halfwise
Pettytyrant101
Tinuviel
Ringdrotten
malickfan
17 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Member list, post counts and the Dominance of TORn - Page 5 Empty Re: Member list, post counts and the Dominance of TORn

Post by RA Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:36 am

I wonder if the slowdown is related at all to Bree being off the map now. Or maybe it's just a byproduct of how awful these films turned out? Malick raised a good point; What will happen to the fandom a lot sites like Torn enjoy after the trilogy is over? Or just the fandom in general?

malickfan wrote:As Christopher Tolkien seems likely to choose a successor to his role as literary executor with views similar to his *Cough Scull and Hammond*, it's going to be hillarious seeing them report no more movies (Alot of people on the forum seem to think Christopher Tolkien owes them films, that's he's in the wrong for letting the books remain as his father wanted) and interesting to see if the site places the Tolkien fandom ahead of the Tolkien Estate.

I never understood that mindset of casting Christopher Tolkien in the villain's role that so many enjoy doing. Especially after the films are over, the Tolkien Estate would be the only source of new content a la Children of Hurin. Unless WB plans on doing something else with the IP outside of those terrible games. I shudder to think of a show or something in their hands.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Member list, post counts and the Dominance of TORn - Page 5 Empty Re: Member list, post counts and the Dominance of TORn

Post by Eldorion Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:06 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:I wonder if the slowdown is related at all to Bree being off the map now. Or maybe it's just a byproduct of how awful these films turned out? Malick raised a good point; What will happen to the fandom a lot sites like Torn enjoy after the trilogy is over? Or just the fandom in general?

Having lost Bree has definitely not helped Forumshire. Bree (and the outreach programs of Petty and others) was our biggest source of new members for about two years, and we don't have anything obvious to replace it. However, this slowdown is affecting almost all Tolkien forums. TORn is still chugging along, but it's unique at this point in how high-profile it is. Other forums, even ones that are 15 years old or so by now, have slowed to an even lesser pace than we have. Forumshire is actually doing pretty well, relatively speaking. That doesn't say much for the prospects of non-TORn forums once The Hobbit hype is over. The rejuvenating effect on the fandom was far, far less than hoped/expected. I expect we'll see an increase in the number of zombie sites (those forums still online where the only posts are the ones asking where everyone went), and even the ones that still host communities will experience a permanent slowdown. The same thing happened after the LOTR hype faded, but that was coming down from a much higher starting point.

I never understood that mindset of casting Christopher Tolkien in the villain's role that so many enjoy doing. Especially after the films are over, the Tolkien Estate would be the only source of new content a la Children of Hurin. Unless WB plans on doing something else with the IP outside of those terrible games. I shudder to think of a show or something in their hands.

There was a pretty consistent flow of new material at every-couple-year intervals from from 1977 to 1996 (when the History of Middle-earth was completed), and again in the middle of the 2000s (when Hammond & Scull flourished and the History of The Hobbit was finally published).  Since 2007, however, the only new release of Tolkien stuff that I can think of at the moment is The Art of The Hobbit, published in 2012 to coincide with AUJ, but that was a pretty minor offering and I don't believe it included any new written material.  Christopher Tolkien has focused on publishing and highlighting his father's non-Middle-earth works since Children of Hurin (also from 2007), which while cool, was expressly a one-off thing that would not be followed by other polished novels from the legendarium.  I don't expect that we will see much in the way of new Middle-earth material in print.  Most of it is out there in one form or another by now.

Onscreen is a different story.  Considering that WB and JK Rowling are on track to turn a 50 page parody textbook into a trilogy of movies, I'm bracing myself for any number of possibilities when it comes to LOTR spin-off films and/or shows.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:OK, not funny any more- is the bloody dog there or not cause I've got twigs sticking in my tender parts and a squirrel eyeing up my nuts  Evil or Very Mad 
How did this start!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Eldorion wrote:Most of it is out there in one form or another by now.

I can think of a few things that aren't: In Hammond and Scull's Companion and Guide they list around 50 unpublished poems, several of which relate to Middle Earth (an unfinished 170 line poem about Turin for instance), Christopher Tolkien mentions in The Lays of Beleriand an unfinished prose version of The Lay of Leithian, in The Lord Of The Rings: A Readers Companion' Hammond and Scull quote from unpublished material (including an alternate, very different draft of 'The Hunt For The Ring', various miscellaneous notes and extracts of unpublished letters), and I've seen a few other references to other manuscripts from time to time on the internet i.e. a note associated with 'The Tale of Arwen and Aragorn' that detailed the home base of the Rangers of The North.

