he is gay, the problem is solved when he joins the Kingsguard, as the White Swords are sworn to chastity.

4) Loras and Sansa

When Loras speaks with Sansa on SoS, pg. 64, the conversation eventually comes around to Renly. Loras grows angry and sullen at Renly’s mention, and quickly changes the subject. Why? Perhaps Loras is just feeling the loss of a close friend...or perhaps it is the loss of a lover.

5) Robar Royce and Emmon Cuy

After Loras discovers that Renly is dead, he himself kills Ser Robar Royce and Ser Emmon Cuy, the two Rainbow Guard knights that swore to protect him. His wrath seems a bit much for the loss of a friend, implying that Renly meant something more to Loras.

III. RUMORS OF THE COUPLE

Just as rumours circulate around about each man individually, just as many get out about the pair, most of them implying a gay relationship.

1) The Feast at Bitterbridge

On CoK, pg. 348, Renly is feasting with his host at Bitterbridge. There, Catelyn notes that he pays little attention to his new bride Margaery, but instead spends his time laughing and joking with Loras. By all accounts, Margaery is very attractive, so why would Renly ignore her for Loras? It could be close friendship, or perhaps something more...

2) “Renly’s Little Rose”

Oberyn Martell has some choice words about Renly and Loras in his conversation with Tyrion on SoS, pg. 437

“There are those who say that Ser Loras is better than Leo Longthorn ever was,” said Tyrion.

“Renly’s little rose? I doubt that.”

Oberyn’s remark clearly shows that he, at least, believed there to be a gay relationship between the couple. Of course, he could only be going off false rumors, but combined with the other evidence, it seems unlikely.

3) Jaime’s Remarks

Jaime becomes angry at Loras when returning to King’s Landing, and adds to the rumors we know about Loras and Renly.

“Now sheathe your bloody sword, or I’ll take it from you and shove it up some place even Renly never found.”
--SoS, pg. 698

Another definite implication of a homosexual relationship between Loras and Renly. But again, perhaps Jaime is only referring to false rumors.

4) Loras’s Old Flame

On SoS, pg. 137, Tyrion has a conversation with Loras. The talking eventually comes around to why Loras would join the Kingsguard instead of getting married. Loras remarks that he once loved somebody but

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”

Now who is Loras’s old love and what happened to them? Certainly, there could be lovers in Loras’s past that we know nothing about, but Renly fits the description to a tee.

5) Loras’s Remarks on Renly

Loras has some choice words to say about Renly on SoS, pg. 759. After expressing extreme anger over Renly’s death, he goes on to say:

“I buried him with mine own hands, at a place he showed me once when I was a squire at Storm’s End. No one shall ever find him there to disturb his rest.” He looked at Jaime definatly. “I will defend King Tommen with all my strength, I swear it. I will give my life for his if need be. But I will never betray Renly, by word or deed. He was the king that should have been. He was the best of them.”

These emotional words imply that there was a romantic bond between Loras and Renly. The fact that Renly showed Loras secret places in Storm’s End suggests that they had a particularity close relationship.

6) “Praying”

It seems quite possible that Loras and Renly could have had a sexual encounter while praying the night before Renly’s death. As the night falls, Renly asks to see Loras alone.

“Loras, stay and help me pray. It’s been so long I’ve quite forgotten how.”
--CoK, pg. 483

By all accounts, they were alone all night, and Loras later refers to that night.

“We had...we had prayed together that night.”
--SoS, pg. 760

Notice that Loras hesitates before saying what he and Renly did together. Why the hesitation? Perhaps Loras was just flustered while thinking about his dead friend...or perhaps something else occurred that night besides praying.

Conclusion

In conclusion, it seems quite likely that there was a gay relationship between Loras and Renly. Numerous characters such as Chiswyck, Oberyn, Jaime, Tyrion and Littlefinger all seem to have heard rumors of the couple’s homosexuality. Even there own kin, Stannis and Garlan, seem to think that their brother might be gay. Coupled with Loras’s emotional feelings and words whenever he refers to Renly, it certainly seems extremely likely that he was gay lovers with Renly.
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchives/faq/lorasrenly.html

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:36 am

Bluebottle wrote:Though I missed his general sarcastic nature and humour more than anything else I think.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Renly was such a great character in the book, in the show he lacked a lot of what made him that in the book. I also wish they would've included the peach - a minor detail, perhaps, but now they won't be able to include the great scene (from the book) where Stannis can't forget about the peach his brother offered him.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:45 am

This is priceless lol!

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 11 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS87KY9v1Eu-y7WukI7Zo6LnBcz6bRFRnt2s2crD2-zix4oiumU

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:27 pm

If anything has surprised me in the show, it is how well the foreign languages work. When Emilia Clarke delivers long lines or even monologues in Dothraki or High Valyrian, it doesn't feel weird or false (as opposed to Azog's gibberish in TH), which is both very cool and very impressive. That, and it's quite hot drunken

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:42 pm

Nod

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 11 Giphy

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 11 Tumblr_inline_minklv2i5l1qz4rgp

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 11 Tumblr_m2l48nrEF81r9jx91_large

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 11 Giphy

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 11 Gf9NzO5

Game of Thrones -- TV ONLY - Page 11 LUVSkIZ

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:56 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Was rewatching season 1 with the audio commentaries the other day. Thought this opening with the Stark kids was hilarious. Laughing

Not sure if youtube will block it for copyright, so let me know if it doesn't play.

That was fricking adorable.  Kissing  I know they're all in their late teens now, but they are still kids.  I love you 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:26 pm

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:51 pm

are there lots of spoilers here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfgCpkHW1IE&list=UUS5C4dC1Vc3EzgeDO-Wu3Mg
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Norc wrote:are there lots of spoilers here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfgCpkHW1IE&list=UUS5C4dC1Vc3EzgeDO-Wu3Mg

No spoilers. Before they begin the Q&A they state that they will divulge no spoilers for the next season.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:29 pm

And for this season?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:31 pm

What? For season 4? The season that finished about a month ago?

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Yeah, they let slip that Arya dies when the ship she got on at the end of Season 4 sinks in the Narrow Sea.  Kind of a big goof on the panelists part since us book readers have been keeping that secret for years. Mad

Edit:
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:35 pm

Og FUCK it .. POILERsdnjgkf igjen kfkf. B
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi