Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better?

+16
Sinister71
Radaghast
Amarië
RA
CC12 35
Ally
Ringdrotten
Mrs Figg
Norc
David H
halfwise
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
azriel
chris63
richardbrucebaxter
20 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? - Page 11 Empty Re: Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better?

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Go to say I was crabbit about the idea from its first mention- but would anyone expect anything less? (I was right to be as it turned out however Mad )

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? - Page 11 Empty Re: Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better?

Post by Bluebottle Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:50 pm

You certainly were. Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm crabbit about everything in DOS so far- I wonder how that will pan out.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:04 pm

I reckon your crabbit levels will go supersonic, only dogs will be able to hear it.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Im going to take precautions Figg- and wear a special hat with a visor and buckie dispenser built in Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:34 pm

I can't really get excited about the Dwarf Rings scene. They've made at least as big a mess of the backstory here as they did in the FOTR Prologue, but the prologue was like 5-10 minutes and then it was out of mind except for a few references to Isildur later on. The White Council is going to be a major plot element (presumably; they were actually surprisingly superfluous in AUJ, but I imagine they'll feature heavily in TABA) so the backstory stuff bugs me more here. Mad

Anyway, I bought AUJ-EE today and plan to watch through the Appendices soon. Nod I'll watch the whole film some time before I see DOS, but I'm not in as much of a hurry to do that. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:Does Bilbo see a painting of Sauron while he's there?
Yes, here is the clip.

I've gotta say from 0:50 to 1:10 is some of the worst editing I've seen in any of the Middle-earth films. When I watch it I feel like: "Okay, that's nice. Wait now he's over there. Where are we now? Hold the camera still, could we get an establishing shot, please? Ah, fuck it, it's over." What a disjointed montage.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:40 pm

I'll watch the whole film some time before I see DOS- Eldo

Any chance you could sort of watch it Eldo, but with the commentary- I really dont want to give them my money just to hear the excuses they come up with to justify stuff like rewriting the opening of the book, or altering all the troll dialogue- but I am curious to hear it too in a crabbit provoking sort of way.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:57 pm

I did listen to the commentary...I can't remember much but they didn't put much emphasis on the changes (Jackson was under the impression the eagles have no explantion in the book-you know that whole chapter you skipped out? grrr) or the book, it was kind of a laid back self congratulatory rather boring waffle I recall, they did kinda alude to the estate having beef with the films at one point which was surprsing.

Though the Talking Purse was mentioned quiet enthusiastically-but as with most of the changes seemed to be not exciting or cinematic enough.

I'm sure someone on TORn will post a transcript at some point.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:01 pm

They have very good explanation in the book - the lord of the eagles is watching the whole commotion from his mountain! Mad

Will the extended edition make AUJ flow better? - Page 11 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:06 pm

bungobaggins wrote:I've gotta say from 0:50 to 1:10 is some of the worst editing I've seen in any of the Middle-earth films. When I watch it I feel like: "Okay, that's nice. Wait now he's over there. Where are we now? Hold the camera still, could we get an establishing shot, please? Ah, fuck it, it's over." What a disjointed montage.
You weren't kidding. Shocked Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Any chance you could sort of watch it Eldo, but with the commentary- I really dont want to give them my money just to hear the excuses they come up with to justify stuff like rewriting the opening of the book, or altering all the troll dialogue- but I am curious to hear it too in a crabbit provoking sort of way.
malickfan wrote:I did listen to the commentary...I can't remember much but they didn't put much emphasis on the changes (Jackson was under the impression the eagles have no explantion in the book-you know that whole chapter you skipped out? grrr) or the book, it was kind of a laid back self congratulatory rather boring waffle I recall, they did kinda alude to the estate having beef with the films at one point which was surprsing.

Though the Talking Purse was mentioned quiet enthusiastically-but as with most of the changes seemed to be not exciting or cinematic enough.

