Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better?

+16
Sinister71
Radaghast
Amarië
RA
CC12 35
Ally
Ringdrotten
Mrs Figg
Norc
David H
halfwise
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
azriel
chris63
richardbrucebaxter
20 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Empty Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better?

Post by richardbrucebaxter Fri May 03, 2013 2:25 pm

I think a lot of good could be done with the extended version in terms of making An Unexpected Journey seem less rushed, less cliche, and more unexpected. Adding some content between 'Dwarf flash back of arch nemesis' and 'arch nemesis staring back at Dwarf' would seriously help for a start. I think some achievements could also be made in terms of deemphasising the warg tracking orc parade in general.

Having watched the film on disc, are there some recommendations could you make for the extended edition? (Is there any way of concealing the obvious hollywood plot overlay without actually removing content?) Or alternatively, are you happy with everything and do you just want to see more of what is already there?

(Do you know of any details in terms of what is planned to be added to the extended edition?)
richardbrucebaxter
richardbrucebaxter
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Empty Re: Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better?

Post by chris63 Fri May 03, 2013 2:31 pm

mmmmmm

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Tumblr_m4u1l0C0e31rwcc6bo1_500

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Empty Re: Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better?

Post by azriel Fri May 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Mmm_zps68d2868e

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 03, 2013 3:11 pm

I would prefer a shortened version minus all the additions rather than an extended one.
However I am hoping for some more character moments for Bilbo, particularly at Rivendell where Bilbo was woefully neglected.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 03, 2013 4:23 pm

You thought that AUJ seemed rushed? I actually thought the pacing was okay in that the film didn't feel as long as it was, but it needed to be cut down considerably. If they did that then I'd be okay with them adding in some other scenes because Bilbo definitely got shortchanged.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 03, 2013 8:25 pm

I think you'll find there's a lot of people that would rather cut out dumb stuff - but I'd be all for replacing the dumb stuff with some thoughtful scenes that build character development.

Cut 3/4 of stone giants and replace with Bilbo yearning for home.

Cut the bunny sled chase and have the dwarves enter rivendell like sensible folk

All orc and goblin scenes should be cut and redone in a way more in tune with the book. I'll even let them keep the Thorin/Azog feud so long as Azog is first found in goblin town and chases them from there.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Basically I agree with that Halfy- lose several minutes of giant fighting for Bilbo at Rivendell.
That sort of thing.
Id lose the whole Azog stuff, in my view the film is a better film without it. (have you watched my edit Halfy?)

Sadly there are some changes that are not just down to PJ excess but quite delibrate departures- like Bilbo choosing to leave instead of being shoved out the door protesting by Gandalf, that simply have to be put up with. Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri May 03, 2013 10:50 pm

It may only be a small thing but, Gandalf rustling up Bilbo & telling him to get to the Green Dragon to meet up with the Dwarves, AND that he's late ! erks me a tad ! I think it should have been included as it shows Bilbo was a bit hesitant to go on this adventure but, at the last minute, curiosity got the better of him & off he went ! AND Bilbo didnt have enough time to pack even a small bag of goodies, which he grumbled about ! not even a pocket hanky ! It shows Bilbo had decisions he could make, he didnt have to go,but he did. He doesnt need Gandalf to tell him when or where to take a life either. Bilbo can think for himself.

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by richardbrucebaxter Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 am

Thanks for your feedback so far everyone, I really appreciate it.

Eldorion wrote:You thought that AUJ seemed rushed? ...
By "rushed", I was mainly referring to the first half of the film, which was continuously disrupted by the prospect of attempted-to-be-threatening imaginary orcs, which to no surprise whatsoever could not catch up to the party even after 5 minutes of pursuit.

halfwise wrote:... Bilbo yearning for home. Cut the bunny sled chase and have the dwarves enter rivendell like sensible folk. All orc and goblin scenes should be cut and redone in a way more in tune with the book. I'll even let them keep the Thorin/Azog feud so long as Azog is first found in goblin town and chases them from there.
I completely agree with all of this.

