Eldorion
halfwise
Norc
17 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

favourite words - Page 4 Empty Re: favourite words

Post by Norc Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:12 pm

huffjuff wrote:"Fettlørv" is a Norwegian curse word. Directly translated it means something like "you slut". A better word might be "sjarkhora" or "gorrhysa". There is no intention of you trying to understand these words. There is no translation online Smile
that's a really bad translation.... you can't translate it with giving two new weird words..

Fettlørv (fett-lørv):
Fett: could mean different things, such as fat and cool, but in this relation it is a derivation from the word fette/fitte meaning cunt (a really foul word for it).
lørv: is a bit harder to translate as it is a very specific word. If i say a piece of clothing is lørvat it means it is very torn and raggedy and with lots of holes and it is filthy. a lørv is also a piece of cloth you have in the kitchen that you up spills with. it is again very dirty and it is something that is never very presentable. Just imagine the grossest piece of cloth you have in the kitchen. the cloth has been used until it is totally ruined and unrecognisable. 

now imagine road-kill that looks like a lørv and put that in the connection of the vagina. there you go. 

Sjarkhora:
sjark: small fishing boat, smells of fish
hora: hore/slut

Gorrhysa:
Gorr: probably means the same as the english word gore. we use it to emphatize when something is really disgusting. like when you remove the intestines of a fish and it shits on you. 
hysa: haddock (it's a fish). the fish could be a metaphor for different genitalia. 

norc out.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:16 pm

wolverine

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

favourite words - Page 4 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by huffjuff Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:20 pm

Borborygmus

- Noun
A rumbling or gurgling noise made by the movement of fluid and gas in the intestines.

huffjuff
Ringwinner

https://andreashustadphotography.myportfolio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:17 pm

Norc wrote:
huffjuff wrote:"Fettlørv" is a Norwegian curse word. Directly translated it means something like "you slut". A better word might be "sjarkhora" or "gorrhysa". There is no intention of you trying to understand these words. There is no translation online Smile
that's a really bad translation.... you can't translate it with giving two new weird words..

Fettlørv (fett-lørv):
Fett: could mean different things, such as fat and cool, but in this relation it is a derivation from the word fette/fitte meaning cunt (a really foul word for it).
lørv: is a bit harder to translate as it is a very specific word. If i say a piece of clothing is lørvat it means it is very torn and raggedy and with lots of holes and it is filthy. a lørv is also a piece of cloth you have in the kitchen that you up spills with. it is again very dirty and it is something that is never very presentable. Just imagine the grossest piece of cloth you have in the kitchen. the cloth has been used until it is totally ruined and unrecognisable. 

now imagine road-kill that looks like a lørv and put that in the connection of the vagina. there you go. 

Sjarkhora:

Gorrhysa:
Gorr: probably means the same as the english word gore. we use it to emphatize when something is really disgusting. like when you remove the intestines of a fish and it shits on you. 
hysa: haddock (it's a fish). the fish could be a metaphor for different genitalia. 

norc out.

I was going to make an attempt at translating fettlørv myself, but there's no way I am ever going to top that one slap laugh It should be put in a Norwegian-English dictionary Very Happy

favourite words - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:28 pm

Apricity:

The warmth of the sun on a cold winter's day.

I also really liked learning about kennings in my literature classes. Beowulf has lots of good ones of course. Smile

Referring to the sea as the whale-road, or calling poetry "lip-streams," blood as "slaughter-dew:" they all give new meaning to things, or at least make you think of them differently.
"Cloud-murk."
An honourable death as "flame-farewelled."

In Beowulf they call Hrothgar or somebody a "breaker of rings" in reference to his kingship.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:37 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
Ringdrotten wrote:Palaver - love this word Very Happy Bungo might know why.

Saucy Wink

Spoiler:

Love that picture Very Happy Have you taken the series up again, bungo? I'm progressing slowly at the moment (halfway through book 3) as I've only got time to read in bed, but I'm liking it more and more. There are some parts I don't care for as much, but the parts that are good are usually really good. There's no denying the first book is still my favourite parts - Tull and the "palaver" which inspired that picture are probably two of my all-time favorite chapters/scenes (not only from this series, but all the books I've read).
Spoiler:

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:26 am

forgive
forgiven
mercy
rain

simple words, but full of power and hope.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:31 am

Bluebottle wrote:not very likely, I know, or norc getting around to writing that post she's been talking about where she would show why Sherlock Series 3 was actually good.  Wink

Wait, is Norc a Sherlock S3 apologist? No
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:58 am

Ringdrotten wrote:Love that picture Very Happy Have you taken the series up again, bungo? I'm progressing slowly at the moment (halfway through book 3) as I've only got time to read in bed, but I'm liking it more and more. There are some parts I don't care for as much, but the parts that are good are usually really good. There's no denying the first book is still my favourite parts - Tull and the "palaver" which inspired that picture are probably two of my all-time favorite chapters/scenes (not only from this series, but all the books I've read).
Spoiler:

I tried to pick up where I left off, but I only lasted an hour or two until I realized that I had read a good portion that I had already read through. If I do get through book 4, it had better pay off in books 5, 6, and 7. Mad

I agree, book 1 is fantastic, but I think the series really hits it's stride in book 3. Which is unfortunate considering my opinion of book 4, so far. Rolling Eyes

I'm curious, what parts of book 3 don't you like so far?

{{{Maybe we should move this discussion to the books thread, or we could just norc this thread. Razz }}}

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:06 am

Wait, are we talking about The Dark Tower or ASOIAF? Moon
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:19 am

Rolling Eyes

{{{ Razz }}}

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:20 am

The Dark Tower - and for now let's just norc the thread, bungo  Very Happy Or perhaps you could move our posts to the books thread, Eldo?

Spoiler:

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:33 am

Ringdrotten wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:35 am

Just noticed it says U hope - should of course be I hope Laughing  And I guess you're right, bungo, I'll just have to wait till it stops spinning to get some answers Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:03 am

{{{Nah just Norc it. Very Happy}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:01 am

{{no, don't norc it}}}

penguins is a fun word, if you can pronounce it.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Very Happy

Penguin is actually one of very few english words that has it's origin in Welsh.

Corgi is another, which basically means dwarf dog. Cor "Dwarf" - gi "dog".

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:not very likely, I know, or norc getting around to writing that post she's been talking about where she would show why Sherlock Series 3 was actually good.  Wink

Wait, is Norc a Sherlock S3 apologist? No

Haven't we had that discussion like three times or something? Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Probably, now that you mention it. I'd rather forget everything related to that season though. sunny
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:50 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:
Norc wrote:

Fettlørv (fett-lørv):

Sjarkhora:

Gorrhysa:

norc out.

I was going to make an attempt at translating fettlørv myself, but there's no way I am ever going to top that one slap laugh It should be put in a Norwegian-English dictionary Very Happy

You're welcome Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Um.. yes.. certainly very educational. Shocked

Thank you. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:14 pm

We should make a forumshire dictionsry Very Happy ELDOOOO!!!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by huffjuff Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:40 pm

YES! Glorious idea! Who will start the thread?

huffjuff
Ringwinner

https://andreashustadphotography.myportfolio.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:28 pm

Yeah. The amount of times it's been mentioned, why not have an actual one too. Razz

And you've already made a great start, so..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:40 am

Norc wrote:We should make a forumshire dictionsry Very Happy ELDOOOO!!!

Start a thread on it, get a decent-sized list of terms, and I can sticky it in the Site Issues forum. Smile

I'm going camping this weekend though so you'll have to do it yourselves. Very Happy (Only for one night though unfortunately; my dad left today but I have work tomorrow morning.)
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next