Orwell
Ally
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Eldorion
22 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Forumshire passes 100,000 posts - Page 2 Empty Re: Forumshire passes 100,000 posts

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:51 am

I'm very glad that you're with us and still reigning, Your Maj! Very Happy We're coming up on five years since Ady first started the old forum, but it feels way longer to me. We've been through a ton and changed in a lot of ways, but I'm really glad we're persevered. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Forumshire passes 100,000 posts - Page 2 Empty Re: Forumshire passes 100,000 posts

Post by odo banks Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:00 am

Persevered, Lord Eldo? Suspect Or preserved --- Are you feeling a bit like butter spread too thinly... mmmmm?

Some of us are not fooled by appearances... At least, not we Little Forumshirans... No 

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:26 am

You know Odo, Huan can easily pay Little Forumshire a visit...

Forumshire passes 100,000 posts - Page 2 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:49 am

I cannot understane why a dozen or so don't join and stay. Why is that? That is why I am always suspicious of new people here and there, I always think they are Petty or Orwell , and I am nervous to say hi and make a fool of myself while they are laughing uproariously .Suspect 
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:14 pm

I cannot understane why a dozen or so don't join and stay. Why is that?- leelee

I blame Odo. Not for this in particular, just in general Twisted Evil 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Yes I can see that somehow. Seriously though as time goes by I always wonder about all those on the member list and wonder why they did not come back and stay. It is a real close knit group of extremely different people and there is no coldness and distance between people. I don't get it. So come on people give Petty and Orwell a break, come and stay, you will never be disappointed.
Hi Chris and wondering what you are doing.

leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:59 pm

The majority of people on all forums join only briefly and then drift away. But in terms of sockpuppets, the regulars here who engage in them tend not to make much effort to disguise their true identities. And all of our recent new members are real people. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:37 pm

1001 cheers 

(late to the party again, but I have the right to celebrate too! Mad)

Forumshire passes 100,000 posts - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:11 pm

leelee wrote:I cannot understane why a dozen or so don't join and stay. Why is that? That is why I am always suspicious of new people here and there, I always think they are Petty or Orwell , and I am nervous to say hi and make a fool of myself while they are laughing uproariously .Suspect 
There is no "laughing uproarishly" at people here, leelee, as you seem to fear. There is no malice in all this 'sock puppet'* stuff (a phrase I hate because it dulls the magic I fear - the sense of Faery). The effort is always to include folk in the hijinks and games. There are tricks aplenty - but always there will be hints as to the trickery if any folk appear too taken in by said tricks. The idea is to entertain and not belittle. (Any belittling here is only ever mock-belittling. Any real belittling I'm pretty sure would be jumped on quick smart under our Code of Unwritten Rules).

Those who come and stay here - like any other Forum - tend to have a certain sensibility, I think. If you have not got a cetain 'Forumshiran' specific sensibility this place will make little sense to you, while for me - and others, I assume - this place makes perfect sense. Very Happy 

And as to attracting folk - I prefer a small village with occasional new visitors - potential residents - who freshen up the place with their strange new ways and talk. Numbers of themselves mean next to nothing to me. We're not a rat race. Look at Dark Planet. Sheer numbers - in the end - mean nothing. cyclops   

Unfortunately, having to explain all this for me tends to ruin the joke. Oh well. Shrugging

* A 'sock pocket' is not a real person. Like saying Bilbo Baggins isn't real. For shame, Eldo!

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:18 pm

"And as to attracting folk - I prefer a small village with occasional new visitors - potential residents - who freshen up the place with their strange ways and talk. Numbers mean nothing to me." - Orwell

Nicely put, and something to which everyone here will probably agree Smile

Forumshire passes 100,000 posts - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:26 pm

I changed it to 'Sheer numbers', Ringo. Hope that doesn't change anything with you! Shocked 

{{{I actually went back through and put a bit more thought into my last post. Very mature of me, I thought, and very much the Moderator-thingee-to-do-thingee methinks. I did though add a swipe at an old enemy, which might put the lie to any maturity I just claimed! You know, one day I aspire to be as sensitive and thoughtful about others as Eldo is. I don't mean that in a belittling way, mind, and, yet, not in a totally mock-belittling way either. For me there are always at least fifty shades of grey in this place - with or without the sex. Not saying Eldo and I have sex, or that I would like to have sex with him. Nor am I saying I don't want to have sex with him, of course... I think I've said enough for now Embarassed }}}.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:34 pm

