odo banks
Saradoc
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Admin
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Welcome to HobbitMovieForum.com! Empty Welcome to HobbitMovieForum.com!

Post by Admin Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Given that the consensus of just about everyone who posted in the discussion threads about a new domain name, we have migrated to a new location: HobbitMovieForum.com! All links to the old URL - hobbitmovie.forumotion.com - will now redirect seamlessly to the new location. Furthermore, the name "Forumshire" has been added to the forum title. This should help our search engine status and hopefully bring us more new members. Smile

Thank you to everyone who contributed to discussions and who donated, and welcome to the new location of Forumshire! cheers
Admin
Admin
Administrator

https://www.forumshire.com

Back to top Go down

Welcome to HobbitMovieForum.com! Empty Re: Welcome to HobbitMovieForum.com!

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Nice- so does that mean I dont have to redo the ad or anything- anyone going to the old url will come here?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Can we do anything with the layout Eldo? Thinking a fancy title at top, or a background image. Reckon I could knock something suitable up if so, our a few alternatives for folks to pick from.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Nice- so does that mean I dont have to redo the ad or anything- anyone going to the old url will come here?

That is correct. Very Happy If we're trying to raise awareness it'd be nice to have our new URL but it's not at all necessary. Smile

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Can we do anything with the layout Eldo? Thinking a fancy title at top, or a background image. Reckon I could knock something suitable up if so, our a few alternatives for folks to pick from.

The forum is running phpBB via Forumotion and we're currently set to the default phpBB theme. I can change the color scheme and make some edits (such as the image in the upper-left corner, which you might notice changed earlier today) or I can select from a defined list of other themes, but I don't think I can completely customize the forum design. There's probably room for a fancy title at the top (as an image) though, depending on what you had in mind. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Well I could do something like have the Forumshire title with peoples Avatars popping out from behind it. Off the top of my head. Or a simple Shire like landscape with Forumshire on it. Being looking for an excuse to try Adobe Illustrator. But if anyone has any suggestions do say.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:15 pm

I've always liked forummotion- they really do offer room for a lot of customization (you can change the topic icons, edit the menu, add a background, change the colour style, the width of the header, the CSS style) which is probably the best I've seen of a free forum host. Of course the theme is still an edited version of someone else's (though you can code your own theme and upload it to their theme directory. I've never tried to code a theme for any version of PHPBB, though I've done a few with MYBB + SMF, but for a person with reasonable knowledge of HTML, CSS and image editing I imagine it isn't that hard!)

HobbitMovieForum.com is also the domain I would have voted for, if I had indeed voted! Indeed when I visited the old forum as ol' Jolly I often typed in that by mistake! Sorry I didn't donate anything- I'll donate over the weekend ready for the renewal!

I remember on other sites I've visited they've had logo competitions, and the logo (as long as they are of a good enough quality naturally) get rotated around! Then for special occasions such as religious holidays they have a special logo! That would be so cool! (No pressure though Eldorion, just pitching a few ideas y'know?!) Very Happy

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Those would be ME religous holidays I assume!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Excellent thought, Mr Tyrant (and quite surprising, seeing it's coming from you), but why not seek out the Illuvataran religion side of things? You know, Illvataran Festivals, and Sunny Days of Eru Worship... I seem to have forgotten when they fall, or, indeed, what they are.

Mmm... we don't have churches in Forumshire as far as I know. We just have festivals... Perhaps our Loremasters (Eldo and Elthir) could help here. Obviously, we don't have enough Middle Earthern religiousity in our little land, (to judge by the patent lack of respectability here), and something might be done about it. Well done, Mr Tyrant for thinking (for a change). Very Happy

As to you, Saradoc, I hope you don't plan to advertise any "foreign" religious events in Forumshire? There was a Lore Master, by name Tolkien, who never tried that kind of thing - and hopefully he and his legacy might be respected, even by the unrespectable and disrespectable sorts here!

Here to help! Very Happy

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:11 pm

'foreign'? I thought Odoismas was a universally recognised religious holiday in forumshire? For that is what I was indeed referring too. I may have gotten that wrong actually. I know the holiday was named after an old member of Forumshire in times gone by....Berenmas? No that doesn't sound right. Chris1mas? Yes, I think that's it!