It's also clear from looking online, and in the various HOME volumes, that the drafts of LOTR, The Silmarillion and The Hobbit edited and published by C.Tolkien, and John D Rateliff are only a part of the total material that exists:

http://www.marquette.edu/library/archives/tolkien.shtml

The E.L.F:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Elvish_Linguistic_Fellowship

Are still in the process of publishing Tolkien's linguistic writings (I recall reading somewhere that this material extends to several thousand pages).

In terms of Tolkien's writing not about Middle Earth...there's alot.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:46 pm

THIS FORUM WILL NEVER DIE BECAUSE WE HAVE DOCTOR WHO AND SHERLOCK AND MOVIES IN GENERAL AND THE NEXT FREAKING STAR WARS MOVIES AND ALL THOSE MARVEL MOVIES AND LIKE PROBABLY MORE STAR TREK MOVIES FOR PETTY TO RANT OVER AND OMG WE WILL SURVIIIIIVE!!!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Recoveryanonymous wrote:I wonder if the slowdown is related at all to Bree being off the map now. Or maybe it's just a byproduct of how awful these films turned out? Malick raised a good point; What will happen to the fandom a lot sites like Torn enjoy after the trilogy is over? Or just the fandom in general?

Having lost Bree has definitely not helped Forumshire.  Bree (and the outreach programs of Petty and others) was our biggest source of new members for about two years Nod , and we don't have anything obvious to replace itI joined Bree rather late, early 2012 I think, and I can't actually recall any major 'outreach program until nearer it's demise, maybe I missed an exodus? Did all the 'first agers' here post on Bree at some point?.  However, this slowdown is affecting almost all Tolkien forums.  TORn is still chugging along, but it's unique at this point in how high-profile it is.  Other forums, even ones that are 15 years oldReally? Which ones? The Oldest I know of is The Barrowdowns, an impressive beacon of knowledge and crabbit or so by now, have slowed to an even lesser pace than we have.  Forumshire is actually doing pretty well, relatively speakingAlthough, in fairness we do have sverl major off topic forums, alot of the other forums I'm aware of are rather more traditional, you won't see discusion on the Gaza conflict or oddly shaped Carrots on Minas Tirirth or TORc.  That doesn't say much for the prospects of non-TORn forums once The Hobbit hype is over.  The rejuvenating effect on the fandom was far, far less than hoped/expected Even the president of the Tolkien Society has noticed it-I'll post the interview below.  I expect we'll see an increase in the number of zombie sites (those forums still online where the only posts are the ones asking where everyone went), and even the ones that still host communities will experience a permanent slowdown.  The same thing happened after the LOTR hype faded, but that was coming down from a much higher starting point.

I never understood that mindset of casting Christopher Tolkien in the villain's role that so many enjoy doingI've actually seen the attitude expressed on TORn, more than once, that C.Tolkien owes fans A Silmarillion film, and is doing his father a disservice by being so protective. Especially after the films are over, the Tolkien Estate would be the only source of new content a la Children of Hurin. Unless WB plans on doing something else with the IP outside of those terrible gamesThey has the rights to the apparently hugely extensive Appendices  Rolling Eyes . I shudder to think of a show or something in their hands.

There was a pretty consistent flow of new material at every-couple-year intervals from from 1977 to 1996 (when the History of Middle-earth was completed), and again in the middle of the 2000s (when Hammond & Scull flourished and the History of The Hobbit was finally published).  Since 2007, however, the only new release of Tolkien stuff that I can think of at the moment is The Art of The Hobbit, published in 2012 to coincide with AUJ, but that was a pretty minor offering and I don't believe it included any new written material.  Christopher Tolkien has focused on publishing and highlighting his father's non-Middle-earth works since Children of Hurin (also from 2007), which while cool, was expressly a one-off thing that would not be followed by other polished novels from the legendarium.  I don't expect that we will see much in the way of new Middle-earth material in printperhaps not new, but maybe alternative material?.  Most of it is out there in one form or another by now.

