Thoughts on the new character, Itaril

+3
Pettytyrant101
Orwell
Old Forum
7 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Thoughts on the new character, Itaril - Page 4 Empty Re: Thoughts on the new character, Itaril

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Eldorion

'I feel it's my duty to whack you repeatedly!'

Is it just me or does that sound ... wrong? :?

'(It was an important part of my upbringing, actually, that's why I'm so well rounded and Wise geek ).'

Were you raised with a literal version of the Board of Education, then? Razz

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the new character, Itaril - Page 4 Empty Re: Thoughts on the new character, Itaril

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Odo Banks

Hey! While I was editing you were replying, Eldo! We were like electronic ships passing in the night! 8-)

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Eldorion

And I edited after you edited while I was replying. Exclamation

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Odo Banks

What amazing confabulations! Shocked

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Gandalfs Beard

Rolling Eyes Laughing

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Tinuviel

Alright, so I guess this Saorise girl will be playing Itaril???? Ok, I guess, she just seems WAY too young... I look older than her! And I never age!

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Jolly Cotton

I'm playing devil's advocate here Tin, but how can a fictional character inside a fictional book appear too young! She can be whatever age want's her to be! But naturally, if the decision had laid at my door, I would have casted you for the role!

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Ringdrotten

If this Itaril crap makes it into the films, I'll jump ship and join the Purists and never forgive PJ or the other writers Mad

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Tinuviel

I'm thinking the same thing Ringdrotten. This is taking it a bit too far....

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Ringdrotten

Indeed. Aragorn and Arwen was ok, but this... what are they thinking? :?

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Eldorion

Someone on another forum pointed out that the latest report doesn't say that Saoirse Ronan will play Itaril specifically, but on the other hand, she's been linked to that role before. And even if it isn't Itaril, Galadriel has already been cast, so there has to be a new role involved regardless. Either way ... this is making me start to relapse into my old cynical ways. Laughing Despite all those interviews where the writers talked about how they realized things worked better when they followed Tolkien's story, I'm afraid PJ might have taken the wrong lesson from the success of LOTR.

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:58 pm

Gandalfs Beard

Rolling Eyes Sheesh guys and gals. It's not like she's going to be in The Hobbit part of The Hobbit, she's obviously going to be in the Elf parts and probably in the extra stuff that goes along with the White Council/Necromancer parts. There's no need to have a cow about it. And anyone that wants to know how it REALLY happened should read The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril thread.

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:58 pm

Eldorion

Maybe this is just me, but I recall there being an elf part in The Hobbit, the book. 8-) If she only shows up in the White Council parts that's some consolation, but I'm still not big on non-Tolkien characters in Tolkien films.

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Pettytyrant101

Some begin to see the light of truth. Your weak and feeble words GB will not now close eyes that have begun to open!

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Gandalfs Beard

Duh! Razz Of course there's an "elf part" in The Hobbit. So what if she's in the elf part? As long as she's not in The Hobbit part of The Hobbit what's the big fat hairy deal? There are more elves than Thranduil and Legolas in Mirkwood you know. It's not like she's going to tag along with Bilbo and the Dwarves. If that were the case, then I would have a problem too.

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:01 pm

Eldorion

Er, what exactly do you mean by "The Hobbit part of The Hobbit", then? :? I had assumed you meant the part covering the story told in the book (as opposed to the added White Council scenes), but now I don't know. However, the section involving Elves also involves Bilbo, so I'm not sure I see the distinction you're trying to make.

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Gandalfs Beard

By "Elf Part" I mean any scene originally in the book or not that involves Elves other than Thranduil and Legolas. For all we know she could be the one with the line about Bilbo on a pony looking "delicious." That line might seem a little less..."Oscar Wilde" in that context (assuming, of course, that Jackson has that line in the script

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Eldorion

If it's a really minor role like most of the Elves in the book I wouldn't mind, but I suspect it will be a bigger role. If the leaked casting call has any validity, at least...

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Gandalfs Beard

If it's a bigger role it will be mostly in the extraneous material anyway. Again, I don't see a problem there. There are no female characters in the book. Jackson isn't just making a film for readers of the book, and he knows he will need a few characters that women can relate to. He's got Galadriel in the White Council stuff, and quite possibly Arwen at Rivendell. It only makes sense that he would have another female Elf or two.

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Eldorion

'If it's a bigger role it will be mostly in the extraneous material anyway. Again, I don't see a problem there.'

Or PJ could increase the time given to the events in Mirkwood and insert the character there. I'd rather that not happen, but it's a possibility that - if the casting call is legitimate - appears likely. For those who don't remember, the casting call (quoted on the first page of this thread) states that the character is a guard to Thranduil, suggesting that she will appear during the part of the story where Bilbo is in Mirkwood.

'It only makes sense that he would have another female Elf or two.'

I can see how it "makes sense" to PJ and the Coven, and for what it's worth I can't say I'm surprised by the decision. That doesn't mean I have to be happy with it, though. Mad Razz

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Gandalfs Beard

Well it makes sense to me. Razz By the way, Bilbo is said to have spent several weeks plodding around the House of Thranduil, invisible, trying to determine how to best free the Dwarves, though the book doesn't drag it out. And they make a strong appearance at The Battle of 5 Armies, though again, the book doesn't drag it out. Yes, I do expect PJ will expand a bit on the Bilbo freeing the Dwarves stuff, and a LOT of expansion on the Battle stuff :mrgreen: . But he's got to fit in all the White Council/Necromancer stuff too, so I don't expect him to go nuts on anything but the Battle sequences (which is fine by me

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Eldorion

How do you manage to keep your optimism, GB? Laughing Razz

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:05 pm

Pettytyrant101

Self delusion, thats my reckoning! Isn't there supposed to be some love interest attached to this character?- if so seems unlikely it will be short or confined to the Mirkwood bit.

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Gandalfs Beard

'How do you manage to keep your optimism, GB? Laughing Razz'

Either I think like Peter Jackson or he thinks like me.

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Forum Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Gandalfs Beard

'Isn't there supposed to be some love interest attached to this character?- if so seems unlikely it will be short or confined to the Mirkwood bit.'

Very likely. Hence the extraneous material. Razz

Old Forum
Reposting Bot

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next