Pettytyrant101
Ally
Kafria
Norc
Eldorion
13 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Hobbit SPOILER-FREE discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: The Hobbit SPOILER-FREE discussion

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:47 pm

btw, the tuning joke he uses is usually used for lutes.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

The Hobbit SPOILER-FREE discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: The Hobbit SPOILER-FREE discussion

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:50 pm

azriel wrote:sounds like Hobbit names. Wink

I left out racket, rebec, dulcian, cornetto, serpent, viol...

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Well you learn something new every day. (And in my case get pissed and forget it almost immediatly) Thanks Halfy- always good to hear a new instrument- what sort of ensemble was it you played in? Was it all medieval instruments and what did music did you play?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 pm

I started playing medieval/renaissance music in high school and continued through grad school. Even played with the Peabody Conservatory ensemble for several years, playing recorder and Krumhorn.

Early music either grabs you passionately or it doesn't affect you at all. Since I'm always interested in the beginnings and basis of things (very smeagol-like) I was fascinated especially by medieval music, as were many composers of the early 20th century. In fact some music of the two periods are indistinguishable.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Now that the premiere has come and you can find lots of spoilers and reviews online it's time to bump this thread again. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:31 pm

yupp, good idea Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:37 pm

what does bump the thread mean? scratch
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Put a post in it so it shows up again on the main board.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:44 pm

huh? still dont understand. Embarassed
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Its a way of bumping the thread back to the top if you like.
By posting in it when people log on it shows up as a new post- thus drawing attention to a thread that might otherwise be forgotten.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Shrugging its way past my bedtime, maybe thats why I have no idea what your talkin about.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:01 am

Think of a thread as a cosy hobbit hole Mrs Figg. When no one posts the lights are out, and on a dark night you might walk right past it.
'Bumping' a thread means going into the dark hobbit hole, setting a roaring fire in the grate, putting on the lights and toasting some crumpets expecting visitors at the bell.

Did that help or was that just a buckied ramble? I cant tell. drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:58 am

Huzzah! Razz NOW I understand.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:15 pm

And the moral here is- I need to drink more. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Ah... what have we here..... nice safe place to hide. Very Happy

Working hard on avoiding news now, even have to dodge the trailers on the telly.....

Hmmm, Big pink fluffy head phones........ Summer shades on in winter .......... playlist of songs from my youfff....

Might survive now.

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 pm

At least there's only nine days left! Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Not sure how soon I'll get to see it though.

Am having huge amounts of geeky fun in class jumping up and down about hobbit related things nd watching confusion bloom on so many faces. And also spotting those who know exactly what I'm on about!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 pm

me too Very Happy someone mentiones Hobbit and I am all like "WHERE IS MY FELLOW NERDS!!??"
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:00 am

Bumping this thread for Orwell.

Uh ... how about that most recent trailer? Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:30 am

T-16.00 hrs and counting.....
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by MeikoElektra Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:02 am

Pft, you guys need to come over to the fun side. Who doesn't want spoilers? Moon

Twisted Evil
MeikoElektra
MeikoElektra
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Not sure where else to put this, doesn't deserve it's own thread. I like this largely for Sean Connery's quote: "I read the book. I read the script. I saw the movie. I still don't understand it."

‘The Hobbit’ star Ian McKellen’s wizard problems
By Meriah Doty | Movie Talk – Fri, Dec 14, 2012 6:57 PM EST

Two-time Oscar nominee and Golden Globe winner Sir Ian McKellen is unmistakable as the whimsical-yet-wise wizard Gandalf the Grey, now in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." Known among the residents of Hobbiton as that wizard who sets off cool fireworks, Gandalf also lights a fire under Bilbo Baggins' backside, getting him to go on an action-packed adventure with him and 13 rowdy dwarves.

So, discovering that McKellen wasn't the actor who was first approached to take on the role when director Peter Jackson was casting 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" may be a tough pill for fans to swallow. It was famous James Bond actor Sean Connery who was first approached. Connery reportedly declined the role of Gandalf over script concerns -- eventually missing out on what is rumored to have been an extremely lucrative movie deal. (Connery instead chose "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," which lost millions at the box office.) Connery has never officially confirmed that he turned down the role of Gandalf, but he has said this: "I read the book. I read the script. I saw the movie. I still don't understand it. Ian McKellen, I believe, is marvelous in it."

But it's 90-year-old Christopher Lee who can actually claim first dibs on the wizard role. Lee, who plays Saruman in both the "Rings" and "Hobbit" trilogies, was promised the part of Gandalf by J.R.R. Tolkien himself. That was back in the sixties and, unfortunately for Lee, a film project never got off the ground until decades after Tolkein died. Still, Lee remains the only person in Peter Jackson's Tolkien films to have met the famed author and makes a point of reading the books once a year.

McKellen's wizard issues don't end there. He had reservations about reprising his "Lord of the Rings" role for "The Hobbit" trilogy. It was mainly due to the realities of his age, now 73, and knowing the amount of energy it would take to participate in another grueling round of Jackson films -- in which the director is known for his infatuation with capturing reels upon reels of extra footage. Not to mention the fact that he has to ride a horse. But McKellen has said he ultimately didn't want what happened to Dumbledore from the "Harry Potter" series to happen to him. (Richard Harris played Dumbledore in the first two Potter films. The role was taken over by Michael Gambon after Harris died.) "I'd invested too much in the role for someone else to come along and take it over," McKellen said.

Speaking of Dumbledore, McKellen was offered the role after Harris died but declined for two reasons: He thought it inappropriate to take over Harris' role because he had once called McKellen a "dreadful actor," and he felt his own Gandalf character was too similar. To add to McKellan's wizard woes, Gambon has said he gets mistaken for Gandalf a lot. And when it happens, he has joked, he signs the name "Ian McKellan" as his autograph.

Already setting box office records at the outset of the opening weekend of "The Hobbit," something tells us McKellen isn't sweating his wobbly wizard past.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm glad Connery never got the role- he doesnt really act* in that he is pretty much Sean Conery in every role- even a beard couldnt have hid that, it never does.

*there is the odd exception to this-see The Hill- and Outland (ok he is a bit Connery in that last one but its really good).

'the director is known for his infatuation with capturing reels upon reels of extra footage'

Every time I hear something like this about Jackson I substiute- 'doesnt know what he wants and hopes he can patch something together in editing if he just shoots enough different versions of every line to choose from'- youve got to admit it does explain why his films lack a proper thought out purpose start to finish. Rather he seems to change ideas continuously as he goes and the result reflects this.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:57 pm

I don't think it's just him: Ian Holme taught Ian McKellen the technique of providing a different interpretation for each take. It's fairly standard and I wouldn't fault a director for taking this approach. No, PJ's fault is where he does have a good idea what he wants and takes things into extended deviations.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:05 pm

I dunno Halfy- when you watch in the TT extras him 'directing' Viggo in the Golden Hall- I think its the 'war is upon you' line- Pj just gets him to do it over and over- there is no direction being given, he doesnt ask Viggo for anything, just shoots him sayng it and worries about picking one later in the editing squite.
For me these films smack of made in the editing room- one of the reasons it was possible to reedit his LotR's- its just taking the piece apart again and rearranging them.
Its not that easy to do with most films, believe me, Ive tried, and the difference is most films the director has a pretty clear idea of what he wants before he starts shooting.

I suspect Ian Holm gave that tip to Mckellan as a surval tip to working with PJ.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next