Mrs Figg
Bluebottle
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
richardbrucebaxter
20 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

DoS extended edition recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: DoS extended edition recommendations

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:56 pm

He did the same with Viggo in the EE docs- in Rohan- the line he says to Theoden about war, PJ just got him to say it over and over, but without ever indicating how he would like it- just got Viggo to do it several waya and decided later in the editing room.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

DoS extended edition recommendations - Page 3 Empty Re: DoS extended edition recommendations

Post by Norc Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:38 am

it's not an enchanted river, it's an enchanted swamp.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:39 am

It does look more foul than enchanted.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:13 am

This might be old news by now, but Amazon is now listing DOS-EE as being out on November 4, 2014.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MG4RIXU/
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:59 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:It does look more foul than enchanted.

Looks like something from King Kong.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:27 am

I hadnt thought of that Bungo, but you are right, it would not have looked out of place in PJ's Kong at all.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:12 pm

<deleted>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Minnesota! cheers Welcome! The greatest state in the nation! Cool

DoS extended edition recommendations - Page 3 2cedaae55128677b538d5af9b77cf5d1

Forest Shepherd wrote:The set-up for the place is awful. We are told that the "rot" and "disease" that plagues the forest has only just recently appeared as a rumour of the Necromancers presence. So there is a preliminary disconnect between what we are told of the forest (that it is just now beginning to fall into decay) and what we see of the forest (that it is an ancient-looking place of dying trees, a badly-kept road, and swamp-like rivers).

The area around Rhosgobel in AUJ is still green and looks untouched by decay, apart from some stinky mushrooms and dead animals. And Rhosgobel is closer to Doggledoor, while the Elven Kingdom is several hundred miles north. So this huge forest that is supposed to be hundreds of miles long is decaying over a matter of a few weeks in the movie. Pretty preposterous.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:46 pm

<deleted>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Good to see you Forest.

I agree entirely with everything you said and your analysis save for the Tauriel bit, I didn't like any of her stuff either.  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:Ha, so that's where you're from Bungo!
I'm in the southeast corner, here at my old house. Whereabouts are you anyway?

I'm in the Twin Cities/Metro area. You must be somewhere around Rochester, either that or you're out in the sticks. Laughing

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:03 pm

<deleted>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:07 pm

Went on a family vacation to Bayfield Wisconsin when I was a kid. Such a beautiful area. But I remember it raining quite a lot, so we didn't get to do too much exploring.

{{{The good thing about where you are is that you can just hop in your car and drive over the border and pick up some Spotted Cow. Thumbs Up }}}

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Welcome back, Forest! A very impressive crabbit rant, and well-argued too. Nod Good to have you around again. Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:29 am

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/epic-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-97756535372.html?src=rss

Trailer confirms Thrain will be in. Probably won't serve much more purpose than to foreshadow "dragon sickness." Two new Beorn scenes. One of which looks like it was filmed in front of a beautiful green screen.

Nine hours of special features.

DoS extended edition recommendations - Page 3 NUyttbn

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:34 am

The bonus material is the best part! I actually bought the AUJ EE on itunes just to watch the behind the scenes things.

DoS extended edition recommendations - Page 3 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:07 am

I had the same thought as Tin initially, but after watching AUJ-EE in preparation for the second film, I just wasn't able to muster the interest to watch the documentaries, even though I've heard great things about them. The vlogs have already given me a sense of what the production was like, and frankly, that's been enough for me. Especially when there are still bits of the LOTR documentaries that I haven't seen, more than six years after getting those DVDs. I'll definitely watch DOS-EE when it comes out, but I plan on getting a digital copy and skipping the documentaries again. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:16 am

Eh, the docs aren't as good as the ones from the LOTR EE's IMO. They're pretty much just longer versions of the vlogs. Plus there are some pretty crabbit inducing moments courtesy of Philipper Boyens and Peter Jackson.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Yeah, I could swallow the self-congratulatory moments in the LOTR docs, but I think the TH ones would be too much for me.

Maybe if I'm really bored one day I'll watch the Tolkien-specific docs (if there are any), since those ones on the LOTR DVDs were actually really good. Although I have to wonder if PJ or Boyens would pop up and try to keep peddling their Appendices nonsense.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Well I dont think the Thrain scene will make my purist edit! Far as I can see I'd agree with Blue- looks like nothing more than a way to further the story of the main character Thorin.
Given when it seems o take place it can't be a flashback so no map or key connection, therefore pointless. Unless your a fan of Thorin as the main character in The Hobbit or think just having his hair on screen makes for a good film Evil or Very Mad

We've already seen a bit of the enchanted river- or should that be disgusting swamp, and its been reduced to a celebration of Martin Freeman pulling faces, and Bombur doesnt even fall in, so not much good there either. Mad

So that leaves the Beorn scene on the garden- which we have to hope beyond hope is not just another scene of pointless exposition about his people or Dol Guldur. But I doubt it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:16 pm

I'm still hoping there might be something to make the Elves of Mirkwood a little bit more memorable (in addition to something that might give Beorn even a sliver of relevance). Clearly there won't be any forest feasts but like ... something, anything would be nice. For as bloated as these films are, they have this really weird habit of stripping down certain memorable parts of the book to their absolute bare bones.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:30 pm

Eldorion wrote: For as bloated as these films are, they have this really weird habit of stripping down certain memorable parts of the book to their absolute bare bones.

Yeah, I keep having this nagging thought that they originally planned something closer to the Book, but as they added padding they found it necessary to strip the real story out so it didn't conflict in tone with the bloating. Evil or Very Mad

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well I dont think the Thrain scene will make my purist edit! Far as I can see I'd agree with Blue- looks like nothing more than a way to further the story of the main character Thorin.

I said that? scratch  Well, it certainly sounds very intelligent.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:12 pm

David H wrote:
Eldorion wrote: For as bloated as these films are, they have this really weird habit of stripping down certain memorable parts of the book to their absolute bare bones.

Yeah, I keep having this nagging thought that they originally planned something closer to the Book, but as they added padding they found it necessary to strip the real story out so it didn't conflict in tone with the bloating. Evil or Very Mad

That sounds a very appealing thought. Though I do think there would have been quite a bit of Jackson influenced stuff anyway.

Though Pettys edit shows that when you cut out the excess added padding, whatever you want to call it, there is actually possible to construct a film a lot closer to the book Albeit a short one.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Come to think of it why were you watching the official cut Eldo and not my purist edit anyway- this is going to be LotR's edits all over again- been waiting about five years now for your thoughts on those. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next