Pettytyrant101 wrote:... Sadly there are some changes that are not just down to PJ excess but quite delibrate departures- like Bilbo choosing to leave instead of being shoved out the door protesting by Gandalf, that simply have to be put up with. Mad
I agree there have been some really poor decisions that limit character development - which was originally to occur throughout the entire journey. It is possible that Bilbo's later heroics are going to seem rather mundane and stereotypically. I am not exactly sure how they are going to correct for this...

Last edited by richardbrucebaxter on Sat May 04, 2013 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
richardbrucebaxter
richardbrucebaxter
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 04, 2013 3:56 am

My worries too richard.
The first film has Bilbo making his first kill to soon and earning Thorins respect and that of the dwarves too soon.
All for a last minute contrived ending that was clearly not how the script was written originally regards Bilbo/Thorin arc.
So I am not sure whats left in terms of the arc between those two characters that will still ring true to Tolkien in any way and that wont equally have had to been made up on the fly following the change to 3 films.
They have to get Thorin to the position he is in the book when Bilbo reveals he stole the Arkenstone.
Im not sure how they plan to do that now in relation to Bilbo.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by richardbrucebaxter Sat May 04, 2013 4:20 am

My thoughts exactly Petty...

(My only hope is that by somehow adding in some less than perfect character moments for Bilbo to the extended edition it might somehow leave some room for growth. Not my idea originally to focus more on Bilbo, but I think this provides a very good reason to do so).
richardbrucebaxter
richardbrucebaxter
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat May 04, 2013 4:44 am

My hope is that the extended edition will be edited with an eye to promote first the cinematic release of DoS and eventually its DVD release rather than following the current edit.

I can see why they thought AUJ needed some kind of resolution for the theatrical release, which I'm sure is why they patched the Bilbo/Thorin ending on.

But a more open ending would actually work better for helping promote DoS, both from allowing Bilbo's character arc more room to grow and by leaving more of a classic cliffhanger ending.

I'm hoping.....
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by richardbrucebaxter Sat May 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Cheers David - a monetary incentive to get things normalised (DoS) - I like it.
richardbrucebaxter
richardbrucebaxter
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun May 05, 2013 5:39 pm

i saw the hobbit at the fas station today Razz well, i hope the ee will make it better, i am not buying it until the box-set comes out Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 09, 2013 12:22 pm

halfwise wrote:I think you'll find there's a lot of people that would rather cut out dumb stuff - but I'd be all for replacing the dumb stuff with some thoughtful scenes that build character development.

Cut 3/4 of stone giants and replace with Bilbo yearning for home.

Cut the bunny sled chase and have the dwarves enter rivendell like sensible folk

All orc and goblin scenes should be cut and redone in a way more in tune with the book. I'll even let them keep the Thorin/Azog feud so long as Azog is first found in goblin town and chases them from there.

I agree apart from Azog, I would cut all of it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by richardbrucebaxter Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Ok I have finally had the opportunity to purchase and watch the film for a second time. The introductory warg tracking orc dialogue didn't seem nearly as bad. It didn't seem as rushed either, and the sledge ride didn't seem nearly as distracting; nor the accidental entry into Rivendell. Perhaps I have lost my memories of the book and have become accustomed to the alternative narrative? But I still hate Azog..
richardbrucebaxter
richardbrucebaxter
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:06 pm

I am not really too interested in seeing the EE, as nothing short of refilming the whole thing could get me emotionally involved with the thing. The only bit I can actually say I enjoyed were the first few minutes looking at Dale and Erebor (although not really necessary) I thought it made a magnificent opening and when that finished for me it all went flat until Gollum and once that sequence was over, I had officially ended my love for Peter Jacksons Middle Earth. (apart from LOTR which I will Always hold dear)
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Have you seen Petty's latest cut yet, Mrs Figg?

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:12 pm

no not yet, I am waiting for the EE cut maybe he can salvage something with any added Bilbo in Rivendell shots.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Cool - just don't give up on the film before you've seen his edit Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:09 pm

hi, Ringo Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Hello, Norc  Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? Wave2

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:58 pm

img, that smiley is adorable!!!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:58 pm

we need to add that one.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Sure, it's cute. Wave
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next