Cool stuff you can get

4 posters

Go down

Cool stuff you can get Empty Cool stuff you can get

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:21 pm

I've started this topic to help alert people to cool stuff floating around in the big wide world that we can actually get our hands on for a reasonable price, not just dream about.

I'm starting off with the smartphone remote controlled powered paper airplane kit, which should be available by May for about $45 (if you add in shipping).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/393053146/powerup-30-smartphone-controlled-paper-airplane

The beauty of this is not only does nearly everyone already own the controller device, but you can make any chassis design you want for the cost of a piece of paper. Genius is almost always obvious in retrospect....which I guess doesn't say a whole lot about our collective intelligence.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Cool stuff you can get Empty Re: Cool stuff you can get

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Seems like this could be an interesting thread to bump.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:09 pm

malickfan wrote:Seems like this could be an interesting thread to bump.

What kind of sick twisted necromancy are you up to Malick? All these dead threads rising from the grave!

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:10 pm

bungobaggins wrote:
malickfan wrote:Seems like this could be an interesting thread to bump.

What kind of sick twisted necromancy are you up to Malick? All these dead threads rising from the grave!

I'm really bored Shrugging :carrot:

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:26 pm

I'd like to know about some cool stuff you can get Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:14 am

I don't even remember creating this thread! Shocked

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:16 am

Do you remember the thing you linked to? scratch

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:29 am

I never followed up on the thing I linked to.  I hope it's still around!

But as long as we're talking about cool stuff you can buy, almost right around the corner from me is this somewhat new Japanese bar started by this bartender/owner (I could go into a pedigree here, but I'm not sure it would be followed):

Cool stuff you can get Barten10

The guy's a genius.  I was in there tonight celebrating completing a journal paper, and between the ambience, the music (delta blues) and the drinks, I was very happy.  I snapped his picture and sent it to my sort of one time girlfriend, trying to convince her this was the guy she should marry.  He's tail, with ponytail and vest, a genius behind the bar and in business.  If I were a different gender I'd be trying to marry him.

Anyway, the signature drink here is Smoke: bourbon left to sit in a glass with an chiseled ice cube and spray of bitters.  Then you blow in scented wood smoke and it makes a cloud.  Here it is behind the bar before it's brought to me.

Cool stuff you can get Bargir10

Yes, the bargirl is adorable too.  Everyone's adorable when you're my age.  Note the wisps of smoke all over.  Here's the final product.

Cool stuff you can get Drink10

So um,  yeah.  That's a cool thing you can buy.

I also had a great conversation with a banker who sat next to me (this kind of thing only happens in Harlem).  She taught me to eat raw oysters (bad experience in the past) and we talked about saving the historic Jazz bars in Harlem.  She has the expertise, I've actually talked to these people so have the contacts.  This is gonna happen.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:46 am

BTW, I just ordered the remote control paper airplane thing for my brother for christmas. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for bumping this, Malick; I hadn't figgered out what to get him.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:12 am

Shocked Nice, smokey drinks and a fortuitous meeting. (Almost like something out of the prancing pony.) Nod Like the Japanese bar thing, didn't know it was a thing

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:22 am

Oh, the Japanese are perfectionists in everything. Believe it or not there's a connection between Harlem and Japan - the young Japenese Jazz musicians want to come here, and they're good. Even better, the Japanese Tap Dancers want to come here, and they're really good. Except that the live music scene is dying in Harlem, and you can't have tap dancing without live music (it's just lame). So I can help save live music, tap dancing, and perk up the lives of dozens of young aspiring japanese all at the same time!

Oh, but we were talking about drinks. Take it from me, if you see a Japanese cocktail bar, conduct yourself inside pronto. They practice and work on things until they are just the pinnacle of perfection. The Tokyo cocktail bars are legendary throughout the world. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. And I've got one right around the corner from me. Only a handful in New York City, so I count myself lucky. This guy comes from the original Japanese cocktail bar in NYC: Angel's Share, one of the modern line of hidden bars (behind a curtain in a Japanese restaurant in the East Village). His credentials are impeccable, and it shows.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:29 am

Nice. Never knew harlem had a Japanese connection

Have yourself a Japanese whisky. I've heard the stuff is good Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down