Tinuviel
Kafria
Saradoc
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

More Hobbit pictures | SPOILER THREAD - Page 2 Empty Re: More Hobbit pictures | SPOILER THREAD

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks for the lore Elthir! In other words a comfortable but boring existance. And a good bit of mining.

As to the new dwarf pictures. I will comment more fully later, for now I'm just going to go sit in a corner, get in my barrel and cry softly into my buckie. Sad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

More Hobbit pictures | SPOILER THREAD - Page 2 Empty Re: More Hobbit pictures | SPOILER THREAD

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:10 pm

I refuse to accept that last picture Shocked What's up with the hunky dwarves? It's not like 14 year old girls are going to go wild over a four foot tall beardie anyway, so why are they even trying? Mad

More Hobbit pictures | SPOILER THREAD - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:26 pm

For the moment I am going to forget about the latest pictures in the hope they will go away and be replaced by two dwarves.
But it did make me wonder about someting, I'm sure one or the other of those two (or possibly both) are among the illfated attempt, led by Balin, to retake Moria.
I wonder if PJ and the Coven at the least regret the complete mess they made over explaiing Moria in FotR or in cutting Gloin and his contribution from the Council and all mention of the other dwarves from the original 13? Just think if he'd done it right how complete it would feel to have the connections between the films as they are in the books- sadly it was not be as the Coven knew better.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:For the moment I am going to forget about the latest pictures in the hope they will go away and be replaced by two dwarves.

LOL! I am reminded of Gollum and the Oliphaunts... didn't Gollum not want them to be Laughing

Here's more: Jackson's Bombur, Bofur and Bifur

http://movies.ign.com/articles/118/1181874p1.html
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:46 am

Except for the wrong coloured beards, and the hairstyle of the dwarf on the far left, I haven't really got a problem with the five dwarves depicted.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:55 am

Bombur looks great at least Very Happy

More Hobbit pictures | SPOILER THREAD - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:57 am

Um, Fili and Kili don't even look alike, one is taller than the other. And they look like midget elves.
Still, Aidan Turner is hot Nod
So he CAN'T be a dwarf!

More Hobbit pictures | SPOILER THREAD - Page 2 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:49 am

More Hobbit pictures | SPOILER THREAD - Page 2 The-ho10
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:58 am

More Hobbit pictures | SPOILER THREAD - Page 2 2589chw

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3-More-Dwarf-Companions-For-The-Hobbit-Bifur-Bofur-and-Bombur-25683.html
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:46 am

Hobbit photo's banned.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/local-papers/the-wellingtonian/5279001/Hobbit-photos-in-Miramar-park-banned
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Whilst I am finding the look worrying enough the character descriptions are making me even more crabbit! Evil or Very Mad

Of Bifur, Bombur and Bofur-"they have joined the Quest for the Lonely Mountain partly to seek their fortune and partly because they were told the beer was free."-
That'd be fine if The Hobbit was a stroy about a Petty Tyrant trying to recover his stolen buckie. As a charcater description for the film I am very worried. And the rest are no better.

"These three brothers, all sons of the same mother, could not be more different from each other. Dori, the oldest, spends much of his time watching out for Ori, the youngest; making sure he's not caught a chill or got himself killed by Wargs or Goblins. Nobody quite knows what Nori gets up to most of the time, except that it's guaranteed to be dodgy and quite probably, illegal. Dori, Nori and Ori are intensely loyal to each other – and whilst they are perfectly happy fighting amongst themselves, woe-betide anyone who means harm to one of these brothers."

I am crying real tears here at where this all seems to be pointing. Crying or Very sad

"join the Company out of a sense of loyalty to their kin, and also because they have a substantial sum of money invested in the venture. " What? They are going to reclaim their stolen inheritance. The journey costs nothing beyond some ponies and some supplies, What investment?

"Gloin is the only other married Dwarf in the Company (there being a shortage of female dwarves in general). His wife is an acclaimed beauty with a particularly fine beard."

I need a Lore check!! But I always thought female dwarves having beards was a JOKE. This is more Terry Pratchett than LotR's.

I feel weak and ill.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: I need a Lore check!! But I always thought female dwarves having beards was a JOKE. This is more Terry Pratchett than LotR's.

That's Tolkien actually. The Appendices to The Return of the King note that other folk could not tell dwarf-women from dwarf-men.

But moreover, later Silmarillion writings (early 1950s or later) confirm that dwarf-women were bearded (see below). And if I recall correctly, while Tolkien was musing about their origins -- in one of these musings at least -- he noted that Iluvatar, adding female kind, would not alter the work of Aule when giving the Dwarves true life (one assumes, not beyond that which was needed for procreation at least), which can explain why both male and female Dwarves look so similar.

For example.

'§5 (...) For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike; nor indeed can their womenkind be discerned by those of other race, be it in feature or in gait or in voice, nor in any wise save this: that they go not to war, and seldom save at direst need issue from their deep bowers and halls. It is said, also, that their womenkind are few, and that save their kings and chieftains few Dwarves ever wed; wherefore their race multiplied slowly and now is dwindling.'

JRRT, The Later Quenta Silmarillion

Last edited by Elthir on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Well what do you know! I think I must have been confused by the excellent Pratchett comment "that dwarf mating rituals largely relvolve around trying to find out in as subtle and surreptious a way possible what sex the other dwarf is under all the leather, armour and beard".
I knew dwarves guarded their females jealously and they were 'alike' but dont remember the beards bit- guess I must have read it at some point.
Still doesnt change the character descriptions being so worrying.
Anything Elthir on what the 'investment' some of the dwarves are supposed to have made in reclaiming Smaugs treasure? And where have they got the idea Nori is some sort of petty theif or other? If he is usually up to something illegal what do they need a burgalar for?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Here's the Appendix quote (just to add):
'They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart.'

At the moment (and without fully checking) I don't recall anything about the investment mentioned, but for instance, the film description adds: 'Along with Bombur, Gloin is the only other married Dwarf in the Company (there being a shortage of female dwarves in general). His wife is an acclaimed beauty with a particularly fine beard.'

While I also don't recall any text noting any female dwarf as an 'acclaimed beauty with a particularly fine beard' I think I would have remembered something like that. I'm guessing some writer thinks this is a humourous bit of fan fiction based on Tolkien.

In general I would not trust these descriptions to necessarily line up fully with the books (not that anyone here is, in any event), and any fan fiction type 'additions' within them will be arguably more confusing if based on something true.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:34 pm

My worry is if the descriptions are from the press release that came with the pictures.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Hmm, that's what I thought was the case -- meaning I thought these descriptions came from someone connected with the films.

Even if so, I don't know what details, if any, might find their way into the actual films however.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:12 pm

When I first saw the pictures yesterday I thought: Oh my God, what the hell are they THINKING?! Then I looked at them again and thought: Well.. their not *too* bad actually, could be worse.

PJ's films are more like a fan fiction alternate universe kind of thing. I am still quite worried about this movie. Will I have any hair left after I've seen it I wonder? At least Bilbo looks right, and by that I mean that he fits in with the other movie hobbits we've seen.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Loving the sig Amarie! (well the first bit of it Wink )

I am equally worried. Especially if the descriptions are from an official press release.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Wink (Still working on the sig.)

Loving your siggy though. I haven't read any Terry Pratchet yet, but after hearing much talk about TP on PT (heh..) I made sure to watch the Hogfather mini-series when it was sent on tv around Christmas. Very silly and yet very intelligent, just the way I like it.

(And yeah... what on earth was going with the descriptions!? affraid )

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Hello Amarie.

Good to see you here, though I greet you with mixed feelings, you belonging to a certain Dark Council and all, one that has banished me from Dark Planet for the crimes (as best I can work out) of (1) complaining, (2) making jokes - some pointed - at Dark Planet's expense, and (3) having some doubts about the opinions and motivations of one of your own. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see you here - and hope you continue to contribute your thoughts, along with your wry sense of humour, for both are very welcome here.

Cheers and beers, I say - cheers and beers! Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Did someone mention beer? drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Mmmmmm.... drunken

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:05 pm

Cheers Orwell. Here's tae yi!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:33 pm

Don't listen to them, Amarie! Mad Unrespectable sorts - both of them! Rolling Eyes Not all of us here are beverage-driven! Mad

Anyway, I for one am I glad to have you here, you being an ambassador from such a respectable Place as Planet Tolkien. Personally, I'm not surprised the likes of Orwell was banished - disrespectable sort, what with his opinions, and views, and speculations, complainings and questionings - disrespectable "leanings" of the worse kind. Exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to get rid of in Forumshire, along with procreation, politics and name calling, and everything that is not friendly to families. You seem just the sort of upstanding person we need here.

Though, if I may make one small complaint, I do detect a certain "taint" of "wry" humour on your part. Now humour is quite acceptable here, but "wryness", "irony", "sarcasm" and "teasiness" are definitely not welcome, at least, not with me. I have high hopes you will be my aid and abettor in the Pursuit of Respectabilty, you being a member of a certain Great Council and all, and, therefore, a person with impeccable credentials; forgetting for the moment, of course, your "wryness", which, with my help, can surely be cured. (I shall seek janesmith's advice on it!)

Welcome, I say. Very Happy

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:39 pm

You know Odo's moralising could put a hobbit off his buckie- lucky I used these old socks of the Gaffers to bung up my ears. 'sniff' 'sniff' whats that smell? Its making my eyes water. Ach bugger it, time for a smoke. Now where did I put those matches.... Extremely Crabbit

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next