halfwise
bungobaggins
Eldorion
18 posters

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Star Wars [3] - Page 3 Empty Re: Star Wars [3]

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:50 pm

malickfan wrote:https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-wars-last-jedi-interviews-rian-johnson-reveals-terrifying-clash-mark-hamill-exclusive-133311278.html

I agree with Mark Hamill Sad

It's funny how Mark Hamil disappeared from the screen (not audio) for decades, and when he comes back he's so offbeat and lovable. He and Carrie Fisher if anything made a better pair in their curmudgeonly old age then when young. It's too bad we couldn't have seen that on screen.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:05 am

halfwise wrote:
malickfan wrote:https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-wars-last-jedi-interviews-rian-johnson-reveals-terrifying-clash-mark-hamill-exclusive-133311278.html

I agree with Mark Hamill Sad

It's funny how Mark Hamil disappeared from the screen (not audio) for decades, and when he comes back he's so offbeat and lovable.  He and Carrie Fisher if anything made a better pair in their curmudgeonly old age then when young.  It's too bad we couldn't have seen that on screen.

I love how blunt and to the point Hamill has been with his views/criticisms/insecurities about returning to the role, such a genuine, charismatic guy, always great with the fans, he was excellent in TLJ and has a fine body of voice work behind him, shame he didn't get the kinda of career Harrison Ford got.

Spoiler:

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:08 am

I have a feeling Petty will dislike it even more than I did, when can we expect a drunken crabbit review? bounce bounce bounce

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:03 am

So I just got back from seeing TLJ tonight. I was an idiot and accidentally bought tickets to a 3D showing and right before the lights were dimmed this really obnoxious couple came and sat next to me and were giving a running commentary to each other throughout the movie, but despite that I really enjoyed the film! I knew from things I'd heard over the past few days to expect the unexpected and, well, there was a lot of unexpected. Razz I would have to think a lot longer about it to decide how I feel about the film's place in the overall Star Wars universe. But OTOH the overall Star Wars universe has never been the main attraction to me. The original trilogy has a very evocative setting and milieu and of course was revolutionary in terms of the used future aesthetic, but I'm not as interested in the nitty gritty worldbuilding details as I am with some other SF/F epics. That TLJ avoided any really immersion-breaking moments like the Starkiller Base destroying all those planets in TFA (just ... no, for so many reasons) puts it ahead on that front. That said,

Spoiler:

But yeah, taking TLJ as its own film I thought it was really good. It was a little unwieldy at times and because there was so much going on some of the subplots got rushed, but the visuals were fantastic...

Spoiler:

...and for the most part I enjoyed what they did with the characters. Unlike some people here I actually thought Kylo Ren was one of the better parts of TFA; complaints that he was whiny and not actually badass seem to miss the fact that that's the entire point of his character. He's not Vader, even though he desperately wants to be. It's actually fairly reminiscent of the treatment of Anakin in the prequels, especially AOTC, except actually executed really well. I think his development in TLJ is one of the highlights, perhaps the main highlight for me. However, I recall hearing some time ago about Mark Hamill disliking how they wrote Luke in this and I can certainly see why. TFA showing that Han and Leia's relationship hadn't worked out so well arguably undercuts the happy ending of ROTJ but it makes sense in light of the characters. Luke's development here ... I dunno how believable of an evolution I find it. That's one of the things I'd have to think about more. But I think the way they handled him here works really well for this specific film, and Hamill's performance was excellent.

I really enjoyed Rey's turn here as well and I don't want to shortchange her but I have a headache (possibly in part from the 3D Razz) and don't want to keep going on too long. Razz I liked Finn's subplot but I would really like to see him get to interact more with the other main characters in Episode IX. Poe's subplot was IMO the weakest of the main three but I still really like the character and it's fun to see him.

Anyway, I found TLJ to be a really enjoyable film the first go-around and I'm sure that it will stick in my mind for some time to come. I'll most likely see it again at some point in the next month when the rest of my family goes, but I wanted to see it opening weekend one way or another. Now to read everyone else's posts here and other places I've been avoiding this week due to spoilers. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:41 am

Malick mentioned the humor and while I'm glad that it was a smaller part of the film than in TFA it did at times feel a little out of place. The percent of jokes that made me at least crack a smile was pretty good but that could in part be due to general opening weekend excitement.

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:24 am

Yeah, laughter comes easily in a crowd.

I'll get around to seeing it soon! Then I can click those spoilers.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Hope you enjoy it Forest, or if not, at least enjoy being crabbit about it afterwards. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Ok, I felt obligated to see this, unfortunately. And I feel obligated to write down my thoughts to try to work out how I really feel about this.

After hitting up the ATM I almost got back in my car and drove home. I went to the theater anyway; if I put it off any longer I'm not going to have anything to talk about because it seems like everyone else in my life is seeing this. The matinee was only five dollars, what did I have to lose, but my Christmas cheer.

The movie is too long, the pacing is very slow. Characters new and old are wasted, some literally done away with before they're given a chance to shine.

The same problem with Rey's character persists: she never fails. I haven't seen any real growth with this character from either movie apart from one day she can magically use the force and is somehow an excellent pilot.

Spoiler:

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 pm

It's too bad i'm entirely too busy to see this for another week at least. At least here people are using spoilers, but it's beginning to leak out on media stories.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:28 pm

I guess the theme of the film could be seen as "moving on" but how could it be that if

Spoiler:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Bugger. I didn't mind clicking on GoT spoilers but all I can do here is look on wistfully.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Eldorion wrote:

Spoiler:

Ok I'm going to add this to my list of things I liked, but purely from a visual perspective.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Come on Halfy, just read the spoilers. :brows:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Banghead

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:41 pm

You might even feel better going into the movie knowing what will happen. That helps some people enjoy it more, especially those prone to crabbit. Shrugging

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 pm

That's the way I dealt with Game of Thrones, but in that case I knew what the general arc of the story would be anyway. Here I don't really know. I'm trying to keep it that way.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:46 pm

bungobaggins wrote:You might even feel better going into the movie knowing what will happen. That helps some people enjoy it more, especially those prone to crabbit. Shrugging

I already knew a few of the spoilers that pissed off a few of my friends (and in a couple of cases annoyed me as well) I wasn't overly keen on the film, but knowing a few things beforehand made me adjust my expectations accordingly

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:48 pm

I successfully avoided any specific spoilers but having a general warning that the film wouldn't entirely fit my expectations for a Star Wars film was helpful, I think. I don't think that having been spoiled on specific details would have ruined the film for me though. Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:51 pm

Eldorion wrote:I successfully avoided any specific spoilers but having a general warning that the film wouldn't entirely fit my expectations for a Star Wars film was helpful, I think. I don't think that having been spoiled on specific details would have ruined the film for me though. Shrugging

Well, we know from experience with a certain Peter Jackson trilogy that even knowing tonnes of plot or character spoilers beforehand doesn't necessarily mean you'd be more accepting or forgiving of the film....

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:52 pm

True that. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:54 pm

I have to agree with Bungo on the score, I can't remember any stand of the music, a first for a SW film and John Williams score, TFA had at least three great tracks with Rey's Theme, Jedi Steps and March Of The Resistance

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Honestly...after just a single viewing I actually think I enjoyed The Holiday Special more than The Last Jedi, obviously The Last Jedi is a much better and more competent piece of work but it didn't move me much on a emotional level and swathes of the film bored me, the Holiday special was a one of a kind clusterf*ck of hilarious weirdness that kept me gripped in dumbfounded amazement thoughout.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 pm

I think I remember hearing the First Order theme. Something seemed familiar about it, sort of structured the way the Imperial March was, but it was gone after about five seconds.

The music is definitely not a character in these movies the way it was the in the Lucas films. More incidental than leitmotif.

Wow! That was John Williams?! Yikes...

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:30 pm

I remember feeling John Williams had fallen off his stride after The Force Awakens.  I actually didn't remember any of them exiting the theater.  I may have to rent it and see if it strikes me on a second go round.

Without John Williams at his best any of the Star Wars films are a pale shadow of themselves.

Edit: went online and dug up Rey's theme.  Feels like music for a christmas special.  Doesn't stick in the head really.

Edit2: listened to Jedi Steps and March of the Resistance.  Background music really.  No hook.  Our beloved JW is washed up. Sad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next