halfwise
bungobaggins
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Norc
19 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Just...................whatever [6] - Page 21 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [6]

Post by Bluebottle Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:51 pm

Just...................whatever [6] - Page 21 10365831_1207258909329581_2691092109382972772_n

Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Just...................whatever [6] - Page 21 Empty Re: Just...................whatever [6]

Post by Bluebottle Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:55 am

"Why are you up so early?"

"I had a nightmare I was doing my exam and ran out of time."

#truestory No

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:50 am

Bluebottle wrote:That's nice. Smile Winter goes by too fast. Sad

Not for me it dont ! Im fooking freezing ! And as for spiders ?? better that than this ! pale

Just...................whatever [6] - Page 21 Th_it_s_raining_snakes__hallelujah_by_snake_artist-d9jyg4a_zps883upqtg

Just...................whatever [6] - Page 21 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Just...................whatever [6] - Page 21 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:27 am

Hi Halvsie. What are you up to. Every time I watch Seinfeld you come to mind. Tell me a little of your exciting life
Hi Julia.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:23 pm

I'm in a conference in Burlington Vermont right now.  Actually playing hooky a little this morning on account of the maple syrup liqueur among other things I had last night while exploring the town.  The snow's coming down outside the window quite prettily, and after a few more sips of water I'll be a good boy, get up and go to the conference.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:36 pm

That is a good boy

Here it is semi desert, so one day we are in t shirts and jeans, the next day hugging our umbrellas and sloshing about, and the next we are sledding and building snowmen.
What is your conference about, where are you staying? If you don't think me too impertinent.
Where is Petty, alright is he then?
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Climate adaptation conference. I have a view of Lake Champlain out my window.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:39 pm

halfwise wrote:Climate adaptation conference.  I have a view of Lake Champlain out my window.

Are we adapting to it, or it to us? confused

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:49 pm

I think both. That climate adaptation conference in Vermont seems exactly for the residents of this town. I really wish I could adapt to the deep cold on bad days. Nothing seems to help, roaring fireplace, central heat, steaming hot beverages, six more blankets.
Well have a good good time Halvsie. Come home safe.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi LeeLee Wave
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:26 am

halfwise wrote:Climate adaptation conference.  I have a view of Lake Champlain out my window.

I was staying just on the other side of the lake from where you are now about a month ago. Was barely any snow (by upstate NY standards) at the time, though. Damn adapting climate.* Mad

*No idea if it actually had anything to do with climate change, or if it was El Nino, or just a normal variation.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:19 am

A single warm summer can safely be attributed to El Nino.  You'll need about 10 of them before you start pointing to climate change, but we've got the trend going back decades, so that's pretty much in the bag.

Are we adapting to it, or it to us? confused

I like that.

We had a dinner speaker who had done work on the psychology of climate change.  You can ask the same question and get totally different answers from liberals and republicans depending on whether or not you preface it with "Climate scientist believe..."

• ...that global warming will result in coastal flooding.
• ...that nuclear power contributes to global warming.

If you don't preface it with "Climate scientist believe..." the liberals will agree with the first question while conservatives disagree.  If you put in the preface, both will agree.

On the second question without the preface, liberals tend to agree while conservatives disagree, but if you put in the preface, they both disagree.

What's going on?  Well, without the preface attributing the statement to climate scientists, the answers reflect on the respondents, who will provide the party line.  The preface allows them to separate their responses from their affiliation, and hence provide the scientifically correct answer.

So everyone knows the scientifically correct answers, but if you phrase it so their own beliefs are being questioned, they identify with their group affiliation.

Pretty amazing stuff.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 am

So after the conferance, how are you actually supposed to apply what you heard?
I am a member of Greenpeace and we had a big rally to draw attention to the problem. It felt weird because I was the one who did the reporting, wrote up the news. This time I merely took part.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:23 pm

If this dont make you yak up your Easter Eggs ?...............................

Just...................whatever [6] - Page 21 Poopy%20baby_zpsdjxqwudh

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Happy Easter tho guys Smile I love you

Just...................whatever [6] - Page 21 Easter-eggs-hanging-from--001_zpshiprvuev

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:51 pm

leelee wrote:So after the conferance, how are you actually supposed to apply what you heard?
I am a member of Greenpeace and we had a big rally to draw attention to the problem. It felt weird because I was the one who did the reporting, wrote up the news. This time I merely took part.

it was mainly climate scientists presenting tools developed for presenting climate information to the public, and government agencies reporting on what they had been seeing and doing.  I think the main benefit for us was finding new datasets and quick sources of information.  

But for the larger question, businesses and governments are hungry for climate information even if they publicly deny that we have anything to do with it (hence implicitly denying faith in the projections based upon human causes).  They need to do long term planning.  It seems the best way to help with climate change acceptance is through application of future scenarios, leading into discussions of the spread in predictions due to various uncertainties in the inputs.  You have to stop pushing people into their idealogical islands via confrontation, and work with them to their benefit in ways that skirt arguments.

I've long been upset by the liberal tendency to exaggerate the risk of climate change into the-sky-is-falling territory.  Pointing out the economic threats is sufficient.  Stop calling this the greatest threat to mankind (it isn't by miles) or even saying the planet is sick (that can be attributed to toxic pollutants, not greenhouse gasses).  Stop trying to back people into a corner: give them room to think clearly.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:37 pm

Well Halsie, I have never really bought into it, because, studying ancient writings from Royal households in different situations, I was amazed at how the legayes and senators, the captain's of ships, etc already were concerned. Things seem to go in cycles.
It is the general pollution from factories and such, that dump and care nothing for the terrifying illness that follow, the childhod cancers and neurological damage that follows that breaks me.
So how is it in your little closet ?Ever see Jerry or Elaine or the Soup Nazi.? Never boring.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:31 pm

I can walk to the diner they used as the exterior for Monk's Diner.  It's the same Tom's Diner that was the inspiration for the Suzanne Vega song, just a couple blocks from Columbia University. But almost nobody in NYC goes to the same restaurant day after day. The idea that 4 people would do that was probably the biggest fiction in Seinfeld.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:32 am

That leaves so much scope for imagination. as Anne Shirely was won't to say. You all have such fine minds. How did I get here?
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:44 pm

{{{The regeneration cycle}}}

Regeneration ->
I hate this guy ->
He's ok, I guess, but the last one was better ->
Best. Doctor. Ever. ->
No! There is no way you can replace him! ->
Regeneration

{{{Viva le revolution! Moon }}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:23 pm

Just...................whatever [6] - Page 21 Tumblr_nyp38iZ9B31qksquzo1_1280

Oh.. I don't know. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Laughing I love you
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:52 pm

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:33 pm

The only semi intelligent thing I can say today is that I love and admire each and every one of you. Bless this place. Love it.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Love you too Leelee. And while we're at it, I'm sure you love and admire Norc too.  So....go find her and bring her back.  I suggest bringing some straps for tie-down. Twisted Evil

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum