Radaghast
malickfan
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
Norc
28 posters

Page 42 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42

Go down

Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS - Page 42 Empty Re: Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Post by Radaghast Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Wish he's spent more time filming LotR instead of Zulu.

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS - Page 42 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS - Page 42 Empty Re: Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
How come Legolas is a one elf killing machine but a couple of hundred elves are cannon fodder?

For argument's sake (because I don't disagree with you at all, I just want to play the devil's advocate again  Twisted Evil ): The same reason Eomer and Aragorn kick more arse than your average man of Rohan - they're "heroes" (for lack of a better word to use). Gandalf says something like this in RotK "And we have names among us worth a thousand spears". So there you have your answer to that question at least Twisted Evil

Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS - Page 42 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Do Tauriel and all the tree leaping, spider web swinging, barrel leaping elves in TH also all have a name worth a thousand spears then?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Yup Nod

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:08 pm

So if they only had had Tauriel at the Battle of Helms Deep they wouldn't have needed all those other elves?

Hindsight's a bitch, eh Peter.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 pm

On a more serious note, no, of course not. I should have mentioned that I didn't take TH into account. Tauriel is an invented character, and the Mirkwood elves are just ridiculously overpowered (is that a gaming term only, by the way?). I think Jackson shot himself in the foot there - he can't have an army of warriors like that present at the Bo5A, that would be all but tense or exciting. Legolas, while his tricks and ninja skills are ridiculous as well, is after all a powerful elf in the books too, so it's not that far-fetched. Like I said in my first reply, though, I agree with you. Just thought I'd put in an argument for the fun of it Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Regardless of the books, when you have a hero in a story, they always are more extraordinary than the others. If they weren't, then they aren't worth our time. And extraordinary doesn't always mean super powered. In an action flick (which TH is at its core) the heroes have to be good fighters, rather the best fighters. What worked in LOTR was that the heroes weren't above injury or harm, but in TH we all know they aren't going to get hurt because there is no such thing as mortality in those films!

Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS - Page 42 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:15 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:Okay. Smile
Wait a minute, Saul's not dangerous...

It may be time to update the custom rank. cyclops

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: <snip> its just the ones at Helms Deep presumably couldnt be arsed and preffered just to stand there and get slaughtered!

But the main prolem is ruins all the tension instantly- we have an excellent set up where Theoden tells Aragorn "we are not so lucky in our friends as you" setting up the odds they re against and then they ruin it.
PJ says in the commentary he wanted Helms Deep to feel like the Zulu- except in Zulu right before the attack a large force of crack British elite soldiers dont turn up to fight for them- and if they had Zulu would have been ruined too.

I agree there mate. But A) I LIKE Haldir turning up now,
                                  B) I HATE Haldir Dying (The music always makes me think I'm gonna see Valinor any second and it stops short.)
                            And C) I HATE Zulu with a passion. Apart from the sergeant/surgeon (?) shouting 'Youre a soldier now Hooky ! in that crazed voice. Hate it.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc32YdEWHzo

-one of my fave AUJ reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOIi9SjJvgU

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Laughing 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:41 pm

HT is great. The best thing to have come from these movies Very Happy

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 pm

I Lurrrrve 'Honest Trailers', always so funny & they spot such bloody obvious mistakes & embellish them. I never get bored with watching these  Razz And the name change at the end ? someone had fun thinking them up !
Gwyneth Paltrow...for Leggy !

Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS - Page 42 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS - Page 42 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:50 pm

azriel wrote:And the name change at the end ? someone had fun thinking them up !
Gwyneth Paltrow...for Leggy !
Laughing

I also like the names given to the dwarves.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Me to Raddy ! hysterical  Razz

Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS - Page 42 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Critics review 'Desolation of Smaug' | POSSIBLE SPOILERS - Page 42 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 42 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42