But are there any forthcoming festivals? Maybe a music one perhaps? And if there isn't one, could I perhaps organize one in my backyard? Or does it have to be a religious festival...? Smile

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:12 pm

(And oh, feel free to congratulate me on that brilliant build up on my last post! Very Happy )

Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:33 pm

Chris1mas!? Sad Poor old Chris ---- got left behind, you know... when a certain planet engulfed Old Forum. Miss him still... lost... I hope he still exists somewhere... Good ol' Chris... Always one with a well placed youtube link or similar (none of which I approved of, but all of which I miss!) Sad

.. and shouldn't that be Odomas? Odoimas sounds awkward - unless you're referring someone else? A God or Hero called Odoi, perhaps? (Could exist, "Odoi", probably in the Silmarillion, I'd hazard. Not something a humble Forumshire hobbit would know anything about).

(Mmmm.... another WHOLESOME TALE, I wonder? THE TALE OF ODOI THE BLUE? Bears considering... Hang on, what about Ódoí - that looks more Elvish! Very Happy )

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:45 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Well I could do something like have the Forumshire title with peoples Avatars popping out from behind it. Off the top of my head. Or a simple Shire like landscape with Forumshire on it. Being looking for an excuse to try Adobe Illustrator. But if anyone has any suggestions do say.

I was experimenting with a few ideas like that, but I had to go out earlier so I didn't have time to make anything I liked other than the current black text. I'm not entirely pleased with that, but I wanted something customized to be in the header since we have our own domain name now. I'd love to see any ideas you come up with, especially something reflecting The Shire, it just needs to be small enough to fit in the header (274x55 pixels). Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Saradoc wrote:I've always liked forummotion- they really do offer room for a lot of customization (you can change the topic icons, edit the menu, add a background, change the colour style, the width of the header, the CSS style) which is probably the best I've seen of a free forum host. Of course the theme is still an edited version of someone else's (though you can code your own theme and upload it to their theme directory. I've never tried to code a theme for any version of PHPBB, though I've done a few with MYBB + SMF, but for a person with reasonable knowledge of HTML, CSS and image editing I imagine it isn't that hard!)

I'm still familiarizing myself with all the details of Forumotion's customizability since I hadn't seen much need to look into it before, but it looks (and by the sound of your post is) very nice. Cool A cursory search of their help forum suggested that personal themes weren't usable, but I didn't look for very long.

I remember on other sites I've visited they've had logo competitions, and the logo (as long as they are of a good enough quality naturally) get rotated around! Then for special occasions such as religious holidays they have a special logo! That would be so cool! (No pressure though Eldorion, just pitching a few ideas y'know?!) Very Happy

I think that's a great idea! Very Happy Hopefully we can find some nice thematic logos, perhaps for the Christmas holidays, although I would focus on getting a 'standard' logo first. Smile

NB Thanks for your support with the change!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:14 am

First attempt;

[img]Welcome to HobbitMovieForum.com! Logo2[/img]

Thoughts? The size restriction is a bugger, its really small!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:30 am

Second go (and sorry if your avatar is not in there- rooms a problem and not all are suited to this sort of thing- certainly nothing personal so please don't be offended if you're not there!)

[img]Welcome to HobbitMovieForum.com! Logo3[/img]

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Second go (and sorry if your avatar is not in there- rooms a problem and not all are suited to this sort of thing- certainly nothing personal so please don't be offended if you're not there!)

[img]Welcome to HobbitMovieForum.com! Logo3[/img]

Awesome Very Happy

Welcome to HobbitMovieForum.com! Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:12 pm

That looks awesome, Petty! Very Happy Let's give it a try and see how people like it. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks Ringdrotten. Very Happy Looks good Eldo!!!

Thought I'd try to add more avatars and gave a yellow typeface a try. Your choice which to go with Eldo. Very Happy

[img]Welcome to HobbitMovieForum.com! Logo4[/img]

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 pm

I like the avatars idea, though too many might make it look cluttered. Still, the more we have to choose from, the better choice we can make. Thanks for using your awesome image-editing skills for this! Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Nothing if not community spirted we Tyrants. Well spirited, well we drink spirits, same thing.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Baingil Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:36 pm

A banner submission of my own. Very Happy

Welcome to HobbitMovieForum.com! Shire
Baingil
Baingil
Guest of Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:41 pm

OOOh thats lovely Baingil. It gets my vote.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:43 pm

I love your banner too, Baingil, especially the font! It feels very LotR-ish to me. Razz And I think I like the simplicity of the design. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:47 pm

The fonts very nice- I just used yours Eldo for expediency (to be honest I hadn't expected you to actually use it, I was just throwing stuff out there). No reason of course why we can't cycle banners every so often to keep things fresh.

What font is it Baingil? As Eldo says its eminently suitable.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Baingil Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:51 pm

It's Kelt, I found it at this website. The Aniron font is pretty good, too.
Baingil
Baingil
Guest of Eagles

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum