Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better?

+16
Sinister71
Radaghast
Amarië
RA
CC12 35
Ally
Ringdrotten
Mrs Figg
Norc
David H
halfwise
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
azriel
chris63
richardbrucebaxter
20 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? - Page 10 Empty Re: Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better?

Post by Sinister71 Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:24 pm

I've seen all the EE material Eldo... most all of it really doesn't add anything to the film and almost all of it is made up Peter Jackson material. Other than say the Bilbo Elrond scene which was based on something from FOTR with Frodo basically if I remember correctly. The rest of the additions though have nothing from the source material or Tolkien which was rather disappointing. Just more Peter Jackson and less actual Hobbit material I'm afraid. Sleep

A friend paid for the download but did not get the appendices material only the EE film. I know they were having issues with it on the 22nd and for a few days after that. I really don't know if WB is gonna make it right to those who did get a screwed up DD copy. I know my bud Mike who ordered it sent an email about it but haven't heard anything more about it.
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? - Page 10 Empty Re: Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better?

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:35 pm

I've seen most of the EE scenes so far and the only one that really impressed me was the Bilbo/Elrond one (which is was the first one they released as a preview a few months ago).  I do still really enjoy that one.  I didn't necessarily expect the EE to have more book material, because contrary to popular opinion that's not what happened with the LOTR ones, but most of the scenes were just inconsequential.

I am still somewhat curious to see how it effects viewing the entire movie as a single work, though.  I haven't watched the whole movie all the way through since January, and I would like to see it again some time before I see DOS.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:40 pm

I am just waiting for Season 4 of GOT. Now thats exciting stuff.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:26 am

sinister71 wrote:most all of it really doesn't add anything to the film and almost all of it is made up Peter Jackson material.
AUJ in a nutshell.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:14 am

it is sadly RA. At least with the EE of LOTR there was some scenes that fleshed out the story and actually added something to the films. With the EE Hobbit not so much. The character driven stuff isn't bad but it really doesn't add anything to the film in terms of fleshing any characters out. It's like more crap on top of a crap sandwich. Rolling Eyes 

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:13 am

The LOTR-EEs added a lot to the story, especially in TTT and ROTK. You can argue that some of that stuff should have been included in the theatrical cut and I'd agree, but I definitely consider the EEs to be the superior version of LOTR.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:00 pm

the EEs are wondrous fair. cheers some things like Faramir and Eowyn in the House of Healing I wish had been included in the theatrical, one day I hope to see their wedding which they actually filmed. That would be fantastic.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:11 pm

something I really liked. Shocked 

I saw the small clip of Gandalf and Bilbo as a child in Hobbiton. That was very cute indeed.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Where did you find that?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Clearly, the thread I posted it in a few days ago. Nod

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:the EEs are wondrous fair. cheers some things like Faramir and Eowyn in the House of Healing I wish had been included in the theatrical, one day I hope to see their wedding which they actually filmed. That would be fantastic.
I didn't know they actually filmed the wedding. Very Happy I would love to see a reel of deleted scenes that didn't make it into the EEs. Not including that is just about my only criticism of the bonus features.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:10 pm

some deleted scenes, I love the Legolas and the Eowyn ones.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:05 pm

i wish they had kept the epilogue footage go gimli and legolas. also the Eowyn ones are pretty badass, but seeing that the orcs seems to have entered the glittering caves, i am glad they dropped that too. also, aragorn fighting sauron, so glad they switched it to a troll Very Happy no need to explain that one i think Razz

though i do wish they had showed more of eowyn and faramir's story Smile also, eomer! EOMER! one of my favourite characters, he's just great Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by richardbrucebaxter Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:40 pm

The extended edition definitely flows better - I really enjoyed it..

And this is not just book pretenses slowly fading away. The additional content appears to have deemphasised Azog if nothing else, yet I think it has helped the narrative being told by the film more generally (its own one). Well done to them all.
richardbrucebaxter
richardbrucebaxter
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:42 pm

is there more Bilbo in Rivendell?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by richardbrucebaxter Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:48 am

(Lots more...)
richardbrucebaxter
richardbrucebaxter
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:52 am

Does Bilbo see a painting of Sauron while he's there?

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:46 am

Not sure if this has been posted before and I just missed it- the extended WC scene where they discuss the Dwarf Rings- they'd have been better leaving this in and cutting the rest Mad  (you might want to skip to 40 seconds in to avoid waiting on Galadriel to finish a sentence!)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:51 am

So the one part of the White Council scene which actually had basis in Tolkien they cut? Shocked 

Go figure.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:10 pm

theres so much I dont like about the WC scenes I dont know where to start. Do Elven Queens really talk in slo-mo? Is Gandalf really so disrespectful of Saruman? (quasi-facepalm at the beginning) does everything have to be about Sauron? sheesh!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:20 pm

At least the seven rings are connected to Sauron- Id rather have had this if we have to have a WC meeting at all than that nonsense about drug addled brains and yellow teeth. Mad 

And yeah Blue, there is something very typical in them cutting the tolkien based stuff in favour of their own made up Morgul blade/ringwraith tombs/Radagast gibberish Evil or Very Mad 
Says everything anyone needs to know about their own sense of elevated importance in relation to telling these stories. Tolkien doesnt get a look in over themselves. Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:theres so much I dont like about the WC scenes I dont know where to start. Do Elven Queens really talk in slo-mo? Is Gandalf really so disrespectful of Saruman? (quasi-facepalm at the beginning) does everything have to be about Sauron? sheesh!
Actually what annoyed me is that Gandalf was being called to the table like an insubordinate schoolboy - it's not that Gandalf is disrespectful of Saruman, but that Saruman is so disrespectful of Gandalf that bothers me.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:03 pm

The White Council Snoozefest 2000 has got to be one of the most boring scenes in film history.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Sleep   I know
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:45 pm

I remember thinking that the White Council storyline was the one part they might actually make an interesting story out of.

That was before reconning with the quality of the original writing of Boyens and Walsh though.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next