I recall a Kong scene that really 'bugged' me Wink

Apologies for the pun.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

HOBBIT TRAILER #1 - Page 9 Empty Re: HOBBIT TRAILER #1

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:25 am

That might have been one of the ones I skipped. I watched Kong a few years ago with my brother but I left in the middle and finished it the next day. I think it was the prehensile sucker-slug-tentacle-vines that were too much for me, so I might not have gotten to the bug part, though that does sound familiar. Thanks, Elthir, now you've gone and destroyed my hope. No Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:18 am

Hmm, I began tongue in cheek... but now even I'm wondering!

I certainly remember a Kong scene with, oh I don't know how many Dinos running and falling with humans narrowly escaping the stampede, but I'm pretty sure there was an overlong scene with big bugs too. And some 'ice sliding' in New York. I don't remember any of these things for good reasons however!

But Jackson's already got large spiders, so there may be hope yet Wink
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 am

Eldorion wrote:
Elthir wrote:I heard Jackson will employ wasps rather than bees, because wasps have attitudes and will provide the tension that films require.

This is actually a change that I don't find to be as likely. While it's clear that PJ will be upping the action and may do that with of Beorn to make him more menacing, I think there's something inherently ridiculous about fighting giant bugs. Maybe it's just me, but when I had to fight giant bees in the Fellowship of the Ring video game I stopped playing because I thought it was so laughable. I certainly hope PJ doesn't go that route.

why change it? Bees are scary as hell, the fact that they are willing to comit suicide to protect there colony makes them really scary. And secondly, no one can tell the difference between bees and wasps.. and wasps doesn't make honey!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:23 am

Norc wrote: Bees are scary as hell, the fact that they are willing to comit suicide to protect there colony makes them really scary.

That's a matter of personal opinion and experience. My grandfather used to keep bees, and I still rent hives in the spring to help pollinate the crop. I have respect for bees. They're very predictable and if you know their rules they're really easy to get along with. Dogs are 10 times scarier because some of them are crazy and they're just simply a LOT bigger and meaner than bees!pale (The dog in your picture looks safe enough though. Good Doggy! Smile )
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:00 pm

well, dogs have their rules and language too, it's just to learn their signs and respect them and so on. for example, when a dog growls it doesn't mean "omg, I will eat your face up and tear it to pieces", it basically means "i don't like you or what you are doing, please stop. I can be dangorous". their are for example hundreds of different ways of barking and they all mean different things, not all "I want to bite your ass of" Wink I am a self-proclaimed dog-expert, therefor the picture xD
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:54 pm

why change it? Bees are scary as hell, the fact that they are willing to comit suicide to protect there colony makes them really scary. And secondly, no one can tell the difference between bees and wasps.. and wasps doesn't make honey!

Well I did add my note as to how Jackson will explain the matter of honey to purists Very Happy

I was only joking anyway, but I think you are right that a lot of people seem to confuse bees (in general) with different kinds of wasps, although they are different of course.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:29 pm

All this talk about Beorn's animals has got me thinking. With intelligent horses, will PJ be able to resist the temptation to add another horse-kissing scene a la Aragorn/Brego in The Two Towers? Twisted Evil
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:30 pm

lol!

HOBBIT TRAILER #1 - Page 9 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Trailer creep out

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/01/hobbit-trailer/
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Well said that person! Nod

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:39 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well said that person! Nod

I second that. The comments that followed were not for him for the most part, but he said the things dearest to my heart. Oh that Peter and Fran and the other lady would just smarten up and quit trashing the essence and honor and integrity of the characters. If only....... Mad
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:01 am

Yep.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:46 am

Was the trailer in 3D,if so did it look good ?
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:26 pm

This is where the Wizard of Oz topic started
David H wrote:
Orwell wrote:How is a brilliant kids movie NOT a cash cow? Toy Story will be selling dvd's (or ipods or whatever) for eternity! Once PJ's cgi gets overthrown, what will be left? Stories last. Great stories last forever. Movies with poor story telling have a definite shelf life. I much prefer watching the Wizard of Oz to LotR. Which had better cgi, or whatever thery did in '33? Which had a solid story line - for kids AND adults? Sheesh! Rolling Eyes

Sure, a brilliant kid's movie from the hand of a brilliant kid's director would be brilliant... but that's not our PJ, is it? All I'm saying is he's playing to his fan base, and by doing so he's guaranteed to pay his bills at the box office and make a profit on DVD sales. Good luck to him, I say. I'm expecting the theatrical cut to disappoint me, being mostly edited for flash-and-bang like LotR's first cut, but I hope he'll put more story back into it for an extended DVD cut (I'm still hoping he follows through on a 25 year edit of LotR and that he hires Petty as an assistant editor).

But don't even get me started on Wizard of Oz. That movie is a COMPLETE BUTCHERY of L. Frank Baum's Oz series, on which I grew up. In 1939 Technicolor was even more of a novelty trick than 3D is now, and what they did to all the characters......and the plot.......and the satire.......... Like I said, don't get me started!
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by The Archet Bugle Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:38 pm

Where did I make comment on the "spirit" of the book being kept tho'? Suspect
The Archet Bugle
The Archet Bugle
Forumshire's Most Respectable Journal

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:39 pm

The Archet Bugle wrote:Where did I make comment on the "spirit" of the book being kept tho'? Suspect

I thought Orwell made that comment, not the Bugle. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:39 pm

Hey yeah! Mad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Dear whoever-you-are (off our medications are we?),

The conversation back on pp. 8-9 was loosely about how PJ would be selling out by making The Hobbit as an action adventure rather than as a children's movie with talking animals and such. See below. I inferred that you were of the same point of view when you pointed to Wizard of Oz as an example. If I was wrong, I apologize.

If your point was just that PJ could make a blockbuster children's movie where every character is introduced with a song and dance like Wizard of Oz, Snow White, Jungle Book (what would Kipling say?), Little Mermaid, Lion King, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, etc. then I'm sure you're right. They could probably even convert it to a Broadway production. Not really my kind of movie, or Peter Jackson's, though affraid

Eldorion wrote:
David H wrote:Agreed, though I think that it's more than mimicking LotR. It's telling the story to the age of his target paying audience. Milking the cash cow, so to speak.

Good point. On the one hand, I think that Jackson could make just about anything and still make tons of money given the goodwill he generated with LOTR. On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past him to still be worrying about how to maximize his paying audience.

I'm OK with that. If I want a kid's version of the story I'll watch the Rankin Bass animated version.

I had really been hoping (forlornly Wink) for a film version of The Hobbit that was a children's story that wasn't sickeningly juvenile to older viewers. Like the book. Or like a lot of Pixar movies. I could go on; there's actually quite a few examples of popular children's fiction with large and profitable adult fanbases. But I suspect that PJ wanted to go with the safer bet, which was aping LOTR for the action/fantasy blockbuster crowd.
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:31 am

My point is... I'll put it on the WoO thread...

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:23 am

Misty Mountain Cold

chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Loved that, but keep imagining the sound much deeper with the dwarves and their playing - that woud be chills worthy Very Happy

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:51 pm

That was a beautiful version of the song. Smile Very haunting. It sounded a bit more ethereal and Elven than it did Dwarvish, but I still enjoyed listening to it a lot.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Eldorion wrote:That was a beautiful version of the song. Smile Very haunting. It sounded a bit more ethereal and Elven than it did Dwarvish, but I still enjoyed listening to it a lot.

"It sounded a bit more ethereal and Elven than it did Dwarvish" --- err... are you trying to tell us you've actually been to Middle Earth, Eldo? Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31 pm

if he has he had better tell me how to get there or else I will be pissed off Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next