Eldorion
Ally
codie
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

favorite Singer - Page 3 Empty Re: favorite Singer

Post by Hillbilly Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:39 pm

The "Who the hell are you talking about?" wasn't really directed at anyone, just trying to make obvious my American ignorance (probably don't have to work at that though).

I played the last clip you posted Norc, and the song was fine.  What struck me the most though was the beauty of the language being spoken at the beginning.  I could listen to someone speak it all day.  Maybe I should sit in some of your classes for you, of course, my notes would suck.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes that stuff Ringo. I've been on quite the Jennings kick the last year or so, also Zep's Physical Graffiti.
Hillbilly
Hillbilly
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:51 pm

haha, well, i am glad u liked the language, since it's in fact my dialect Very Happy they have a lot of other great songs as well, maybe songs that shows what a great singer she is even more, but i dunno if that's on youtube...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:07 am

I had long been brainwashed with a large portion of (deprived) Americans into believing that country music was sort of the musical equivalent of wonder bread and catsup, until I took a road trip down to Florida all by myself. Much of the time the only radio stations to be found were country, and I discovered that it was perhaps the only popular musical art form left that cared about story telling, and had a gently ironic sense of humor that just didn't come out anywhere else in music.

I had earlier taken a road trip with a thrown-together pack of boyscouts, and we mainly listened to a Willy Nelson tape over and over (I think we had 3 cassettes total), and rather than making me get sick of it I enjoyed it more with every hearing. But it took the second road trip to put all the pieces together and make me a fan of country western in general. And once you've heard Patsy Cline (preferably after a few snorts of whiskey) you are forever changed.

I now look down on those who make snide comments about country music the same way they look down on those they make fun of. They are culturally deprived, worthy of compassion.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:14 am

I have to agree with Hillbilly on the Fjordlandian language. I think the way American's language cortex gets wired, we can't listen to the stuff without grinning - it just tickles us somehow.  I posted a clip of the swedish chef in relation to this before...to us it's pure entertainment, we just get a kick out of it.

Liked the singer.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:17 am

Never listened to Patsy Cline's music, perhaps I should do that Smile Your post made me thing of this song, Halfy. Even if it's a criticism of what Nashville became, it could just as well be directed at people who think country is only for "white trash".

favorite Singer - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:18 am

Country music, folks.   Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:22 am

halfwise wrote:I have to agree with Hillbilly on the Fjordlandian language. I think the way American's language cortex gets wired, we can't listen to the stuff without grinning - it just tickles us somehow.  I posted a clip of the swedish chef in relation to this before...to us it's pure entertainment, we just get a kick out of it.

Liked the singer.  
weee ^^ great!

did u like the song?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:37 am

Ringdrotten wrote:Never listened to Patsy Cline's music, perhaps I should do that Smile

Oh, you've heard her Ringo, you just didn't realize it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:38 am

Strangely Halfwise, that's exactly how we feel about how they talk up there as well. Nod  (Joking, joking. Laughing )

I liked the song, Norc.  Nod  Did you go?

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:39 am

no, why would i go?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:47 am

And here I was thinking Willie Nelson wrote "Crazy"! I liked those songs, Halfwise, though I still can't say I've heard her before Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:51 am

Norc wrote:no, why would i go?

A musical thing happening up where you live, and you said you have certain musical connections. Shrugging Just wondered.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hillbilly Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:02 am

Willie Nelson did write Crazy, Patsy Cline was the first to have a hit with it.
Hillbilly
Hillbilly
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 am

Ah, thanks for clearing that up Smile While we're at it:

This medley was for me the highlight of the concert I went to Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:55 am

Bluebottle wrote:

A musical thing happening up where you live, and you said you have certain musical connections.  Shrugging Just wondered.
no. it was in oslo.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhiannon Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:36 am

One of my favorite singer is, of course, Stevie Nicks. I love her unique voice and the emotion she delivers in her performances. Here's a great version of 'Rhiannon'.

Another artist I adore is Neil Young. He’s such a poet and has written so many great songs. Last year he toured Europe and I saw him live for the first time. I’m so glad that I went to his show. He’s 68 and who knows if I’ll get another chance to see him on stage. Last year I’ve also seen Stevie Nicks together with Fleetwood Mac. She’s 65 now and still looks gorgeous.