Onscreen is a different story.  Considering that WB and JK Rowling are on track to turn a 50 page parody textbook It was for charity though into a trilogy of moviesSix if Jackson gets involved..., I'm bracing myself for any number of possibilities when it comes to LOTR spin-off films and/or shows.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Norc wrote:THIS FORUM WILL NEVER DIE BECAUSE WE HAVE DOCTOR WHO AND SHERLOCK AND MOVIES IN GENERAL AND THE NEXT FREAKING STAR WARS MOVIES AND ALL THOSE MARVEL MOVIES AND LIKE PROBABLY MORE STAR TREK MOVIES FOR PETTY TO RANT OVER AND OMG WE WILL SURVIIIIIVE!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Metal Thumbs Up 

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Well said (and colourfully said) Norc!  Nod

How did this start!- Forest

With an ugly big mutt and a lovely, but rather fearsome Queen! How else do these things start?  Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:36 am

malickfan wrote:It's also clear from looking online, and in the various HOME volumes, that the drafts of LOTR, The Silmarillion and The Hobbit edited and published by C.Tolkien, and John D Rateliff are only a part of the total material that exists:

Are still in the process of publishing Tolkien's linguistic writings (I recall reading somewhere that this material extends to several thousand pages).

I heard what you're saying Malick, and I'm aware of some of the stuff you mentioned (though not all of it, in part because I still haven't read much of the History of The Hobbit. But I'm not sure how much of that we'll be seeing, at least not in book form. More stuff might make it out in the peer-reviewed journals, but in terms of books that most people will be able to get their hands on, The History of Middle-earth was already reeeeeally stretching the boundaries of popular interest. I suppose we could see more explicitly academic books (from University publishers, with limited printing runs and aimed at a dedicated scholarly audience), but that's not going to do much to fire up the fandom. I'm not trying to be a cynic, but I'd be surprised if there are any major revelations remaining. It seems to be largely filling in the gaps. I agree that looking at something like The History of The Lord of the Rings, it obviously doesn't include ever single draft ever written, but the law of diminishing returns will kick in at some point.

I fully expect to see more non-Middle-earth writings published in the near future, and potentially for quite some time after that, but I don't think that Tales from the Perilous Realm, Sigurd and Gudrun, The Fall of Arthur, or the new Beowulf translation have really made much of a splash in either the fandom or popular culture as a whole. With The Children of Hurin, there was a good deal of buzz over "the first new novel from the author of LOTR in 30 years", but with each new book, there's less excitement, given that they're unlike Tolkien's most famous works and consist of a ton of footnotes and editorial explanations. That's not to say that the effort put into preparing these works for publication was wasted, since they're very valuable for people who are interested in such topics, but I don't think it's going to grow the fandom or lay the groundwork for future film adaptations or anything.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:50 am

malickfan wrote:I joined Bree rather late, early 2012 I think, and I can't actually recall any major 'outreach program until nearer it's demise, maybe I missed an exodus? Did all the 'first agers' here post on Bree at some point?

I talk about this a little bit in my history of Forumshire, but a lot of members of Bree joined Forumshire in the last two months of 2011, largely due to the ambassadorial efforts of Petty, but also because Bree was undergoing some technical troubles at that time.  Previously, several members of Forumshire, Petty and Orwell the most prominent, had begun posting on Bree.  After this, quite a few Bree-landers stuck around (including Mrs Figg, Norc, Dave, and Sin) while also posting on Bree.  There continued to be an exchange of members between the two sites, but in 2012 and 2013 the flow was mainly from Bree to here, culminating in the final exodus as Bree sadly went under.

Really? Which ones? The Oldest I know of is The Barrowdowns, an impressive beacon of knowledge and crabbit

Barrow-downs is indeed a pretty cool forum, though sadly not very active these days.  The oldest places for Tolkien discussion online are not actually forums, but e-mail lists for languages (TolkLang being the oldest) and newsgroups (alt.fan.tolkien and rec.arts.books.tolkien).  The first known forum dedicated to Tolkien on the web began on Michael Martinez's Xenite.org network in 1997, but forums did not start to crop up in earnest until 1999, when the LOTR hype first kicked into high gear as tons of announcements regarding the film were being made early in the year.  Probably the oldest still around are theonering.com (not to be confused with the similarly named TORn) and entmoot.com, though there were many others that have since gone away.  TORn also began in 1999 though I'm not sure when it's early forums began, and they were deleted years ago anyway (their current forum began in 2007).

Although, in fairness we do have sverl major off topic forums, alot of the other forums I'm aware of are rather more traditional, you won't see discusion on the Gaza conflict or oddly shaped Carrots on Minas Tirirth or TORc

TORC (and its offshoots, board77.org and thehalloffire.net) is actually something of a hub for political and religious discussion within Tolkien fandom.  This is unusual on the whole, however.  It is common to have off-topic forums, though.  Tolkien-based role-playing in particular is a very important part of several sites.  And heck, even TORn has a massive Off-Topic forum.  That was their largest section until fairly recently, when their Hobbit forum overtook it.  We definitely have looser restrictions on what can be posted here though, you're definitely right about that.  This partly reflects itself in the multitude of strange threads and tangents, but I'm also quite proud of the fact that ours is (just about) the only major Tolkien forum where you can say fuck and not have a mod come after you. Smile

I've actually seen the attitude expressed on TORn, more than once, that C.Tolkien owes fans A Silmarillion film, and is doing his father a disservice by being so protective

There are a fair number of misconceptions about Christopher's role in the Estate, what rights his father gave him, and the mission he has sought to fulfill.  Regardless, the vitriol directed his way is really dumb.

It was for charity though

Don't get me wrong, Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch Through the Ages are super-cute and I loved reading them, especially when I was younger, but the film series is going to have barely anything to do with the book.

Last edited by Eldorion on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:51 am

I applaud your enthusiasm, Norc. Nod I think it's really good that we've diversified our topics for discussion and I think we stand well-poised to endure fairly far into the post-Hobbit era. That's something that's been on my mind many times over the past several years, and I think the most important factor is a close-knit community, which I think we have in spades.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:11 am

We shall endure!!!!  Nod 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:57 am

Member list, post counts and the Dominance of TORn - Page 5 Lordoftherings_78ae55_4171197_zpsef6e4936

Member list, post counts and the Dominance of TORn - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Member list, post counts and the Dominance of TORn - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:59 am

Laughing 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:57 pm

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Carcharoth Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:27 pm

That's brilliant Azriel Very Happy
Carcharoth
Carcharoth
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:07 am

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:51 am

lol! Halfy

Member list, post counts and the Dominance of TORn - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Member list, post counts and the Dominance of TORn - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Eldorion wrote:
malickfan wrote:It's also clear from looking online, and in the various HOME volumes, that the drafts of LOTR, The Silmarillion and The Hobbit edited and published by C.Tolkien, and John D Rateliff are only a part of the total material that exists:

I heard what you're saying Malick, and I'm aware of some of the stuff you mentioned (though not all of it, in part because I still haven't read much of the History of The Hobbit.  But I'm not sure how much of that we'll be seeing, at least not in book form.  More stuff might make it out in the peer-reviewed journals, but in terms of books that most people will be able to get their hands on, The History of Middle-earth was already reeeeeally stretching the boundaries of popular interest.  I suppose we could see more explicitly academic books (from University publishers, with limited printing runs and aimed at a dedicated scholarly audience), but that's not going to do much to fire up the fandom.  I'm not trying to be a cynic, but I'd be surprised if there are any major revelations remaining.  It seems to be largely filling in the gaps.  I agree that looking at something like The History of The Lord of the Rings, it obviously doesn't include ever single draft ever written, but the law of diminishing returns will kick in at some point.

I fully expect to see more non-Middle-earth writings published in the near future, and potentially for quite some time after that, but I don't think that Tales from the Perilous Realm, Sigurd and Gudrun, The Fall of Arthur, or the new Beowulf translation have really made much of a splash in either the fandom or popular culture as a whole.  With The Children of Hurin, there was a good deal of buzz over "the first new novel from the author of LOTR in 30 years", but with each new book, there's less excitement, given that they're unlike Tolkien's most famous works and consist of a ton of footnotes and editorial explanations.  That's not to say that the effort put into preparing these works for publication was wasted, since they're very valuable for people who are interested in such topics, but I don't think it's going to grow the fandom or lay the groundwork for future film adaptations or anything.

Once again, I feel like I have very little to contribute after reading you super detailed reply (being kinda drunken doesn't help) but you have raised a few interesting points. Whoever succeeds Christopher Tolkien as literary executor, is going to find themselves in a very different position, whereas C.T had total creative control over what and when to publish, with the full attention of a much smaller fanbase (and the benefit of personal connection to the material), Tolkien is now engraved in popular culture in a way he arguably wasn't twenty or thirty years ago, with much closer scrutiny and wider information available on his writing, it's going to be interesting to see if the Tolkien Estate does makes a move towards 'the scholar' rather than 'the storytelller' aspects of his writing (i.e publishing more of his academic writings/linguistic essays, over other drafts/poems about middle earth), and takes the opportunity to showcase the other aspects of his work, from the scholarly books about Tolkien I've read, there does seem to be a sizeable gap between those who study him, and those who read his work, any other posthumous works might find it hard to strike a middle ground I guess (as you say the H.O.ME was pushing it a bit-easy to get hold of, but not the easiest books to read...)