I'm sure someone on TORn will post a transcript at some point.
I might watch the commentary some time, although Malickfan is not making me really want to. Razz That line from PJ reminds me of his comment in the ROTK commentary that he includes the Dead Men of Dunharrow out of a sense of obligation to book fans, but that he thought having an invincible army of dead guys was silly and didn't work as well on film as it did on the page. Banghead Hey, PJ! You're the one who made them frigiin' invincible.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:26 pm

I did enjoy the film a little more this time around though Sofa 

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:44 pm

TBQH I enjoyed AUJ more the second time I saw it, even though only two weeks had elapsed, but that may have been because I saw it my brother and a friend of his and their positive vibes rubbed off on me. That feeling has long since faded but I don't know what I'll think on watching the film for a third time since it's been nearly 11 months.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Try my purist edit Eldo- even if you dont like it at least its an hour shorter!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:46 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
Recoveryanonymous wrote:Does Bilbo see a painting of Sauron while he's there?
Yes, here is the clip.

I've gotta say from 0:50 to 1:10 is some of the worst editing I've seen in any of the Middle-earth films. When I watch it I feel like: "Okay, that's nice. Wait now he's over there. Where are we now? Hold the camera still, could we get an establishing shot, please? Ah, fuck it, it's over." What a disjointed montage.
I have to say I forgot just how in your face the foreshadowing is with AUJ. The painting was almost as bad as the slow motion ring drop with the iconic music. Maybe it's worse though; it's tough to say exactly.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:08 am

Had it a week, still haven't watched it yet. Watched the appendices part 7 and 8 thought they were very good.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:59 am

You listened to Pj and the Covens commentary yet Chris? Thats the only thing Im really interested in- I want to hear from their own mouths how they justify that abomination.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Eldorion wrote:TBQH I enjoyed AUJ more the second time I saw it, even though only two weeks had elapsed, but that may have been because I saw it my brother and a friend of his and their positive vibes rubbed off on me.  That feeling has long since faded but I don't know what I'll think on watching the film for a third time since it's been nearly 11 months.
I found that on multiple viewings I enjoyed the LotR films more, mainly because my crabbit was no longer being caught by surprise; I had time to adjust to the changes and no longer was suffering from dashed hopes here and there.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:22 pm

i have the answer for this thread.

no. 

now stop arguing.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Norc wrote:
i have the answer for this thread.

no.

now stop arguing.

Norc. I love you

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Very succinct Norc, and I suspect an entirely accurate answer.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:33 pm

halfwise wrote:I found that on multiple viewings I enjoyed the LotR films more, mainly because my crabbit was no longer being caught by surprise; I had time to adjust to the changes and no longer was suffering from dashed hopes here and there.
The first time I saw the LOTR films I was like nine or ten, and my most distinct memory is of being petrified by Gollum, even though I'd read the book before. I was a pretty wimpy kid, so I made me (younger, but less wimpy) brother fast forward through most of Gollum's scenes in ROTK. We weren't even allowed to watch TTT, because my dad thought that Helm's Deep was too bloody. He also made us close our eyes during Smeagol strangling Deagol and the decapitated heads scene in ROTK, but otherwise I guess he thought it was better. Anyway, needless to say, my first time watching the movies was a bit of a mess. Laughing When I was reintroduced to the films at a friend's birthday party about four years later, however, I quite enjoyed them and was intrigued. I ordered the EEs from Netflix, back when that was just a mail-order service, and devoured them in order. Even back then, which was several months before I posted actively on Tolkien forums, I disliked the changes in the movies, but I did enjoy them very much overall as works of cinema. Once I'd started discussing them online and got caught up in the final gasps of the Purist Wars (which were still going on a couple of sites) I became more critical of the films, and for a while I'd rant about them to my brother while we watched them, but eventually I made my peace with the films and was able to enjoy them for what they were. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 pm

First you're blinded, then you are angry about the faults, and eventual acceptance and happiness.

Sounds like a typical relationship.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Sounds like a typical relationship. - Halfy

You might have a point Halfy as my response was- "Why am I putting up with this?" "Its getting worse." "There really is no hope this fucking awful" "Get me out of here!"

Sounds like a relationship to me!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next