But there are many other great singer and songwriters, that I never get tired to hear: Nick Cave, Maria McKee, Alex Harvey, just to name a few. If you like country and Johnny Cash, you may have heard his adaption of Nick Cave’s ‘Mercy Seat’.

Rhiannon
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Completely agree on Neil Young, Rhiannon. Nod  I even posted two things of his earlier in the thread. Don't know if you saw them.

Though I'm not sure he necessarily merits an inclusion in a greatest singers thread.  

Bluebottle wrote:

Bluebottle wrote:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Norc wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:

A musical thing happening up where you live, and you said you have certain musical connections.  Shrugging Just wondered.
no. it was in oslo.

Yeah, I saw that when I rewatched it now. Nod  I should have paid better attention, really.

As I understand your charming exhuburant dialect, I quite liked the little story at the begginging as well.

Quite poignant for a songwriter. Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Rhiannon wrote:One of my favorite singer is, of course, Stevie Nicks. I love her unique voice and the emotion she delivers in her performances. Here's a great version of 'Rhiannon'.

Another artist I adore is Neil Young. He’s such a poet and has written so many great songs. Last year he toured Europe and I saw him live for the first time. I’m so glad that I went to his show. He’s 68 and who knows if I’ll get another chance to see him on stage. Last year I’ve also seen Stevie Nicks together with Fleetwood Mac. She’s 65 now and still looks gorgeous.

But there are many other great singer and songwriters, that I never get tired to hear: Nick Cave, Maria McKee, Alex Harvey, just to name a few. If you like country and Johnny Cash, you may have heard his adaption of Nick Cave’s ‘Mercy Seat’.

I adore Stevie Nicks, I love her style, her dress sense is my cup of tea.  Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
Norc wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:

no. it was in oslo.

Yeah, I saw that when I rewatched it now. Nod  I should have paid better attention, really.

As I understand your charming exhuburant dialect, I quite liked the little story at the begginging as well.

Quite poignant for a songwriter.  Nod 

Laughing yeah... don't tell the fans it's about a witch when they want it to be about drugs Laughing
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hillbilly Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:39 pm

"I was lying in a burned out basement, with the full moon in my eyes"

Yeah, hit a Neil Young patch about ten years ago, hard to get back into it once you're out tho.
Hillbilly
Hillbilly
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhiannon Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi Bluebottle,
Bluebottle wrote:I even posted two things of his earlier in the thread. Don't know if you saw them.

I'm at work right now, and unfortunately all videos are blocked for me. But I will have a look at them later at home. Do you know the Massey Hall recording from 1971? I think with that performance he has earned to be named here  Wink 

Mrs Figg wrote:I adore Stevie Nicks, I love her style, her dress sense is my cup of tea.

Me too, Mrs Figg, I love everything about her, her lyrics, her style, the way she dresses and of course her boots!  Very Happy

Rhiannon
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:15 pm

What I tend to do with artists I really like is to either search out great obscure songs that most people aren't aware or spend some time finding the best versions of songs which often are not so available recordings.

So my favourite Neil Young song would probably be something like this

or this

I do have that lying somewhere, Rhiannon. It's nice. Nod  I do feel that Crosby and Nash harmonies makes his, particularily acoustic, songs really sing. Like On the way home above.

Last edited by Bluebottle on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Norc wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:
Norc wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:

no. it was in oslo.

Quite poignant for a songwriter.  Nod 

Laughing yeah... don't tell the fans it's about a witch when they want it to be about drugs Laughing

Yeah.  Laughing It must feel a bit flattering when your lyrics take on a life of their own like that too though.

She sings really great in that video as well. Nod  I completely get what you were saying.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhiannon Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Bluebottle wrote:What I tend to do with artists I really like is to either search out great obscure songs that most people aren't aware or spend some time finding the best versions of songs which often are not so available recordings.

Hi Bluebottle,
that's what I also like to do. I often prefer demos or live version to the polished released ones.

Rhiannon
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next