RA
Nagual
Ringdrotten
chris63
bungobaggins
21 posters

Page 1 of 29 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next

Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. [2] Empty Favourite computer games of all time. [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:03 am

I played the first episode of Walking Dead, was quite good, I liked it was story led so gave a bit more depth to the usual smash the zombies brains in game.

Its the 30th Anniversary of Elite on the BBC Micro B-

And for comparison the Beta trailer for Elite: Dangerous-

(and yes you read that right- there are 400 BILLION star systems to discover in it- now thats a sandbox!)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. [2] Empty Re: Favourite computer games of all time. [2]

Post by bungobaggins Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:40 pm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Favourite computer games of all time. [2] Empty Re: Favourite computer games of all time. [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:59 am

Been replaying Skyrim now Ive got it reinstalled and modded up and stable (always tricky that last bit!) and just wanted to recommend again the mod Falskaar to anyone who has Skyrim.
Its 20+ hours of game play added spread over 26 quests, and comparable in size to the Dragonborn dlc, but in my view its better voice acted than anything in the actual main game or official dlc (over 30 voice actors involved), a great plot and some unique looking and wonderful locations to explore.
It also comes with its own 14 tune soundtrack and new Bard songs.
I had a lot more fun and found it much more interesting playing through than I did Dragonborn, whose plot and characters are pretty standard fare I thought.

Falskaar is definitely a must have if you are modding your game. And its compatible with Climates of Tamriel- you need the patch though. Making it even more stunning looking to play.

You can download it from the Skyrim Nexus here- http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37994/?

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:57 am

Favourite computer games of all time. [2] Tumblr_nbrs6gTHZj1qb5gkjo2_500

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:51 am

Good find Chris!

On another note... if anyone wants an engrossing story, rewards for hard work and and easy to understand economy.... dont bother with Destiny!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Ive yet to see or read a good review of Destiny. cant say I am surprised I thought Halo was the most over hyped pile of non event in the history of gaming.

On another more upbeat note I am rather excited bounce bounce I am currently downloading Elite:Dangerous bounce bounce courtesy of an early birthday present from Nagual.
Now normally such a gesture would warrant some response such as Kissing but frankly thats just embarrassing as Scotshobbits to us both and involves emotions Mad , so instead I will say cheers Nagual my old mate pub genuinely touched by this particular gift.

(And for anyone wondering why I am thanking Nagual on here and not in person, see above about Scotshobbits and embarrassing gestures involving emotions Mad )

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Ive yet to see or read a good review of Destiny. cant say I am surprised I thought Halo was the most over hyped pile of non event in the history of gaming.

I've not had the chance to play Destiny much yet, but I'd say it's been hyped up a little bit too much - decent shooter, but not much more so far. I'd be interested in hearing how much time you spent playing Halo, though. As far as shooters go, it had a great story (especially Halo 2) and one of the most enjoyable multiplayers I've ever played.

Favourite computer games of all time. [2] Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:51 pm

All of Halo 1 and 2. Watched my brother play bits of the rest.
I thought they were solid, competent fps that did nothing new or interesting.
Solid but bland. 8 of 10 fare. I never could understand the bestowing of 10 out of 10's on it and all the accolades.

At about the same time I was playng Halo 2 I was also playing The Darkness- another fps, but one that incorporates a varied and intriguing set of levels. Unique ways to dispatch your foes through your darkness powers. And an interesting and often genuinely involving way to do plot and character building (the bit where you spend ten minutes of game just snuggling up on the couch with your girlfriend in her new flat watching Catcher in the Rye on television until she finally dozes off is a great example of a game taking the time to build believable character beats). No it wasn't flawless, no it wasn't as solid or as polished as Halo, but it was a million times less generic and production line.

I am sure the multiplayer was great but I hate multiplayer, especially fps multilayer where the quota of little dicks seems through the roof. I play games to get away from the real world and other people, not to have to listen to them whining on and meet them  Mad So I am judging Halo solely on what it offers story and gameplay wise in the single player campaigns.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:28 pm

So you played two full games of "the most over hyped pile of non event in the history of gaming" - waste of time, some would say (sarcastic fjordians might Nod ) And most of the "Halo worship" is about the multiplayer anyway, though the story did inspire tons of novels and whatnot, so I'd say the story isn't without merit either.

I haven't played Darkness, but what you're describing sounds a little bit like Destiny actually, or at least what Destiny is trying to be.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:32 pm

I played 1 through necessity as I got the game free and it was the only game I had on my pc at the time.
I played 2 with a mate in coop story mode on the 360 )I think, or was it just the original xbox?).
And as I said they were solid enough games- 8 out of 10 which is a decent game- I just didnt, and still dont, see what was so special or unique about them to warrant all the fuss.
For me there were other games out there in the same genre doing much more interesting innovative things than it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah, Halo 2 was released for the original xbox only. I don't think there really is anything unique about the story, at least not enough to warrant the fuss, as you put it. The thing that kept people playing Halo 1, 2 and 3 for years after their respective releases was the multiplayer, which I daresay was rather unique at the time. At the very least the excellent match-making system was, and the gameplay was thoroughly fun and enjoyable. Anyway, you're no fan of fps multiplayer, which is fair enough, so I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. And I guess there's nothing wrong in liking some games better others Nod

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:14 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
I am sure the multiplayer was great but I hate multiplayer, especially fps multilayer where the quota of little dicks seems through the roof. I play games to get away from the real world and other people, not to have to listen to them whining on and meet them  Mad So I am judging Halo solely on what it offers story and gameplay wise in the single player campaigns.

