halfwise
bungobaggins
Eldorion
18 posters

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Star Wars [3] - Page 16 Empty Re: Star Wars [3]

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:25 pm

I'm not saying they've always gotten worse, but when super mario was the top of the heap, I'd call that more of a regression. Then for years all you could do was go through mines and kill monsters - which was better than Super Mario, granted, but not good enough to pull me back in. Yes, technically it was still shooting tanks, but the abstract purity was gone. You got the feeling that the monsters popped out of nowhere, not that there were actual tank bots trying to maneuver their way to box you in, so you could outmaneuver THEM. No, these monsters just seemed to spontaneously generate, removing the sense of strategy.

I'm sure it's much better now, but I was gone decades ago.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:32 pm

{{ Not sure what youve been playing Halfy! But games have been in many, many diverse genres since the start- shoot em ups, beat em ups, platformers, rpg's, adventures, exploitation, survival, puzzles, strategy, sports and many more categories of game- all entirely different in mechanics and gameplay. Playing an open world game like Skyrim which is a great big sandbox world where you can explore and have your own unscripted adventures is a totally different experience say than a strategy game like Total War where youre recreating historic battles or a sports game like Maddenor FIFA. They are nothing alike in content, gameplay, skill sets anything else. And thats always been true of gaming since it began.}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:50 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

Lance- seen first 3 eps so far, and so far thought it was pretty decent- nothing earthshattering nothing offensive either. As to Critical Drinker, he needs to check his buckie mix these days as Ive rather gone off him as he has got more ranty and far less objective or even critical for that matter. Might have to change his name to the Not Very Critical Whiner.

Be interested on your thoughts once it is done. I have very mixed feelings about it all. Some really great bits and some horrifically awful bits!

Re Drinker.... i thought he was just being crabbit as all Scotshobbits should be?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:51 pm

halfwise wrote:Space invaders is VERY early.  I'm talking about what came a decade or so later.  The early games were good.  The later D&D type games, naw.  Got no interest in playing Tomb Raider.

What kind of games would interest you?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:54 pm

{{ Lance- Oh hes got the crabbit ok, but got to be careful with crabbit you dont nurture it and use it right it can turn into something else. But the biggest most immediate danger of a crabbit rant is you actually forget to do the crabbit bit properly, which has been his problem of late for me, and then all you are left with is a rant, which anyone can do, even an Englishman!  Very Happy  }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:02 pm

Look up a free game called Bolo. Tank game on interesting islands, building forts, laying mines, collecting resources. You see a map around every pillbox you plant, so can occasionally catch your opponents at work. Very intellectually stimulating, no need to hog resources by creating a movie type environment.

There's another tank game I can't recall the name of, if not playing against an actual person the game would create robotanks, with an actual existence that you could track down (though they normally come after you). Again many games have that, but it feels more like things are popping up out of thin air rather than having a real existence.

Yes, there's plenty of games around like these now, but they are never the popular ones, at least as far as I can tell with my limited toe dipping.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:15 pm

{{ Sounds like your basic Command and Conquer style game to me- theres thousands of them, its a very popular genre always has been called RTS (real time strategy). First of that type I can remember playing was North and South (based on a Belgian comic about the US civil war of all things) and a little later the first of the Command and Conquer types with Dune, based on the book and the Lynch film. The games Lance not so long recommended to me, and quite right they were excellent were RTS.

Plenty of those sort of games- heres a bunch coming out soon- }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:04 pm

I like the Trying to Argue with Petty Simulator. Here's a good guide to the gameplay:

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:05 pm

Here's a speed-run, with music!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:18 am

{{ Always up and drunk enough for a pointless back and forth- gives the place a semblance of being busy at least! }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:44 am

Yeah. Preeeeety quiet other wise. Although when the show finally comes out I expect an essay from everyone each episode. Very Happy

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:06 pm

Laughing but is there a correct way to argue with Petty?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:14 pm

{{ drnkenly and with acceptance of inevitable defeat at the hands of crabbit logic before you begin, saves time Twisted Evil }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:47 pm

Aside from being related to Star Wars you'll understand why I posted this around 1:30. Laughing

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:27 am

Like the look of this.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:10 am

That came out of nowhere....

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:21 am

Starts in August on Disney plus.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:03 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:59 pm

So has anyone seen it?  It looks so good and gets great reviews, but nobody is watching it.  Fortunately Disney seems to think it may have a Firefly situation on it's hands so decided to fund a second season.  I may have to tune in. One thing I like about the article below: it says plainly Rings of Power is dreadful, and wonders why people will watch that instead of the much more intelligent Andor.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/andor-flop-star-wars-standards-124125850.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:10 pm

{{ i dont have disney+ so not seen this yet, but my mate Nagual started watching it and gave up after about 3 episodes- when I asked him about it and about its premise being about the Rebellion in its early days he was surprised as its such a slow burn the whole rebellion thing hadnt even come up yet! (and hes not opposed to a slow burn show he is a big fan of the Expanse) but his main complaint seemed to be it felt aimless in its early episodes, just fairly dull stuff happening to fairly dull people in a fairly dull place with no evident point or direction to the narrative. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:06 pm

hmm....to much setup too slow. Almost the opposite of Rogue One made by the same people - the complaint there was it was hard to follow at the beginning (though it stands up on repeat viewing). They may be overcompensating.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:35 am

This shows getting really good. Even Andy Serkis is in it.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:38 am

{{ my mate Nagual who had given up after first 3 eps decided to keep watching to see if it improved, his conclusion was you could actually ignore the first 3 episodes and nothing would really be missed or needed and that it felt like a different show from episode 4 onwards, he messaged me yesterday to say- 'Just watched ep 10 of andor. Over all I'd say it was good. Really liked the feel of it. gritty, hard, down to earth. Last few eps have been spot on.'

So now its back on my 'check it out' list! }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:05 am

I heard a lot of people say that. Starts off slow and a bit boring but by the end of the series it is actually quite good.

Haven't had a go myself but probably will do.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:04 pm

I don't mind a slow setup if it's something I care about and it's well done.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next