leelee
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Our old posts... Empty Our old posts...

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Taz has said that he has the original phpBB database for the old forum and is willing to give it to us! I just sent him an e-mail requesting the link to the download and after that will try to upload it to the new forum as quickly as possible. I'm not sure how it will work regarding accounts since we all have new accounts now, but I'll keep you guys updated in this thread as I try to figure things out. Smile

http://www.planet-tolkien.com/board/30/4559/0/

Taz wrote:Hi everyone,

We would, of course, like Taz to take giving back our property to heart. That's the one thing where a grudge, sadly or not, must remain. We can't help how we feel. This does not mean we at Forumshire can't still have a bit of (slightly evil but ultimately harmless) fun at Dark Planet's expense while yet still expressing our grudge.

Forumshire sounds like an excellent resource. In response and to show that I am more than willing to give back any property / the old hobbit-movie forum. I have exported the forum's original phpbb database into a compressed file and will hand it over to the members and owner of the Forumshire to do with what they want. Please just send me an email to taz@planet-tolkien.com requesting the link to the download.

Once the old forum has been imported into Forumshire or a different new location, I will proceed to remove all imported posts and members from PT as requested.

cheers
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Our old posts... Empty Re: Our old posts...

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Also, big thanks to Pretty and Orwell for making our case publicly on PT. I'm sorry if I got frustrated with you guys before; I've been having a rough weekend. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:11 pm

"Where there's a Pretty, there's a way"- famous Scotshobbit saying.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:35 pm

I'm trying to figure out the importing data situation now. Forumotion's features page says it can be done but all of the existing threads in their help forum say it can't. I'm trying to figure something out (currently waiting for a response in the help forum), though I'll be out for a good deal later today.

EDIT: An Admin just got back to me saying it isn't possible and he doesn't know why the features page lists it. Sad I'll try to think of another way to get the old posts back up here; I might just revive the Old Forum account.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Our old posts... Empty our old posts

Post by leelee Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Just be strong Eldorion, be a brave Hobbity person and don't give up.
Bilbo did not and look what an adventure he had. When I wrote Taz this morning asking that he perhaps could find a way to give back all you folk were upset about, I did not expect to hear from him for days. And he was so kind and obliging.
Was not that the seemingly impossible happening. I did not plead, I simply asked. You will find a way if there is a way to be found. And as you have been having exams you are tired out.
Try to rest. I shall place my hand on your forehead. there is still a little Elven strength left in me to share with you at any rate.

Last edited by leelee on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks leelee, I really appreciate your support and you talking to Taz. Smile I actually did some asking around and I can probably upload the old posts to a site that belongs to someone I know, so we can at least read them and possibly copy them here (using the Old Forum account) at our leisure. I'm trying to calm down and not rush headlong into anything though. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:08 pm

HOORAY! I will be at long last reunited with the few posts I made under the pseudonym 'Jolly Cotton' before I left, and upon returning months later found that the account had died! (Or something- I couldn't login. I don't know what happened. Mad)

Anyway great news, and luckily Eldo seems to have everything under control! ((( Gotta love Eldo sometimes!))) Very Happy

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:15 pm

"Gotta love Eldo sometimes!"

Yes and all the more suprising with him being a USAhobbit and all! Wink If I could just get him watching Doctor Who he'd be nigh on respectable.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Great news about the old posts Very Happy

Just a bit confused though about this

Once the old forum has been imported into Forumshire or a different new location, I will proceed to remove all imported posts and members from PT as requested.

I know I have missed a lot of this debate and some may not wish to be part of PT, but did we ask for everything to be taken down and our accounts removed? I thought I might keep popping in!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:"Gotta love Eldo sometimes!"

Yes and all the more suprising with him being a USAhobbit and all! Wink If I could just get him watching Doctor Who he'd be nigh on respectable.