I have no intention of finding out what a sock puppet is, Mad  everyone here is real. I mean you'll be telling me next I dont have a sister (I can wish) Evil or Very Mad 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Porgy Bunk-Banks Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:56 pm

You do so have a Sister, Petty! I've even seen her naked - not that that's anybody's business - and if she's not real, nor am I! Mad 
Porgy Bunk-Banks
Porgy Bunk-Banks
Dutiful Consort

Back to top Go down

Post by janesmith Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Eldo is one of those young up-and-about male intellects from the Colonies who thinks he knows just about everything - if not everything! -  but actually, he knows nothing. In fact, the more he knows the less he knows. He's a bit like Socrates in a way. Personally, I sometimes feel that hemlock's too good for him. At other times: not. Rolling Eyes
janesmith
janesmith
Mother Superior: Our Lady of the Anklelength Frock

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:41 pm

I love you Orwell

Mad Jane Smith

{{{Honestly, I oftentimes feel like one of the less "Forumshirey" people around here.  I know I'm generally pretty earnest and a lot of people both here and elsewhere have told me I take things too seriously.  But I'm glad that we're able to have some serious discussions, and since everyone else seems to really embrace the zany aspects (and I do enjoy them even if I sometimes feel out of place), I'm glad we have them. Smile}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:39 pm

You dress up as Japanese cartoon characters and go out in public- that counts as zany to me Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:43 pm

Eldorion wrote:{{{Honestly, I oftentimes feel like one of the less "Forumshirey" people around here.  I know I'm generally pretty earnest and a lot of people both here and elsewhere have told me I take things too seriously.  But I'm glad that we're able to have some serious discussions, and since everyone else seems to really embrace the zany aspects (and I do enjoy them even if I sometimes feel out of place), I'm glad we have them. Smile}}}
{{{Maybe there is a language barrier sometimes between us, Eldo. I don't think of Forumshire as being at all 'zany'. 'Zany' to me is a purely American term peculiar to a certain brand of American 'humour'. I think of Adam Sadler etecetera (boring folk- sorry!) Maybe I have a European perspective on humour and how humour presents itself. scratch

As to being 'earnest', I think you've loosened up over time. But you Americans do seem to have an extra 'earnest' chromosone or two - the one(s) that - presumably - make you take yourselves too seriously. But have confience - we'll cure you in time! You're a good chap after all is said and done - for an American. Very Happy

No, I'm joking really. Halfy and David are Americans and clearly are at home with European nonsensicalness! And you'll relax more fully one day. I promise! - You're probably more relaxed already than you realize - just don't want to admit it to yourself. Why would you be here otherwise? Like Tweedledum (or Tweedledee) said: "That's logic." Nod }}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:50 pm

The trouble with being earnest is blushing when someone mentions Handbags.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Do you mind, Mrs Figg... well, I never... Embarassed 

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Is it just me, or do Americans (as a general rule) like their jokes 'obvious' --- and 'explained' even if 'obvious' --- just in case folk don't 'get it'? scratch

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:19 pm

Touche, Petty. Laughing

Orwell: I can't say I put that much thought into my choice of words. Perhaps it was inaccurate. I do know that I'm a worrier, but I glad that you feel I've loosened up. I agree, and it's a very nice feeling to have. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:40 pm

As to being a worrier, I wouldn't let it worry you. I am one too, and I'm sick of worrying about it. That's why I advise younger worriers to stop worrying about it, as I worry young worriers will be become old worriers like me, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even you. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:53 am

I worry young worriers will be become old worriers like me, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone- Orwell

Well, now you've given him something to worry about! Very Happy 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:08 pm

Orwell wrote:Is it just me, or do Americans (as a general rule) like their jokes 'obvious' --- and 'explained' even if 'obvious' --- just in case folk don't 'get it'? scratch
If you've seen any of the videos on American intelligence you'll understand where we're coming from.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:18 pm

:facepalm:

{{{are the UShobbits on here some sort of special breed that by sheer chance of numbers know stuff? }}}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next