Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

+50
Cowley 121
Hillbilly
Anne
Bluebottle
Yavanna
malickfan
Forest Shepherd
Laivine
bungobaggins
Radaghast
RA
jon
Jac Jackson
TheUberNerdyKid
widfara
leelee
Barnamir
irca
Karakehribar
CC12 35
azriel
the truth
Foolofatook
MeikoElektra
David H
chris63
yooper
Monicawang
Kendalf
Lancebloke
Kafria
Turembar
halfwise
odo banks
feanor 1999
Semiramis
Norc
Mrs Figg
Aiglos
Lester Cat
Taniwha
Orwell
Tinuviel
Ally
Amarië
Squach
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
PiP
Eldorion
54 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) - Page 20 Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

Post by leelee Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:35 am

Orwell wrote:Never mind, Carly, I'll do all the work, you just lie back and think of England orwite.

{{{Carly I trust you don't think much of 40 year old men grooming young women, but that it's perfectly okay for 54 year olds...? I'll just assume I'm right... or was that Banned Ally I'm thinking of? Suspect }}}

BANNED ALLY ?
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) - Page 20 Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

Post by Orwell Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:54 am

Oh yes. I did it for 24 hours. (Only Ally seems to have noticed, mind! Shocked Or maybe it was noticed but no one cared! Shocked Or maybe it was noticed and now everyone in Forumshire is jumping at shadows... Cooool... Very Happy ) She deserved it of course --- or at least I felt like doing it and did! Very Happy

That's the trouble when hobbits like me are given awesome Moderator powers, leelee. Yep. People like me tend to misuse and abuse awesome powers. Nod

Ally's due back soon enough though .... and yet maybe I'll ban her for another 24 hours... Twisted Evil Who knows? Tyrants do have their whims you know... cheers

Yours sincerely,
Orwell
Chief Moderator.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Tyrants do have their whims you know.- Orwell

Yes they do. But youre not bloody well one of them! Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by widfara Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Hello folks,

I've just landed and I thought I'd make my introductions.

I've been a Tolkien aficionado for 35 years now; I first read his books at 15 and I've just hit my half century this year.

I was inspired to come here after enjoying PettyTyrant's fine lambasting of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on another forum, so you can see which side of the fence i come down on over that issue.

Mind you, I don't take any of it too seriously.;-)

Regards

widfara
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Welcome to Forumshire Widfara! cheers

Do make yourself at home and have a buckie or two and just dive on into threads- its the best way. Very Happy

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Hellu Widfara, I like your name, does it mean something?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by widfara Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Hello Norc,

Widfara is Old English for "far traveller".

Regards

widfara
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi Widfara welcome, I go to that other site too, I am figgsbane. Very Happy

Norc maybe I am wrong but wasnt Widfara a grey horse in LOTR? maybe I am mistaken.

scratch study
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Welcome to Forumshire, widfara! I'm glad to see that Petty didn't put you off coming here. Razz

Mrs Figg - Widfara was one of the Riders of Rohan in ROTK, if I'm not mistaken.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:44 pm

ah yes, I seem to remember something a bit Rohan Ridery. cool name.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by widfara Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:54 pm

"...I live upon the open Wold in days of peace; Widfara is my name, and to me also the wind brings messages...."

"If you speak truly, Widfara, then may you live beyond this day in years of blessedness!" said Theoden.

I always wondered if he survived the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and did live in blessedness.

I like to think he did.

Regards

widfara
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Got to love that about Tolkien, all those little things, little touches and you never know which ones will resonate with whom.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:00 pm

yeah, I i guessed it meant that, I asked to be sure. It kind of means the same in norwegian. Wid or vid meaning far or wide and fara being quite similar to å fære/fera/fere/ferde (dialects, yey) meaning travel. also it sounds like zu fahren (german) to travel.

actually, Aragorn's rangername, Strider, is (freely) translated to Vidvandre. Vid as in wide as mention and vandre means to wander.
also ranger is translated to ferdamann meaning again travel (and mann=man) Smile

wow.. that turned out guite a bit... :/

I can't really remember a Widfara in LOTR, someone enlighten me, where was it?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by widfara Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:07 pm

He appears just at the end of The Ride of the Rohirrim chapter in The Return of the King, Norc.

That's really interesting about the language correlation.

We also have the word "wayfarer" in modern English meaning the same thing.

widfara
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:25 pm

You sounded almost like a Lore Master there Norc! Shocked

{{Ive been wondering where Elthir has got to, maybe he has been absorbed by some cunning Fjordian magic!}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:36 pm

hey, well, I am a lore master, in my own things...
I'll look for widfara in ROTK ^^
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:37 pm

also, one more funny thing.
Gamling from Rohan. It litterally means old man in norwegian and it is not nice to call anyone a "gamling" so everytime we see the movie we laugh a little.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Well he is an old man in fairness.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:43 pm

yeah, but it still isn't fair to be called gamling. it's like calling someone oldie or somehting.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:46 pm

presumably in the long past it wasnt offensive though was it? And just meant an old man.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:53 pm

is Elthir ffyordlandian too? he is very misterious. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:presumably in the long past it wasnt offensive though was it? And just meant an old man.

naah, maybe not, but no one wanrs to be callled gamling and u don't call anyone u respect gamling.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:56 pm

wouldn't surprise me if elthir was.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:59 pm

yes its probably like calling someone an old fart or old codger or something. not very polite. Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:23 pm

What you talkin' about Willis? Suspect

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next