Yeah, and with this new American angle the show had taken on, I'm sure he'll be watching in no time at all! (((Well obviously he would still have to watch the length of the episode, plus owing to the fact he is a busy student...I always overthink things, and what's more I continue typing! ARGH! If only the delete key worked...feel free to stop reading this btw. Is the encryption working...hmmm. Mad)

And I'd also prefer it if my PT account wasn't deleted, though as I can't even login to it anymore it doesn't really matter to me. Might want to check on that PT representatives! Smile

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 am

Aaaw, thanks guys. Embarassed Smile Having done a bit of research on this just now, I think the best bet will be to use the privately-owned server space that was offered to me, so I will see about moving the posts there tomorrow or on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be able to get it done fairly quickly - phpBB is pretty easy to use - but I'm too tired right now and I have class tomorrow. Razz I'll updates you guys as soon as something more happens!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:56 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:"Gotta love Eldo sometimes!"

Actually, I was just told today at our cookout (by another USAer, in fact!) that I need to watch Doctor Who. Laughing You Whovians are closing in around me. Shocked
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:58 am

Kafria wrote:

I know I have missed a lot of this debate and some may not wish to be part of PT, but did we ask for everything to be taken down and our accounts removed? I thought I might keep popping in!

I'm not sure if someone asked for that to happen in private, but I don't recall it being mentioned in any threads. I don't mind Taz deleting all of our old posts once they're safely uploaded and backed up elsewhere, but if you want your profiles to be spared then feel free to contact him at taz@planet-tolkien.com Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:04 am

I just checked my e-mail and whaddaya know, someone told Taz about the problems with importing data. I don't think the grapevine communicated that the problem is with Forumotion's restrictions, but he has very kindly updated some phpBB stuff for us and also uploaded everything back to the original site! As far as I can tell it has all of our posts through the last backup of the forum before it was taken down. Taz said he would leave it live in addition to sending the updated database. This is of course very, very cool of him. Very Happy

http://the-hobbit-movie.com/oldforum/

EDIT: We can still log in and everything with our old passwords, even! Shocked I still have my sig, my PMs, and everything else except my avatar there, and Taz said he still had some tinkering to do. I already thanked him repeatedly on e-mail but I think I'll have to do so again next time I sent him a message. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:46 am

So what do we do now? Do we try and amalgamate or do we leave a permanant link? And yes I guess I'll have to get in touch with Taz and say thanks too! Very Happy

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:32 am

This is good news, good news indeed. The Bankses are indisposed at the moment, but I'll pass on the good news! Very Happy

NB love the new leaves and stuff --- I guess it was you Baingil. Niiice! Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Back to copy and pasting is it then folks with the Old forum log in?

"You Whovians are closing in around me."- Eldo

Just the universe and time conspiring to help you Eldo. Listen to the universe its saying "Watch Doctor Who". Really it is.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:52 pm

I was thinking a bit about whether or not we should copy and paste everything over, though I'm not sure it's the best use of our time. In his latest e-mail Taz offered to leave the archive forum he created online, unedited and and on the-hobbit-movie.com, and I'd just as soon take him up on that offer. The formatting is perfect, just the same as it used to be, and trying to merge it with the current forum would be unwieldy since we all have new accounts and new posts and everything.

I prefer reading threads in the archive forum to the Old Forum account, the main benefits of which were fixing formatting issues and preserving threads independently of the PT forums. Since Taz has so generously created a working archive for us that preserves stuff like our original postcounts as well - in addition to providing us with the raw data - I don't think that we necessarily need to copy and paste more. I can leave a prominent link to the archive forum on the main page and I think that will work better for allowing people to browse the old forum. Smile

That's my two cents on the matter, but it's up to you guys, of course!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:56 pm

My only question Eldo, and forgive me if I'm just being ignorant, but will the old forum now show up if people are searching on their browser? We don't want new folks going there instead of here.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:58 pm

That I don't know, but I'm sure that either one of us or Taz could create an announcement of some sort redirecting people to this one, though other than that I would prefer to leave the forum as it was, an archive. I'll ask him about that. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Taz has very kindly put the new URL in the header of the archive forum. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:14 pm

Good stuff. We have a past again! cheers That calls for a celebration. drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Baingil Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:55 am

And, of course, there is no need to ask what the celebration consists of. lol!
Baingil
Baingil
Guest of Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 am

Happy days indeed! I might even get out a duck or two to celebrate!

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm

HORRAY!!! cheers cheers
Drinks all around!

Our old posts... Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next