Ringdrotten
leelee
Pettytyrant101
Amarië
Norc
24 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [4] - Page 20 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [4]

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:46 pm

We have a field right by our cabin where they keep ox calves in summer, you literally have to drive across it to get anywhere, and I think they have a rather nice time off it.

So although I know most of them are going to be slaughtered when they take them away in the autumn, I figure at least they had a nice summer.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [4] - Page 20 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [4]

Post by David H Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:16 pm

That's the best way, Norc and Blue.  It's better for the animals, and in my opinion it produces better tasting and healthier meat.  

But the problem for the businesses it that, as you say, the natural time to butcher is in the autumn, so the price of beef is lowest then, and becomes more and more expensive through the winter and spring.  Imagine what McDonald's would have to do if 33 million cattle were butchered in September and October, and everybody had to find space in freezers to keep it. Shocked 

So instead they preserve the "meat" by keeping it alive till they need it, and in the process farming is changed into a giant meat factory.  The more you know, the creepier it seems.

When I can, I buy my beef from a neighbor who is a retired butcher with a small shop behind his house. He buys from farmers he knows, and knows exactly the quality he's looking at when he butchers,  cuts and wraps.  It's just good to know where your food comes from.

The more I know about agribusiness meat processing the less I buy ground beef.  pale

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:31 pm

I dont eat pigs because I dont know how they have been treated while alive.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Yeah...that's worse than the beef industry.... Sad 

I wish my neighbor knew a pig farmer.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Im vegetarian, I just cant swallow meat knowing what it once was. I am not naive about food, farms etc, for me its personal. Im surrounded by countryside, I see baby lambs bouncing about, cuddling 'mum' & it chokes me up, Ive been scorned, ridiculed & sniped at cos I wont eat things I believe contain meat & I wont eat eggs that are from chickens that are kept in cruel misery. I also dont eat fish. I cant abide animal cruelty, Id gladly serve time if it meant helping the animal world from the cruel clutches of greedy money grabbing scumbags. I do see the need to "feed the world", I see the need to develop medicines & vaccinations etc,via animal labs but, not the need for animal torture or suffering. Its their world also.

Things that are making you crabbit! [4] - Page 20 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Things that are making you crabbit! [4] - Page 20 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:22 pm

I understand the vegetarian thing, Az. For me it's not so simple.

I was raised on this farm with the understanding that, way back in the stone age, our ancestors made a contract with all the farm animals, the cows, pigs, sheep, goats, geese and chickens, that we would protect them, feed them, and give them the best life possible. In return they'd give us food. Without us, they'd mostly all die. Without them, so would most of us.

It sounds a bit childish when I put it into words now, but I still feel somehow bound by the contract. Whenever I eat meat, I think about the animal and the "contract", and I wonder about how the creature was treated.  A nice roast feels like honoring the contract. A Big Mac...not so much.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Az, I wish I had the moral fortitude to be a vegetarian. So many good reasons even beyond doing right by animals, but I am weak. I admit it, and at the very least eat several times less meat than the average, but I can't resist it sometimes. Like Hostess cupcakes.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Dont get me wrong please ! Im not judging anyone, its just how I feel ? My great grandmother owned & ran a farm, pigs, sheep, cereals. Animals were butchered when time came. I just get het up when I hear some daft bint will only wear snakeskin shoes or whatever, Ive seen what animals can go thru in the name of 'throw away' fashion, its sickening ! Ivory poaching is sickening, bear bile collecting is sickening, so cos I feel sick pretty much all of the time, I cant eat the thing thats started it  Laughing ... animals. (dont think I dont miss Gammon, cos I fooking do !)

Things that are making you crabbit! [4] - Page 20 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Things that are making you crabbit! [4] - Page 20 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:58 pm

Don't worry Az. I never took you for judgmental.  
I'm just happy when people are taking the time to think about where their food comes from, no matter what decisions they make.  

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:06 am

I often wish I didn't know where my food came from. And my own uncle raises chickens in drawers, and pigs in metal pens. I don't say anything because it would be ruinously divisive, but I wish he'd jump on the organic free-range bandwagon. Maybe his son will.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:53 am

Yeah, that's a hard one. And not only would it be divisive, it would probably only drive him to entrench deeper into his position.

Us farmers are like that, I've been told.... Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:02 am

i just want to say that the bus-driver is a dick.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:22 pm

I'll be sure to avoid then.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:43 am

I cant eat the thing thats started it- Azriel

Well if you do come up to Scotland for a visit you might want to bring your own veg with you, it doesnt feature highly in the scottish diet due to two factors- the difficulty in deep frying it, and the lack of meat in it.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Is that really you?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Maybe.....

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:23 pm

Mad 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Well you never know, there might be more than one of me- which is as frightening a thought as it is horrific (unless you sell buckie)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Doesn't it say anything on the back of the buckie bottle about looking in the mirror after consumption? Razz 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:25 pm

There isnt room, what with all the health and legal warnings.  Very Happy 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Well, then I'm not surprised you're seeing double.  Laughing 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:13 pm

downloading Photoshop Elements 12. its taking fucking hours. well 2 to be exact.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:26 pm

Just get gimp- its free, just as good and a lot less resource heavy.  Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:15 am

I use GIMP, too. Thumbs Up Granted I'm not a graphic designer, but it has worked for my purposes.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:00 am

I've been using GIMP for years now, and I have yet to hit a point where I think 'damn I cant do that in this program, wish I still had photoshop'.

GIMP comes with the Tyrant sea of Approval for not making me crabbit (and thats a rare thing).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next