Well, I'm sure there is a game out there, you know.. a genre that you have loved since you were but a tiny hairy little Scothobbit. Something perhaps off worldly... in, what some may call, Space? Traversing through the Stars on board StarShips! Perhaps occurring in the future, around 3300 AD? Perhaps in an interesting new multiplayer way? I'm sure there must be one like that. If only I knew what it was then I could phone you and tell you, but then you'd have to actually answer your phone! Bah! rabbit
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:04 am

Yes, but 400 billion star systems- I can surely avoid having to meet anyone new Mad

As to phones - Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:28 am

I find Halo special because it was the first shooter I ever played; aside from like Half Life, I think it's the only shooter I've played for any real amount of time. The series has aged fairly well excluding four, I think. I still play ODST Firefight frequently. And Microsoft might have me with the Master Chief Collection, bastards.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:08 am

My little brother is a Halo fanboy. I have never got what is so appealing about it.
You mention Half Life, I would say Counter Strike was a more innovative for its time multilayer fps than Halo was for its time. And in the continuing Valve trend TF2 is a more polished multiplayer shooter than Halo.

I just seem to be missing what the 'special' thing about Halo is. It looks, feels and plays to me like a generic scifi shooter that as the sequels go on increasingly plays it safe.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:16 pm

has anyone gotten or played Shadow of Mordor? from the playthroughs I've seen it looks pretty awesome!!!!!! Partiuclarly in terms of lore. A much better blend of somone's own vision mixed with the canon material.

Favourite computer games of all time. [2] Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:04 pm

I..
I hope that's sarcasm.
Or something.
Sad

I've only seen some trailers and a few short playthroughs, but.. I mean it's crueler to the lore than anything Jackson has ever done!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Wasn't being sarcastic. I genuinely think it's pretty cool. Compared to the Hobbit filmsc it seems much more concerned with the Middle Earth and it's history with changes that make more sense. I don't know what it is that makes it seem better than TH fimls, but somehting does. Maybe it's the fact that it reminds me of Hunt for Gollum and Born of Hope. Both took things from the appendices and made something from it, where PJ is stuffing an already clearly laid out story with his extra crap.

* Sorry, decided to edit the post after I realized I hadnt seen all of your previous one forest!

Last edited by Tinuviel on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Not sure.
I think there was a video somewhere relating to it!
One sec.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:16 pm

Yes Eldo had sarcastically posted this video created by (but paid for by WB) a third-party film company for the game Shadows of Mordor.

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t81p120-games-of-any-sort

The whole point of the game is to use the most evil thing possible (the imposition of your will onto others for evil) to control increasingly more powerful orcs in order to kill even more of them.
I haven't actually played it yet, so I'm not sure what the introduction is like, and what kind of backstory you get (apart from some gobbledygook about you becoming a wraith by doing something or other) but your goal in the game is to use evil to perform more evil.
It's pretty much as far from any Tolkien base as you can get, so saying that it seems to mesh well with "the canon" seems to be rather misguided.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:11 am

Actually the wraith *SPOILER* is Celebrimbor, who was cursed by Sauron after making the ring. I don't know. I like it from what I've seen so far. Looks like a fun game too!!

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:14 am

I might have to just recuse myself from the whole thing - Shadow of Mordor, that is. After WB killing MERP, I don't think I'll have anything to do with that game. I'm just numb to it; WB has the father of the modern fantasy genre in their hands and I feel like they're wasting it. There's only one thing I can do: Turn my head away. totally original too...

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:28 am

Shadow of Mordor, everyone.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:56 pm

I was a little surprised to see that Shadow of Mordor has gotten really good reviews (85 on Metacritic) and has a lot of hype on the main gaming forum I visit. Previous "finally, the Middle-earth game we always wanted!" candidates like The Lord of the Rings: Conquest and War in the North tended to land with a splat on arrival. Maybe this one will actually make an impression and bring prestige to the gaming part of the franchise?

Still doesn't look like it's going to score any points for faithfulness in tone or lore, although the wraith thing is (very) loosely based on some stuff Tolkien wrote (that the game-makers don't legally have the right to adapt anyway).
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:05 am

I am in no way convinced of the worth of the game. It's mechanics: in those I suppose lie its value.
Otherwise it just seems too much like the adoption of the Middle-Earth brand and Orcish stereotypes for the sake of exploiting the needs of Assassin's Creed fans who also liked the orcs and Uruk-hai from Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 29 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next