With each new release I've seen less and less excitement amongst the broader fanbase, and even less interest amongst critics (a lot of the reviews of his Beowulf translation were pretty cynical if you ask me, viewing the book as a cash in of sorts, which in a way, I guess it was, the L of S+G and The Fall of Arthur on the other hand seemed to leave alot of casual readers a bit perplexed), whatever 'scraps' are left, I guess it might be just as hard to find an audience, as it is to convince the publishers (I have read several proposed Tolkien releases were nixed for this very reason-lack of faith that they would sell- an 'Extended' The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son, and an expanded editon of Letters for instance)-somewhat ironic given Tolkien's reputation as 'Author of the Century'.

Whatever the next decade or two hold in store, I don't feel like I have an objective view on this (I first read LOTR in 2007, after watching the movies multiple times, I had never) but I certainly think it's going to be interesting to see it unfold.

Not sure if that made a great deal of sense  drunken 

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:09 pm

That made sense to me, malick, and I'd just like to say that I really appreciate you engaging me with these long, back-and-forth, in-depth discussions. Not only does it give me an excuse to ramble at length about stuff that I find interesting, but your posts make me think about things that I sometimes had become complacent about. It's a lot of fun and often quite thought-provoking. So thanks! Thumbs Up

I think I had heard about the Extended Homecoming, but I appreciate you bringing it up again. I think it's a good example of the boundaries of popular interest in Tolkien. The Tolkien Reader of the 1960s (which is one of the only legal ways to read Homecoming) was an example of at attempt at using Tolkien's massive mainstream popularity at that time to shed light on his lesser-known works. I think it succeeded to some extent, but when most people talk about Tolkien, they're really just talking about Middle-earth. Furthermore, an interest in Middle-earth does not necessarily equate to an interest in Tolkien's life or other works, even for those who delve deeply into the legendarium material.

It would be interesting to see if Tolkien's own academic and linguistic writings start to see the light of day, though I suspect that if they do, it will be limited to journal articles or appendices to other books, rather than being published on their own. If they are, it will probably be as extremely limited runs from university presses. Tolkien was a famous and successful philologist, but philology is a pretty obscure branch of the academic tree. Personally, I'm more interested to see if we get more scholarly books about Tolkien and the legendarium. Hammond & Scull arguably closed the book on general biographies with the Companion and Guide, but I think there's still room for further study on specific matters. John Garth's Tolkien and the Great War has achieved significant acclaim for its biological and literary analytical work on a specific topic, and it's probably easier to get into than the massive C&G. Stuff like this is unlikely to attract as much mainstream attention as new fiction, though.

Undoubtedly, people growing up in the 2010s and 2020s will continue to discover and love Tolkien, just as people growing up in the '70s did, despite the dearth of new material. There is now so much out there, mostly but by no means exclusively thanks to Christopher Tolkien, that one can spend years reading and studying it and still have lots more to discover if one is interested enough. I know that's true of me. I think Tolkien is ingrained enough in popular culture that he isn't going away (and was even before the movies). The majority of people will continue to engage with his writing strictly as works of pop culture, as has been the case since at least the '60s, but I'm sure the scholarly community will find more to say about the man and his work.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:00 am

Eldorion wrote:That made sense to me, malick], and I'd just like to say that I really appreciate you engaging me with these long, back-and-forth, in-depth discussions This might be the last of the booze talking, but It's my pleasure Eldo, as well as being a very fair, hard working Mod, you certainly come across as one of the most mature, thoughtful persons I'm come across on the internet, you really should write more on your website you know.  Not only does it give me an excuse to ramble at length about stuff that I find interesting, but your posts make me think about things that I sometimes had become complacent about.  It's a lot of fun That's the one word you'd use?  But yeah it's always interesting to get your thoughts on things Eldo, instead of one sentence, you often have a dozen and often quite thought-provoking.  So thanks! Thumbs Up

I think I had heard about the Extended Homecoming, but I appreciate you bringing it up againI think I read about on the Mythsoc Group on Yahoo, typing in 'Unpublished writings by Tolkien' on the internet does lead to some very interesting things.  I think it's a good example of the boundaries of popular interest in Tolkien.  The Tolkien Reader of the 1960s (which is one of the only legal ways to read Homecoming)In the UK (maybe Canada or Europe as well, I'm not sure whether Harper Collins publishes internationally), you can read it in the revised edtion of Tree and Leaf-it also contains Tolkien's poem 'Mythopeia' which for some reason never seems to have been reprinted was an example of at attempt at using Tolkien's massive mainstream popularity at that time to shed light on his lesser-known worksI get why the Tolkien Estate is a bit cautious of being seen to cash in, but I can't help but feel they haven't used the publicity from the films as well as they could have.  I think it succeeded to some extent, but when most people talk about Tolkien, they're really just talking about Middle-earth.  Furthermore, an interest in Middle-earth does not necessarily equate to an interest in Tolkien's life or other worksWell for me it did, I only bought Hammond and Scull's massive Companion and Guide two(?) weeks ago, it's quite simply brilliant! if confusing-no contents page, even for those who delve deeply into the legendarium material.

It would be interesting to see if Tolkien's own academic and linguistic writings start to see the light of day, though I suspect that if they do, it will be limited to journal articles or appendices to other books, rather than being published on their ownI think the journal 'Tolkien Studies' is reprinting some of his earlier academic works-but that is the central point (or one of them) I was making, is Tolkien's work as a academic of more or less importance?, and does the average reader deserve easy access to it? I would love to read Tolkien's http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Story_of_Kullervo but I don't think I'll ever be able to.  If they are, it will probably be as extremely limited runs from university presses.  Tolkien was a famous and successful philologist, but philology is a pretty obscure branch of the academic tree.  Personally, I'm more interested to see if we get more scholarly books about Tolkien and the legendariumWe will, just have a look at Amazon, you'd be surprised just how many books 'about' Tolkien are published, I've read little beyond Tom Shippey, Carpenter and Garth, but by and large very little grabs me.  Hammond & Scull arguably closed the book on general biographies with the Companion and GuideHaving recently aquired this set, I'm inclined to (partiallty) agree with you, but I think there's still room for further study on specific matters.  John Garth's Tolkien and the Great War has achieved significant acclaim Which it deserves, excellent bookfor its biological and literary analytical work on a specific topic, and it's probably easier to get into than the massive C&GYes, and no, my only real problem with Garth's book was it's depedance on teh reader having a good knowledge of the BOLT (I have read the BOLT, twice, but they aren't exactly easy books to follow), akthough Tolkien deinfed WW1 had an influence on LOTR, at times it felt like Garth's book was a little obscure for the average readers, I certainly think The Somme had an influence on Sam and Frodo's jotuney across Mordor, in general I've got the impression alot of literay critics write crisitm for other critics, not for readers, Garth's book, at times felt it was unsure which group it was aimed towards.  Stuff like this is unlikely to attract as much mainstream attention as new fiction, though.It still sells, apparently, jduging by the amount of books about/by/loosely related to Tolkien published very month

Undoubtedly, people growing up in the 2010s and 2020s will continue to discover and love Tolkien, just as people growing up in the '70s did, despite the dearth of new materialI wouldn't be surprised(well, ok I'm hoping), if looonnnggg down the line the Tolkien estate authorised the manuscripts of LOTR, Hobbit etc to be published entirely....  There is now so much out there, mostly but by no means exclusively thanks to Christopher Tolkien, that one can spend years reading and studying it and still have lots more to discover if one is interested enoughI've owned the H.O.M.E set for nearly two years, but I've probably only really read half of it.  I know that's true of me.  I think Tolkien is ingrained enough in popular culture that he isn't going away (and was even before the movies)Given there is at least three Biopic films planned, I don't think cinema's going to forget him any time soon.  The majority of people will continue to engage with his writing strictly as works of pop culture, as has been the case since at least the '60s, but I'm sure the scholarly community will find more to say about the man and his workThat's the thing though, is Tolkien (well, middle earth at least) now too ingrained in pop culture via the films, to be appreciated the way he used to be?.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:10 am

That might be the most puzzling post I ever saw.  Shocked

Not that that is negative in any way, mind. Nay, an achievement.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:27 pm

I don't recall even writing that, and I'm not entirely sure what I was going on about.

scratch drunken

Looks like I'm a very early favourite for the 'Most confusing post of 2014' award...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:35 pm

I had meant to reply to that post since we were in the middle of a discussion, but I was still recovering from Otakon and then quickly headed to the beach, so I never got around to it. Embarassed

But I really enjoy getting to conversate with Malick, especially since he humors me when I start going on and on about forum dynamics and fandom history. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm certainly not saying these discussions on forum dynamics and fandom history can't be interesting. Just not sure I have all that much of interest to contribute to the conversation. Wink

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next