The Desolation of TV News - Page 4 Empty Re: The Desolation of TV News

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 10, 2018 11:48 pm

(sorry, petty)- Ringdrotten

{{And so you bloody well should be!! Mad }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri May 11, 2018 3:07 am

Bloody well shouldn't be neither! Mad

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri May 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Oh, dear God.. you just know that if Amazon were interested in making something slightly interesting, the last person they would look at after the Hobbit was Jackson. It cannot be understated, the disaster the Hobbit was quality-wise, and the disaster it should have been for his reputation.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat May 12, 2018 12:14 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 12, 2018 12:58 pm

To quote a commentator from long-lost Bree:

"Incoming Petty in 3.....2.....1...."

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:. Though I must say, I rewatched RotK the other day. Still an absolutely fantastic movie in my view (sorry, petty), and still one of my favourite go-to movies (that goes for the whole trilogy) when things are shit. How he could have botched The Hobbit so thoroughly is still a mystery to me.

Not a mystery; he was rushed into it. He and Fran had years to think about LotR, went through and discarded a lot of shit ideas. There was no time for this filtering process with The Hobbit.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat May 12, 2018 6:20 pm

That list was, to borrow a phrase from Bakshi's dubbed-over Gollum: terruhbllle.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 12, 2018 7:48 pm

"Incoming Petty in 3.....2.....1...."- Halfy

{{I've only made it as far as no7 on their list so far before my first full explosion of crabbit rage made me stop for buckie! Extremely Crabbit Banghead  }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat May 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Yeah, well, I got to number 5 & then I said feck you.

The Desolation of TV News - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Desolation of TV News - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm

https://twitter.com/theoneringnet/status/996822027343310848

[BREAKING]We have confirmed from multiple sources that @AmazonStudios new billion-dollar #LOTR series will open its first season centered on a young Aragorn.

Firstly, we must stamp out any remaining confusion:

From the first press release, we know this so-called #LOTR series will NOT be a retelling of the events of the War of the Ring. #BeenThereDoneThat

Instead it will be Appendices based and cover a lot of time and history.

Full Twitter thread includes speculation on what might be covered.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Sort of as expected, and not a bad move. We get to see Gondor, Rohan, Harad, the northern kingdom, an exploration of Ranger culture. Unfortunately the only 'big event' that happens during this time is the destruction of Dol Guldur, but he'd be a young lad then anyway.

I'd have preferred an earlier period of Gondor or Arnor, but using Aragorn is a safe link for non-geeks.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Yeah, this definitely isn't going to have anything to do with Dol Guldur.

The biggest action set piece they could adapt from the Appendices would be Aragorn's raid on the Haven of the Corsairs, which I would honestly like to see, but I'm sure they'll come up with plenty else besides.

Appendix A wrote:Thorongil often counselled Ecthelion that the strength of the rebels in Umbar was a great peril to Gondor, and a threat to the fiefs of the south that would prove deadly, if Sauron moved to open war. At last he got leave of the Steward and gathered a small fleet, and he came to Umbar unlooked for by night, and there burned a great part of the ships of the Corsairs. He himself overthrew the Captain of the Haven in battle upon the quays, and then he withdrew his fleet with small loss. But when they came back to Pelargir, to men’s grief and wonder, he would not return to Minas Tirith, where great honour awaited him.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Big question: will they ignore the flim's premise that Aragorn didn't want to be king? I think they'd have to, for Elrond's restriction that Arwen would marry no less than the King of Gondor United is what drove all his adventures.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Depends on how much they want to rewrite. Should they choose to follow the films' characterization instead they could pick a different motivation for Aragorn's decision to fight against Sauron (not like there's a shortage of plausible reasons).
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 pm

I wouldn't call it a rewrite so much as an unwrite. The movie was a rewrite.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm

{{There a lot they will have to ignore from the films and PJ I hope! Like all of it- otherwise Aragorn will meet a dick insane young Denethor with no redeeming qualities, the hobbit screws up all the time line for what is happening in Minas Tirith/Mordor anyway so none of that would line up- and if Aragorn goes to Minas Tirith I want it to look Mediterranean, and I want farms, I want the bloody Pelannor Fields to have some fucking fields in it!!!! Mad I want none of PJ's mistakes repeated for the sake of being consistent with PJ's mistakes!  Mad

Besides the whole thing is fan faction anyway- Tolkien ever vaguely outlined Aragorns younger years, vague in the sense of turning it all into plots, sub plots, characters around him, dialogue- you know all the stuff you actually need. So will they modernise the dialogue- do what PJ did and modernise it (inan ugly fashion) then without explanation suddenly drop full Tolkien quotes in there jarring with everything else?
PJ and co couldn't write in Tolkien's style for shit - "I might have anything down my trousers" - I need say no more! Evil or Very Mad I have little hope this new production, having to make up almost every word, will fair better. Especially when dealing with an author who choose subtle differences in language style to use for different people and races in order to give the impression of separation of languages, similarities of language and even as indications of status and class- you cant just write like Tolkien- its not a matter of imitating style, its a matter of knowledge of language and intuitive use of it that comes from a life time of study and interest.

They should do LoTR's as a tv show on the basis it hasn't been done before- hell the first few episodes alone could contain more material that was not in the films than anyone saw- all the Crickhollow and move stuff, Farmer Maggot, Pippin not being happy at missing the best  beer in the farthing at the Golden Perch, Fatty Bolger, the Old Forest, Bombadil and the Barrow Wights- all new if the viewer only knows PJ's truncated rubbish.

What people really want is not made up fan rubbish- they want more LotR's- people always want more of what they already like- and lucky for them there is actually lots more LotR's PJ never showed them or understood. So just make LotR's you bloody numpties Mad - just do it right and most of it will be new to people- including the overall message which Pj fucked up!  I shouldn't drink whisky, really lets the crabbit out! On the otherhand, so golden, so pure..... drunken }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu May 17, 2018 5:14 pm

So true....

The Desolation of TV News - Page 4 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Desolation of TV News - Page 4 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat May 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Difficult to read Petty, but I agree with most of your rant.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 19, 2018 9:20 pm

ust do it right and most of it will be new to people- including the overall message which Pj fucked up!

So what do you think is the overall message, Petty?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 19, 2018 9:29 pm

{{The same one Tolkien gave when asked- mortality, its a story about death, about passing, about endings }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat May 19, 2018 9:55 pm

"The artist is dead."

I think it's ultimately about sentient foxes.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 19, 2018 10:05 pm

Petty - that's not a message, it's a theme.

Forest - that fox and Bombadil were in cahoots, that's for sure.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 20, 2018 12:50 am

that's not a message, it's a theme.- Halfy

{{Doesn't matter what you call if it if you completely fuck it up like PJ did!  Mad  The important take away here is that he fucked it up not 'what's the best word to describe what he fucked up'!  Mad  }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun May 20, 2018 1:04 am

I have a more sinister theory involving a malevolence at work behind the scenes, so to speak, Halfy. Perhaps this "fox" does more than just spy on sleeping halflings. It is called the Red Book, after all. From whose perspective are we really seeing things?

And anyway, there are foxes with coats of more colours than just red and white...

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 20, 2018 2:00 am

I knew there was something fishy about that fox!

I think a Twin Peaks style miniseries could be built around the sinister backstory of the fox and his relations.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next